Author Topic: How do topres feel? Where can I get the 30 g switch?  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
How do topres feel? Where can I get the 30 g switch?
« on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 16:48:36 »
30 g seems pretty light and is even lighter than my cherry mx reds, and the gateron clear switches that i’ve heard off. I’m looking for a space saving option on my desk so that way I can do work, and i’ve think I have found the right choice for me.
Since i’m used to (too much) rubber dome typing, I want something that feels soft on my fingers.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: How do topres feel? Where can I get the 30 g switch?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 19:53:52 »
Topres feel great!

Massdrop has drops occasionally for a 30g Topre keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 21:29:08 »
Uhhhh 30g is actually lighter than standard rubberdome, also it's more linear than tactile.

For Topre 55g is most tactile, 45g is decently tactile, 30g is pretty much linear.  In my opinion if you want something light and feels good then 45g is a good balance.

30g will be a little bit harder to find though.  However if you go with 45g you can go with either 87U or FC660C.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 23:52:46 »
You can always try Plum boards. They're best topre clones and they have 35g switches. They're really light but very nice to type on.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 14:29:57 »
Ok, i will consider that an option.
According to wikipedia they have a layout that says
PLUM
READON this
and all the rest of the letters are jumbled.
Here's an article about that:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLUM_keyboard

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 14:46:47 »
PLUM
READON this
Lol are you a bot??

Seriously though not that plum, this one

https://www.nizkeyboard.com/product/plum-8487108-keys-35g-electro-capacitive-keyboard-non-rgb-backlighting/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 20:12:44 »
I'd recommend a Realforce variable weight board -- 45g in the middle, 30g out in the pinky area.  I have a couple of those, and love them.  I also have a 30g Plum NIZ board which I don't use much because I think it's too light -- my error level goes up on that board.  But it is programmable, which is a nice feature.
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline intothesorrow

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 07:19:08 »
I bought my 30g from Japan via a proxy company (which purchases items in Japan and then sends them to your location for some fee). But I’m not sure whether returns are possible in this case.

If you like linear switches you’ll probably like this one. I didn’t. It really feels like a linear most of the keypress, extremely soft and somewhat oily. As for typos - I didn’t have any problems with this board (but I did have severe problems with Gateron Red in this aspect).

Yes, Plum can be a good alternative (I have one and I like it more than 30g Topre). It is way less smooth than Topre and doesn’t feel that oily and linear. In Plum you make a keypress and after a veeeeery small initial bump it just follows under your finger (it doesn’t collapse or make any resistence). But it is too slow on the return which is the main drawback for me. In Topre I even don’t feel the initial bump (but there must be definitely some since I don’t make as much typos as on light linears), the dome doesn’t feel to be collapcing but it feels like it makes some smooth resistance to your finger (and resembles linears in this aspect).

The travel distance of Topre seems to be larger (4 mm vs 3.6 mm, I suppose), and its 30g domes seem to be stiffer, than 35g Plum domes (I tried to measure Plum resistence and my inaccurate experiments showed that it was even less than 30g, something like 28g). And 30g Topre isn’t as slow on the return as Plum.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 11:10:49 »
Topre feels EXACTLY like a rubber dome keyboard.

Because it IS a rubber dome keyboard. < This is not a GOOD/BAD statement, it's a Description >

It will feel familiar, and similar to all the keyboard you've probably had growing up.

The improvement over more budget keyboards is the 2mm actuation distance, and the Slider is smoother.

That's it,  There's no magic, keep expectations IN LINE.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 11:56:10 »
Uhhhh 30g is actually lighter than standard rubberdome, also it's more linear than tactile.

For Topre 55g is most tactile, 45g is decently tactile, 30g is pretty much linear.  In my opinion if you want something light and feels good then 45g is a good balance.

30g will be a little bit harder to find though.  However if you go with 45g you can go with either 87U or FC660C.
Linear? I love Linear!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 19:47:52 »
Topre feels EXACTLY like a rubber dome keyboard.

Because it IS a rubber dome keyboard. < This is not a GOOD/BAD statement, it's a Description >

It will feel familiar, and similar to all the keyboard you've probably had growing up.

The improvement over more budget keyboards is the 2mm actuation distance, and the Slider is smoother.

That's it,  There's no magic, keep expectations IN LINE.

Topre is The Ultimate Rubber Dome keyboard.

Unfortunately the acronym is TURD, but we'll all pretend we hadn't noticed that.

I like my 55g RealForce and my 45g HHKB.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 10:09:40 »
PLUM
READON this
Lol are you a bot??
 :rolleyes:
Seriously though not that plum, this one

https://www.nizkeyboard.com/product/plum-8487108-keys-35g-electro-capacitive-keyboard-non-rgb-backlighting/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk