Author Topic: do you lower the brightness of your monitor at night?  (Read 13075 times)

Offline studbike

do you lower the brightness of your monitor at night?
« on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 09:48:50 »
I'm a lurker here, this is like my first post. I recently got a monoprice 32" 4k monitor - i am trying to reduce eye strain long-term. I don't have bad problems with it but im hedging against my age.

It's an IPS monitor that supposedly has no pulse-width-modulation problems in the backlight. I had setup hiccups, but the image quality is great.

The problem is that there is no way to adjust the brightness without digging through the menu - so I probably won't. Default adjustment is audio volume and it seemingly can't be changed. I have flux installed, which is an app that turns the colors of the monitor yellow at night and sort of lowers the brightness as well - it feels like it does because of the coloration, but obviously the backlight in the monitor is still at the same setting.

I'll be getting dual tinted bias lighting (LED strips mounted at the back of the monitor to spread light behind it) - one strip at 6500k to match the monitor during the day, and another at 2700k to match the monitor while flux is running at night.

If you read this far - what do you think of the importance of adjusting the backlight in the monitor? Should I leave it at 80% all the time? Should I turn it down at night? Up during the day? Thanks in advance

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: do you lower the brightness of your monitor at night?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 09:57:47 »
You WILL burn out your eyes by using high brightness.

Ideally, you want to dim the environment and use around 120nits (peak white), if you must use white.

the 200+ 300nits setting only really exists to combat OFFICE lighting, the lighting used to enslave office workers.

Going yellow is not enough, you have to GO BLACK.  Grey text is the best because it's lower contrast and doesn't hurt your eye.

Avoid using tint, while reducing blue is better, it affects color perception, and is generally unpleasant.

Bias lighting is not good for color perception either, because if there is a high percentage of color cast from the wall,  it changes the perceived white point of the monitor itself.   Basically any color that is cast, is drained out of your monitor because it interferes with perception. This is an optical illusion system.

Colorists use a neutral Grey , specialized wall paint and a special light which has similar spectral density to Sunlight.   This has nothing to do with CRI rating, that's all bull****,  you need to look at the spectral density of the light product.

Offline Afresh

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 10:05:21 »
I work on my LG 27GL850-B (terrible name) and I used to have it on 100% brightness but since I tend to sit aroud 7-16 hours a day here my eyes began to notice it. Now I'm sitting on 15% all the time and I can't go back, its too bright for me. Also saves you pennies on energy usage :P

Offline ycanales

• keybordist
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 10:12:03 »
100% during the day on my Samsung ultrawide, around 30% on evenings and 0% at night with lights off. It’s a VA panel with around 350 nits peak brightness I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline studbike

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 10:17:59 »
@tp4 this is all new to me. thanks for the thoughtful reply. I am a web developer - color is usually not that important to me, but there are times when I need it.

I use "solarized light" theme in my code editor - what do you think of it? https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ryanolsonx.solarized
I switched to this theme after hearing someone give an impassioned speech about how the dark themes aren't actually better for your eyes because you switch back and forth out of your code editor and the transition between dark code and light apps elsewhere is hard on your eyes. These were in the days before "dark-modes" were popular outside of code-editors.

Just to be clear, i use flux mainly for circadian rhythm concerns (getting to sleep). I don't think it's going to help much with my eyesight other than the side effect of slightly lowering the amount of bright light emitted from the monitor

in light of all of this (pun intended har-har) do you think i should adjust my bias lighting plan? I haven't bought anything yet. The wall behind the monitor is a map of the world - mostly blue oceans, green/brown continents. And do you think I should be adjusting the brightness setting in my monitor throughout the day, or do you think i should leave it in one place and perhaps use a different color-profile (derived from software)?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 10:45:11 »
You don't have to get too hardcore unless you're interested in color accuracy.

I just wanted you to be aware that the brain automatically subtracts peripheral colors.

Specific to brightness.

Circadian is a big one, an out of sync system dampens the immune system, we've got plague evolution and civil war 2 coming, so you'd want to stay fit.

blue is the main problem as it interrupts the melotonin production which naturally puts you to sleep. But any light has a component of blue.

Think about the difference, between black and a dim yellow light, it's still technically alot blue-er. So the interruption persists even though the light is now in relative terms more yellow, 2700k, still has a blue component.

For UI jumping in and out of bright colors, most good programming environments have custom color support nowadays.   

I am a strong supporter of dark theme everything.  If it doesn't have dark theme, I don't use the product.

Bias lighting is also decorative, so I don't want to dampen your room decor, just spreading awareness.

Offline yqqdrasil

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 11:17:06 »
I use f.lux, automatically adjusts based on time zone etc

Offline Kavik

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 12:51:03 »
When I was still working in the office, my monitors there had a nifty setting called "eye saver", wherein I could simply double click a button on the monitor and it would go dim instead of requiring me to go into the menu each time. My monitors at home don't have this, so I recently switched them to 50% brightness as a compromise between day-time and night-time use. Ideally, the brightness would be lower, but I don't feel like going into three monitor menus twice per day. I may titrate the brightness down over time if I need to.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 12:57:56 »
This is another reason why ROKU-Tvs make the BEST computer monitors, it's got brightness setting in 3 button click.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 14:20:50 »
No. I have the eyes of a real man. Only babies need to see everything in orange.

