Author Topic: Aluminum VS Brass Opinions  (Read 11455 times)

Offline captainish

Aluminum VS Brass Opinions
« on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 22:12:24 »
Hey guys,
I have been typing on Topre at home and blacks at work for about 3 years now. I hate clicky, and I waver between linear and tactile.  Thinking about jumping on the Mars 8.0 TKL and I want to know your opinions on aluminum VS brass plates and weights. It would be great if anyone who lives in New England with both would be ok with meeting up for a test drive.

Until then, tell me which I should consider and why.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 February 2018, 22:17:35 by captainish »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Aluminum VS Brass Opinions
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 23:03:21 »
Hey guys,
I have been typing on Topre at home and blacks at work for about 3 years now. I hate clicky, and I waver between linear and tactile.  Thinking about jumping on the Mars 8.0 TKL and I want to know your opinions on aluminum VS brass plates and weights. It would be great if anyone who lives in New England with both would be ok with meeting up for a test drive.

many people prefer brass because of the sound

personally i prefer alu because anodized alu doesn't tarnish and i don't really care about sound
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 23:06:51 »
Hey guys,

personally i prefer alu because anodized alu doesn't tarnish and i don't really care about sound

I thought PVD brass doesn't tarnish

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 23:11:56 »
Hey guys,

most plates aren't pvd because it's really expensive and not many places do it
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 23:16:38 »
Hey guys,

That makes sense. I usually only see customs listed with PVD or electroplated brass, so I assumed it was a standard of sorts.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 00:09:52 »
Hey guys,

That makes sense. I usually only see customs listed with PVD or electroplated brass, so I assumed it was a standard of sorts.

most brass plates in kits are either polished or sandblasted

Offline Deefenestrate

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 09:07:48 »
Brass does tarnish.  See old doorknobs.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 12:25:13 »
As someone who deals with metal alot,  Tarnish is a reminder that the object is living.. Though man and Machine are disconnected by space, we are connected by Time.

We are ONE,  Resistance is Futile.

Offline Harms

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 14:32:10 »
Brass does tarnish.  See old doorknobs.

Derp

Now I'm scared my expensive customs with brass will just become garbage overtime... :/

Offline Polymer

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 15:18:15 »
HuH?  The patina that you will get on brass actually gives it a unique look and a lot of people like the look better and will actually find ways to add patina quicker than the years it'll take normally.

Otherwise get aluminum..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 16:41:16 »

Now I'm scared my expensive customs with brass will just become garbage overtime... :/

coat the brass in vaseline, then wrap it in a plastic bag, then together with a dry pack wrap all together in aluminum foil Then again coat with vaseline...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 16:42:47 »
HuH?  The patina that you will get on brass actually gives it a unique look and a lot of people like the look better and will actually find ways to add patina quicker than the years it'll take normally.

Otherwise get aluminum..

It depends,  since it's a brass insert, I don't recommend anyone try to add patina on purpose, because it could easily -No longer FIT- inside the slot if the patina becomes too thick.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 18:40:10 »

Offline Polymer

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 01:01:55 »

Otherwise get aluminum..

It depends,  since it's a brass insert, I don't recommend anyone try to add patina on purpose, because it could easily -No longer FIT- inside the slot if the patina becomes too thick.

Yeah, I'm not advocating trying to do this but I'm saying some people actually do like the look enough to try to add it before it happens over time...

Patina doesn't make it look bad or ruin it IMO...but if you're one of those people that don't like that look, don't get brass..