Author Topic: New i-rocks switch looks like complicated ALPS with cherry stem.  (Read 5326 times)

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
I'm sure some purists are going to call blasphemy, but there are some interesting similarities. Has anyone seen and/or tried these?

« Last Edit: Fri, 02 June 2017, 23:52:45 by SpectreiiI »

Offline Meyvn

Re: New i-rocks switch is like complicated ALPS with cherry stem.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 22:50:41 »
If these turn out to be legitimate and widely available, that would be incredible news. It might even get me interested in building from a custom kit. But I would argue "is like" is a statement that should be reserved for someone who has actually tried both. Marketing claims are just claims until there's actual customers to back them up.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 22:53:26 »
They look interesting, but like Meyvn said, I would rather hear they are similar from someone who has gotten a chance to try them. Could make for some interesting projects though.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 23:02:39 »
They're too light and damped; they sound like MX Blue.  I spent good money on the board when they Kickstartered it.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 23:25:17 »
They're too light and damped; they sound like MX Blue.  I spent good money on the board when they Kickstartered it.
That's rather amazing considering that they have a dedicated click leaf assembly and 75g weighting. I watched the comparison video, and they sound different, but not enough to distinguish whether it's the board, caps, or the switch.

I don't understand how these companies invest all of this money creating molds for their own switch designs without actually ensuring that the switches function well enough to justify the cost of the tooling. These are terribly complicated switches. As a matter of fact, my twin stage switches have fewer parts, and they are literally 2 switches per switch.

Just curious? Do you still have that board? I would be interested in modifying them if nothing else.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 June 2017, 00:04:41 by SpectreiiI »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: New i-rocks switch looks like complicated ALPS with cherry stem.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 01:29:38 »
I have a loose swit h, but I was a bit disheartened when I found out that they only came on Lego boards Oo .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Meyvn

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 02:57:45 »
I have a loose swit h, but I was a bit disheartened when I found out that they only came on Lego boards Oo .

I don't suppose you think they could be transplanted to an existing Alps board?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 03:20:42 »

It looks like they could but if it feels like an MX Blue what would be the point?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 08:15:13 »

The LEGO layer can be replaced by a flat plastic layer with a plain or patterened insert...

I'm not sure how to make sure that what you buy comes with the plain layer and the pack of inserts, though.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 09:30:47 »

It looks like they could but if it feels like an MX Blue what would be the point?
They can't. The housings have a different footprint and the leads are in a different location. So the only option would be to hand wire.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 10:14:31 »

The LEGO layer can be replaced by a flat plastic layer with a plain or patterened insert...
Show Image

I'm not sure how to make sure that what you buy comes with the plain layer and the pack of inserts, though.
I don't even know how to order these things in the first place xD . They seemed to have kind of just up and disappeared.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 11:17:26 »
IMHO, Omron made logitech g switches are still the best..
Stop the vegan thing, tp, it's killing your brain!

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 12:51:47 »

Show Image

I don't even know how to order these things in the first place xD . They seemed to have kind of just up and disappeared.
i-rocks had a rather large display for them at computex, so they are definitely pushing them. They just aren't interested in selling them unless they are soldered to a board. I would imagine it has something to do with the fact that their aren't any other pcb's that currently support them. Or, it is possible that they are aware that the switches do not offer any appreciable value over a standard cherry switch, and they are looking to revise the mechanics before releasing them to the aftermarket.

The switch has all the required allowances to be amazing.  I guarantee you that if we could get a hold of some, they would be worth modding.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 14:54:49 »

Show Image

i-rocks had a rather large display for them at computex, so they are definitely pushing them. They just aren't interested in selling them unless they are soldered to a board. I would imagine it has something to do with the fact that their aren't any other pcb's that currently support them. Or, it is possible that they are aware that the switches do not offer any appreciable value over a standard cherry switch, and they are looking to revise the mechanics before releasing them to the aftermarket.

The switch has all the required allowances to be amazing.  I guarantee you that if we could get a hold of some, they would be worth modding.
I haven't seen them pushed anywhere. Maybe they're applying at the Asian market but I haven't seen them come by here.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 22:09:08 »
I haven't seen them pushed anywhere. Maybe they're applying at the Asian market but I haven't seen them come by here.
These were posted yesterday. Scroll down past the Leopold stuff for the i-rocks display. It is in Asia.

https://m.imgur.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/jSd9N
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 June 2017, 10:46:44 by SpectreiiI »

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 07:26:39 »

Show Image

PCHome seems to have them...a few sketchy eBay sellers, too, but mainly with large markups and a lack of important information (like which switch type you're buying!).
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 11:38:41 »
PCHome seems to have them...a few sketchy eBay sellers, too, but mainly with large markups and a lack of important information (like which switch type you're buying!).
So it looks like the IRK76M is the only model that comes with the i-rocks switches. They go for 3990 Tawainese Dollars, or $133 USD before shipping. That board is full size, so it's essentially $1.29 USD a switch.

Offline hanya

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 22:43:32 »
Each switch of IRK76M has 4pins RGB LED and switch has 2pins. If you want to desolder switches from it, you have to work with 6pins per switch.
PFU HHKB JP, Sanwa MA-TB38 trackball

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 17:21:59 »
Each switch of IRK76M has 4pins RGB LED and switch has 2pins. If you want to desolder switches from it, you have to work with 6pins per switch.
Yep. Needless to say, I would be deleting the led wiring, lol.