Author Topic: Free space on new MacBooks  (Read 4050 times)

Offline darren.beauchamp

Free space on new MacBooks
« on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 04:26:43 »
I do not know whether this topic is already an old hat, but I cannot remain silent. I must vent out somewhere.

Is it me or a laptop with 128GB of disk storage is a disgrace? I mean the entry-level MacBooks released in 2017. Seriously, even a smartphone nowadays goes with 64GB of built-in memory AND you can pop-in 256GB SD (!)

Who will even buy such a thing? Is it only for promotional purposes? Releasing a cheap and useless model only to have a possibility to rub its price into competitor’s faces? However, when a customer opts for a bigger SSD (or an adequate amount of RAM for that matter) the sum grows up to be pretty hefty.

Being a graphic designer, disk space shortage is a constant pain for me. I had my own ways of dealing with it for years. I use Mac cleaners for my 2011 MBP (most recent one is MacFly Pro https://macflypro.com), I get rid of everything I do not need, keep an eye on duplicates, and dump all localizations I do not need. I use external storage units for my “archives”, so the disk contains only the files I currently work with.

However, even for my modest appetites, 128GB is next to nothing – simply unjustifiable. Even a cat would not squeeze into it  ;D

Is it maybe a new trend? Maybe I am just behind the times. There is a possibility that such disk capacity is okay for some people. After all, it became a norm to store everything in a cloud and use streaming services instead of having your own media library. However, as a person that deals constantly with media files, I prefer having them on my disk at least while I am still working on them. After all, I do not want to throw myself at the mercy of coffice’s Wi-Fi each time I work out of home.

Okay, maybe it’s just my specific view of the problem. Maybe students who use their laptops for research and web-surfing will be satisfied with this minimum capacity.

Still, is this scarcity enough for merely running a sufficient number of apps? I mean, I tried to install an antivirus (I know, rather a luxurious precaution on a Mac, but I wanted to test it) and it requested 2 GB of free disk space. 2 GB for one flipping app, seriously…  it’s not even a game. (A game, on the other hand, would have gobbled up at least ten times that amount, but I digress, as Macs for gaming has always been a controversial topic).

What I am trying to say is that even some word processor, a browser, and a couple utilities can hardly be squeezed into this “premium machine”. And that to say nothing of the RAM they will hog all the time. For someone who doesn’t like watching everything they install, 128GB will run out in a week!

Even back in 2015 people were quite cautious about it and asked on Apple Support forums would 128GB be enough for OS and app updates alone (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7132673?start=0) Even back in 2015 they were answered it would not.

High Sierra tackled the problem to some extent (new file system and video coding aimed to make files take up less disk space). However, software devs aren’t as keen on optimizing as I’d wish them to be. Apps became more and more resource-hungry.

Will the competition for disk space begin keeping them at bay? Unless, as I pointed out earlier, this ridiculous 128GB MacBooks aren’t supposed to be actually used.

What’s your game, Apple?  :-\
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 December 2017, 02:18:49 by darren.beauchamp »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
Re: Free space on new MacBooks
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 07:21:12 »
I think there is a market for these kinds of computers. They make up lovely school-computers and that may be the target audience. There is no way you could download anything fun on a 64GB disk so instead of restricting a school computer via software it can be done via hardware, which saves money.

This is just my take on it, I would not see anything else useful with a 64GB harddrive unless it's to force people to use their cloud service  :)
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline darren.beauchamp

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 07:50:07 »
I think there is a market for these kinds of computers. They make up lovely school-computers and that may be the target audience. There is no way you could download anything fun on a 64GB disk so instead of restricting a school computer via software it can be done via hardware, which saves money.

This is just my take on it, I would not see anything else useful with a 64GB harddrive unless it's to force people to use their cloud service  :)

Wow, the first reason actually makes sense!  :thumb: Didn't think of that.
The second makes even more sense, though  :))

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 07:51:35 »
This is the same market segmentation as luxury cars.

There's no real reason why they can't make all cars at least LOOK like luxury cars..

But in order to create larger margins, on NEARLY Identical products, they must differentiate some-where..

