Author Topic: Action Jackson  (Read 3448 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Action Jackson
« on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 16:40:55 »
I wonder if any of you remember the 1988 blaxploitation film Action Jackson, starring Carl Weathers, who played Apollo Creed in the Rocky films.

I'm asking because it's always intrigued me how "Action Jackson" doesn't really rhyme, but it's close enough to a rhyme that it seems to rhyme. But it doesn't. And sometimes, once you start saying "Action Jackson", you can't stop saying it, because you get the idea that if you say it enough times it eventually will rhyme.

Since many of you are so detailed-oriented, I wondered if that kind of thing would intrigue you too. If you don't want to end up saying "Action Jackson" over and over for an indefinite period of time, though, I suggest you avoid saying it in the first place.

This seemed like an appropriately random non-keyboard-related thing to post here in Off Topic—which, BTW, admins, is a compound adjective that should be hyphenated:

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, while this topic itself isn't keyboard-related, I am using a keyboard to post it.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
Re: Action Jackson
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 16:51:48 »
This needs more visibility for the disgraceful grammatical error.  You mods need to pick up your typing game.   (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 00:52:30 »
I too know of this film and have had that very thought on the titles dubious rhyming scheme.

You are not alone in this struggle my brother. There's nothing wrong with it.There are dozens of us. DOZENS!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 04:16:14 »
I feel more normal every time I come here.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 05:46:28 »
Well,  blaxploitation is wobbly a concept, because while it technically started as white financed movies about black,

Most blaxploitation films are now black financed/produced..

Is that still blaxploitation ?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 04:21:11 »
Well,  blaxploitation is wobbly a concept, because while it technically started as white financed movies about black [people], most blaxploitation films are now black financed/produced... Is that still blaxploitation ?

It's hard to say. I don't see how movies designed to appeal to blacks by exaggerating images of black machismo are any better than movies that do the same with white power stereotypes, from James Bond on down. One man's tux is another man's hoodie.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 05:59:52 »
I'd say 'Action Jackson' qualifies as a rhyme, just not as pleasingly. It's like a slightly slurred rhyme were like you said it loops in your head while trying to make it rhyme more clearly. Words that seem to rhyme but in fact don't are interesting.

There's a verse from an old Marshal Mathers song (I'm certainly no fan but it was catchy enough at the time to remember) that has this effect:

I'm like a head trip to listen to, cause I'm only giving you
Things you joke about with your friends inside your living room

Here 'things' is subtly and almost inexplicably rhymed with 'friends' and 'giving you' with 'living room'. Taken on their own the words don't rhyme yet together with a bit of emphasis it works and made for a more rewarding scheme than an ending rhyme.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 09:31:09 »
I'd say 'Action Jackson' qualifies as a rhyme, just not as pleasingly. It's like a slightly slurred rhyme were like you said it loops in your head while trying to make it rhyme more clearly. Words that seem to rhyme but in fact don't are interesting.

There's a verse from an old Eminem song (I'm certainly no fan but it was catchy enough at the time to remember) that has this effect:

Here 'things' is subtly and almost inexplicably rhymed with 'friends' and 'giving you' with 'living room'. Taken on their own the words don't rhyme yet together with a bit of emphasis it works and made for a more rewarding scheme than an ending rhyme.

There, much better.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 09:57:15 »
Well,  blaxploitation is wobbly a concept, because while it technically started as white financed movies about black [people], most blaxploitation films are now black financed/produced... Is that still blaxploitation ?

It's hard to say. I don't see how movies designed to appeal to blacks by exaggerating images of black machismo are any better than movies that do the same with white power stereotypes, from James Bond on down. One man's tux is another man's hoodie.

Movies are always exaggerations though...

The reality is,  EVERYONE likes Fried Chicken, Watermelon and Orange Soda..

Offline Coreda

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 20:11:37 »
There, much better.

I can never bring myself to use the stage name tbh. Wouldn't even use it if I were a fan. There's too much baggage there, let's be honest.

Movies are always exaggerations though...

The reality is,  EVERYONE likes Fried Chicken, Watermelon and Orange Soda..

Uggh, orange soda.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 03:25:26 »
I'd say 'Action Jackson' qualifies as a rhyme, just not as pleasingly. It's like a slightly slurred rhyme were like you said it loops in your head while trying to make it rhyme more clearly. Words that seem to rhyme but in fact don't are interesting... There's a verse from an old Marshal Mathers song (I'm certainly no fan but it was catchy enough at the time to remember) that has this effect:

Interesting point—but apples 'n' oranges here, I think. On one hand, you have a modern form of poetry, a compromise between strict rhyme and free verse. On the other, you have a two-word '80s film title where similar vowel sounds are surrounded by dissimilar consonants, and which, when you say it, sounds like you're trying to talk while operating an air hammer.

Movies are always exaggerations though... The reality is,  EVERYONE likes Fried Chicken, Watermelon and Orange Soda..

And Natalie Portman... Om nom.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 08:06:16 »
There, much better.

I can never bring myself to use the stage name tbh. Wouldn't even use it if I were a fan. There's too much baggage there, let's be honest.

Is it just Eminem that you have this issue with or is it other performers with stage names?  Is Dr. Dre called Andre Young?  Boy George called George O'Dowd? 

And I'll be honest, I don't even know how baggage can be attached to a stage name :D
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Coreda

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 21:19:23 »
Is it just Eminem that you have this issue with or is it other performers with stage names?  Is Dr. Dre called Andre Young?  Boy George called George O'Dowd? 

And I'll be honest, I don't even know how baggage can be attached to a stage name :D

Another would be 2Pac, who I am actually a fan of. Always write his real name Tupac, for similar but different reasons. In the case of 'Eminem' it's because whenever anyone mentions his music there are enough who form an immediate mental image and assumptions about that person (I'm guilty of this). He's a white boy rapper with a white boy core audience who can have a questionable taste in music and other things, and he's made some outright turds.

Disassociating a person's stage name from their real name in such cases leaves the 'baggage' associated with that name, as I see it. It's hardly a groundbreaking verse that I brought up though, but it came to mind for this topic.

On the other hand I would have no problem writing stage names like Beastie Boys, Dilla, Q-Tip, or Jay-Z. Quoting hip-hop lyrics is embarrassing enough though :p

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 00:23:31 »

Another would be 2Pac, who I am actually a fan of. Always write his real name Tupac, for similar but different reasons. In the case of 'Eminem' it's because whenever anyone mentions his music there are enough who form an immediate mental image and assumptions about that person (I'm guilty of this). He's a white boy rapper with a white boy core audience who can have a questionable taste in music and other things, and he's made some outright turds.

Disassociating a person's stage name from their real name in such cases leaves the 'baggage' associated with that name, as I see it. It's hardly a groundbreaking verse that I brought up though, but it came to mind for this topic.

On the other hand I would have no problem writing stage names like Beastie Boys, Dilla, Q-Tip, or Jay-Z. Quoting hip-hop lyrics is embarrassing enough though :p

I think the question is the baggage that you're trying to dissociate.  What is baggage that is associated with the name instead of the person?

Offline Coreda

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 01:22:36 »
I think the question is the baggage that you're trying to dissociate.  What is baggage that is associated with the name instead of the person?

Ed: nvm, was ridiculous.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 July 2018, 18:18:47 by Coreda »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 02:23:01 »
Considering the fact that he released the Marshall Mathers LP,  and it has a pretty popular song on it he actually performed with Sir Elton John,  I'm not sure it does what you think it does.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 July 2016, 02:25:36 by chuckdee »