Author Topic: Logitech releases the G910 Orion Spark RGB Romer-G Mechanical Keyboard  (Read 12440 times)

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
Re: Logitech releases the G910 Orion Spark RGB Romer-G Mechanical Keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 10:48:10 »
I'm curious about the switch type, too, but not enough to buy one of these. They're expensive, ugly and once again, they've let their marketing department have too much drugs free reign and they've gone nuts. "It's better because it's been tested for 70 million keypresses!"... whereas Cherry MX are rated for over 50 million. Which means there is no marked change in actuation point or operation for 50 million presses. No mention of how many presses these are actually rated for.

I don't really care about the LED thing since the best keycaps are not "backlit-compatible" anyway, not to mention they're only available with MX stems.

If the switch itself is good, we may start to see Omron selling them to other OEMs. If that happens, they may become popular enough for SP to invest in new cap stem molds. Then you could replace the caps, but until then you're stuck with those butt-ugly thin ABS things that Logitech made.

I could just make my own caps ;)

Also, I don't think the keycaps are entirely a gimmick. Anyone who has misfired after edging another key can attest to this. I think that this is severely overdone, but it's not a bad thought entirely.

most of the comments on this thread seem to be forgetting the point that this is marketed solely towards gamers. They couldn't give a flying penguin if geekhackers don't like the design because we're not the ones that care about LEDs more than the switches. We're not the ones that buy a keyboard specifically for gaming (those 2 examples don't uniformly apply to us but may apply to specific members). We're the ones that buy aftermarket keysets that cost as much as these RGB keyboards. We're the ones buying clacks that sell on the market for more than most keyboards.

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 15:27:18 »
It looks hideous. I think that it will end up being a piece of trash, but the switches might be nice.

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 17:11:26 »
most of the comments on this thread seem to be forgetting the point that this is marketed solely towards idiots.
FTFY

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 17:56:06 »
most of the comments on this thread seem to be forgetting the point that this is marketed solely towards idiots.
FTFY
Like Razer is too? All people know is Razer and Corsair, at school that's all they talk about and then I mention Ducky or Filco and their faces go blank.

Caps look pretty cool, don't seem to provide much function. To me it seems that you would type a lot slower than a cherry profile set at first.

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 18:02:55 »
That keyboard looks like it was designed for 12 year olds. Yuck.
News flash.. 
Video games are for children
People buying mechanical keyboards are predominantly CHILDREN..
If you play video games, you've not grown up...   
Therefore, your aversion to said-kid-product is a contradiction to your own self.
I'm not saying you need to grow up, or that video game is bad, or that I'm any better..

Do no misunderstand...   I am merely explaining that your angst is misplaced and hypocritical.

I know better than to feed the tp troll, but I'll go ahead and throw you a biscuit. What exactly does a "grown up" do then? Read archaic literature, go to plays, and swill brandy? Video games are for everyone and it doesn't mean you've not "grown up" if you play them. You are implying that the activity of playing video games is for immature people. You are wrong, that is all there is to it. :)

Yes video games are for immature people... I do not claim to be "mature"..

Video game to Children can be a learning experience..

Video games to Adults, who have mastered most gaming concepts, are a mere diversion from OTHER things they could be doing...    Things with higher potential payoff..

These are not absolute terms, no,   but the majority of us PLAY video games knowing they have nothing much left to teach us...  and for the sole purpose of simulating-Progress and an evanescent sense of achievement..

I am right.. and it is you who are both shortsighted and in denial of the choices you make..

wow are all 7k of those ergodox elitism or posts like that
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 September 2014, 18:05:31 by Roibhilin »

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK

Offline HighhBrid

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 21:34:11 »

this is so stupid.

hey lets put people we are paying to say how great our product is.

totally not bias, at all.

I'm not big into League, but I know that Dyrus is one of the most respected players of the game. I think it's hilarious that everyone was going on about it, but all they could get out of him was a sound bite lol...

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 22:13:53 »
Don't waste your time making caps for this... monstrosity.

The caps are for the switches, which may actually be good. New can be cool.
c h e r

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 22:32:55 »
I'm curious about the switch type, too, but not enough to buy one of these. They're expensive, ugly and once again, they've let their marketing department have too much drugs free reign and they've gone nuts. "It's better because it's been tested for 70 million keypresses!"... whereas Cherry MX are rated for over 50 million. Which means there is no marked change in actuation point or operation for 50 million presses. No mention of how many presses these are actually rated for.

I don't really care about the LED thing since the best keycaps are not "backlit-compatible" anyway, not to mention they're only available with MX stems.

If the switch itself is good, we may start to see Omron selling them to other OEMs. If that happens, they may become popular enough for SP to invest in new cap stem molds. Then you could replace the caps, but until then you're stuck with those butt-ugly thin ABS things that Logitech made.

I could just make my own caps ;)

Also, I don't think the keycaps are entirely a gimmick. Anyone who has misfired after edging another key can attest to this. I think that this is severely overdone, but it's not a bad thought entirely.

most of the comments on this thread seem to be forgetting the point that this is marketed solely towards gamers. They couldn't give a flying penguin if geekhackers don't like the design because we're not the ones that care about LEDs more than the switches. We're not the ones that buy a keyboard specifically for gaming (those 2 examples don't uniformly apply to us but may apply to specific members). We're the ones that buy aftermarket keysets that cost as much as these RGB keyboards. We're the ones buying clacks that sell on the market for more than most keyboards.

I'm not sure if you're quoting me on purpose, but I care about keycaps as much as I care about switches; I find using a keyboard to be pretty crappy if either of those aren't top-notch these days. There are plenty of gamers on this site, myself included. While most of the **** that's on these boards is completely overdone (or even completely useless), it doesn't mean there isn't something salvageable in it.
c h e r

Offline exit

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 00:37:18 »
FTFY

If you want to know what is marketed towards idiots look at the MadCatz STRIKE 7 or even the razer ****widow Chroma. Don't bash good products.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 03:03:02 »
FTFY

If you want to know what is marketed towards idiots look at the MadCatz STRIKE 7 or even the razer ****widow Chroma. Don't bash good products.
Same marketing crap...

"shiny! colors! shiny!" whatever
"the 0.5mm difference in actuation will make you a better gamer!" yeah, true story bro
"70M cycles switch life for superb durability" who cares, if the PCB sucks?
"macro keys for an ultimate gaming experience" what they don't tell you is that macros are banned from a lot of competitive gaming and the software was designed by someone, who'd never heard of accessibility

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 05:04:01 »
News flash.. 
Therefore, your aversion to said-kid-product is a contradiction to your own self.
I'm not saying you need to grow up, or that video game is bad, or that I'm any better..

Do no misunderstand...   I am merely explaining that your angst is misplaced and hypocritical.

I know better than to feed the tp troll, but I'll go ahead and throw you a biscuit. What exactly does a "grown up" do then? Read archaic literature, go to plays, and swill brandy? Video games are for everyone and it doesn't mean you've not "grown up" if you play them. You are implying that the activity of playing video games is for immature people. You are wrong, that is all there is to it. :)

Video games to Adults, who have mastered most gaming concepts, are a mere diversion from OTHER things they could be doing...    Things with higher potential payoff..

These are not absolute terms, no,   but the majority of us PLAY video games knowing they have nothing much left to teach us...  and for the sole purpose of simulating-Progress and an evanescent sense of achievement..

I am right.. and it is you who are both shortsighted and in denial of the choices you make..
Show Image

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 06:22:54 »
Going to test the switches ASAP...

but I will definitely be wearing a blind-fold when I do so.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline STR8_AN94BALLER

G910 orion spark with romer-G (logitech)
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 13:17:47 »
http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/rgb-gaming-keyboard-g910

Discuss.

Personally I would like a pure 80% version with the five macro keys still included in the left side. But hey...

Edit: Omron mechanical switches. Not the mainstream Kailh RGB. Nice gesture from Logitech to use a different solution compared to most companies nowadays (other than A4Tech B640)
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 September 2014, 13:22:02 by STR8_AN94BALLER »
Rig | 5820K - 16G 2400 - AMP GTX1080 - 850EVO 1TB - EVGA 750G2 - W7U
P870DM3 GTX1080 SLi - Pending

Offline MasterBash

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 14:39:07 »
So the keyboard is finally in-stock. Anyone ordered one? There is a review here : http://www.tomsguide.com/us/logitech-g910-orion-spark,review-2436.html but it doesnt say that much about it.

However, I am a bit confused about the spec at the bottom of the page :

Spectations: 60 g
Key Travel: 3.14 mm bottom out, 1.92 mm actuation
In-Key rollover: >10 keys
Size: 19.9 x 8.3 x 1.4 inches
Weight: 3.3 pounds

Hope thats a mistake, wasnt it supposed to be 1.5mm actuation and 45g?
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 October 2014, 14:41:08 by MasterBash »

Offline pbtforever

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 October 2014, 16:50:40 by pbtforever »

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 18:38:34 »
did logitech ever rationalize the awful angled keycaps

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 20:18:05 »
I got to beta test one of these and
Its definitely tactile 45g.

The angled keycaps are basically designed to be anti slip aka gamer wamer stuff.

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 October 2014, 20:21:25 by the1onewolf »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 05:48:36 »
News flash.. 

Show Image

Show Image

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/average-age-of-us-gamers-now-30/1100-6380546/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/8564342/Average-video-gamer-is-37.html

Maturity has nothing to do with gaming. Separate thing entirely. IRL you can be Mr. super straight down-the-line full of responsibility and stiffness and then buy a game and let rip. It's not about maturity, but about what you get from a game. Different people have different reasons for gaming.

Most gamers use their PC's for "serious" tasks, too and I suspect many of them don't want a bunch of flashy lights and gimmicks giving them a headache while working in Excel, but will accept that if it gives them an edge in their favourite game... Which it doesn't, but the marketing people play on their hope that it might.

Still find the switches interesting and would like to try them out, but I'm not buying this monstrosity just to do that.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 08:03:04 »
Anyone have any opinions on the ~$179.99 price tag?

I am not about to use this keyboard, not even if they paid my $179.99 to do so. It looks like a joke and any grown up man using it in his office would be treated as a joke. I've used many a keyboard in my office, including a Model F XT and a backlit Deck (which at least looks black and unfashionable) but seriously, I can't use this. It is too embarrassing.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 12:35:43 »
So the switches feel like browns?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 06:56:26 »
Video review on HardwareCanucks

Offline JDorfler

• My Blog
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 11:33:03 »
Logitech does make good stuff.  As long as you are a Windows user, you'll be okay.  I wouldn't buy it, or most any other Logitech product, due to their lack of Linux support.  However, with that said, I'm not judging anything I can't get a hold of.  I still sport a Logitech G-13 for FPS in Windows.  I'm trying to reteach myself to play with an actual keyboard in Linux.  So far it's going well, but some games I just need the G-13.