Author Topic: The most quiet tactile switch?  (Read 12540 times)

Offline Row009

The most quiet tactile switch?
« on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 16:04:33 »
Hello,

I do research at a university facility that requires quiet. I use a laptop with a scissor switch keyboard (obviously).
I was wondering if there is a tactile switch that can be comparable sound wise?
Iv'e used a few types of switches in various keyboards (mostly Cherry and Cherry Compatible - haven't had the chance yet to sample the many non-Cherry types), and I currently use Cherry Blue at home (Which, although dampened by O-rings, produces quiet a lot of sound).

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
Re: The most quiet tactile switch?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 16:09:57 »
Matias Quiet Click are really quiet, and nicely tactile. I really enjoy them. Used them for several months at work and my board was significantly quieter than most of the other keyboards.

I think if you put Zealencios on anything, they get a lot quieter. I used Ergo Clears with them as well, and they’re great if you need to be quiet.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 16:14:31 »
Hello,

I do research at a university facility that requires quiet. I use a laptop with a scissor switch keyboard (obviously).
I was wondering if there is a tactile switch that can be comparable sound wise?
Iv'e used a few types of switches in various keyboards (mostly Cherry and Cherry Compatible - haven't had the chance yet to sample the many non-Cherry types), and I currently use Cherry Blue at home (Which, although dampened by O-rings, produces quiet a lot of sound).
Zilents. The tactile switches sold by zeal PC

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline Colourr

• no worries
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 16:48:47 »
I'm a huge fan of Zilents!

Offline zslane

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 16:49:19 »
Go with the gold standard in tactile switches: Topre. If you want really quiet, either look for one that is factory silenced, or install silencing rings yourself (it is tedious, but worth it).

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 17:21:44 »
Perceived tactility is a combination of Sound and Touch..

If you remove the Sound, the Touch alone will feel just like Friction.

It's the combination of Sound and Friction which produces that Twig-snapping/ Bubble popping experience.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 17:54:03 »
I would also recommend Zilents.  They are seriously quiet.

Also tp4 is crazy.  Sure the entire keyboard experience involves sound too, but to claim that tactility depends on sound is contrary to what those worlds mean.  That's like saying that appearance depends on smell.

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 17:56:50 »
I find my cherry clears pretty quiet as they are easier to not bottom out. As long as I'm not pounding the spacebar and backspace it's a nice quiet switch on my leopold 750r!

Offline Row009

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 18:26:01 »
Thanks everyone. I'll certainly look further into your recommendations.

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 18:27:06 »
Pretty sure KBDFans just made a silent tactile switch... Same as the new Cherry linears with the bumpers on the stem.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline bitzie

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 13:23:07 »
Pretty sure KBDFans just made a silent tactile switch... Same as the new Cherry linears with the bumpers on the stem.

Aliaz switches. They are ok, about as tactile as Cherry MX Browns.

Zilents are the way to go.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 21:56:32 »
I would also recommend Zilents.  They are seriously quiet.

Also tp4 is crazy.  Sure the entire keyboard experience involves sound too, but to claim that tactility depends on sound is contrary to what those worlds mean.  That's like saying that appearance depends on smell.

He did specify "perceived" tactility.  I will agree with his statement that sound is part of the tactile experience.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline glack23

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 05 June 2018, 00:27:00 »
zilents. Using that at work

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline zap2oz

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:47:50 »
Echoing what some of the other people here have said and saying Zealios. They're great!

Offline godlikekitten

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 23:06:20 »
Wanna vouch for lubed zilents.  Like soft rain drops my dude

Offline mangoes

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 23:25:38 »
Aren't zilents generally agreed upon to be the quietest? Regular zealios are loud as hell in comparison, and even my hhkb type s sounds loud in comparison

Although that might need I need to lube it again or something...

Offline johngodsmith

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 04:43:38 »
Think everyone covered it already. Other than zilents and aliaz
there's also gateron silent browns

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 10:21:33 »
The Aliaz is just a tiny upgrade on the Gateron Silent Browns. Both were made by Gateron.
However, they are still browns and therefore not very tactile.

Zeal PC's "Zilents" switches feel more like Cherry MX Clear, but smoother. Also made by Gateron. Really expensive though.

However, these three are more silent than any other MX-compatible switches with any kind of mods to make them more silent.
Then you should also consider which keyboard you put them into. Even some very silent switches would be noisy in the wrong keyboard.
🍉

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 17:30:38 »
Go with the gold standard in tactile switches: Topre. If you want really quiet, either look for one that is factory silenced, or install silencing rings yourself (it is tedious, but worth it).

^  This, but I would highly recommend buying the factory silent version instead of doing it yourself.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline hilltopchill

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 20:41:58 »
Zilents or silenced topre would be your best bet.