Author Topic: How the hell are people having their accounts compromised??  (Read 3497 times)

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
How the hell are people having their accounts compromised??
« on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 16:15:55 »
2 step verification
phone verification
email verification
password manager to have completely different passwords

Despite all of these people are still retarded enough to have their accounts compromised. They are stupid enough use the same password for every single website. For Christ sake its 2016 and people still are getting their account compromised. rant over

Offline phosphoric

Re: How the hell are people having their accounts compromised??
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 19:24:53 »
password managers are bulky, as are all 2-step verification processes. it's just a pain in the ass
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 19:50:05 »
80% of the users are not IT literate.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 21:03:40 »
password managers are bulky, as are all 2-step verification processes. it's just a pain in the ass

I'm interested to see if SQRL will see adoption, since it solves a lot of the issues with simplicity, authentication and management.

Not even LastPass is 100% reliable for even saving registrations. For every registration it detects another it won't, or it fails to fill in the login fields (as it's been doing for GMail for several months now).

Despite this it's still better than a manager-less alternate.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 21:10:41 »
Meh password managers are awesome. I'm using Keepass2 right now and it's totally amazeballs.
Just make sure to properly copy your database to several places and sync 'em.

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 21:12:37 »
Meh password managers are awesome. I'm using Keepass2 right now and it's totally amazeballs.
they're awesome until you have to move to an unfamiliar device or have to log into something on mobile; i would prefer not having to login twice (to two separate services) if i can avoid it
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 21:16:23 »
they're awesome until you have to move to an unfamiliar device or have to log into something on mobile; i would prefer not having to login twice (to two separate services) if i can avoid it
Keepass has a mobile app and it's pretty easy to use. And you only really have to type any one password. Just the one to login to keepass, then you can copy/paste the rest from the app/program.
It's cool if that's your preference.
But I personally find them awesome. :D

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 21:17:39 »
Keepass has a mobile app and it's pretty easy to use. And you only really have to type any one password. Just the one to login to keepass, then you can copy/paste the rest from the app/program.
It's cool if that's your preference.
But I personally find them awesome. :D
yeah, that's my point lol. i just find it super annoying to go to a different app, log in, and then go back to the original app to log in, but that's just me

speak for yourself

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 21:19:42 »
I'm trying out dashlane at the moment. It's pretty noice. Just using the free version, though.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 21:43:58 »

yeah, that's my point lol. i just find it super annoying to go to a different app, log in, and then go back to the original app to log in, but that's just me
Perhaps LastPass might be the one you'd like to try. It will auto fill up the username/password field for you.

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 21:46:45 »
if you cant remember more than ten.. 16 character hexadecimal strings... you shouldn't have a computer.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 21:47:00 »

Perhaps LastPass might be the one you'd like to try. It will auto fill up the username/password field for you.

Not all the time.  Which is I think his point.

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 21:48:30 »

Not all the time.  Which is I think his point.
i use lastpass on both of my personal computers, and it's immensely useful, but i've never bothered with the mobile app because of the switching in between apps - it's just a huge wrench in my flow

speak for yourself

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 22:58:36 »
I want two-step authentication that detects if my phone is in proximity to me.
If I don't have my phone on me then that would suck, but it would be easy to have a secondary form of authentication to fall back on in the event that I don't have anything on me.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 23:12:15 »

Can confirm.
Am IT literate
Am Lazy.
Don't use 2 factor auth for anything other than battle.net and steam.
Work makes us use 4 factor authentication, which I totally understand, but it's just not something I'm going to add into my everyday life. Sure, account retrieval is annoying if something IS compromised, however, I've never had a problem getting **** back.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 23:20:16 »
i use 2-step verification for everything i can. email, bank, bnet, steam etc, and 8 digit pin on my phone

if someone was able access my email, they could do a lot of scary things to my life

that alone makes it worth the inconvenience

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 23:57:44 »
With Mobile App, I'd go with Touch ID for the two factor authentication, so I just needed to enter the password once. And many apps are starting to support Touch ID.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 23:58:37 »
I'm p00r...  it's the best deterrent....
But your identity is priceless. Imagine masquerading as you and trolling the Internet .. wait, um...

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 00:19:08 »
I'm p00r...  it's the best deterrent....
But your identity is priceless. Imagine masquerading as you and trolling the Internet .. wait, um...

We'll know when he gets hacked once his posts increase in quality.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 13:01:19 »
With Mobile App, I'd go with Touch ID for the two factor authentication, so I just needed to enter the password once. And many apps are starting to support Touch ID.

Interesting point in that regard.  You can't be compelled by any agency to put in your password (at least by legal means).  Touch ID is not similarly protected.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 16:00:01 »

Interesting point in that regard.  You can't be compelled by any agency to put in your password (at least by legal means).  Touch ID is not similarly protected.

Nothing is unhackable.. just make sure to have backups..  print out statements, and photograph yourself at your bank machine once in a while..

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 16:32:46 »
All of apple's passwords are ilovedemik
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 23:03:02 »
i use 2-step verification for everything i can. email, bank, bnet, steam etc, and 8 digit pin on my phone

if someone was able access my email, they could do a lot of scary things to my life

I agree.
For me at least it is completely worth it because I have my own domain with my mail attached and have about 10 years worth of emails on it.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 15:43:22 »
if you cant remember more than ten.. 16 character hexadecimal strings... you shouldn't have a computer.

:^)

Can you ?

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 15:48:35 »

Exactly

People undermine the damage someone can do if they ever access your email. I myself experienced this first hand but I was the one doing the damage. This was in the past I was young and dumb I would never do something ****ty like that again.

The inconvenience is always worth it to maintain your accounts safe