Author Topic: First semi credible info about Nintendo NX leak (rumor) My thoughts  (Read 4225 times)

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 July 2016, 10:36:18 by LiquidEvilGaming »
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

Re: First semi credible info about Nintendo NX leak (rumor) My thoughts
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 10:31:14 »
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/nintendo-nx-leak-reveals-transforming-cartridge-running-handheld-1325423

This article has a great mockup picture to illustrate what it could look like
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 11:27:11 »
Serious question, how is Nintendo still around?  If it wasn't for Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon I don't see how they could survive.  Everything they've done since the Gamecube has just been gimmicky and weird.  Hell, you could probably even lump the Gamecube controller in with that.

If they just turned out a Wii priced console with normal non-gimmicky controllers, I'd probably pick one up.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 12:27:36 »
Serious question, how is Nintendo still around?  If it wasn't for Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon I don't see how they could survive.  Everything they've done since the Gamecube has just been gimmicky and weird.  Hell, you could probably even lump the Gamecube controller in with that.

If they just turned out a Wii priced console with normal non-gimmicky controllers, I'd probably pick one up.

To answer your question, handheld gaming is still huge in Japan (and the 3ds has still sold well elsewhere),Amiibo's sold well for awhile and most recently pokemon GO is making huge bank for Nintendo.  Also they are still sitting on mountains of money from the DS and original Wii.

I get what they are trying to do here playing to their strengths (handheld) and i think they get they can't compete spec wise with Sony Microsoft or PC gaming.  However everytime they try gimmicks like this they mostly fail.  Just put out a normal console with decent specs load it up with Nintendo titles and some third party support and it will sell. 

Current Daily Driver/s

Offline Geckt

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 12:53:56 »

To answer your question, handheld gaming is still huge in Japan (and the 3ds has still sold well elsewhere),Amiibo's sold well for awhile and most recently pokemon GO is making huge bank for Nintendo.  Also they are still sitting on mountains of money from the DS and original Wii.

I get what they are trying to do here playing to their strengths (handheld) and i think they get they can't compete spec wise with Sony Microsoft or PC gaming.  However everytime they try gimmicks like this they mostly fail.  Just put out a normal console with decent specs load it up with Nintendo titles and some third party support and it will sell.

It's been so many generations of console designs that they have flopped but honestly their handhelds have never disappointed because of their simplicity and sheer size of their library.
If anything Nintendo was trying to do to further excite it's fans then I will say for an older gamer I really liked to see what happens with the NES Classics Edition instead for it's retro games....

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 14:31:45 »

Well, they made 3 of the top 5 best selling game consoles of all time so I'm guessing they must have quite a bit of cash banked.  Their handhelds have usually done very well and besides the Virtual Boy I think most of their consoles still sold somewhat well. 
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 15:16:13 »
Been telling you all the exact same info for months /smh

Offline Jpecina

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 19:06:28 »

I totally agree, even though I own a high end PC, nothing beats sitting on the couch with my 3ds. They let Sony and Microsoft duke it out while they continue pumping out great games. When it comes to gimmicks, they're hit or miss but at least they are trying something new. I'd be happy if they just focused on handhelds (except mobile).

Offline nugglets

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 19:38:44 »

The Wii was a huge success. Turn off motion control, turn the controller sideways and bam: normal Nintendo controller. There were some seriously good games on it, too. And the motion control was really fun for a lot of various games. The Wii was the last time you could actually turn a console on at a party and be certain everyone would come give it a shot, or at least have fun watching.

The Wii U had some amazing exclusives, too. Generally, it was obviously a total failure. But there were roughly 8-10 games for it that were just amazing.

Going in a similarly weird direction for the NX does seem like a horrible idea, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 08:30:11 »

The Wii was a huge success. Turn off motion control, turn the controller sideways and bam: normal Nintendo controller. There were some seriously good games on it, too. And the motion control was really fun for a lot of various games. The Wii was the last time you could actually turn a console on at a party and be certain everyone would come give it a shot, or at least have fun watching.

The Wii U had some amazing exclusives, too. Generally, it was obviously a total failure. But there were roughly 8-10 games for it that were just amazing.

Going in a similarly weird direction for the NX does seem like a horrible idea, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I totally agree about the multiplayer thing. The Wii U was similar too, very easy to pick up games like nintendo land (and of course mario kart/Smash Bros). Most of the other multiplayer games I've played lately are things like Ultimate Chicken Horse or Sports Friends that could run on a goddamned potato. If the removable controllers aren't terrible or they allow you to connect your phone as a controller, I could see this being a really fun thing to bring to your friends house/the bar/car ride/etc and just enjoy with your friend.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 18:14:03 »
It seemed for a while there that consoles were going to fade out under increased competition from phones, tablets and PC's but that hasn't really been the case.

The Wii U has been a bit of a dud but I can see Nintendo's next console doing alright if they get the pricing right and get bit more third party support. Japanese game development has been somewhat in the doldrums since the PS2 era but that may not last forever. At thing point I feel we need a push from the country as a whole to drive some exciting new game concepts. Ninty are riding high on a wave of NES notalgia, Pokemon nostalgia/renewed popularity and their underdog status now I think it's just a matter of the rest of the Japanese game industry building on top of that.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 19:30:58 »
Nintendo should just make new games for the SNES. That system was the best ever.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 22:08:24 »
Nintendo should just make new games for the SNES. That system was the best ever.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If they were to start making new games..  SNES really would be a good start..

Problem is the cartridges though.. They'd have to bring those back.. that's an expensive investment.