Author Topic: Should I try Blue switches?  (Read 1624 times)

Offline ala

Should I try Blue switches?
« on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 14:15:48 »
Hello, I would appreciate your opinion on the topic provided my background if you have enough experience with all the stuff.

I started with Gatheron Brown. I would describe them as good for slow typing (up to 50 wpm) but feeling dirty with higher speeds. I swapped them with Cherry Red and I was immediately satisfied for the change. I thought about Blues but I was using the keyboard at work, in the office. Later I modded the Chery Red keys with 35g springs which was awesome too but from time to time I experienced errors - double shoot, so I reverted the mod in the end. Few months later I have heard about Cherry Silent Reds so I bought another keyboard with them for office use. It feels quite good, definitely better than any rubber-based keyboard, and is really silent. No one complains in the office. So I ended up having two keyboards, one for work and one for home use.

Somehow I started to wonder recently about checking the clicky Blue switches. I live alone, there's no one to complain about any noise I would make. I have spot a set of Gatheron Blue for $25 on a Chinese web where I ordered my Reds, that's cheap for me. However changing the keys takes at least a whole afternoon. Worst case I would need to do it twice! What do you think, if I didn't like the Browns would I like the Blues or not? Somehow I think that having a tactile feedback would be a great feeling provided that it really clicks, not just makes the movement a bit of non-linear.

Many thanks for your feedback!

Offline Findecanor

Re: Should I try Blue switches?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 16:29:59 »
Do try Cherry MX Blue (or like switches) with O-rings or QMX-clips before you try any other clicky Cherry MX-like switch. That way you will experience the click-feedback without too many other typing noises that are not feedback.
I like the Gateron Blue switches: a tiny bit more tactile and clicky than the other MX-compatible clicky switches, smooth and without clicking on the up-stroke (like Kailh BOX does).

Instead of desoldering an existing keyboard that you care about, have you considered buying a cheap keyboard with Gateron Blue switches from China? I think you could get some for less than $50, excluding shipping. Probably ANSI layout only though.
Other options include hot-swap keyboard (also ANSI only): no soldering required to change switches.
Or building your own: You could make it so that switches could be opened for swapping springs and/or sliders without soldering. Many PCBs for DIY keyboards these days come with everything but the switches soldered on, and the microcontroller already programmed with firmware.
🍉

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 17:02:34 »
I don’t know why you would prefer blues if you like linear reds better than the tactile browns, since the blues are tactile and clicky, not to mention requiring higher force. Personally, I like both reds and browns better than blues (o-ringed in all cases) because of the lighter touch and I don’t need the click.  (The boards I use most are either browns or variable-force Topre.)

But taste in keyboards is often a mysterious thing and very individual, so you won’t know until you try it.  If it were me, I’d look for an easier way to try out clicky switches than rebuilding a keyboard.
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 17:12:41 »
Sure, check ' em out.  My Outemu Blues haven't caused me any physical harm over the past year+.  :)
Chris Schammert

Offline ala

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 17:19:25 »
Do try Cherry MX Blue (or like switches) with O-rings or QMX-clips before you try any other clicky Cherry MX-like switch. That way you will experience the click-feedback without too many other typing noises that are not feedback.

I've just watched review of QMX-clips on YT, quite impressive. However as I've written, I don't mind the sound. That is the keyboard for home use.

I have Ergodox EZ. The one which I'm considering to mod again is the older one with keys soldered in. I have the new version with swappable keys equipped with Silent Reds for office use. Bummer, I don't know why I didn't thought about it earlier  :-[ I'll bring my office keyboard home to quickly swap the keys and test how they feel before I decide to mod the older model or not.

Offline ala

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 17:29:42 »
I don’t know why you would prefer blues if you like linear reds better than the tactile browns, since the blues are tactile and clicky, not to mention requiring higher force. Personally, I like both reds and browns better than blues (o-ringed in all cases) because of the lighter touch and I don’t need the click.  (The boards I use most are either browns or variable-force Topre.)

But taste in keyboards is often a mysterious thing and very individual, so you won’t know until you try it.  If it were me, I’d look for an easier way to try out clicky switches than rebuilding a keyboard.

I guess that the tactile bump may be more pronounced in te Blues which may let you feel when the key activate so you don't need to press the key completely to the bottom. With the Browns the bump is just hardly noticeable and with higher typing speed it somewhat feels only like the key doesn't move smooth. I have no idea whether the tactile bump of the Blues is useful for fast typing or not. I type about 90 wpm.

Many thanks for your hint. Luckily I solved my problem. I just forgot that my second keyboard, which I keep in the office, has swappable keys.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 17:39:40 »
I haven't noticed a slow down from my usual 70-80wpm.  Hope you enjoy.
Chris Schammert

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 17:58:21 »
I've just watched review of QMX-clips on YT, quite impressive. However as I've written, I don't mind the sound. That is the keyboard for home use.
I understand, but remember that with the clicky switches, the click is intentional to help you type more accurately. The click is not a side-effect, whereas every other noise the key makes is an incidental side-effect.
I recommend O-rings because they help isolate the desired noise, and because I have used clicky switches with O-rings myself for a couple of years. (Although nowadays I use another switch almost completely ...)
🍉

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 21:38:08 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 February 2019, 10:04:58 by iamtootallforthis »