Offline bliss

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 14:29:25 »
Welcome to geekhack.

I have sensitive eyes and adjust my monitors accordingly, 2-3 times a day. At night I set the monitor to a mode with reduced blue light, at 0% brightness.

Monitors with vital adjustments hidden deep in menus are designed by the same imbeciles that hide climate controls equally unreachable in some modern cars...
Please, everyone take the time and adjust your monitor to match ambient brightness.

what noisyturtle said

I'll be getting ... tinted bias lighting (LED strips mounted at the back of the monitor to spread light behind it) ... at 2700k to match the monitor while flux is running at night.

No. I mean, don't, because a warm white LED (I suppose this is what you have in mind) is still basically a blue LED with some extra, so not suitable for night use (it has a spike in the blue range of the spectrum). What I use instead is a (cheap) RGB LED strip, where I make sure that the blue LED portions are all turned off during night time use. With an adjustable DC power supply, LEDs won't even flicker ;)
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 January 2021, 14:33:56 by bliss »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 15:30:40 »

No. I mean, don't, because a warm white LED (I suppose this is what you have in mind) is still basically a blue LED with some extra, so not suitable for night use (it has a spike in the blue range of the spectrum). What I use instead is a (cheap) RGB LED strip, where I make sure that the blue LED portions are all turned off during night time use. With an adjustable DC power supply, LEDs won't even flicker ;)

Why stop there,   Go 100% red only, make life more like Virtual-Boy.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 21:21:15 »
I set both of mine to 75% brightness then use Redshift (similar to FLUX).
I don't change it unless I absolutely must.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline jamster

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 00:06:29 »
I run the lowest possible brightness that I can get away with on my monitors. Daytime a little brighter, night time as dark as possible. That's just what is comfortable for me.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 01:46:06 »
Does anyone else brine their monitor for deeper flavors?

Offline Kavik

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 02:02:51 »
Does anyone else brine their monitor for deeper flavors?

Maybe it's because it's late, but this made me spit a little laughing.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline bliss

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 05:50:44 »

Why stop there,   Go 100% red only, make life more like Virtual-Boy.

the only option for night recon missions

edit: why not use amber leds instead? does not emit any blue and gives a nice warm light
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 January 2021, 06:03:38 by bliss »

Offline Sniping

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 20:32:05 »
@tp4 this is all new to me. thanks for the thoughtful reply. I am a web developer - color is usually not that important to me, but there are times when I need it.

I use "solarized light" theme in my code editor - what do you think of it? https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ryanolsonx.solarized
I switched to this theme after hearing someone give an impassioned speech about how the dark themes aren't actually better for your eyes because you switch back and forth out of your code editor and the transition between dark code and light apps elsewhere is hard on your eyes. These were in the days before "dark-modes" were popular outside of code-editors.

Just to be clear, i use flux mainly for circadian rhythm concerns (getting to sleep). I don't think it's going to help much with my eyesight other than the side effect of slightly lowering the amount of bright light emitted from the monitor

in light of all of this (pun intended har-har) do you think i should adjust my bias lighting plan? I haven't bought anything yet. The wall behind the monitor is a map of the world - mostly blue oceans, green/brown continents. And do you think I should be adjusting the brightness setting in my monitor throughout the day, or do you think i should leave it in one place and perhaps use a different color-profile (derived from software)?

I can relate a little to the jumping out of dark and light applications. just keep your ide/whatever on your main screen and use your laptop screen for your web browser or whatever white screen you need to interact with. assuming you probably use a work laptop or similar, or at least have a secondary monitor that's a little smaller than your primary one. i wouldn't overthink this one, the best thing you can do for yourself is, of course, take a damn break, so i wouldn't go barking up the wrong tree if you're really straining your eyes. just think about your daily tendencies and you'll know if you're doing a number on your eyes and body. i treat my body alright but my eyes definitely get strained. miraculously i still have perfect vision but i feel it getting slightly worse over time.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 17:31:34 »
259903-0

I go out of my way to avoid white backgrounds at any level of intensity. I pretty much leave the monitors on their factory default but go into the video driver settings (nVidia Ctrl panel, that sort of thing) to shift the color, reduce blue, slightly reduce red -- hey look everything's green! Next is the window theme, where I change all the colors with long hours at the keyboard in mind. And in the browser, I only use ones that aren't chrome, partly because I hate chrome with a passion including derivatives like Chromium and Brave, but also they don't have a setting (or TOR, which has a setting it doesn't honor) to override all colors with the system colors.

Then vendors go and set up critical interfaces with background-objects that don't show up so I have no idea what I'm supposed to click on without going back into settings and blinding myself.

