Author Topic: Looking for 4k monitor experiences ...  (Read 2256 times)

Offline MrFex

Looking for 4k monitor experiences ...
« on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 12:25:26 »
Hi friends ..

As of today I own a 4k monitor. The LG 27UD68-P to be precise, it's a beauty considering the price. Anyway I am looking for some cool desktop enhancement software specifically for UHD resolutions. To clarify I am not scaling my desktop/OS using software so I have a lot of space.

I'm abandoning my 1080-2k-1080 3-monitor setup for this and I could use a few tools to make life a little easier. If you have any suggestions I'd love to know. I'm always on the lookout for desktop enhancement software.

Thanks

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
Re: Looking for 4k monitor experiences ...
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 16:02:48 »
I briefly went to a 4K 24" - I ended up returning it because of a manufacturing flaw, but I was not very happy with the overall experience (on windows 7).  Perhaps on a 27 or 30in this is less of an issue, but I was noticing some applications scale well and some don't.  If you use everything in native its tiny, if you scale that is where you encounter issues.  Chrome was particularly bad because I zoomed in to like 150% on sites, but the tabs and url bar was tiny.  This was about a year ago so perhaps things have gotten better.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 16:30:59 »
NO..  just wait

DO NOT get 4k YET..

it seems the 120hz 144hz 4k monitors are coming within a year..

--they are better regardless of how many fps your graphics card is outputting. --

Given that you can't really watch many 4k movies until at least a year anyway..

4K is not a good investment now,  Especially since there is absolutely NONE with ULMB..

Don't be the person who's not using a ULMB monitor..  Night and Day difference in terms of motion clarity.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 16:42:33 »
whatever you do,   stay away from 2560x1440, or 2560x1600.. I've been using 2560x1600 since year 2007..

These are dead end monitors at this point.. do not buy them..

Offline MrFex

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 16:55:41 »
I basically traded my Dell U3011 (2560x1600) for the one I am sporting now.  :thumb:
I'll be down and ready to invest some real money when ultra wide 4k (non of that 1440 rubbish) is coming.

Good points though

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 17:02:38 »
I used to use a 4k at a previous workplace, and it was awesome. Granted, there are not many movies to watch, but that wasn't the purpose. MUCH clearer fonts made my eyes very, very happy. Having set my desktop to zoom everything in, including widgets and whatnot, not even the chrome tab ears were small. All comfy.

This post from Jeff Atwood is a good read on the topic.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 21:46:46 »
4K pfffft.

Just get a 5K 27" iMac - everything scales perfectly.  Lovely display.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MrFex

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 09:17:34 »
Oh well. Am really happy with it anyway.  :cool:

One of the other things that I am happy with, is the Windows 10 virtual desktop features. I haven't used third party apps with that functionality for a while because of the triple monitor setup but the built-in windows feature is really superior. CTRL+WIN+D and CTRL+WIN+Arrows  :thumb: