Author Topic: Razer Ornata, New switch  (Read 17435 times)

Offline KHAANNN

Re: Razer Ornata, New switch
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 14:14:14 »
So much prejudice
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 14:38:27 »
Damn straight! I am NOT giving those pesky plastic keyboards equal rights! You can call me Strom Thurmond!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 16:36:16 »
Oh and whilst we're at it, **** topre. Fkin rubber domes.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 20:12:42 »
Well, does anyone here consider Razer a good manufacturer of mechanical keyboards...? No? Yeah, I thought not...
absolutely not

Offline c137

• German Mechanical Keyboard Blog
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 02:19:05 »
I had the chance to type on one during Gamescom.
The feel isn't really bad, just don't expect something Topre-ish. It's more like a shorter-throw MX Blue/Razer Green with a rubber dome on the bottom.

So, in my humble opinion, it's not a bad keyboard per se, but the price doesn't seem right...

The switch is a bog-standard rubber dome/membrane keyboard with an additional leaf spring in each key to make a clicky noise.

Yes.
"I´m sorry for shooting everyone!" - Lt. Col. John Sheppard

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 03:30:18 »
Oh and whilst we're at it, **** topre. Fkin rubber domes.
Now look... Topre may be rubber domes, but they're OUR rubber domes! As long as they don't marry one of our mechs, they can live next to us. Separate but equal!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 10:09:51 »
If the leaf is specifically for noise/tactility, and doesn't actually close the switch, then this thing is worthless. All the problems of rubber dome boards, none of the benefits of a mechanical switch.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 10:30:13 »
I had the chance to type on one during Gamescom.
The feel isn't really bad, just don't expect something Topre-ish. It's more like a shorter-throw MX Blue/Razer Green with a rubber dome on the bottom.
Thanks for posting!

But please tell us more! Did you feel any Cherry-like tactile response from the leaf spring?
Did you notice any binding on off-centre key presses?

Offline c137

• German Mechanical Keyboard Blog
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 06:14:16 »
There definitely is an audible and tactile response from the leaf.
The keys didn't seem to get easily stuck or blocked. Then again, the caps weren't fully final.
"I´m sorry for shooting everyone!" - Lt. Col. John Sheppard

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 21:02:47 »
lol I finally get to try this from my local computer store, and yes you can definitely feel the tactile leaf.

To be honest...... this feels quite good !  Though if I remember correctly for the price you can get a real mechanical so the cost to performance ratio is not very good.

But if this was any cheaper then I think it would be a solid alternative for someone who want something halfway in between.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 21:07:46 »
Funnily enough, tried it today and I hated it. The sound:tactility ratio is completely off. And the key travel is much, much shorter than it ought to be on a mechanical-keyboard wannabe. :(

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 23:32:19 »
It actually doesn't feel too bad but yeah this keyboard is pretty terrible value. You're much better off going on ebay and getting a used Quickfire Rapid or Dell AT-101w or something.

They do sound very nice though, a much better sound than MX Blues which are one of the worst sounding switches in the world.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 23:38:49 »
I actually like the sound of MX Blues. And normally I really like the sound of Browns, but not on this CM Masterkeys S. These things sound like complete **** :(

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 05:43:13 »
I actually like the sound of MX Blues. And normally I really like the sound of Browns, but not on this CM Masterkeys S. These things sound like complete **** :(
They wouldn't bother me so much if it wasnt for the jacket rattling around.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 06:55:37 »
So much prejudice

Sometimes what has erupted from between Razer's legs should be terminated with extreme prejudice and then thoroughly incinerated so as to never allow it to roam around free to molest children in anyway.

Sometimes UGLY needs to not only be beaten down with a pipe wrench but thrown into an industrial shredder as quickly as possible.  Far better to put it out of it's misery than allow it to draw breath and target another innocent to drain their last income and their dreams.  Leaving only a damaged person that will forever inflict harm on everyone around them.  They then become another Razer sicko completely devoid of conscience and morality.

Offline lancre

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 07:56:47 »
It's all a bit depressing really.

This is sold out on Amazon with 404 reviews, so obviously people are buying it.

I just have no idea why.

Well actually, I can't say that. People don't do their research. Or they get bought it as presents. Or they have done their research and genuinely don't care.

It's when research consists of reading that article... that's when I take exception. it misleads people.

Realforce 104UW          Dell AT102W             NMB RT8255C+                   Omnikey Ultra-T

Offline hking0036

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 09:10:24 »

I just have no idea why.

Well actually, I can't say that. People don't do their research. Or they get bought it as presents. Or they have done their research and genuinely don't care.

It's when research consists of reading that article... that's when I take exception. it misleads people.
I want to say that it's because people just want a replacement for their busted up boards they've been using but it's not even much cheaper than the blackwidow already is which is bizzare to me. I didn't realize this thing started at $100.
This reviewer said they liked it because it has low travel, but most of the reviews honestly seem more concerned with the backlighting. I think at the end of the day people just don't want to research that kind of thing, otherwise I've got no good explanation. This guy said they'd never use another keyboard again  :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 December 2016, 09:18:11 by hking0036 »
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline Crapbag

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 09:44:34 »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 13:15:57 »
I'm neutral against the keyboard

Yet, the coverage it gets is obviously disturbing, dark side of media I guess, make an actually interesting product and I don't think any of these outlets would even reply to your email's
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline hking0036

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 13:22:02 »
I'm neutral against the keyboard

Yet, the coverage it gets is obviously disturbing, dark side of media I guess, make an actually interesting product and I don't think any of these outlets would even reply to your email's
They most likely have a longer standing relationship with razer than most companies, after all they've been making all this green stuff for a lot longer than most. It's probably like a conveyor belt of review copies at this point.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 15:16:59 »
I'd love to do a review on one of these. Should be quite interesting.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 16:40:28 »
Some ignorant ****biscuit wrote about it:

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/9/3/12777952/razer-ornata-chroma-keyboard-hands-on
Sihtbiscuit might be my favorite describing word now.

The switch is half mechanical though, because the sound is mechanical but the way the activation works isn't. I think. :confused:

Is ****biscuit that game reviewer with cancer?

are you allowed to make fun of him if he has cancer?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 16:52:27 »
Some ignorant ****biscuit wrote about it:

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/9/3/12777952/razer-ornata-chroma-keyboard-hands-on
Sihtbiscuit might be my favorite describing word now.

The switch is half mechanical though, because the sound is mechanical but the way the activation works isn't. I think. :confused:

Is ****biscuit that game reviewer with cancer?

are you allowed to make fun of him if he has cancer?
Having cancer has absolutely nothing to do with being a keyboard reviewer, I absolutely fail to see the relevance.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 13:29:09 »
Never ridicule a person. You can ridicule what a person does if what he does is worthy of ridicule.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 December 2016, 13:31:59 by Findecanor »

Offline CrissSwiss

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 14:36:16 »

I just have no idea why.

Mine will arrive tomorrow. I just got tired of mechanical switches in general, tried blues, reds, blacks and browns. None of them 'feel right' to me.

I got HHKB Type-S recently, and i absolutely love it, but using it for gaming can be a struggle so i decided to order ornata specifically for gaming. I really hope i will like it, but if i don't i honestly don't care about it. Maybe at least the wrist rest is usable :)

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 17:24:26 »
If the leaf is specifically for noise/tactility, and doesn't actually close the switch, then this thing is worthless.

The leaf in Alps SKCM, Omron B3G-S, SMK second generation, AEK II Mitsumi switches (which are different to other examples), and various other switches is only for noise/tactility and doesn't close the switch. The actuator leaf present in most of these designs is a separate part: there is one leaf to drive the switch contacts, and a second leaf for noise/tactility. SMK is an exception, where there is only a leaf for noise/tactility — the movable contact itself protrudes out to reach the slider.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 03:59:21 »
You can ridicule what a person does if what he does is worthy of ridicule.

Nice epitaph, worth chiselling into Granite  8) .