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 10:45:22 »
I was talking with a coworker about this trend to remove local storage with the intention that people will be putting more and more data on cloud storage. Other than my artwork and photography, a lot of my local storage has been taken up by movies and music - both of which are now moving to streaming based services instead of pirating. Which means for the first time in forever, i'm actually using less storage space now than I have in the past.

I still like a local NAS on my home network though for backups and media.
-Dana

Offline Coreda

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 11:51:53 »
Is this an SSD or hard drive? Might explain why it's 128 minimum I guess. As even the Macbooks from a decade ago had 256GB, which you could swap out for something even larger. Not sure if you can swap the drives out now... I know with the Pros it's soldered.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 15:56:57 »
I was talking with a coworker about this trend to remove local storage with the intention that people will be putting more and more data on cloud storage. Other than my artwork and photography, a lot of my local storage has been taken up by movies and music - both of which are now moving to streaming based services instead of pirating. Which means for the first time in forever, i'm actually using less storage space now than I have in the past.

Only plebs watch netfrix..

Dat's not real 4k.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 18:47:14 »
More
THERE IS NO RATIONAL REASON TO EVER PURCHASE ANY TYPE OF CRAPPLE® PRODUCT. ANY CRAPPLE® MACINTRASH MACKBOOK IS A PIECE OF GARBAGE AND SHOULD BE THROWN IN A DUMPSTER IMMEDIATELY. ONLY A FOOL WOULD PAY A HIGHLY INFLATED PRICE FOR A PIECE OF JUNK MADE BY SLAVES IN THE ORIENT THAT USES THE SAME FOXCONN MOTHERBOARD AS A CHEAP ACER. THE LOW AMOUNTS OF STORAGE SPACE ARE JUST ONE OF MANY REASONS NOT TO PURCHASE A CRAPPLE® MAC BOOK. A GOOD SOLUTION FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE INADVERTENTLY ENTERED THE TRAP OF CRAPPLE® PRODUCTS IS TO CEASE AND DESIST USING THEM IMMEDIATELY, COVER UP ALL CRAPPLE® LOGOS AND INSIGNIA, AND SWITCH TO WINDOWS RIGHT AWAY WITHOUT DELAY. THE CRAPPLE® MACINTRASH OPERATING SYSTEM (ALSO KNOWN IS MAC OS X) IS ANOTHER STUPID RIP-OFF THAT YOU SHOULD STEER VERY CLEAR OF!

Mod edit: more tag
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 December 2017, 19:15:22 by user 18 »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 19:22:55 »

Dat's not real 4k.

I've never been able to get a good stream of 4k from netflix or amazon - then again i'm on that slow internet connection  :))  But the point is the same right... I generally choose to watch stuff streaming instead of downloading it now.
-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 19:34:13 »

Dat's not real 4k.

I've never been able to get a good stream of 4k from netflix or amazon - then again i'm on that slow internet connection  :))  But the point is the same right... I generally choose to watch stuff streaming instead of downloading it now.

Tp4  dosn't watch anything unless it comes at 40mbit/s or above..  90mbit/s prefered.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 23:42:21 »
Mod edit: more tag
welcome back! we missed windows!

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 05:22:59 »
My (then) 2 year old put a series of pretty big dings on my 50inch flatscreen a year ago and i've trained myself not to notice them when watching TV so I can't bring myself to get particularly precious about how compressed my 4k stream is.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 12:38:18 »
My (then) 2 year old put a series of pretty big dings on my 50inch flatscreen a year ago and i've trained myself not to notice them when watching TV so I can't bring myself to get particularly precious about how compressed my 4k stream is.

Well 4k Stream from netflix goes upwards of 15mbit..

The OLD blurays go up to 40mbit

The NEW 4k Blurays go up to 100mbit (Thus far, higher is still possible)

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 14:10:29 »
In general, I’ve always thought this trend was due to the cloud.  Think of a Chromebook.  It’s basically a modern day terminal and just provides a front end to your online web/email/office/steaming etc experience.  Now I’m not making excuses for Apple about being cheap and a Macbook has a different target market than a Chromebook, but I think they’re both examples of the trend.  Cloud storage / computing isn’t for everyone, but then again neither is multi-hundred dollar keyboards.