Author Topic: Modified Ergodox  (Read 3181 times)

Offline axlroach

• axlroach blog
Modified Ergodox
« on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 12:30:03 »
Hi all,

Here's some photos of an ergodox mod I just finished.  Greens for the thumb-cluster keys and browns for the rest.

I've posted some more photos and what-have-you at my blog here:  http://axlroach.com/post/104107299783/keyboard-mod

Just wanted to see what y'all think.

83599-0

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Re: Modified Ergodox
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 12:52:28 »
How does it feel? The convex curvature seems the complete opposite of some ergonomic designs such as the Kinesis Advantage or Maltron.  I imagine that it would increase the reach that fingers have to do for the keys on the edges.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline axlroach

• axlroach blog
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 13:48:19 »
How does it feel? The convex curvature seems the complete opposite of some ergonomic designs such as the Kinesis Advantage or Maltron.  I imagine that it would increase the reach that fingers have to do for the keys on the edges.

Today is my first day using it and I have to say it feels really good!  It's not as far of a reach to the thumb cluster keys as the regular ergodox, but to be sure it's still more of a stretch than I would like.  I've thought about building out one with the switch plates curved the other way (like a maltron or a kinesis) to see which I like better, but I've got a couple of other projects in the pipeline first.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 16:48:05 »
Did you mount the switches in a different platform and wire them from there to the PCB? It's a great idea.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline axlroach

• axlroach blog
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 17:09:13 »
Yep.  I got some aluminum switch plates from Falbatech.pl.  Then I shaped them by hand -- just bent them in the curvature that I wanted really.  Then I wired the switches from the plate to the PCB via some "extension" wires.  I was gonna hand-wire it, but I still wanted to be able to use the massdrop configurator to build the layers and I wasn't able to find a schematic detailing how the PCB wires the matrix to the teensy, or how the I/O expander fits into the picture.  That's why I decided to just lay the shaped switch plates onto the PCB.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 17:11:39 »
Very cool. Would love some more pictures with different angles, specially seeing through/under the "keys platform".
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline axlroach

• axlroach blog
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 18:24:01 »
Very cool. Would love some more pictures with different angles, specially seeing through/under the "keys platform".

There are a few more photos here:  http://www.axlroach.com/post/104107299783/keyboard-mod

Offline luisbg

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 18:50:17 »

There are a few more photos here:  http://www.axlroach.com/post/104107299783/keyboard-mod

Thanks! Mad props.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 07:01:08 »
That is a cool mod. Nice way of creating the curvature based on an existing PCB. The curvature seems to be less than ideal, I'm wondering how it feels for the ringfinger and the pinkies.

I like the original approach.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 07:36:15 »
Now that's what I call "thinking outside the Dox". Nice mod and welcome to the GH community

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 09:46:46 »
Now that's what I call "thinking outside the Dox". Nice mod and welcome to the GH community

Hahaha

Offline axlroach

• axlroach blog
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 11:54:55 »
That is a cool mod. Nice way of creating the curvature based on an existing PCB. The curvature seems to be less than ideal, I'm wondering how it feels for the ringfinger and the pinkies.

I like the original approach.

I use it tented, so that the thumb cluster buttons are level to the horizontal.  This way it's more like holding a ball.  I could see how if it were positioned flat on the desk as pictured, the curvature wouldn't work well.  I've just posted a couple of new pics to the blog showing how I have it set up at my workstation.

http://axlroach.com/post/104107299783/keyboard-mod

Offline hoggy

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 13:13:50 »
Having seen the heavy tenting, the convex shape makes a lot more sense.  Given the design with the metal plate, you might be able to reduce the bend if you find your little fingers having trouble after long term use.

Cool mod, BTW.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Data

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 08:56:49 »
That... is pretty cool.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 10:03:45 »
ok....  but much of the advantages of "that" contour could've been achieved by "tenting"...

I'll grant you that it certainly looks very cool..  as an aesthetics piece, it's wonderful..

but.. I don't see the advantage to convex itself, because the human hand does not have much of a convex shape when our fingers are spread as wide as they are..

If the buttons were much smaller and closer together, that would make sense..

but the spacing of the keys as they are, our palm is spread and virtually flat.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 17:21:09 »
Looks totally awesome. Doesn’t seem like a functional improvement to me personally. But hey, do whatever works for you!