Author Topic: flying cars (vs. self-driving cars)  (Read 4153 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
flying cars (vs. self-driving cars)
« on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 20:44:50 »
There's a thread about self-driving cars.

What about flying cars?  Anyone excited to see those introduced?

What would you prefer - self-driving cars or flying cars (self-driving or otherwise, although self-flying would probably be a good idea)?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: flying cars (vs. self-driving cars)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 21:05:10 »
Doubt this is going to happen anytime soon..

The only things that can fly involves moving LOTS of air , REALLY fast.. 

Therefore, much too loud for residential use.. sigh.................

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 22:03:32 »
People cant handle cars when given a simple choice between left and right. Lets not further complicate it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 22:05:01 »
People cant handle cars when given a simple choice between left and right. Lets not further complicate it.

Autopilot would be alot simpler in the air, because there wouldn't be obstructions.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 22:15:27 »

Autopilot would be alot simpler in the air, because there wouldn't be obstructions.

Except for every other flying car around you.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 04:39:55 »

Some sort of collision detection would be absolutely mandatory.

Plus specified lanes or even altitudes for travelling in a certain direction.

It wouldn't be a case of fly as high as you're comfortable with, and then head off in a random direction.

There would have to be some control over it.

Commercial airlines fly in predetermined patterns so everyone knows where everyone else is, or at least is supposed to be.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 05:20:53 »

It wouldn't be a case of fly as high as you're comfortable with, and then head off in a random direction.

Commercial airlines fly in predetermined patterns so everyone knows where everyone else is, or at least is supposed to be.

Commercial airlines also have en route and airport ATCs to keep them safe. This would not be possible with personal transport.

The other thing is maintenance. Commercial planes are maintained to a standard, personal vehicles are by some owners, many aren't. You would need a pretty strict policy on keeping the flying cars serviced/inspected. Or an automated lockout system, or better technology that uses less if not nil moving parts to help ease wear and tear thus reducing points of failure. 

Pink Slips in NSW pissed me off as it is, THANK YOU QLD FOR BEING REASONABLE.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 05:24:52 »

Commercial airlines also have en route and airport ATCs to keep them safe. This would not be possible with personal transport.

The other thing is maintenance. Commercial planes are maintained to a standard, personal vehicles are by some owners, many aren't. You would need a pretty strict policy on keeping the flying cars serviced/inspected. Or an automated lockout system, or better technology that uses less if not nil moving parts to help ease wear and tear thus reducing points of failure. 

Pink Slips in NSW pissed me off as it is, THANK YOU QLD FOR BEING REASONABLE.

Technology would still need to advance in a few areas, one of which would be reliability.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 05:33:57 »
There is no way I'd get into a flying car. While the chance of getting in an accident is much higher in a car, the chance of surviving is much higher as well.  We can't all be Harrison Ford (I think he has like 2 or 3 crashes under his belt now...)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 16:48:12 »

well that's the thing with flying cars

you go in a straight line to your destination..  there would be ON AVERAGE less decision making. // less turns,  up, forward, then down..

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 16:53:36 »
Except weather.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 18:28:30 »
Actually was talking with one of the older people at work about this.  When they were growing up, flying cars were all the rage for the future.  Now it's self driving cars.  Mainly, I think the FAA and cost are the main things hold back flying cars.  Self-driving cars have less hassle and cost to get on the roads.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 18:41:45 »
I watched "The Jetsons" and nothing would be cooler than a flying car, but the thought of all sorts of whirring mechanical crap raining down on us (most including flammable fuel reservoirs) at random times without warning is pretty frightening.

Frankly, I would even like small drones banned over populated areas.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 20:28:45 »
I watched "The Jetsons" and nothing would be cooler than a flying car, but the thought of all sorts of whirring mechanical crap raining down on us (most including flammable fuel reservoirs) at random times without warning is pretty frightening.

How the heck would you enforce the banning of small drones?  I literally could go out and play with one right now.  This city does not have enough cops to stop me.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 22:45:55 »

How the heck would you enforce the banning of small drones?  I literally could go out and play with one right now.  This city does not have enough cops to stop me.

In australia you are not allowed to fly them within i think its 5kms of an airport. No one is activly looking for them but if you are caught i believe it is a pretty large fine.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 04:07:44 »
Any sort of flying car would need quite a lot of technological advances to be made before it would be safe and viable.

Parking would be a breeze though, just hover over your chosen space and descend slowly.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 17:26:28 »
Any sort of flying car would need quite a lot of technological advances to be made before it would be safe and viable.

Parking would be a breeze though, just hover over your chosen space and descend slowly.

Being able to hover is a step beyond flying.  Are we talking about cars that function like hobby drones?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 20:39:46 »

Being able to hover is a step beyond flying.  Are we talking about cars that function like hobby drones?

I was thinking VTOL so we don't need a runway in each home.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 21:00:39 »

That technology would come with a price premium, I am not sure if that would be affordable for the average homeowner.  I think Back to the Future type hover cars would be a more practical technology to focus on.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 04:48:04 »

That technology would come with a price premium, I am not sure if that would be affordable for the average homeowner.  I think Back to the Future type hover cars would be a more practical technology to focus on.

Like the Delorean?  That was VTOL, more or less, just using some sort of non-specified futuristic technology to achieve it.

No, today's VTOL technology would not be appropriate for consumer-grade vehicles.

Ideally some sort of anti-grav unit would simply create an inverse gravitational field around the vehicle, which would then silently and efficiently rise.

Control over the field strength would allow balancing the vehicle's altitude.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 19:26:58 »
You're getting to scientific for me, bud.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 20:52:01 »
Back in the day (at uni) we tried to design a "flying saucer" of some sort.

There were about 5 of us - one was in charge of propulsion, one in charge of artificial gravity, one (me) in charge of software and so on.

I started delivering my software long before anyone else had even thought about contributing.

I don't think they took me seriously.