Author Topic: Amazon testing air drone package delivery o.o  (Read 5763 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Re: Amazon testing air drone package delivery o.o
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 22:42:29 »
Or five.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 22:43:05 »
Saw this segment on 60 Minutes tonight. Thanks for the links!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 22:43:35 »
Also saw a related link about Domino's similar tests:
http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/04/technology/innovation/dominos-pizza-drone/index.html?iid=EL

Which prompts some questions about airspace regulations when a lot of companies decide to do this.  Imagine the amount of accidental air collisions with hot pizzas falling on someone's head  :))

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 22:45:22 »
Also saw a related link about Domino's similar tests:
http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/04/technology/innovation/dominos-pizza-drone/index.html?iid=EL

Which prompts some questions about airspace regulations when a lot of companies decide to do this.  Imagine the amount of accidental air collisions with hot pizzas falling on someone's head  :))

I wouldnt mind if random packages from Amazon and pizza start falling in my backyard :))

If I had a backyard, in the US. Anyway. ;D

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 22:51:31 »
If I only could accept change rather than be a Luddite, I would be excited for this.  But with each new technology, I always ask "Does this make life better and make us happier?"

But the implications of all many companies using drones for delivery would be interesting.  Another class of jobs would be eliminated.   Google automated cars will drive the trucks, drones will make the final leg.  At some point, I could see the only human jobs left are the programmers, designers, and engineers that make all these robots.  Next comes the singularity, and humans will no longer be necessary.  Hopefully, the robots will not mind me lnving a quiet life in my off grid tiny home.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 22:52:40 »
... and so the drone package thief occupation was created in year 2020 of our Lord  :cool:

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 22:58:24 »
If I only could accept change rather than be a Luddite, I would be excited for this.  But with each new technology, I always ask "Does this make life better and make us happier?"

But the implications of all many companies using drones for delivery would be interesting.  Another class of jobs would be eliminated.   Google automated cars will drive the trucks, drones will make the final leg.  At some point, I could see the only human jobs left are the programmers, designers, and engineers that make all these robots.  Next comes the singularity, and humans will no longer be necessary.  Hopefully, the robots will not mind me lnving a quiet life in my off grid tiny home.

See, that's not a bad thing.  We don't have to work all day in a field to have something to eat, cut wood to warm our house, etc.  If jobs shift in a more creative/intellectual direction--is that bad?  By that example, they already have, given that 100 years ago, the profession of a computer IT person would seem insanely superfluous and odd.  Or if we don't have to work as much in general to be provided for, if a lot of things are automated.  Clearly economy will need to adapt as well as the social order, but that's what gradual changes do anyway.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 23:15:19 »
Weed delivery by air drone you say?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 03:39:46 »
I wonder how many packages AND drones will "go missing", depending on how low they fly. People will have much less consciensce about taking something that's flying over their home than holding up a delivery driver.

About the whole "self-driving" car thing. I can see it working if ALL the cars are self-driving. Add just one human driver and you introduce a totally unpredictable factor, since you can't predict how the human will react in a given situation. Accidents are bound to happen. If they have their own roads, then no worries, but I don't trust mixing automated vehicles and human-controlled ones. And this is even assuming the control software and hardware is as good as human perception for things like black ice, pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcycles, etc.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline iri

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 09:43:50 »
...and i just read that hydrogen can be produced using termites as bioreactors.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 15:10:38 »
46579-0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 15:12:07 »
@Rowdy  :))
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 16:51:42 »
(Attachment Link)

Show Image

My Harddrives.....  noooooooooooooooo!!! 
Show Image

You have too many "movies" tp...
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 17:46:29 »
(Attachment Link)

Show Image

My Harddrives.....  noooooooooooooooo!!! 
Show Image

You have too many "movies" tp...

Slanderous insinuations.. 

Show Image

Only if it's untrue. Do you deny it?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 21:15:52 »

Offline iri

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 23:57:22 »
lolz!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 13:52:26 »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 13:58:42 »
Show Image

Oh no, not UPS...  They will definitely be dropping packages directly from that height.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 14:03:57 »
Show Image

Oh no, not UPS...  They will definitely be dropping packages directly from that height.

UPS would be better suited to just use a package launcher

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 14:07:55 »
Show Image

I can see that happening  :))

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 14:10:49 »
Show Image

I'm thinking t-shirt launcher only for packages mounted in the back of the truck

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 14:14:14 »
Show Image

I'm thinking t-shirt launcher only for packages mounted in the back of the truck

And a missile-style door at the bottom for monitors, refrigerators, and other electronics.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 14:23:35 »
See, that's not a bad thing.  We don't have to work all day in a field to have something to eat, cut wood to warm our house, etc.  If jobs shift in a more creative/intellectual direction--is that bad?

Photoelectric is correct! In 1840, 70% of the U.S. workforce were farmers. (see?) The coming of industrialization changed all that for the better. There had to have been people not suited to farm life, who dreamt of being interior decorators, or lingerie models. It was the same with the horseless carriages. Change is generally good, but it inevitably hurts.

Maybe when the sentient supercomputer brains are in charge of the economy they will begin slowly shifting us back to an agrarian economy, purely for the sake of a simpler, less hectic lifestyle. But really, I just want to see a drone carrying a Meat Craver pizza lock onto my phone's GPS signal and chase me around a public park. That would be awesome.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 14:38:34 »
But really, I just want to see a drone carrying a precision guided munition lock onto my phone's GPS signal and chase me around a public park. That would be awesome.

FTFY. :P

in memoriam

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 15:29:33 »
I welcome our new robot overlords.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 15:55:39 »
I wonder what the max weight load will be...

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 16:27:00 »
They'd spend a fortune on those plastic package carrying containers (unless you're required to return them?).

Also, I feel like people would start shooting them out of the sky for fun. They'd have to be armed with phasers (or more realistically, long-range pepper spray cannons).
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 17:33:36 »
Perhaps they can source them at the same price as boxes?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 15:19:55 »
In the 1950's Popular Mechanics published a stolovery about a former artillery Sergeant who attempted to invent a personal delivery system similar to what Amazon intends to create with drones. Except he used modified artillery shells. He actually got a hold of an M116 howitzer which he fired modified shells over a small town in upstate New York.

The shells were hollowed out inside and a parachute would automatically deploy as it approached the target. The problem was the shells weighed twenty pounds and if the parachute did not deploy that meant a twenty pound shell would come crashing down from the sky and wreck someone's house or possibly kill someone in the street. As the Sergeant tested the device and was utterly convinced it was a way of the future he offered to sell a solution installing expensive iron plating on the roofs of people's homes and heavy protective armor for navigating the streets.

This Sargent's story had become an inside joke among people who market modern electronics and virus software. Create a problem that is unnecessary and then sell people an expensive and completely impractical solution.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 15:24:06 »
I'll get a friend to work there so that he can put hidden bombs in the drone box thing and I'll type in somebody else's address and stuff. #legit2013
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 07:42:50 »
I'll get a friend to work there so that he can put hidden bombs in the drone box thing and I'll type in somebody else's address and stuff. #legit2013

That's not very funny.  ::)

Offline Malphas

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 11:03:04 »

See, that's not a bad thing.  We don't have to work all day in a field to have something to eat, cut wood to warm our house, etc.  If jobs shift in a more creative/intellectual direction--is that bad?  By that example, they already have, given that 100 years ago, the profession of a computer IT person would seem insanely superfluous and odd.  Or if we don't have to work as much in general to be provided for, if a lot of things are automated.  Clearly economy will need to adapt as well as the social order, but that's what gradual changes do anyway.
Agreed. The elimination of labour through technology has always been met with a degree of criticism but has always a net benefit.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 11:07:14 »
I wonder how many packages AND drones will "go missing", depending on how low they fly. People will have much less consciensce about taking something that's flying over their home than holding up a delivery driver.

About the whole "self-driving" car thing. I can see it working if ALL the cars are self-driving. Add just one human driver and you introduce a totally unpredictable factor, since you can't predict how the human will react in a given situation. Accidents are bound to happen. If they have their own roads, then no worries, but I don't trust mixing automated vehicles and human-controlled ones. And this is even assuming the control software and hardware is as good as human perception for things like black ice, pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcycles, etc.

Yes, all those automated cars work fine on the roads in California, but if they were to do a trial run in - let's say your residence, Finland - in January then I suspect within about 30 seconds they'd all have spun out of control, slid off the road, or smashed into each other. Although to be fair, on the rare occasion California gets freezing temperatures that's what happens with all the human drivers anyway.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 11:11:16 »
Do I get to keep the box?
I don't think it's available in the US... Seeing as the NSA will say things like NO DRONES. I thought they were illegal anyway?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 11:13:03 »
Do I get to keep the box?
I don't think it's available in the US... Seeing as the NSA will say things like NO DRONES. I thought they were illegal anyway?

FCC is working on it....

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 11:13:46 »
Ooh. That would be really cool to have in Miami. If only though.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 11:17:13 »
Well once drones are 'acceptable' then there will be good ones and bad ones.....and then the dream job of being a drone pilot cop will be a reality.....

I imagine drones will make wonderful delivery systems for drug dealers.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 12:52:18 »
For drug dealers... That actually makes some sense. You can buy a AR drone for your phone. It's pretty cool actually.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 16:38:36 »
Are you sure? I thought it would be electric.... You know with all this save to world yada yada.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 16:57:19 »
I an imagine people making drones that look like Vipers, or Tie fighters or whatever, and trying to shoot down the Amazon drones :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 17:00:10 »
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't ship to the everglades... All of those people hunt.. They scare me too.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 17:02:03 »
Are you sure? I thought it would be electric.... You know with all this save to world yada yada.

they would need a huge battery station.. gas powered would greatly extend range..

although... they'd have to develop an entirely new industrial line of small engine because the hobby ones melt pretty quickly.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 17:03:28 »
Solar power?

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 18:09:22 »
Groupon will use one alternative solution:

;D
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB