Author Topic: I think Hypersphere rings are overpriced  (Read 31702 times)

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
Re: [PSA] Do not support Hypersphere
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 11:19:33 »
it's still cheaper than buying a legit silence topre and harvesting their sliders. It's also the only other thing that comes close to the feel of legit silenced topre.

Dental bands /= Hypersphere rings.

Offline Hammithimmis

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 19:31:08 »
it's still cheaper than buying a legit silence topre and harvesting their sliders.

You can easily sell the silenced donor board for $40-$50 cheaper, so the cost is the same.  The difference comes down to more hassle (harvesting, swapping, and reselling donor board) for purple sliders vs reduced key travel for the hyperspheres.  Since the silencing is a one-time process for a long-term effect, I'd say it's a no-brainer to go for the actual sliders.     

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 21:20:39 »
it's still cheaper than buying a legit silence topre and harvesting their sliders.

You can easily sell the silenced donor board for $40-$50 cheaper, so the cost is the same.  The difference comes down to more hassle (harvesting, swapping, and reselling donor board) for purple sliders vs reduced key travel for the hyperspheres.  Since the silencing is a one-time process for a long-term effect, I'd say it's a no-brainer to go for the actual sliders.   

I mean I did it... I couldn't sell it for $50 less. It was a full size JP layout realforce that cost me $300. And that was like a month searching on amazon JP. I ended selling it for like $150. Was it worth it? Yeah that keyboard was in a digilog case and those purple sliders sounded great with the aliminum shell. But it costed me more than $50.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 09:01:24 »

I mean I did it... I couldn't sell it for $50 less. It was a full size JP layout realforce that cost me $300. And that was like a month searching on amazon JP. I ended selling it for like $150. Was it worth it? Yeah that keyboard was in a digilog case and those purple sliders sounded great with the aliminum shell. But it costed me more than $50.

Your case would be most people's case. Reselling after is tougher than people like to think, plus you're not gonna sell for only $60 less, especially when you buy a silenced RF, considering it usually brings the price from a silenced RF down to a brand new normal RF.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 06:16:40 »
PSA!!!!! If I had my way, the undeserved topre market would have one less vendor because I hate people who engage in capitalism! Screw all those people who are happy to pay for the low-production product. They shouldn't have the choice theory pay for the product they want. Witness me!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 06:23:22 »
PSA!!!!! If I had my way, the undeserved topre market would have one less vendor because I hate people who engage in capitalism! Screw all those people who are happy to pay for the low-production product. They shouldn't have the choice theory pay for the product they want. Witness me!

Don't think it has to be so radical.. angry yes.. but not radical..

But You are correct, the price on these orings are absurd.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 06:25:45 »

BUT WHEN ARE YOU STARTING THE SHIPPING FOR YOUR GB TP WE WANT OUR RINGS DAN NAB GOSH DARN IT BOI

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 07:31:45 »
PSA!!!!! If I had my way, the undeserved topre market would have one less vendor because I hate people who engage in capitalism! Screw all those people who are happy to pay for the low-production product. They shouldn't have the choice to pay for the product they want. Witness me!

The only thing that is absurd is this thread. I find a lot of products are priced way too high, but you know what, I have the choice not to buy them. Others have the choice to buy them. Maybe the seller charges that much because their time is worth that much. If someone else'so time is worth less and they take the initiative, they can produce their own rings for a lower price and improve everyone's quality of life. Otherwise, the only thing we are talking about here is taking choices away from consumers.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 May 2017, 07:38:04 by SpectreiiI »

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 07:47:31 »
PSA!!!!! If I had my way, the undeserved topre market would have one less vendor because I hate people who engage in capitalism! Screw all those people who are happy to pay for the low-production product. They shouldn't have the choice to pay for the product they want. Witness me!

The only thing that is absurd is this thread. I find a lot of products are priced way too high, but you know what, I have the choice not to buy them. Others have the choice to buy them. Maybe the seller charges that much because their time is worth that much. If someone else'so time is worth less and they take the initiative, they can produce their own rings for a lower price and improve everyone's quality of life. Otherwise, the only thing we are talking about here is taking choices away from consumers.

oh boy this is how rumors get started and things get blown out of proportion.

Nobody said anything about taking away hyperspheres- TP is simply pointing out that maybe they're unfairly priced and then provided factual data to support.

In fact, this thread has revolved more around your second point, so what is your point?
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 08:39:54 »

Nobody said anything about taking away hyperspheres- TP is simply pointing out that maybe they're unfairly priced and then provided factual data to support.

In fact, this thread has revolved more around your second point, so what is your point?
Fair is relative. The data provided is, at best, misleading. I have sourced all of the materials required to machine and assemble a 96 key custom keyboard case with a brass weight and plate and for less than $75. Do you think that supports an argument that $400 Korean custom cases are absurdly priced?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 10:17:31 »

Precisely..   To the point..

He's allowed to charge any price..   But we at geekhack are also allowed to inform the New hobbyists coming in that that price is ridiculous, and that $60 can be better spent else where..

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 10:17:42 »

Fair is relative. The data provided is, at best, misleading. I have sourced all of the materials required to machine and assemble a 96 key custom keyboard case with a brass weight and plate and for less than $75. Do you think that supports an argument that $400 Korean custom cases are absurdly priced?

hahahahahah  YES it does...  This entire time, I tell people they're getting ripped off paying $400 for straight line milling..

can you make me a cnc alu ergodox case?

i'd buy the **** out of that, especially if it's @ tp4 pricing

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 10:17:56 »

Is this a trick question?
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 10:22:36 »

hahahahahah  YES it does...  This entire time, I tell people they're getting ripped off paying $400 for straight line milling..

can you make me a cnc alu ergodox case?

i'd buy the **** out of that, especially if it's @ tp4 pricing

I actually do have enough x/y travel on my machine to cut ergodox cases, but I've never done it because there's not much art to cutting keyboard cases, it's such a trivial thing to do..

It's like you go up to Michelangelo and be like,  dude.. can you paint me a bunch of boxes with solid colors, piet mondrian style, see this stuff.. this is art.. I heard ur pretty good with colors too u know?, nice chapel though..

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 12:45:43 »
Do you think that supports an argument that $400 Korean custom cases are absurdly priced?
More like, is that even a question?

Korean custom snake oil is sooo smooth.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 12:50:10 »
Do you think that supports an argument that $400 Korean custom cases are absurdly priced?
More like, is that even a question?

Korean custom snake oil is sooo smooth.

Korean boards are --overpriced--

Hyperspheres orings are --Grossly overpriced--

Offline kconfire

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 14:39:59 »
As much as they seem to be overpriced, $60 is not that much considering you already bought a keyboard that costs sometimes more than $250-$300.
I believe it is all a matter of perspective.

Now, what I hope was different with all these GeekHack, Reddit, etc communities are that if we could mandate a fixed price for GB items.. that will make the entry to the world of mechanical keyboards a whole lot easier for many people.

I know this may sound like a communism community because in the states of capitalism you sell what you want to sell at a premium, but compare that to South Korea's you sell/buy for GB price policy in the keyboard community.

It helps everyone who wants to sell/buy because even if the item is not popular and has gained no fame, you will still be able to sell for the same price you paid, as long as it's in good condition.

Many times when I'm looking at the keyboard classifieds and Reddit Market, they are ridiculous.
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 14:53:51 »
Now, what I hope was different with all these GeekHack, Reddit, etc communities are that if we could mandate a fixed price for GB items.

lmao

Offline kconfire

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 15:10:26 »
Now, what I hope was different with all these GeekHack, Reddit, etc communities are that if we could mandate a fixed price for GB items.

lmao

Exactly my reaction after I wrote that sentence.  With a few exceptions like some OTD goodies... look at people buying Duck Viper v2 for $700+ for "unbuilt, premium" kits lmao
That is hilarious.

Sure throw all your money if it makes you happy, but I ain't paying almost double the price for the item that I could've gotten if I paid attention to keyboard communities.

If you missed? Out of luck! Maybe you'll get something better later. There will always be new custom keyboards.

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 15:27:09 »

lmao

Exactly my reaction after I wrote that sentence.  With a few exceptions like some OTD goodies... look at people buying Duck Viper v2 for $700+ for "unbuilt, premium" kits lmao
That is hilarious.

Sure throw all your money if it makes you happy, but I ain't paying almost double the price for the item that I could've gotten if I paid attention to keyboard communities.

If you missed? Out of luck! Maybe you'll get something better later. There will always be new custom keyboards.

I think the way that people're spending money for double price is very common compared to other hobbies.

Look at the prices that people're willing to pay for Yeezy boost or something very rare, I think every hobby has the same trend.

If you want something very limited and very rare, you have to pay for the ridiculous price.

In case of Duck Viper v2, they were sold out in less than 1 hour.

You might be sleeping or driving, just attention is not enough for this.

« Last Edit: Tue, 09 May 2017, 16:13:58 by oatmicro »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 16:05:48 »
Hyperspheres are fine. You're paying for a long lasting high-quality product. The dampening material of these composite rings alone (Poron) has a shelf life (as a roll) of at least five years.
2-ply construction with impact-absorbing layer bonded to a tough support layer.

Sure YOU might want source materials and laser cut 60+ tiny rings per order for less, but that'll be your loss in profit at the end of the day.
Chris Schammert

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 17:14:28 »

I think the way that people're spending money for double price is very common compared to other hobbies.

Look at the prices that people're willing to pay for Yeezy boost or something very rare, I think every hobby has the same trend.

If you want something very limited and very rare, you have to pay for the ridiculous price.

There should be an official price check guru for the classified..   Just to clear up how much approximately those boards should cost..

again, ur allowed to negotiate for whatever price..  but there IS a basic reference..

Offline kconfire

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 17:47:50 »

lmao

That is hilarious.

Oh yeah don't even start with that Yeezy stuff.
That's straight up retarded paying for grands for a pair of shoes.

I mean, sure, go ahead, if you have that kind of disposable income no one's holding you back..
It's just a piece of rubber and cloth... an overpriced very much at that.

I think there's a certain line for hobbies, but after that it's all insanity  :confused:

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 17:51:58 »

lmao

That is hilarious.

Oh yeah don't even start with that Yeezy stuff.
That's straight up retarded paying for grands for a pair of shoes.

I mean, sure, go ahead, if you have that kind of disposable income no one's holding you back..
It's just a piece of rubber and cloth... an overpriced very much at that.

I think there's a certain line for hobbies, but after that it's all insanity  :confused:

Oh yeah don't even start with that OTD stuff.
That's straight up retarded paying for grands for a keyboard.

It's just a piece of aluminum and plastic... an overpriced very much at that.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 04:30:06 »
It's prestige pricing. By charging more, the seller creates the impression the item's of particularly high quality. And if buyers get that feeling from what they overpay for, it's an agreement the buyer and seller have made to create that experience.

Our whole economic system is sick anyway—how could anything not be that places the value of stuff above the value of people? What you've cited is just one aspect of it. Good luck.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 08:26:18 »
It's prestige pricing. By charging more, the seller creates the impression the item's of particularly high quality. And if buyers get that feeling from what they overpay for, it's an agreement the buyer and seller have made to create that experience.

Our whole economic system is sick anyway—how could anything not be that places the value of stuff above the value of people? What you've cited is just one aspect of it. Good luck.

I think ya'll are fighting over nothing..

It's allowed to be what it is..

There's no problem the -Act of overcharging people-   --existing--

But,   as it exists,   we must at least explain to the new topre users that hey.. yea $60, ur getting fleeced.. hahahahaha... Buy the silent edition instead..  Or don't buy topre at all ...

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 21:29:26 »
There is no silenced version of the RF RGB. There are no equivalent options available for what Hypersphere's rings provide. They increase my enjoyment of the board and you can't put a price on that.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 22:19:21 »
There is no silenced version of the RF RGB. There are no equivalent options available for what Hypersphere's rings provide. They increase my enjoyment of the board and you can't put a price on that.

You're personally ok with the price.

That's fine..     You could also WAIT for the silence version to come out,  so there is a price,  the price is to give it some time. as the full silence version will be much more balanced.

But for any new prospective Topre buyers jumping into this,  we have to at least explain that you are getting very little for that $60 price tag,  and the ultimate performance benefit is Dubious..

1,  the slider length is off,  leading to no expansion space for the rings to release impact energy which is part of increasing silence. So it's not nearly as effective as the full- S- version.

2, the dome precompression may eventually prematurely WARP or degrade the domes..   

As is, the top of the the slider where it contacts the dome has no alignment mechanism,  So as the dome is pre-compressed, it does not necessarily seat flush with the slider.

This continuous compression at a slight offset may cause dome Warping in time.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 22:24:56 »

That's fine..     You could also WAIT for the silence version to come out,  so there is a price,  the price is to give it some time. as the full silence version will be much more balanced.

But for any new prospective Topre buyers jumping into this,  we have to at least explain that you are getting very little for that $60 price tag,  and the ultimate performance benefit is Dubious..

1,  the slider length is off,  leading to no expansion space for the rings to release impact energy which is part of increasing silence. So it's not nearly as effective as the full- S- version.

2, the dome precompression may eventually prematurely WARP or degrade the domes..   

As is, the top of the the slider where it contacts the dome has no alignment mechanism,  So as the dome is pre-compressed, it does not necessarily seat flush with the slider.

Dome warping? I would seriously pay money to see some kind of simulation that expresses this visually
Chris Schammert

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 22:27:58 »

Dome warping? I would seriously pay money to see some kind of simulation that expresses this visually

Imagine pressing a basketball against the ground, if you pressed at it dead center, then it is expanded in all directions evenly.

Now, if this ball is compressed at a slight angle, then the walls would no longer be expanded evenly on all sides..

GIVEN TIME, one side of the dome wall will give more than the other,  leading to warping..

This doesn't happen in the type-S, because of the greater clearance, which has no dome pre-compression.

Offline EWBears

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 07:57:04 »
I just discovered this thread and I feel obligated to stop in and say: holy sh*t TP, you've got some issues.  I really don't like to resort to personal attacks on public forums but you are clearly getting very upset over a non-issue.

I'm sure that hypersphere is making a large profit margin on his silencing rings, but it's still a good product to have in the community and until someone decides to compete with him he can charge what he wants.  I have an HHKB pro BT, which doesn't have an option of stock silencing.  I bought hyperspheres and I'm happy with the product.  I also have owned type-s boards with topre silencing and I can't tell a difference.

Also, as to your point about 'dome compression' and warping, the HHKB type-s sliders are identical in height to the standard HHKB pro 2 sliders, so any 'warping' from the hypersphere rings will be identical to type-s warping (that is to say: non-existent).  Most people aren't going out and buying real force longer sliders and their silenced boards are fine.

So many people in this hobby love to complain about 'reduced key travel' and minor sound differences between silencing rings and stuff like that, but at a basic biological level it's *impossible* to tell the difference.  Your fingers just don't have the capability to distinguish between 4 mm of key travel and 3.9 mm.  You might perceive a difference in your head, but at a physiological level you don't have the ability to reliably discern between such a small difference.  Look at a ruler and find the 1 mm mark, then divide that by ten.

This whole hobby is a case study in neuroticism and mental health issues/rationalizing poor financial choices, and you are the grand jewel of the whole thing.

I challenge you to have 10 type-s boards and 10 hypersphere boards on a table and based on feel and sound divide them up into their respective groups and you'll be shocked by how wrong that you are.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 08:02:42 »
I just discovered this thread and I feel obligated to stop in and say: holy sh*t TP, you've got some issues.  I really don't like to resort to personal attacks on public forums but you are clearly getting very upset over a non-issue.

The product is over priced.

It does not matter if it's Apple corporation selling it,  Or Hypersphere -some dude-  selling it.

Why is it ok for -some dude- to sell overpriced product and fleece new users,  vs APPLE.. 

Why is it only right to report on the latter and not the former?

When someone new comes into the hobby,  they only have so much money..   

And this thread serves to inform them, that hyperspheres are not up to snuff,  you do not get what you're paying for, not even close to s-edition..

(The New silence edition sliders are different, the OLD version had the same sliders, You are wrong)

If new topre users are after silencing, they are getting a much better product by purchasing the S-edition, instead of paying for Extremely overpriced o-rings.

Offline EWBears

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 09:12:33 »
Thanks for ignoring 5/6 of my post and repeating what you've already stated 100 times, which is that hypersphere rings are overpriced.

If you're going to get mad about every person or company making money then hypersphere is bottom of the list.  How about the most valuable company in the world regularly making 40% profits on their phones and computers while making hundreds of dollars per sale? And they even have competition from android and windows so it's not a monopoly like hypersphere rings are...

Stop trying to force other people see things the same way as you and you will be a much happier person.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #134 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 09:19:30 »

Stop trying to force other people see things the same way as you and you will be a much happier person.

When it comes down to it,  You are wrong about the physical properties of swapping to hyperspheres.. PERIOD.

You have no bases as to claim they are equivalent to the type-s.

Every report has indicated thus far that while --similar-- they do not feel the same. 

They are reported as TOO THICK, as to indicate NOT ONLY pre-compression,  but also warping potential over the long run..

