Author Topic: GIGANTIC CM STORM AWESOME CREATIVE FUN THING **READ THIS FIRST**  (Read 231504 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants

THERE IS NO LONGER A DEADLINE OR A CONTEST. THE COUPON WILL LAST FOREVER. WE WILL SIMPLY GATHER TOGETHER AT REGULAR INTERVALS AND GIVE OUT PRIZES FOR THOSE WHO MAKE PARTICULARLY COOL WORKLOGS. EVERYONE YAY!!! MAKE COOL STUFF!!

PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU ARE INTERNATIONAL AND WANT TO PURCHASE QFR TOP CASES: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48030.msg1048915#msg1048915

Hi folks!

Happy slightly belated sixth birthday, Geekhack!

To celebrate this momentous ocassion, I've worked closely with Carter and CM-Rajiv at CM Storm to provide everyone an awesome bonus just for participating in the contest, and then to make sure that the prize is primarily recognition as The Most Awesome Person on Geekhack, and not some swag that means much less than being most awesome in this awesome community.

So here's how this collaboration went. First, imagine me driving 50 miles across LA into the middle of nowhere. This is, unfortunately, where Coolermaster is headquartered. On the upside, no traffic! I had a frankly brilliant idea on the way there: what if they gave away quickfire rapid case tops at cost to everyone! We could have a contest for doing the most creative and awesome thing to a quickfire rapid top case and everyone gets really cheap top cases!

So, arriving in the middle of nowhere, I get to the door and am quickly greeted by CM-Rajiv, who is _one_ of the most awesome people on geekhack. We go up to a conference room and chat for a minute while Carter brings his puppy in WHO IS THE CUTEST PUPPY ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH

ok where was I, oh yah, contest

I present my contest idea and they look at each other and say "WE HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT HAVING EXACTLY THIS CONTEST FOR MONTHS". It was meant to be.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE

Click on this link: http://www.cmstore-usa.com/search.php?search_query=quickfire+rapid
Click on "Quickfire Rapid Replacement Top Panel"

Add UP TO TWO OF EACH COLOR TO YOUR CART. The limit is two. One is less than the limit, zero is silly, Two is the limit.

Click on "View Cart" at the upper right corner of the page. You should have between 1 and 4 items in your cart. You can have more, but they can't be top cases, and I have no idea what will happen with your shipping costs.

CORRECTION/ADDITION: CLICK ON ESTIMATE SHIPPING BELOW YOUR ORDER TOTAL BEFORE ENTERING THE COUPON CODE

On the left side of the page, scroll down and enter 'ghanniversary' in the coupon code field. Click on "GO" below that field.

CHECKOUT! The cases are 5 dollars each with free shipping anywhere in the CONUS.

OK, I HAVE FOUR CASES WHAT DO I DO

Well, you do the same thing we do every day here. MAKE SOMETHING AWESOME. I don't care if it's a mixed media sculpture, a keyboard, or a robotic sifo. It could also be a robotic binge, but if it is, it has to be MORE awesome than a robotic sifo.

OK, REAL RULES:

1) You cannot DEFACE the CM Storm logo on the case into anything vulgar. I will delete your entry AND make fun of you for being disrespectful. You can completely remove the logo, you can make the logo MORE AWESOME or you can leave it alone. Those are your three options. Choose one.

2) You must make something awesome. If you're not sure what this means, I have several educational films you might want to check out. (i) Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, 1,2,3 and the animated series. (ii) Back to the Future 1-3. I don't know if there is an animated series but if there is, watch it. (iii) The Three Ninjas 1-6. I don't know if there were six movies, but if there were, watch them.

3) You must post pictures and write about what you make and post it on geekhack. The threads for this will go in a forum in this category called "Making CM Storm Quickfire Rapid Top Cases Together Yay!" BECAUSE YOU'RE MEANT TO BE WORKING TOGETHER! See? I love community, SO BE A COMMUNITY. THAT'S AN ORDER. I don't care what you write or what you take pictures of, just post something and be awesome. If you need a primer on being awesome, see above.