All of the above sometimes isn't enough. When I have a migraine, I wear heavy sunglasses while computing. Or go to bed, that works too.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline aleck

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 13:05:32 »
My eyes are already broken as hell and my glasses supposedly filter blue light so I pretty much don't care, I also do my daily tasks right next to two windows.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 21:38:31 »
Increase brightness, turn on dracula theme, yep its coding time

Offline DELLA KEY

• Formerly 'AFA STUDIO'
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 10:50:51 »
Turn on dark mode and use blue filter.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 17:54:14 »
I have IPS screens, I run them at 70% because they are just too darn bright in evenings and it's bright enough for day use, then I use a blue filter at night.

Works fine except for some games like Fallout 4 and  Bioshock, I either have to up the brightness or kill the lights behind me or the glare is an issue, despite matte screens. I usually just kill the lights, easier than fiddling with the screen buttons, which, while not great are tons better than on my old screens. Never buying HP screens again.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 April 2021, 17:55:51 by Leslieann »
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 18:04:08 »
Never buying HP screens again.

You gotta get into the factory menu to correct the white point.  But in general gamma tracking is poor out of the box, A colorimeter will fix that.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 18:36:38 »
Never buying HP screens again.

You gotta get into the factory menu to correct the white point.  But in general gamma tracking is poor out of the box, A colorimeter will fix that.

With those screens the only color correction I was going to do with them was to throw them out the window and start over.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 19:39:24 »
With those screens the only color correction I was going to do with them was to throw them out the window and start over.

You'd be surprised. colorimeters are magical

Offline DELLA KEY

• Formerly 'AFA STUDIO'
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 20:02:25 »
Do you know F.lux program? This is excellent for screen improvement!  :thumb:

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 21:30:47 »

You'd be surprised. colorimeters are magical

They can't make a glossy screen labeled "semi-glossy" into actual semi-gossy.
They cannot fix an overly sensitive chip that freaks out and starts looking for another port if your hz is 59.9999 instead of 60.
They can't fix buttons that are too hard and wrecks my dual screen alignment (even while using a nice aftermarket mount)
They can't fix a broke as f*ck menu system that takes up to 2 minutes to select a port and locks you out of the system while it looks for occupied ports.

I actually went and bought a KVM after a year with them to keep from having to use the menu system when changing ports a few times a month but what I should have done was replace them. I was waiting for them to die to replace them and honestly I think they survived as long as they did just to spite me.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 21:33:53 »
menu system  ports.

TCL , Roku Tvs,  Best menu system in the industry.  Just don't do your banking on them. Spying.

Also extremely robust color tuning system.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 10:46:19 »
I know I run my panel at about 65% brightness, my Acer IPS (XF270HU) has been a good panel for what I paid for it so I could move to 1440p.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 11:55:26 »
I know I run my panel at about 65% brightness, my Acer IPS (XF270HU) has been a good panel for what I paid for it so I could move to 1440p.

It's all bout dat 8K now.. Gotta go 8K.. 7680 × 4320

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 22:12:49 »
yes

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 05:11:26 »
I don't necessarily lower the brightness of my monitor at night, but I do use f.lux (https://justgetflux.com/) which is probably one of the best programs I have ever download). Rather than lowering the brightness of the monitor, it tries to reduce blue light being emitted by warming the colours on the screen. Indirectly, the brightness of the screen gets affected by this and is slightly reduced.

Offline Altis

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 16:45:30 »
I always increase/decrease the brightness at home where the light varies throughout the day. The important thing is to match the display brightness with the ambient brightness.

If you don't want to have to touch it, just get some decent lighting so you aren't staring into the sun trying to work. Flux alone isn't enough if you go from having bright sunlight to darkness in your space, but it works great in an office building or room with no windows.

Also, why on earth would a monitor company put brightness in a difficult to access sub-menu??
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 15:12:27 »
Been using the "fried" option at night lately and find it has an odd numbing effect on my brain. Like I rubbed lidocane on my frontal lobe. Sure it could be the tiredness from the time of day, but I believe the color saturation has an unlisted effect. Like those sunglasses they sell at health shops that are supposed to affect your mood.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 01:13:25 »
the more saturated the color, the brighter it is perceived to be. Although this wouldn't have a huge impact except on black UIs.

Offline kizuna

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 20:12:42 »
I used to use flux but didnt noticed a difference with my eyes or sleep, so I don't bother to adjust brightness anymore.

Offline seokjin

• smooth like butter
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 15:10:52 »
Yeah I definitely decrease the brightness and put the night light mode on to decrease the blue light, I tend to get headaches/migraines if I don't.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 19:00:30 »
do i reduce brightness? yes. and i'll second (or third) the comment about working with the dimmest monitor possible. and blue filter glasses, but i don't know if they really work. and dark theme. btw, this is all what i've migrated to simply based on reduced headaches and eye strain. don't forget monitor height and angle as a factor for eye strain. seating and posture also important. or not. do what works for you, you'll find Your Way  :thumb: