Author Topic: Katushkin's American road trip (for real this time) - 10/1 - 10/15  (Read 16899 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
So then boys and girls, this October, myself and my girlfriend will be flying into Miami for a holiday. I am then hoping to convince her to let me drive us up north to Atlanta to see my boy R1N3.

What I would like to ask you beautiful people, is firstly, what is there to do in Miami? Then, what can I do on the way up to Atlanta, and finally, is there a large amount of geekhackers who would be willing for a get-together either in Atlanta or elsewhere?

I'm guessing my best route is the I95 up to Cape Canaveral (**** yeah NASA) then to Jacksonville, then the I75 to Macon and Atlanta. I would go to Gainesville but no Vesper  >:D

:)

Edit 5/9/16:

OK boys and girls, the schedule is finalized, the flights have been booked, the hire car is booked too. Check out this bad boy:

So the plan goes like this:

Saturday 1st October - Land in Miami at about 19:00. Pick up car, meet local contact, drive to my insane mansion on La Gorce Island (chyeah)
Sunday 2nd - Wednesday 5th - Have fun in Miami doing anything and everything. Everglades tour, chilling on the beach, visit little Havana, whatever!
Thursday 6th - Drive to and visit the Kennedy Space Centre. Then drive from there to Orlando. Stay the night in Orlando.
Friday 7th - Visit Universal and have generally an awesome time.
Saturday 8th - Drive to Atlanta to see my man R1N3.
Sunday 9th - Explore Atlanta, see some whale sharks at the Aquarium, do other things.
Monday 10th - Drive to Charlotte to see my cousin
Tuesday 11th - Drop car off at Charlotte Douglas Airport and fly to Newark Liberty International. Land at about 9am. Spend the next few years of my life getting to the centre of NYC to find our Air BnB.
Wednesday 12th - Friday 14th - Explore NYC. See the Empire State, Ground Zero, Guggenheim, whatever else.
Saturday 15th - Fly back home :(

So the prime opportunities for meet ups would be the time we are spending in NYC or in Miami. I know that R1N3 has a wedding to go to on the weekend I'm in Atlanta for which he is leaving for on Saturday night so I don't think a meet up then would be feasible.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 September 2016, 05:49:26 by katushkin »
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Katushkin's American road trip (for real this time)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 18:29:26 »
You should probably go to Chicago. Not too far. Same country.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 18:41:30 »
I should. But It's not near enough to Miami :( I don't mind driving but I would like to stay at some places for longer than a day or two.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 18:44:26 »
Best clubs in Miami have graffiti on the buildings :)
Chris Schammert

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 19:01:42 »
I live in the Atlanta area, in the northern suburbs. With some advance notice I could make something work.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 19:11:50 »
Come check out the greatest NFL stadium while you're at it.  I've also allowed for a stop down in Chicago to see romevi (I'll meet you guys down there, we drive up to GB together).

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 19:22:59 »
I really should come up north, but I really don't think I have the time this time around.

I will have to take another holiday to come up and do the north/north-east :(

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 19:26:22 »
I really should come up north, but I really don't think I have the time this time around.

I will have to take another holiday to come up and do the north/north-east :(

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 19:27:23 »
Uh. Candlestick is nowhere near the east coast so how can he visit greatness?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 19:30:00 »
Uh. Candlestick is nowhere near the east coast so how can he visit greatness?

I'm trying to think of a way to let you down lightly, but I'm drawing a blank. Sorry bud.  :-/  One of these days you'll understand.  :P

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 19:41:04 »
FITE ME HOUF YOU BEAAUTIFUL BEARDED BASTITCH
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 19:47:29 »
To be fair, I think Lambeau on gameday seems pretty ****ing cool...

But plz keep this off topic post on topic. Must meet more nerds when I come to America.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 19:54:29 »
If you don't go to Harry Potter world or Disney world we can't be friends anymore

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 19:57:41 »

Must meet more nerds when I come to America.

If you don't go to Harry Potter world or Disney world we can't be friends anymore

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 20:15:35 »

Ehhhhhhhhhh... I wasn't really considering either of them but we probably should...

Are they both in Orlando? I guess I could stay there instead of Daytona Beach...

Basically the plan is (in my head) stay in Miami for about a week. Then drive up north to the Kennedy Space Centre, spend the day, then stay in either Daytona Beach or Orlando I guess... Might be another good time killer.

Then the problem is what I do between Orlando and Atlanta. I don't particularly want to spend six hours in one go driving between the two but there doesn't look like there is much there.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 20:34:17 »
I don't particularly want to spend six hours in one go driving between the two but there doesn't look like there is much there.

There is not much there, trust me.
6 hours in one go is the shortest route between 2 points.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 20:36:11 »
I don't particularly want to spend six hours in one go driving between the two but there doesn't look like there is much there.

Yeah, you're gonna have a real hard time splitting that part of the trip up.  When I did that leg of my journey I just pushed through to get to the kickass BBQ - nothing along the way made me even consider stopping.  :P

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 20:37:28 »

True. I was thinking I could take a detour through Tallahassee then to Columbus, but that's just extra days I probably don't have. I guess I could stay two nights in Orlando, spend the day in between visiting the park, then drive through the day up to Atlanta then do some night time chill.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 16:01:47 »

Ehhhhhhhhhh... I wasn't really considering either of them but we probably should...

Are they both in Orlando? I guess I could stay there instead of Daytona Beach...

Basically the plan is (in my head) stay in Miami for about a week. Then drive up north to the Kennedy Space Centre, spend the day, then stay in either Daytona Beach or Orlando I guess... Might be another good time killer.

Then the problem is what I do between Orlando and Atlanta. I don't particularly want to spend six hours in one go driving between the two but there doesn't look like there is much there.

They are both in Orlando and in pretty close proximity. If thrill rides are your thing, Universal Orlando/Islands of Adventure > Disney World.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 19:23:53 »
no one ever comes to New Jersey..

You should come to New Jersey.

Offline zcmy

• I really should be working... not "working"
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 19:49:55 »

Don't go to New Jersey. :) All toll roads.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 19:55:46 »
I spent a few months in New Jersey 6 years ago. It truly is a bizarre place, and you most certainly don't want to have to drive there.

Although, for a European, some of the "old world" idiosyncrasies" may not seem quite so strange.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 22:33:39 »
There are ideas circling around about us taking the train from Atlanta to DC. I'm not sure how long we are going to stay in each place, but we probably need to plan it out a bit more.

Offline R1N3

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 23:59:17 »
weeeeeeeeeee

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 00:54:17 »
weeeeeeeeeee

:D

I have managed to convince the gf that we should go to Atlanta. I think mainly because of the Whale Sharks at the Atlanta aquarium.

So it's on like Donkey Kong :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 01:30:17 »
Are you gonna check out Disney World? It's actually pretty sweet... no, it's amazing. The lines are insane and can potentially ruin your time so get a FastPass+ (or you can hack your own and get in free ;) )

But Disney World is for sure a memorable experience. Good times. Good overpriced times.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 09:07:36 »
Are you gonna check out Disney World? It's actually pretty sweet... no, it's amazing. The lines are insane and can potentially ruin your time so get a FastPass+ (or you can hack your own and get in free ;) )

But Disney World is for sure a memorable experience. Good times. Good overpriced times.

We will probably go and check it out for a day or so. Neither of us ever went as a child so it's probably a good idea. We don't have to do any of the kids stuff either which might save us some time.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 09:27:34 »

I have managed to convince the gf that we should go to Atlanta. I think mainly because of the Whale Sharks at the Atlanta aquarium.

The whale sharks at the Georgia Aquarium are not the behemoths that you read about in the ocean. Last time I was there they were no bigger than mid-size cars, if that.

One not-too-well-known fact at roller coasters and such is that sometimes if you split up and ride as "singles" you can get into a much shorter line where they fill in the gaps.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 09:33:27 »
Yeah, when driving between Orlando and Atlanta there isn't much to be excited about.  When we used to drive down to Florida that stretch was a pretty long and boring one, and about the most exciting part was the outlet mall just outside of Florida or the pecan orchards.  At least there are Waffle Houses along the way though!

Disney World is definitely worth going to at least once though, Universal Studios is kinda cool as well.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 09:35:31 »

The whale sharks at the Georgia Aquarium are not the behemoths that you read about in the ocean. Last time I was there they were no bigger than mid-size cars, if that.

I wasn't prepared for the wait at the GA aquarium we went back in December for the first time. I recommend anyone who goes, buy tickets ahead so you aren't waiting hours to get in.

This roadtrip (starts tomorrow) I'm driving down through Alabama to avoid Atlanta and I75.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 July 2016, 09:37:10 by SpAmRaY »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 09:37:36 »

Don't go to New Jersey. :) All toll roads.

I lend you my ezpass..

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 09:52:05 »
A road trip through two states doesn't count as a real American road trip.  Maybe if one of those states was California, Texas, or Alaska, then it ***might*** qualify.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 July 2016, 10:23:25 by vivalarevolución »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline spiritanimals

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 09:56:18 »
I'd suggest making a post in the /r/miami subreddit closer to October! I live in south Florida, but don't go to Miami too often. All I can suggest is, hit the beach as much as you can (it will still be hot in October). If you like museums, Miami Art Museum and Historical Museum are in the same area. Elsewhere is the Space Transit Planetarium and Miami Museum of Science, which are right next to each other. There's the Miami Seaquarium. Bunch of parks here and there. I am a younger guy (late 20s) who prefers dive/laid back bars. Gramps is an awesome place and Churchill's is a grimey dive bar/music venue with some history behind it. Both of which are in the Wynwood arts district (worth checking out day or night). Or if you want a taste of Miami glam you can hit south beach.

I live in Ft Lauderdale which is 20-40 minutes north depending on what part of Miami you are coming from. If you wanna grab a beer in my area, let me know!

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 07:19:04 »
B U M P B O Y S

This is actually 100% happening now :D

A road trip through two states doesn't count as a real American road trip.  Maybe if one of those states was California, Texas, or Alaska, then it ***might*** qualify.

Technically it's three..... But the drive to Kennedy is going to be pretty awesome. So I'm calling it a road trip anyway.

I'd suggest making a post in the /r/miami subreddit closer to October! I live in south Florida, but don't go to Miami too often. All I can suggest is, hit the beach as much as you can (it will still be hot in October). If you like museums, Miami Art Museum and Historical Museum are in the same area. Elsewhere is the Space Transit Planetarium and Miami Museum of Science, which are right next to each other. There's the Miami Seaquarium. Bunch of parks here and there. I am a younger guy (late 20s) who prefers dive/laid back bars. Gramps is an awesome place and Churchill's is a grimey dive bar/music venue with some history behind it. Both of which are in the Wynwood arts district (worth checking out day or night). Or if you want a taste of Miami glam you can hit south beach.

I live in Ft Lauderdale which is 20-40 minutes north depending on what part of Miami you are coming from. If you wanna grab a beer in my area, let me know!

Sorry dude, i didn't see this before. That's a good idea, I think I will post something in there, or at least have a look at what links they have. I am definitely in to more laid back bars, but I will see what the gf wants to do as she is a bit more adventurous.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Re: Katushkin's American road trip (for real this time) - 1/10-15/10!
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 07:56:19 »
Oh, snap, I'm up for hanging out in Orlando but I get back from a business trip on October 3rd...
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 11:34:26 »
**** yeah whale sharks! The Ocean Voyager exhibit makes the entire aquarium trip worth it. I spent hours sitting in front of that tank.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 11:55:50 »

I will second Gramps. Only been there once and it was pretty fun. They've got trivia on I think Wednesday night? Wynwood is the area to visit for the local art scene and bars. Also a very scenic area. Wear mosquito repellent because of Zika.

If you're into historical sites I suggest Vizcaya Museum and Gardens. Beautiful architecture and property grounds. Fairchild Botanical Gardens is another beautiful place to visit. You could do both in the same day, it'll just get pricey to visit all these places.

I highly, highly recommend Zoo Miami, but mostly because I love animals. It's totally worth taking a day to see though. It's enormous and won't be too hot to visit come October (should be in the high 70s, low 80s, not bad).

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 12:44:54 »
Seriously, repellant. They say Zika hasn't reached central Florida but all it takes is one hurricane. Just sayin'
Chris Schammert

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 15:05:08 »
Seriously, repellant. They say Zika hasn't reached central Florida but all it takes is one hurricane. Just sayin'

I think you need to repel many things if visiting south Florida. :D
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 15:55:33 »

I think you need to repel many things if visiting south Florida. :D

Chris Schammert

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 15:58:43 »
I am in for the NYC leg of the trip  :p

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 05:50:30 »
**** yeah whale sharks! The Ocean Voyager exhibit makes the entire aquarium trip worth it. I spent hours sitting in front of that tank.

Show Image

Damn, that's awesome  :eek:

Oh, snap, I'm up for hanging out in Orlando but I get back from a business trip on October 3rd...

Sweet :D We are in Oralndo for two nights, but we haven't booked the hotel yet so IDK where we are staying

More

I will second Gramps. Only been there once and it was pretty fun. They've got trivia on I think Wednesday night? Wynwood is the area to visit for the local art scene and bars. Also a very scenic area. Wear mosquito repellent because of Zika.

If you're into historical sites I suggest Vizcaya Museum and Gardens. Beautiful architecture and property grounds. Fairchild Botanical Gardens is another beautiful place to visit. You could do both in the same day, it'll just get pricey to visit all these places.

I highly, highly recommend Zoo Miami, but mostly because I love animals. It's totally worth taking a day to see though. It's enormous and won't be too hot to visit come October (should be in the high 70s, low 80s, not bad).

Sounds good! We are both animal people, so I think we will check out the zoo as well :) Yeah, we do need to think about how much this is all going to cost, but that's what credit cards are for! :D

Yeah, I'm going to get some industrial level stuff as I get destroyed by mosquitoes.

I am in for the NYC leg of the trip  :p

yeeeeeeeee buddy!

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 07:22:18 »
Just looked and Wynwood isn't that far from where we are staying (La Gorce area just between mid and North Beach) so that should be easy to go to for a night or two. Is the Downtown area where all the historic stuff is? Because we would like to go there during the day to check out some landmarks and stuff probably. Also what is parking like in the city centre?

<3 u all

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 09:17:46 »
I guess that's OK if you are in one place. The house I'm staying in has outdoor insect repellent systems in place already  :eek:

I will get Jungle Formula probably. It's always served me well in the past.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 10:03:17 »
Flamethrowers work well against insects, especially flying ones.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 10:22:04 »
Flamethrowers work well against insects, especially flying ones.

Best mosquito protection. BYOFT
Chris Schammert

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 11:41:25 »
Your dates are backwards.  It is month before day in the USA.  If you are going to take a road trip here, make sure your dates are correct.  Also, we use the 12-hour clock, another thing which doesn't make sense, but we do it, anyways.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 05:40:34 »
?

I realise the dates in my title were wrong but that hardly warrants a post.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 September 2016, 05:49:11 by katushkin »