Author Topic: Something to ease tension on the lower back?  (Read 2620 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Something to ease tension on the lower back?
« on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 23:08:47 »
Like a doughnut, but without having to look like I have anal polyps. Since going into game development I've acquired some harsh lower back issues that are just getting worse and worse. Preferably portable, and without me having to get an entirely new chair.

Offline hoggy

Re: Something to ease tension on the lower back?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 23:56:08 »
Physio?

Drink a cup of coffee at least once an hour - the magic works harder if you make it yourself.  Actually, water works just as well, but if you're into game development, you're probably drinking that much coffee already.

Edit - reread your post - think I get the gist a bit better now.

I remember straining a ligament in the base of my spine years ago - sounds similar.  If it's something like that then ibuprofen or diclofenac might help.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 June 2013, 23:59:12 by hoggy »
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 23:59:28 »
Physio?

Drink a cup of coffee at least once an hour - the magic works harder if you make it yourself.  Actually, water works just as well, but if you're into game development, you're probably drinking that much coffee already.

Yeah, spend almost as much time on the toilet as I do in front of a screen. I've been popping Alive like candy, but that isn't too healthy on the 'ol liver.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 00:10:52 »
Look up "coccyx cushion".  It's a cushion that has a hole cut out towards the back to reduce pressure on your spine.

Offline calavera

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 00:14:14 »
backjoy relief

I have this and it definitely helps with lower back pain. It doesn't cure anything, but it does force you to sit in a more natural/upright posture for your spine. So it won't make it worse. You constantly have to remind yourself not to slouch though. Otherwise it's useless. Go search on youtube, there's plenty of videos.

But unless they have you tied to the chair and force you to work hours straight, best way is to get up every hour or two and do the proper stretches for 5~10 minutes.

Offline ksm123

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 03:59:16 »
I don't know where are you from.

Here in my country (Poland), there is are labor laws that guarantee 5 minute break from starring into display for every 1 hour of work with computer. They are hidden somewhere in work safety laws.

I'm trying to make the best use of them, get up from my chair, prepare something to drink, walk to server room to change backup tapes, or bring some order back to my desk... There is "Workrave" software on my workstation which reminds me about breaks I'm entitled to. My superior used to think that my behavior was a little eccentric, but quickly found out that my efficiency does not suffer from it.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 09:44:37 »
1. Get a better chair, like a Herman Miller or Steelcase, preferably one with lumbar support.
2. Get a standing desk.

Either one should significantly ease lower back pain (getting an Aeron did for me, that's for sure).

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 09:57:07 »
 The best thing I ever did for my back was create a standing work station.  Seriously.  I also supplemented that with a stool so I could sit at a higher level when I got tired of standing.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Lanx

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 11:14:41 »
lumbar support helped me to the point, i don't remember it ever hurting.

Offline Lbeuol

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 12:08:12 »
I injured my back pretty badly a few years ago and unfortunately there's really nothing you can buy to addon to your chair to help.

Big office store chairs are pretty terrible for their price. Yea I eventually ended up just buying a Herman Miller Aeron but you can pretty easily find an used Steelcase criteron for maybe $80 at a local office supply liquidator.

You can find them pretty easily on craigslist (both the chair and office liquidators) some of the other chairs I'd suggest in order of lowest cost to highest are:

Steelcase Criteron > Herman Miller Mira > Steelcase Leap > Herman Miller Aeron

Humanscale is also a good brand but I'm not too familiar with them. Honestly the Aeron was worth every penny and has helped my back so much, it also has a 11 year full warranty that replaces anything.

If you can't find anything locally there's always the option of this website

http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/

They have pretty decent prices but shipping is pretty tough on chairs.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 16:34:27 »
Like a doughnut, but without having to look like I have anal polyps.
Sorry, I read it right? It sounds nasty!

Since going into game development I've acquired some harsh lower back issues that are just getting worse and worse. Preferably portable, and without me having to get an entirely new chair.
Get one decent chair - one Herman Miller
Best chair I've ever seem (IMHO)
I hope it helps (it helped my own doughnut at least)

Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 15:19:59 »
Biggest help is makeing sure your feet are flat on the ground distributing some of the weight.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 07:25:50 »
Biggest help is makeing sure your feet are flat on the ground distributing some of the weight.
true,
and your knee should be close to 90º (adjust the height of the chair in order to get 90º)
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB