Author Topic: I think Hypersphere rings are overpriced  (Read 31731 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: [PSA] Do not support Hypersphere
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 14:52:54 »
You can't compare Hypersphere Rings to a Type-S though, as the Type-S slider barrels are slightly longer to accommodate for the silencing ring, while the regular HHKB sliders do not accommodate for this.

I see people say this a lot but I don't really understand.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the key bottoms out when the base of the slider fully compresses the dome and spring into the PCB. Now, I'm not saying there isn't something different about Type-S sliders, but if there is, I don't see how making the slider barrel longer would affect the travel.

This means you could make the slider barrel 40 cm taller so the keycap is sticking way up in the air and it wouldn't affect the pre-compression or length of the stroke. You would have to make the base of the slider thinner to accommodate the thickness of the ring, or make an indentation for the dome to recede into the base of the slider if you wanted to return the travel to its original specifications. Perhaps I'll take apart my Type-S later and examine it closer.

The new sliders have Thinner base to compensate for the thickness of the ring, ONTOP of longer barrel for travel.

Which is why the S-Type is absolutely the best solution to silencing.. and COMPLETELY superior to overpriced -orings which operate out of spec, and may do long term damage to your keyboard.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #151 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 15:17:51 »
You can't compare Hypersphere Rings to a Type-S though, as the Type-S slider barrels are slightly longer to accommodate for the silencing ring, while the regular HHKB sliders do not accommodate for this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the key bottoms out when the base of the slider fully compresses the dome and spring into the PCB. Now, I'm not saying there isn't something different about Type-S sliders, but if there is, I don't see how making the slider barrel longer would affect the travel.

This means you could make the slider barrel 40 cm taller so the keycap is sticking way up in the air and it wouldn't affect the pre-compression or length of the stroke. You would have to make the base of the slider thinner to accommodate the thickness of the ring, or make an indentation for the dome to recede into the base of the slider if you wanted to return the travel to its original specifications. Perhaps I'll take apart my Type-S later and examine it closer.

The new sliders have Thinner base to compensate for the thickness of the ring, ONTOP of longer barrel for travel.

Which is why the S-Type is absolutely the best solution to silencing.. and COMPLETELY superior to overpriced -orings which operate out of spec, and may do long term damage to your keyboard.

Except that Type-S also costs far more than the price of a standard HHKB + Hyperspheres  ;)
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 15:20:38 »

Except that Type-S also costs far more than the price of a standard HHKB + Hyperspheres  ;)

At the end of the day,  The entire Topre genre may well be overpriced..

But in comparison.. AT LEAST the official Topre Type-S  WORKS. and is properly spaced

The orings from hsphere are seriously overpriced, ontop of simply NOT providing remotely the same experience. with precompression, reduced travel,  Reduced tactile feedback  and  potential long term irreversible warping

Offline kconfire

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 16:12:02 »
Just FYI all, Topre keyboards are all overpriced.  Don't deny the fact! lol
I have 2 HHKB Type-S and 1 HHKB BT, and have gone through the regular HHKB Pro 2, RF 104 45g silent, and RF 87 EK Edition (45g), and I'd say all of them are overpriced for what they are.

I don't blame the price though- there aren't that many competitors that will compete against Realforce and HHKB series within capacitive keyboard market.
Maybe if Realforce and HHKB had real competitor screaming high quality, maybe they'll do something with their pricing.
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 16:39:03 »
I have 2 HHKB Type-S and 1 HHKB BT, and have gone through the regular HHKB Pro 2, RF 104 45g silent, and RF 87 EK Edition (45g), and I'd say all of them are overpriced for what they are.

I don't blame the price though- there aren't that many competitors that will compete against Realforce and HHKB series within capacitive keyboard market.
Maybe if Realforce and HHKB had real competitor screaming high quality, maybe they'll do something with their pricing.

Or unless a Chinese company comes around and makes some clones etc. However, doubt it matters are Cherry never really made things cheaper after Gaterons, Khalils, etc have come out.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 17:28:23 »

I have a Packard Bell Keyboard that sells for about $15 on today's market, and it'seemed comparable to topre for less than 10% of the price. It also has cherry stems, so it'should arguably better.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 17:42:57 »

I have a Packard Bell Keyboard that sells for about $15 on today's market, and it'seemed comparable to topre for less than 10% of the price. It also has cherry stems, so it'should arguably better.

hahahah.

Ok we're not going to incite the wrath of the Topre fans on this one, by going that far..

But whether you're a fan of Topre or not..

DO NOT support Hypersphere, because he is blatantly overcharging // fleecing New Users to the keyboard hobby..

Offline EWBears

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 20:16:55 »

hahahah.

Ok we're not going to incite the wrath of the Topre fans on this one, by going that far..

But whether you're a fan of Topre or not..

DO NOT support Hypersphere, because he is blatantly overcharging // fleecing New Users to the keyboard hobby..

Do you not see your own hypocrisy in this post??? Topre can manufacture an HHKB for under $50, as evidenced by the plum Chinese topre clones.  You should be up on your soapbox saying that they are fleecing users and they're taking way more than hypersphere.

Please mods close this thread - it's just a pointless attack on hypersphere by a deranged moron who has NO problem holding two contradictory views simultaneously.

TP go to a psychiatrist, seriously, you're a mental case.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 20:21:40 »

Do you not see your own hypocrisy in this post??? Topre can manufacture an HHKB for under $50, as evidenced by the plum Chinese topre clones.  You should be up on your soapbox saying that they are fleecing users and they're taking way more than hypersphere.

Hahahaha..

You're new here..

But, You should know I am probably the biggest anti-Topre campaigner on Geekhack.. hahahaha..

Despite that,  I will however not standby when new keyboard enthusiasts topre or otherwise enter the hobby pay such a Huge rip-off which is very avoidable.

I would agree topre is fleecing the weebs buying them..  But,  that's for another thread...  THIS thread is about being taken advantage of by overpriced O-rings.

And for the kiddies who think everyone they don't agree with is either --unstable-- or --psychotic--..   You should be more afraid if your prediction is true..

EWBears ,,  What if you're RIGHT...   do you really want to meet the --Real Tp4 ?-- hahahahahahahahahha

Who knows what I might do... Who knows what I HAVE DONE..   

What could we accomplish  TOGETHER..

// maximum creepy stare..

ahahahahahahahahaha

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 20:38:48 »

hahahah.

I'm just telling it how I see it. I don't have any issue with Topre, they just don't produce any boards I would buy. The real force has a enormous bezel, and the hhkb is missing 2 keys on the bottom row.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 20:39:16 »
Where's halverson or fanpeople,  they could back Tp4 up on how creepy Tp4 is... hahahahahahaha

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 20:41:50 »
I'm just telling it how I see it. I don't have any issue with Topre, they just don't produce any boards I would buy. The real force has a enormous bezel, and the hhkb is missing 2 keys on the bottom row.

I would say those fall under choices..    but if we are Limited to the flat platform, instead of the superior split platform....

Thennnn....  I would say it is generally agreed upon that hhkb is cumbersome for real productivity use..   the space saving doesn't really pay out equivalent to all the extra layering you have to deal with for work-applications.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #162 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 20:47:01 »
Where's halverson or fanpeople,  they could back Tp4 up on how creepy Tp4 is... hahahahahahaha

Subbing in as halverson's temporary intern (he doesn't know tho please don't tell him..)

Confirmed. Albeit very informative at times, tp4tissue is probably most likely one of the creepiest guys in the verse.
Chris Schammert

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 20:49:11 »

Subbing in as halverson's temporary intern (he doesn't know tho please don't tell him..)

Confirmed. Albeit very informative at times, tp4tissue is probably most likely one of the creepiest guys in the verse.

Yea, but we've recently had Jonathan and his lick thing..   I think that one fact really puts him in the race on me.. hahahahahahaha

Offline robbles

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 22:17:49 »

THIS. Longer slider just compensates for key height, not travel. Travel could be compensated by making the slider base thinner or raising the plate somehow. There has been evidence that the Type-S does neither (as far as I know).

Topre silencing, in my opinion, isn't even very necessary. It's already a very quiet switch. This is a better message to communicate to people new to this hobby, rather than throwing a vendor under the bus for turning a nice profit. A vendor that has plenty of posts and comments that don't even promote his product. Any newbie will see this post, immediately acknowledge that TP4 is a troll, and move on. If you really want to help new members, you would choose your words more wisely as to not immediately discredit everything you say.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 22:24:43 »
lol I'm just seeing this.

tp4 made shills butthurt, and they used gifs!

good work!~

Offline PleaseBeMyFriend

• formerly honsoo
  • reddit /u/PleaseBeMyFriend
« Reply #166 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 12:22:59 »
Hyperspheres are the artisans of silencing rings.

Imo beehatch's dental bands are just as good an really only lose in my book regarding long term quality.

I for one kinda feel dumb for paying what I did for them, but then again whatever Yolo Nam sayin

except dental bands feel like trash too

I've tried self cut out silicon sheets and hole punched them and they feel pretty good as well.

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #167 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 14:38:08 »
Topre silencing, in my opinion, isn't even very necessary. It's already a very quiet switch.

Not on boards made by Topre, but on the Novatouch or any other board with MX sliders I would say it's necessary.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 18:35:37 »
Topre silencing, in my opinion, isn't even very necessary. It's already a very quiet switch.

Not on boards made by Topre, but on the Novatouch or any other board with MX sliders I would say it's necessary.

mx silent is WAY more quiet

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #169 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 19:59:30 »
"Overcharging", yes... its called capitalism and I would too. Why would he go to the trouble of all that work without making a profit?

Fleecing? Now that is a stretch imho. If Hypersphere was on here posting thousands of times making outrageous and false claims, that is one thing. But he is not.

If you want to voice your opinion about his products, fine. But it seems to me that this thread is starting to walk the fine line of slander with comments inferring his state of mind and intentions... things you know nothing about.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline joric

« Reply #170 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 20:14:55 »
He's okay. If you want cheap hypersphere-like rings (that are not that "premium" quality, I guess), you can cut your own.
It costs just about 1-2 cents per ring all things considered (~600 rings per sheet).

Offline PleaseBeMyFriend

• formerly honsoo
  • reddit /u/PleaseBeMyFriend
« Reply #171 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 20:27:49 »
He's okay. If you want cheap hypersphere-like rings (that are not that "premium" quality, I guess), you can cut your own.
It costs just about 1-2 cents per ring all things considered (~600 rings per sheet).

Show Image

This is exactly what I did.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #172 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 20:28:03 »

Show Image

I can totally understand why someone would want to laser cut these little guys. Centering that middle punch a few hundred times would frustrate me to no end.
Chris Schammert

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 21:05:34 »

Show Image

I can totally understand why someone would want to laser cut these little guys. Centering that middle punch a few hundred times would frustrate me to no end.

then ur doing it wrong. hahahaha

draw lines on the sheet first and just line it up.. straight everytime.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #174 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 21:37:23 »

Show Image

Lordy. Even if I did it the 'right way' a few hundred times it would still frustrate me to no end. Besides, it's 2017, why not laser cut if you want to do more than 105?
Chris Schammert

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #175 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 21:49:40 »

Show Image

Lordy. Even if I did it the 'right way' a few hundred times it would still frustrate me to no end. Besides, it's 2017, why not laser cut if you want to do more than 105?

wellll.. for rings, it's actually really easy, 

Because I could go out tomorrow..  Buy a 5 watt laser bolt it to my cnc,  and make hundreds of these in less than an hour.

IN FACT,  if we really wanted to  Geekhack could BUY a laser etcher for ~300,  it's not gonna be fast,  but it's accurate enough for cutting small stuff.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 22:40:03 »

Show Image

Because I could go out tomorrow..  Buy a 5 watt laser bolt it to my cnc,  and make hundreds of these in less than an hour.

IN FACT,  if we really wanted to  Geekhack could BUY a laser etcher for ~300,  it's not gonna be fast,  but it's accurate enough for cutting small stuff.

GOOD NEWS GUYS TP IS GOING THROUGH WITH HIS GROUP BUY

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #177 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 23:14:57 »
****-tier thread, would downvote if I could.

Instead of whining about the price of keyboards (topre or otherwise), rings, or anything more expensive than a $10 rubber dome keyboard, why don't you offer an alternative?  Answer: effort.  Even know Trump has no idea about how trickle down and it's failures, other economic theories like supply and demand are alive and well.

I'd love to see your analysis of collectibles like baseball cards ('why would anybody pay thousands of dollars for a single baseball card when an entire box can be had for ~$50?'), automobiles ('why would anybody pay over $1m for a car when a Ford Focus will get you where you want to go for less than $15,000'), ad nauseum.

RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #178 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 00:21:03 »

Show Image

GOOD NEWS GUYS TP IS GOING THROUGH WITH HIS GROUP BUY

Hahahahahaha.. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #179 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 00:22:04 »

The previous Tp4 vs Fanpeople  thread on who is more creepy had no definitive answer..

So... we might need a poll.

Offline Moderation Team

• * Global Moderator
Re: I think Hypersphere rings are overpriced
« Reply #180 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 10:24:26 »
We've received a lot of reports about this thread because of the tone of the discussion here.  If you have a disagreement about pricing of an item in a free market situation, you are welcome to discuss it in a constructive manner.  If someone wishes to create a new thread in the DIY section discussing crafting alternatives to these rings for a lower price as well as pros and cons of each method, please do so.