Author Topic: Why getting PS4  (Read 7472 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Why getting PS4
« on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 21:58:22 »
PS4 Harddrive swappable to SSD

I have so many spare SSD's it's funny  2x 120gb 830s that I impulse bought on sale, and 2x 256gb m4 that I bought on impulse, also on sale.

:D

Xbox one can go Suck a D.....

Even if they enable usb3.0 external eventually that has a high CPU overhead and you'll probably have to buy some microsoft approved enclosure to install games on.

Offline ynrozturk

Re: Why getting PS4
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 00:02:41 »
I'll be getting it because of the exclusive titles. I couldn't really live without Killzone.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 00:07:11 »
I haven't seen any exclusives that really grab me by the boo-boo yet, and anything else will be better on the PC anyway(looking at you Watchdogs.)
I'll probably reconsider when The Last Guardian is released.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 02:27:45 »
God of War and Killzone will be enough for me.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline AndyCapets

• I have a French ANSI keyboard, kiss me now.
    • YouTube!
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 05:04:33 »
I want it for the exclusives. But other than that, it's just a console, not really interested in that, only the games.
I don't I like broccoli.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 08:31:30 »
I haven't seen any exclusives that really grab me by the boo-boo yet, and anything else will be better on the PC anyway(looking at you Watchdogs.)
Not even BF4?
The Last Guardian?
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 09:05:54 »
Can't wait for Battlefield 4.. I think I have like 720 hours in Battlefield 3 and close to a thousand in BFBC2. And 64 players this time around, woot!

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 09:09:50 »
PC the master race.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 10:04:49 »
I used to think that too but.. no. After being a PC gamer for over 10+ years, I got sick and tired of constantly upgrading stuff. Install drivers, install that, more RAM, new board... meeeeh. By the time you finish doing all that crap you don't even want to play anymore.

And after working all day, the last thing I want to do is crouch over my desk at home playing a game. I'd rather be on my leather sofa with my feet up just relaxing with a Dualshock 3.

Offline audukent

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 10:12:17 »
PC ftw, but I will eventually get the PS4. 
[LZ-GH - 62g mx greens and 62g mx clears]    [Ducky Shine - mx browns]    [RACE mxMini - mxreds]  [POKER II - mx Blacks]    [KPAD - 62g mx blacks]

Offline Lanx

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 11:28:23 »
the only 3 microsoft exclusives are halo/gow/forza?

and all the ****ty kinect games (i can call em ****ty cuz i played them all, from generation 1)

so why would anyone buy a xbox1 vs ps4?

friends? have everyone switch over, ha.

didn't they fire steve balmer this week or something too? for hardware issues?

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 11:29:13 »
Potential use with the oculus rift.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline audukent

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 11:44:26 »
the only 3 microsoft exclusives are halo/gow/forza?

and all the ****ty kinect games (i can call em ****ty cuz i played them all, from generation 1)

so why would anyone buy a xbox1 vs ps4?

friends? have everyone switch over, ha.

didn't they fire steve balmer this week or something too? for hardware issues?

haha, It's definitely not just hardware issues, but their lack of competitiveness within the several markets Microsoft has it's hands in.  I would say their release of the Surface, sales are awful and not going as well as they had hoped, will end up being one of the company's biggest failures in it's history. The price just dropped to $799 I believe?

Money is everything my friend.  Check out this article below, it gives a brief overview of what some of the basic underlying issues are/were with Microsoft during his 'rein'.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324165204579030611858818656.html

« Last Edit: Tue, 03 September 2013, 11:46:20 by audukent »
[LZ-GH - 62g mx greens and 62g mx clears]    [Ducky Shine - mx browns]    [RACE mxMini - mxreds]  [POKER II - mx Blacks]    [KPAD - 62g mx blacks]

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:01:32 »
I still think the Surface could have been successful if it weren't so freaking expensive. I mean, why pay $700 when you can buy a Nexus 7 for $250? You couldn't even install software properly on the RT. What a disaster.

Offline audukent

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:06:01 »
Yeah, they did not do a great job of presenting the value of the Surface during initial release/throughout their marketing campaign.  They had to convince people that $800 is a STEAL for their product and showcase where that value comes from.  Apple, Steve Job's specifically, was great at this.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:08:46 »
I think you guys are missing the point..

Windows 8 + Haswell + custom tuned hardware = Surface Pro 2

This will dominate anything android// ios..

Real windows, real pirated software, real photoshop, real autocad, real maya, REAL freaking games, NO MORE VIDEO CONVERSION, MPC-HC, MADVR for anime, OMG...

all this and it will probably have 10hrs of battery life, since microsoft will have close hardware access in this thing to optimize power use.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:11:26 »
And it will probably cost more than $1200, way more than most people are willing to pay for a "tablet"

Offline audukent

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:19:27 »
I think you guys are missing the point..

Windows 8 + Haswell + custom tuned hardware = Surface Pro 2

This will dominate anything android// ios..

Real windows, real pirated software, real photoshop, real autocad, real maya, REAL freaking games, NO MORE VIDEO CONVERSION, MPC-HC, MADVR for anime, OMG...

all this and it will probably have 10hrs of battery life, since microsoft will have close hardware access in this thing to optimize power use.

No, I completely understand your point.  You are saying with the combination of these things (Windows 8 + Haswell + custom tuned hardware = Surface Pro 2), you would have access and the ability to do many of the things that a tablet simply can't, that a laptop could.  Yes, the Surface is a great bridge between the tablet and laptop user, but does everyone know this? I think you might be missing my point.

The case I'm bringing up is 'Lack of competitiveness' in their markets due to inability to showcase value in their marketing campaign/initial launch. You and I may understand the capabilities of the Surface, but the common man does not and if he doesn't under stand this, he certainly doesn't understand the value given.  Hard to justify their pricing when you assume your just getting a Microsoft Ipad ;)

« Last Edit: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:21:26 by audukent »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:28:50 »
And it will probably cost more than $1200, way more than most people are willing to pay for a "tablet"

what I wouldn't give to run real photoshop, and not have to convert my damn videos.....

DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES TO CONVERT VIDEOS?

You can have a dual Cpu Xeon, and it'd still take you about 40minutes.

The only thing holding surface pro back was the battery life... EVERYTHING ELSE about it was TOP NOTCH..

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:45:54 »
I understand you man. I'd like that kind of power in a tablet, too. But like Audukent said, the average guy won't have a clue.. nor will they care. They certainly won't pay a premium price for a device they simply don't understand.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:49:08 »
I was going the ps4 route because of how ms screwed up the Xbox one but now that I know the division is coming to pc I think I'll wait a couple of years.

But that one racing game where you travel across the US is tempting. I think it's called the crew or something.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:52:49 »
The Division was the only thing I was interested in too, but its
A. Coming out on PC
B. Not coming out until the end of 2014
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:53:20 »
I was going the ps4 route because of how ms screwed up the Xbox one but now that I know the division is coming to pc I think I'll wait a couple of years.

But that one racing game where you travel across the US is tempting. I think it's called the crew or something.

As for as exclusives go, Super robot wars is a big one for me. and idk maybe another real house of the dead or something.   

And I think you guys are underestimating the ability to swap out to an SSD....

that is HUGEEEEE.....

The new consoles will all have more installation features.. SSD will be blazing like the PC, while Harddrive will stutter.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:56:02 »

The Division was the only thing I was interested in too, but its
A. Coming out on PC
B. Not coming out until the end of 2014

Man the way time flies 2014 will be here before you know it.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Winther

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 15:08:57 »
Also almost would have considred getting a console (PS4 most likely) becuase of The Devision, but now that it comes out on PC too, I will not even look at either console. PC is just sooo far ahead, its not even funny! :P

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 17:44:33 »
Today I play in PC only a few massive titles (Eve and GW2).
IMHO, unfortunately, there is no good massive games (MMO, RPGMMO, whatever) for PS3.
90% in PS3 (Right now was playing the Last of US)
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 18:37:29 »
Not even BF4?
The Last Guardian?

I have no interest in Battle of Duty: ARMA of Defeat(I think that's all the same game...?) as long as they keep putting in minimal innovation to make money grabs every single year knowing people will buy them regardless. Boo I say! A pox on this business model!

I am keeping an eye on Gran Turismo 6/7 though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 September 2013, 18:39:43 by noisyturtle »

Offline fydo

• Meow!
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 18:38:45 »
Will the PS4 actually take advantage of an SSD though? You can put an SSD in a PS3 but the transfer speed is locked to IDE speeds. You only get a slight advantage in games that have lots of files (like Gran Turismo 5) due to the super fast seek times.
CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid | Ducky Shine II (White LED)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 19:03:58 »
Will the PS4 actually take advantage of an SSD though? You can put an SSD in a PS3 but the transfer speed is locked to IDE speeds. You only get a slight advantage in games that have lots of files (like Gran Turismo 5) due to the super fast seek times.

well, we don't know..

That's why I'm not buying it at launch...

They're not gonna sucker me into nothin....

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 20:18:16 »
I could derail this thread at will, but I won't.

Sick of all these proprietary consoles...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 22:04:20 »

LOLOLOL

It's not really that big a deal, gaming is a poor man's hobby..  In that respect, there's a threshold to how expensive everything could get...

But overall, it has been quite inexpensive...

This is assuming we're not counting the endless hours spent "wasted" collecting virtual achievements

If time was translated as a "cost"... gaming is astronomically expensive, especially considering you don't learn anything after the first year of gaming...

It all feels pretty derivative after the very first year....

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 22:08:18 »

but is that going to change anytime soon?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 23:30:18 »

nope

class struggle.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 23:39:25 »

Well, if you wanna wait 7-10 years for the next next gen. Is that soon enough?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 05:01:30 »
buying launch consoles is pretty dumb, ive done it in the past but wont be doing it this time, especially as the two new games i care about wont even be on next gen systems (GTA5 and GT6)... and the rest of the early next gen games that are worth caring about you can play on PC anyway

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 05:17:52 »
On PC I can play Skyrim with preposterous and outrageous mods where everything looks better than real life, and I can fight sexy huge titted mudcrabs in a grocery store with a mace made of baby faces on the back of a flying turtle in a pool of red jello. I like it here.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 05:18:10 »
Yeah I'll wait a bit until it's been properly tested. But at least the PS4 will have some decent games for it at launch, like Killzone and Battlefield. Remember the launch of the PS3? Basically had no good games for it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 06:20:24 »
On PC I can play Skyrim with preposterous and outrageous mods where everything looks better than real life, and I can fight sexy huge titted mudcrabs in a grocery store with a mace made of baby faces on the back of a flying turtle in a pool of red jello. I like it here.

Look better than real life?

While i wish it was the case that CGI has reached that level at home,  it is still VERY VERY far away...

This is why they have render farms....

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 07:25:39 »

Look better than real life?

While i wish it was the case that CGI has reached that level at home,  it is still VERY VERY far away...

This is why they have render farms....

Better. Yes.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 08:24:34 »
I hate to be that guy, but I'm not a fan of PS's anti-ergonomic controllers they've been using for years. If someone could come up with a way to use the new (or any for that matter) xbox controller with the ps4 then I might seriously consider picking one up.
Looking for CC's!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 08:33:15 »
I hate to be that guy, but I'm not a fan of PS's anti-ergonomic controllers they've been using for years. If someone could come up with a way to use the new (or any for that matter) xbox controller with the ps4 then I might seriously consider picking one up.

If you're willing to go third party, I'm sure you'd find one. I've seen PlayStation shaped controllers for Xbox and vice versa in a store somewhere.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 08:35:32 »
It's just a matter of what you're used to. To me, the Xbox controllers drive me crazy because it's not symmetrical and just feels awkward to me. Not to mention that it's freaking huge. The Dualshock 3 is a far superior controller in my opinion.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 08:41:30 »
many people who started on xbox are not holding the PS controller correctly.  they try to wrap their whole hand around it..

That's not how you're supposed to hold a ps controller.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 08:54:24 »
Right. And if you have one in a matte finish, then it doesn't slip, either. I've also got custom L2 and R2 triggers on mine which make it feel way better.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 11:06:57 »

Very easy, get an adapter of ebay when they are released (and they will be) probably 5$ but less than $10, they'll come out about a month after launch.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 11:42:14 »

Very easy, get an adapter of ebay when they are released (and they will be) probably 5$ but less than $10, they'll come out about a month after launch.

nope, can't do that.. latency

Offline mauri

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 11:44:38 »
many people who started on xbox are not holding the PS controller correctly.  they try to wrap their whole hand around it..

I usually hold it firmly inbetween my butt cheeks, figures right?
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 22:34:32 »

I actually started on the og PS, then moved to the Xbox when it came out and have had them all at one point. This new one is just kind of a let down.

But I hold it the right way, it's just that when I game on a console, I usually only play racing games and IMHO the triggers on the xb controller are far superior than the either on or off R buttons. If that makes sense.
Looking for CC's!

Offline fydo

• Meow!
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 22:50:59 »
Just an FYI, the R2 and L2 buttons on the PS3 controller are analogue. :)
CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid | Ducky Shine II (White LED)

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 00:34:50 »
And you can buy triggers for them, like I did with mine. These actually make a big, positive difference :