PRIZES:

1st Prize: Smoke detector, fresh battery (or is it?) signed by iMav himself. iMav may or may not punch a wall before signing it. He is currently renovating a house, so he has plenty of walls he can punch at will.

2nd Prize: Maybe a keyboard. Maybe a napkin. Definitely a prize.

3rd Prize: Quickfire Rapid Keyboard, signed by someone. I won't tell you who will sign it beforehand. It could be 2pac, it could be Michael Jackson, it could be my landlord; I don't know, so you don't know.

Everyone prize: Very possibly mumble mumble discount mumble mumble.

Random prize: Bobcat Tractor Trailer. I'm trying really hard to make this happen, so make sure you have room for one.

The contest term will be from today 8/23 to next month, 9/23 TBA. You can and should start your worklogs asap so that you can share tips on hacking away at plastic and rubberized coatings.

The judges will be CM-Rajiv, Carter, and the admin team. We will debate the winners over a chat based medium, with the moderator team being our peanut gallery, then publish the discussion so that the decision is transparent. I will state that no matter who wins, everyone will win, and then someone will win, but so will everyone else. At the end of the contest on 9/23 TBA, CM Storm will announce something something mumble discount something?

OK, GO BUY CASES AND MAKE THEM AWESOME.

Note that Canadian shipping looks to be pretty cheap, and I have a limited number of cases EXACTLY TWO CASES that I can ship internationally if you are particularly creative and in a country that is not well served by CM Store's shipping costs. Please PM me if that's the case. A number of cases have gone out already this way.

OK GOGOGOGOGOGOG

-GUCCI MING (happy sifo?)
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 September 2013, 12:42:12 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
GIGANTIC CM STORM AWESOME CONTEST CLICK ME HERE RIGHT NOW
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 13:48:10 »
Big props to CM and Ming(Professor Gucci Ming) for making this happen! Time to order cases to get creative!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: GIGANTIC CM STORM AWESOME CONTEST CLICK ME HERE RIGHT NOW
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 13:51:48 »
Technically, you only need to buy two cases, not four, right?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 13:52:56 »
YES
I love Elzy

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 13:53:45 »
16+ cases are already on their way to me and my UK/EU bros.

Thanks ming & CM!
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline phx

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 13:54:20 »
time to go to town on these covers! woot woot
thank you CM for doing this, you guys are the best

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 13:54:41 »
Kawa can I have a jacket signed by polt if I participate
I love Elzy

Offline phx

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 13:55:23 »
Kawa can I have a jacket signed by polt if I participate

yes please. i'll take a napkin used by polt.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 13:59:48 »
Hmm....I just noticed that I spelled my city incorrectly when I made that account a couple weeks ago.  Chesa[eale is not a city.  Hopefully its not a problem for my order :S.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:09:55 »
So, every time I try to enter the coupon, it tells me my shipping location isn't available for it.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:10:54 »
So, every time I try to enter the coupon, it tells me my shipping location isn't available for it.

**** us.
I love Elzy

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:12:57 »
i think they're 10 each shipped free to canada without the coupon. i can send a couple to the party squad in toronto though. i'll have to check what i have left at home. there are some other internationals in worse situations that i have to take care of.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:13:51 »
CM swag swag baby!!!
I just ordered 2 black and 2 grey, thanks so much!
Now the waiting game begins

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:15:58 »

i think they're 10 each shipped free to canada without the coupon. i can send a couple to the party squad in toronto though. i'll have to check what i have left at home. there are some other internationals in worse situations that i have to take care of.

Guess ill have to halve my order :(

Even if we bulk sent to Toronto, I highly doubt ill be getting there within a month.

Offline phx

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:16:23 »
Hmm....I just noticed that I spelled my city incorrectly when I made that account a couple weeks ago.  Chesa[eale is not a city.  Hopefully its not a problem for my order :S.

shouldn't matter as long as your zip code is correct.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:17:02 »
i thought you lived in toronto. it's free ship into canada. if you guys need more and i end up with more after i take care of the people waaay out there i'll ship 'em into canada.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:25:22 »

i thought you lived in toronto. it's free ship into canada. if you guys need more and i end up with more after i take care of the people waaay out there i'll ship 'em into canada.

I'm 4 hours north. Actually 8 at the moment, I'm in the woods.

Shipping is free, but not at the $5 a case price! $20 for 4, yes. $40 for 4, :(
Stupid Canada

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:27:03 »
USA USA USA

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:30:20 »
Man this seems like so much fun!
Nice idea!  :thumb:
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:33:13 »
CORRECTION: CLICK ON ESTIMATE SHIPPING BELOW YOUR ORDER TOTAL BEFORE ENTERING THE COUPON CODE

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:35:14 »
Cases purchased. 4 of the bad boys. We shall see what happens. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jameslr

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:41:14 »
le sigh...why did I sell my QFR...
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline rarar

• moist booty seepage
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:51:31 »
Posted my QFR modded case :)
Ỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫̜͉̠̫͕̭̭̫̫̹̗̹͈̼̠̖͍͚̥͈̮̼͕̠̤̯̻̥̬̗̼̳̤̳̬̪̹͚̞̼̠͕̼̠̦͚̫͔̯̹͉͉̘͎͕̼̣̝͙̱̟̹̩̟̳̦̭͉̮̖̭̣̣̞̙̗̜̺̭̻̥͚͙̝̦̲̱͉͖͉̰̦͎̫̣̼͎͍̠̮͓̹̹͉̤̰̗̙͕͇͔̱͕̭͈̳̗̭͔̘̖̺̮̜̠͖̘͓̳͕̟̠̱̫̤͓͔̘̰̲͙͍͇̙͎̣̼̗̖͙̯͉̠̟͈͍͕̪͓̝̩̦̖̹̼̠̘̮͚̟͉̺̜͍͓̯̳̱̻͕̣̳͉̻̭̭̱͍̪̩̭̺͕̺̼̥̪͖̦̟͎̻̰_Ỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫̜͉̠̫͕̭̭̫̫̹̗̹͈̼̠̖͍͚̥͈̮̼͕̠̤̯̻̥̬̗̼̳̤̳̬̪̹͚̞̼̠͕̼̠̦͚̫͔̯̹͉͉̘͎͕̼̣̝͙̱̟̹̩̟̳̦̭͉̮̖̭̣̣̞̙̗̜̺̭̻̥͚͙̝̦̲̱͉͖͉̰̦͎̫̣̼͎͍̠̮͓̹̹͉̤̰̗̙͕͇͔̱͕̭͈̳̗̭͔̘̖̺̮̜̠͖̘͓̳͕̟̠̱̫̤͓͔̘̰̲͙͍͇̙͎̣̼̗̖͙̯͉̠̟͈͍͕̪͓̝̩̦̖̹̼̠̘̮͚̟͉̺̜͍͓̯̳̱̻͕̣̳͉̻̭̭̱͍̪̩̭̺͕̺̼̥̪͖̦̟͎̻̰ ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็_ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:56:39 »
Soooooon.....

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 14:57:20 »
NEW RULE: CARTER HAS TO POST PICTURES OF PUPPY

Offline Grimfire

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 15:10:21 »
I've been putting off trying this for ages. I guess its time to give it a shot.

Thanks for making this contest/discount possible.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 15:45:31 »
Quick question: is the goal of this contest to customize two covers or one?  In other words, is the second cover for practice or are both included in the contest, customized in different ways?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 16:27:25 »
Ordered.  Now to figure out something to do with them.
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 16:42:23 »
At photoelectric, do whatever you want, just make it AWESOME! (Correct ming?)

I like the idea of the contest, it is a win win for everyone. Greatest prize is you would have created something unique for yourself at the end of all of this.

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 17:01:28 »

I'm 4 hours north. Actually 8 at the moment, I'm in the woods.

Shipping is free, but not at the $5 a case price! $20 for 4, yes. $40 for 4, :(
Stupid Canada

stupid canada I agree, you guys got the $35 QFR deal /jelly

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:06:49 »

Even if we bulk sent to Toronto, I highly doubt ill be getting there within a month.
you mean halveRSON your order?!?!? EH?

Offline shrapneL

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:20:41 »
Just ordered my 4. Excited to see what I can come up with! Thanks a lot to mkawa and the guys over at CM for this!
hello.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:35:58 »
Not to be a buzz kill, but what's up with all the excessive spam threads and posts in this subforum? That's telling new guys it's ok to make useless threads, especially when it's from an admin.

Anyways, I'll be in for this contest :)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:37:21 »
Not to be a buzz kill, but what's up with all the excessive spam threads and posts in this subforum? That's telling new guys it's ok to make useless threads, especially when it's from an admin.

Anyways, I'll be in for this contest :)
yesterday i learned that rules don't apply to certain staff.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:38:03 »

you mean halveRSON your order?!?!? EH?

Damn you G.Ming!!!

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 22:38:43 »
This is awesome mkawa. I always love a good contest!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 10:05:43 »
IF YOU ARE INTERNATIONAL NON-CANADIAN AND SHIPPING IS PROHIBITIVE TO EVEN GET ONE CASE, PLEASE PM ME AND I WILL GET YOU A CASE

Offline Jixr

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 19:46:11 »
Do we have a deadline for the contest?

I've 4 case tops on the way, and want to mod at least one of them for this contest, possibly two of them if I can find the right materials.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 20:42:57 »
Do we have a deadline for the contest?

I've 4 case tops on the way, and want to mod at least one of them for this contest, possibly two of them if I can find the right materials.

The contest term will be from today 8/23 to next month, 9/23. As above, we will create the contest worklog forum where everyone can post their worklogs.

GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline V1ral

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 13:06:06 »
Awesome, I was just about to buy a bunch of these last week. :D

Any idea on what the CM's stock of these is like? As in, is there any reason worry about them running out if I don't order ASAP? I'm going to be out of town for the next week, and I'd rather not risk having them sit on my porch for days.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 13:36:06 »
there is limited stock, and when they're gone, they're gone. limited stock = hundreds, not thousands.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 14:30:26 »
So I was gonna buy some but yeah.. .discount doesn't work to Canada :(

Your shipping address doesn't meet the location requirements for the coupon code you entered.
I love Elzy

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 14:40:36 »
Looks like shipping to Canada could be roughly $10 (just estimated using 15oz weight for a couple covers in a box, 16" x 8" x 3").  I can help with those if you'd like.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 14:44:50 »
Nah man i t's all good. CM Storm selling them $10 shipped to Canada I'll just take 2 instead of 4.
I love Elzy

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 15:08:40 »
Not sure what I'm going to do just yet, but I ordered 4 case tops to give something a go.  ;D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 04:17:27 »
So... this isn't no purchase necessary right? we can't just draw it right?

Offline TopazPie

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 05:10:15 »
Just ordered my cases. Super excited. Thanks for arranging this GH team and cm

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 21:30:45 »
ATTN INTERNATIONALS: if it's really cost prohibitive for you to participate, i have 2 more black case tops i can send to you, anywhere in the world :) PM ME!!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
GIGANTIC CM STORM AWESOME CONTEST CLICK ME HERE RIGHT NOW
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 21:38:57 »
Nah man i t's all good. CM Storm selling them $10 shipped to Canada I'll just take 2 instead of 4.

Your question and response was almost identical to what I said earlier in this thread.

-D-bros

Offline Jixr

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 12:55:14 »
So i tried cusomizing one of my cases, all i ended up with was bits of chopped up qfr cover..