Author Topic: Abbreviations  (Read 3692 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Abbreviations
« on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 22:01:11 »
Does anyone else (apart from Rowdy) use abbreviations as one word sentences?

Like if someone asks "Who's coming for a trip to the pub?" and you'd respond "I'm" - which is a contraction of "I am".  Normally I guess you'd respond "me", or "I am", but "I'm" is grammatically correct, afaik.

Or if you are in a group, you could answer "we're" - "we are".

Have anyone else regularly done this?

I've.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline klaushouse

Re: Abbreviations
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 22:10:00 »
I've never thought about this but now it will obsess me until I figure out a reason this is still grammatically incorrect.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 00:26:46 »
I'm pretty sure it is grammatically incorrect. In this bit by the Cambridge Dictionary:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/writing/contractions

Towards the bottom it says that you shouldn't use contractions at the end of a sentence

We don’t use affirmative contractions at the end of clauses:

A:

I think we’re lost.

B:

Yes, I think we are.

Not: I think we’re

It feels weird to say it in my head, and looking at that I don't think I would consider doing it.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 03:44:23 »
i asay whatever iwana

u can'tsop me.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 04:55:16 »

Would sound too much like 'where' when pronounced.

> Are you coming along?
> "Where"

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 05:15:48 »
I hadn't even thought about being able to pronounce words with apostrophes in before this... Sounds wrong trying to.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 05:54:07 »
The common phrase around year the locals always say is 'you'ins', it is pronounced as one quick word that sounds like "yoonz".

Example:

Q: Is anyone sitting here?
A: You'ins are welcome to.

Q: How many more people can fit in the elevator?
A: You'ins can squeeze in here.

Q: Can you take our photo?
A: Sure, You'ins look real nice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 21:53:43 »
I'm pretty sure it is grammatically incorrect. In this bit by the Cambridge Dictionary:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/writing/contractions

Towards the bottom it says that you shouldn't use contractions at the end of a sentence

We don’t use affirmative contractions at the end of clauses:

A:

I think we’re lost.

B:

Yes, I think we are.

Not: I think we’re

It feels weird to say it in my head, and looking at that I don't think I would consider doing it.

Interesting link, but ...

I seem to recall reading an olden book a while back that did use two contractions per word quite regularly.  Can't remember the book, but probably something from the general era of, say, Alice in Wonderland.

Also sometimes contractions are used where the full sentence would not make sense.

Isn't it a nice day out!

Is not it a nice day out!

Maybe as a programmer I'm always expanding function calls in my mind when I read code, so I expand contractions in my mind when I read or hear sentences.  So to me "I am" and "I'm" are the same.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 21:55:04 »

Would sound too much like 'where' when pronounced.

> Are you coming along?
> "Where"

Regional differences in pronunciation.

If I were to say it, it would sound more like "weir".

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 21:55:56 »
The common phrase around year the locals always say is 'you'ins', it is pronounced as one quick word that sounds like "yoonz".

Example:

Q: Is anyone sitting here?
A: You'ins are welcome to.

Q: How many more people can fit in the elevator?
A: You'ins can squeeze in here.

Q: Can you take our photo?
A: Sure, You'ins look real nice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

In Straya we'd just say "youse" (pronounced like yooz).

Youse are welcome to it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 01:54:54 »
That double-contracted word might have been sha'n't - shall not.

Or it mightn't have been.

Also, Wikipedia has a list of some: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:List_of_English_contractions

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 06:48:04 »
Quote from: Rowdy
Does anyone else (apart from Rowdy) use abbreviations as one word sentences?... Like if someone asks "Who's coming for a trip to the pub?" and you'd respond "I'm" - which is a contraction of "I am".  Normally I guess you'd respond "me", or "I am", but "I'm" is grammatically correct, afaik... Or if you are in a group, you could answer "we're" - "we are"...

It's novel and all, dude—but the purpose of contractions is to save time, not to cause confusion by keeping people hanging for details that never arrive.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 07:01:38 »
Okay, I've now actually found some references to why the use of a stand-alone contraction is considered an error in English.

The long discussion is here. It boils down to the principle that you can't use a contracted form in a grammatically stressed position. For example:

Correct: I don't know what it is.

Incorrect: I don't know what it's.

"In American English, the contracted form ’ve is only possible as an auxiliary verb. It is not grammatical as a main verb."

Hope this helps.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 08:47:08 »
Okay, I've now actually found some references to why the use of a stand-alone contraction is considered an error in English.

The long discussion is here. It boils down to the principle that you can't use a contracted form in a grammatically stressed position. For example:

"In American English, the contracted form ’ve is only possible as an auxiliary verb. It is not grammatical as a main verb."

Hope this helps.

english is just like facebook,  let's patch in everything and gobble up lots of cpu power with bad process-management.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 11:24:14 »
"poop" - "poo".

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 21:44:08 »

Hope this helps.

What's all this talk of "can't use a contracted form in a grammatically stressed position"?

I do it all the time, therefore I can!

Perhaps they meant "shouldn't"?

Anyway, the question wasn't can (or should) you do it, but who actually does it :p

I've.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 04:53:58 »
I'ven't.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 21:51:53 »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 23:52:40 »
some people say keeb instead of keyboard, it's a bit of a sore point for some people. But apparently keeb actually means penis so if you say to someone i like your keeb, you are really saying i like your penis.

The end

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 03:40:28 »
I'ven't.
This.
I don't use a lot of abbreviations because English isn't my first language so I have a hard time keeping track of them all. :D
I have to keep up with slang as well.
The cool kids on twitch use abbreviations I don't know what mean and I have to look them up.  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 21:46:34 »
some people say keeb instead of keyboard, it's a bit of a sore point for some people. But apparently keeb actually means penis so if you say to someone i like your keeb, you are really saying i like your penis.

The end

That keeb thread made me throw up in my mouth.

I had to suppress my nausea even to type this response.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 21:46:54 »
I'ven't.
This.
I don't use a lot of abbreviations because English isn't my first language so I have a hard time keeping track of them all. :D
The cool kids on twitch use abbreviations I don't know what mean and I have to look them up.  :p

I speak the language, but I don't necessarily know how it works.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 08:04:00 »
I'ven't.
This.

I speak the language, but I don't necessarily know how it works.
This is how I feel about all languages. :D