Author Topic: Kailh BOX Switches Crack and Stress Keycap Stems  (Read 25905 times)

Offline reavertm

Re: Kailh BOX Switches Crack and Stress Keycap Stems
« Reply #400 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 15:35:58 »
In my case (recently received new retooled Hako Violets) - there are no stress marks when I'm trying my old https://deskthority.net/wiki/NTC_KB-6251 keycaps on those Box switches.

No stress marks, all keycaps right away audibly crack on first insertion.
I notified KBDfans about the problem, they said they will take it to Kailh.. (again..).

Those stupid ****ing nubs need to go.

Manually removing them with file - while works - is hell of time consuming, considering I have 104 keyboard..
PCB mounting is fine, they fit well in GMMK hot-swap sockets at least.

For sure I'm not going to bother with Kailh Box anytime again until they are confirmed to go around 1.26+/-0.2mm.

'Loose' switch (which can be secured with plastic foil if needed) is always better than switch that breaks keycaps.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 October 2018, 15:41:49 by reavertm »

Offline portbaron

« Reply #401 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 15:56:36 »
In my case (recently received new retooled Hako Violets) - there are no stress marks when I'm trying my old https://deskthority.net/wiki/NTC_KB-6251 keycaps on those Box switches.

No stress marks, all keycaps right away audibly crack on first insertion.
I notified KBDfans about the problem, they said they will take it to Kailh.. (again..).

Those stupid ****ing nubs need to go.

Manually removing them with file - while works - is hell of time consuming, considering I have 104 keyboard..
PCB mounting is fine, they fit well in GMMK hot-swap sockets at least.

For sure I'm not going to bother with Kailh Box anytime again until they are confirmed to go around 1.26+/-0.2mm.

'Loose' switch (which can be secured with plastic foil if needed) is always better than switch that breaks keycaps.
Ya filing works but it's miserable. There is no question they stress them, I just want to know how far it will go over time. I wonder what the purpose behind the nubs was to begin with.
    | LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #402 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 07:06:25 »
I was going to check on this thread, and see whether we can get our old Navy's replaced (everyone talks about new, no one talks about replacements, which is a bit weird too)

But I see now that new ones suck too

So a TL;DR: We file both X/Y axises now?
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline killyou

« Reply #403 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 10:03:31 »
When I've mentioned the matter of faulty switches replacement somewhere over geekhack and reddit I got ****ted over by "satisfied" customers that I should be glad that they acknowledge the problem and that's it. I got downvoted to the oblivion and that is weird especially that people had expensive keysets broken because of that. This thread constantly reaffirms my policy to stick with ZealPC. (this post was typed on freshly installed Tealios).
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 October 2018, 10:05:02 by killyou »

Offline Starius

« Reply #404 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 10:29:34 »
When I've mentioned the matter of faulty switches replacement somewhere over geekhack and reddit I got ****ted over by "satisfied" customers that I should be glad that they acknowledge the problem and that's it. I got downvoted to the oblivion and that is weird especially that people had expensive keysets broken because of that. This thread constantly reaffirms my policy to stick with ZealPC. (this post was typed on freshly installed Tealios).

That is very disheartening to hear about your experience there on Reddit.  I don't use it much myself, but my understanding was the upvote/downvote system was a pretty good method for making relevant information and concerns accessible.   One wouldn't assume there would be zealotry type factions abusing that system for keyboard switch discussions, but I guess we now live in a world where every single topic is polarizing. 

In my mind, the only reason this discussion about the Box stem issue is so big is because of the fact that those box switches are damn good switches!  They feel great!  If they didn't, this flaw would barely be worth discussing and people would move on and not bother with them anymore.  But the fact they feel so good to use but have this one terrible flaw leaves us general users at a bit of a impasse.
Something has to change though. 

As for myself personally, I have come to the conclusion that I just cant use any of my box switch stock.  And won't be getting anymore until this keycap stress/cracking issue is solved once and for all.  Should that day ever come, I'll be happy to get more. 
By the way, I've been using Tealios on my Tokyo60 since I got it. They are quite nice, aren't they?

Offline TunnaTown

« Reply #405 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 10:52:23 »
That is very disheartening to hear about your experience there on Reddit.  I don't use it much myself, but my understanding was the upvote/downvote system was a pretty good method for making relevant information and concerns accessible.   One wouldn't assume there would be zealotry type factions abusing that system for keyboard switch discussions, but I guess we now live in a world where every single topic is polarizing. 

It is. Some people just can't be excellent to others.

In my mind, the only reason this discussion about the Box stem issue is so big is because of the fact that those box switches are damn good switches!  They feel great!  If they didn't, this flaw would barely be worth discussing and people would move on and not bother with them anymore.  But the fact they feel so good to use but have this one terrible flaw leaves us general users at a bit of a impasse.
Something has to change though. 

You hit the nail right on its head. The BOX switches were game changers. They were/are loved for their feels and rightfully so. It's just those pesky nubs....

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #406 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 12:10:24 »
As for myself personally, I have come to the conclusion that I just cant use any of my box switch stock.  And won't be getting anymore until this keycap stress/cracking issue is solved once and for all.  Should that day ever come, I'll be happy to get more. 
It's a hard truth to learn but this is my feeling as well.  Still have a couple boards left to un-box but damned if I'm going to ruin more than one expensive keyset.
I love box navies so much though that I'm just going to keep that board and use stock filco caps which I have several bags of by now.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Truthful writing and politeness do not mix well.
« Reply #407 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 11:49:39 »
I lost interest on this. Do not want to know anything about this ****.