The mechanical reason comes down to Slider mismatch..

WHICH IS PRECISELY WHY,  they revised the Type-S slider from the original sliders..

If it is a choice between over-priced o-rings and Type-S,   Type-S is the ONLY choice, because it properly compensates for the ring's added thickness.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 09:37:05 »

If you're going to get mad about every person or company making money then hypersphere is bottom of the list.  How about the most valuable company in the world regularly making 40% profits on their phones and computers while making hundreds of dollars per sale? And they even have competition from android and windows so it's not a monopoly like hypersphere rings are...

So,  it's Not OK  that Cigarette companies kill millions of people..

But it's ok for 1 Killer to kill 1 other person ?

Do you even know what you're saying.. ?

In either case,  their action is wrong..  Doesn't matter where they rank on the list.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 09:42:16 »

When it comes down to it,  You are wrong about the physical properties of swapping to hyperspheres.. PERIOD.

Every report has indicated thus far that while --similar-- they do not feel the same. 

They are reported as TOO THICK, as to indicate NOT ONLY pre-compression,  but also warping potential over the long run..

WHICH IS PRECISELY WHY,  they revised the Type-S slider from the original sliders..

If it is a choice between over-priced o-rings and Type-S,   Type-S is the ONLY choice, because it properly compensates for the ring's added thickness.

I just can't overcome the idea that silicone can warp at room temperature. Thin silicone will crack if folded and stored in 37-54°C. I've seen't it. But the 2002 waterproof keyboard that I bought back in the day shows no signs of warping (war ping? I should copyright that..). Although humidity seeped into the crack and wrecked the circuitry. RIP floppy keyboard.
Chris Schammert

Offline EWBears

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 09:45:46 »
Wow man you are absolutely DELUSIONAL and still ignoring basically all of my counter-arguments.

No one is killing anyone else, they are making and selling a product.  If someone wants to buy it, then they do.  If no one agrees that the current price is fair, then the seller will lower the price until it has buyers.

Also, even if I agreed with your argument, your logic isn't sound at all.  Someone that kills 100 people is a greater priority for arrest than someone that kills 1.  If you think that selling something for profit is immoral, you should be mad at the ones selling a lot of something for a big profit.

I won't be returning to this thread but just know that anyone reading this can clearly see that you are unstable. I recommend seeking psychiatric help.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 10:14:16 »
Wow man you are absolutely DELUSIONAL and still ignoring basically all of my counter-arguments.

No one is killing anyone else, they are making and selling a product.  If someone wants to buy it, then they do.  If no one agrees that the current price is fair, then the seller will lower the price until it has buyers.

Also, even if I agreed with your argument, your logic isn't sound at all.  Someone that kills 100 people is a greater priority for arrest than someone that kills 1.  If you think that selling something for profit is immoral, you should be mad at the ones selling a lot of something for a big profit.

I won't be returning to this thread but just know that anyone reading this can clearly see that you are unstable.

Hahahaha..

You are compensating for your flawed argument, and unsound logic by ways of personal attack.

I can not help you with your stupidity, but at least you've now come away with more knowledge on Topre S-edition

This entire thread stands firmly on the very Mechanical nature of why those o-rings DO NOT work as intended,  are not equivalent to Type-S,  are overpriced, AND MAY do long term harm to the topre dome boards.

Hahahaha

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 10:16:07 »
OP has some major issues. Surprised this thread has not been locked yet. You can't just call the dude a greedy pig etc when you have no evidence to back up your claims. If you really could make the same thing at the same level of quality for cheap someone would have done so already and undercut him.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 10:16:46 »

I just can't overcome the idea that silicone can warp at room temperature. Thin silicone will crack if folded and stored in 37-54°C. I've seen't it. But the 2002 waterproof keyboard that I bought back in the day shows no signs of warping (war ping? I should copyright that..). Although humidity seeped into the crack and wrecked the circuitry. RIP floppy keyboard.

The Silicone warping is a hedge bet,   But silicone is not a very rigid structure, and if any pressure is place on it unevenly,  then the plasticizer will leak unevenly relative to its original un-encumbered shape.

overtime = warp

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 10:19:26 »
OP has some major issues. Surprised this thread has not been locked yet. You can't just call the dude a greedy pig etc when you have no evidence to back up your claims. If you really could make the same thing at the same level of quality for cheap someone would have done so already and undercut him.

We absolutely have evidence that he's been greedy.

As stated, he has already sold over 27,000 rings on ebay.

If the Original price he said to fill moq is approximately $1 per ring. (for a few hundred rings).   THat MOQ is far exceeded at this point.

So it should be Exponentially cheaper.  yet he has NOT lowered the price much at all.

In terms of manufacturing these are laser cut..

You can penetrate several sheets of material with even the most basic 90watt laser which is what the cheapest cnc laser cutters use.

probably around 10 to 20 sheets is possible.

Now consider how fast laser tracks run compared to cutting tracks, 

It takes no time at all to make thousands upon thousands of rings..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 10:25:44 »

The Silicone warping is a hedge bet,   But silicone is not a very rigid structure, and if any pressure is place on it unevenly,  then the plasticizer will leak unevenly relative to its original un-encumbered shape.

overtime = warp

So add more plasticizer to the silicone with silicone spray? It would have to be applied evenly and could affect the tactile curve and resistance but it'll re-supple where required, right? I've mentioned that before regarding older Topre board domes but people seem to be adverse to spraying their domes with silicone spray.
Chris Schammert

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #143 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 10:29:07 »

overtime = warp

So add more plasticizer to the silicone with silicone spray? It would have to be applied evenly and could affect the tactile curve and resistance but it'll re-supple where required, right? I've mentioned that before regarding older Topre board domes but people seem to be adverse to spraying their domes with silicone spray.

Think about an orange,  you squeeze it Just a little,   some of the pulp is broken, and the juices leak out..

You can rub it up all you want,  but you will never be able to erect the precise pulp which has leaked or broken.

That is the same case with silicone leaking plasticizer.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 10:37:26 »

You can't compare Hypersphere Rings to a Type-S though, as the Type-S slider barrels are slightly longer to accommodate for the silencing ring, while the regular HHKB sliders do not accommodate for this.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 10:46:07 »

You can't compare Hypersphere Rings to a Type-S though, as the Type-S slider barrels are slightly longer to accommodate for the silencing ring, while the regular HHKB sliders do not accommodate for this.

the new hkkb s sliders does compensate for this.

All the more reason, that hypersphere is simply not the way to go , on top of just being ridiculously over-priced

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 11:18:48 »

overtime = warp

Think about an orange,  you squeeze it Just a little,   some of the pulp is broken, and the juices leak out..

You can rub it up all you want,  but you will never be able to erect the precise pulp which has leaked or broken.

That is the same case with silicone leaking plasticizer.

Oranges? Alright, but an orange is much more porous when compared to silicone. So what you're saying is the plasticizer evaporates like normal and the sections of silicone affected by the theoretical warping lose more from evaporation because of the redistribution of plasticizer? Would this theoretical warping be perceivable to the end user? I would think someone would need some sophisticated equipment to measure that kind of deviation.
Chris Schammert

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 11:21:21 »

Oranges? Alright, but an orange is much more porous when compared to silicone. So what you're saying is the plasticizer evaporates like normal and the sections of silicone affected by the theoretical warping lose more from evaporation because of the redistribution of plasticizer? Would this theoretical warping be perceivable to the end user? I would think someone would need some sophisticated equipment to measure that kind of deviation.

I've had silicone port covers on electronics which take on permanent dents if left in the drawer up against other objects..

So I don't see how the silicone cup in a keyboard would be any different. 

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 13:48:36 »

I see people say this a lot but I don't really understand.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the key bottoms out when the base of the slider fully compresses the dome and spring into the PCB. Now, I'm not saying there isn't something different about Type-S sliders, but if there is, I don't see how making the slider barrel longer would affect the travel.

This means you could make the slider barrel 40 cm taller so the keycap is sticking way up in the air and it wouldn't affect the pre-compression or length of the stroke. You would have to make the base of the slider thinner to accommodate the thickness of the ring, or make an indentation for the dome to recede into the base of the slider if you wanted to return the travel to its original specifications. Perhaps I'll take apart my Type-S later and examine it closer.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #149 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 14:22:23 »
I honestly support TP on this and I don't even know the guy. I am saying this because he is trying to help out those who really may not know much on what they are buying.

People are so used to spending legit ridiculous (including myself) on keyboard stuff that may let anything pass in this hobby.

Anyway, he can't stop people who will still buy them anyway. He is just informing.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 May 2017, 14:27:00 by DuckNorris »