Author Topic: Want to see an affordable massproduced ANSI Tenkeyless Alps board? Step inside..  (Read 7762 times)

Offline dante

I already posted this in another thread but just in case you didn't read it:

KBParadise is uncertain on the demand for a tenkeyless Alps board; if you want one (or two ... or three ...) please register your interest by:

Sending an email to: kbp@kbp.com.tw

Make sure it has 'attention to Daniel'

State that you want a V80MTS or a V80 Alps switchless design.

For those who are able to help: Please spread the word to Reddit/Deskthority and also post interest on KBParadise Facebook site. (I don't have accounts to these sites.)

They already have the casing, switches, stabilizers, and keycaps in house - they just need a nudge to produce the PCB.

Offline BlueBär

Nice! Attention to Daniel should be in the subject I suppose?

Offline Coreda

State that you want a V80MTS or a V80 Alps switchless design.

They already have the casing, switches, stabilizers, and keycaps in house - they just need a nudge to produce the PCB.

Is this the design?

Would be good to see more images of it.

Offline BlueBär

Is this the design?

Show Image

Would be good to see more images of it.

No, that's a 60% not a tenkeyless.

Offline Coreda

Similar design though? The only image results for 'V80MTS' were the 60% design.

Offline Moralless

Seeing as that is the 'standard' 60% layout it'd be safe to assume this one would also have the 'standard' TKL layout.

Offline dante

Nice! Attention to Daniel should be in the subject I suppose?

Yes sir!  Even though I'm quite pleased with my V60MTS it is a pain in the ass for RTS games.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Would massdrop be interested in taking part in this?

Offline dante

Would massdrop be interested in taking part in this?

I've suggested this to Daniel and he seemed quite receptive especially for a switchless/barebones V60MTS.  It is very odd that their first production keyboard would end up being a 60% - I would think if you were concerned about sales on a new switch type you'd go with something more standard like a tenkeyless.

Offline dante

Oh BY THE WAY - Daniel was asking me what I thought about them trying out a board with TaoHao Alps / Forward Alps.  I said:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Sent my email to Daniel.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BlueBär

I believe MTS stands for Matias as in the switch manufacturer. Here's their TKL:

Offline Heliosphere

They probably made a 60% first because it seems to be all the rage right now with Poker II selling like hotcakes. I definitely would like a TKL matias though. I'm just not sure whether I want to get quiet tactile or linear.

Offline dante

I'm just not sure whether I want to get quiet tactile or linear.

Buy all three! :D

Offline Heliosphere

I'm just not sure whether I want to get quiet tactile or linear.

Buy all three! :D

If I had some income I probably would!  :confused:

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
I would definitely buy an ANSI TKL alps board! I would probably want tactile.

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Interest registered.

Praying for clicky ALPS or the quiet switches.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dante

How many folks [with a good amount of posts] would be interested in a factory sample/prototype V80MTS tour?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
I'd love to test one for a week, dante.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
Would be interested but don't want to sacrifice quality for affordability.  Hope they're built well :)

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline dante

Would be interested but don't want to sacrifice quality for affordability.  Hope they're built well :)

If one is produced (KBP has a LOT of projects going on right now) it will be used to get feedback from people about what they like about it - what they don't like -  especially by folks who tear down keyboards in their sleep and give opinions of the PCB quality/etc.

For example I've already suggested their engineer review the feasibility of switching over to a dual Alps/MX compatible PCB to cut down on complexity at the factory level.

Just trying to tear down the walls one step at a time to people who are hesitant towards Alps - especially lack of keycap options.  Matias / TaoHao research seems to be in parallel.  Signature Plastics could care less whether you place an order or not....

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Interested!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
How many folks [with a good amount of posts] would be interested in a factory sample/prototype V80MTS tour?

interested for sure
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

Would be interested but don't want to sacrifice quality for affordability.

This. Personally, I would not actually buy one unless it was an upgrade from my Filco Zero.

And I have no interest in anything smaller than 87 keys.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline dante

Would be interested but don't want to sacrifice quality for affordability.

This. Personally, I would not actually buy one unless it was an upgrade from my Filco Zero.

And I have no interest in anything smaller than 87 keys.

What is it about the Filco Zero that you don't like?  What would you like to see?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

What is it about the Filco Zero that you don't like?

I wish it had a metal case like the Kingsaver.

And native great thick PBT key caps.

PS - and keep the attached cable by all means !!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Hypersphere

Interested. It  is good to see more keyboards becoming available with Matias switches, which I prefer over any of the Cherry switches.

I have recently purchased a V60 with Matias Quiet Click switches, and I have placed an order for a V60 with Matias Click switches. Although I like the relative quietness of the Quiet Click, I've heard that the Click switch has a crisper feel, which would be good.

One thing I appreciate about my V60 is that Fn can be swapped with Menu, which can then be remapped. I have used Karabiner software to remap my V60 to a HHKB layout.

It would be even better if the V60 were completely programmable. I would be much more interested in a programmable V60 than in a V80.

The other thing that is needed is keycap sets for Matias switches. It would be great if KBP could work with manufacturers to produce high-quality keycap sets, such as dye-sub PBT in OEM or a similar profile.

Offline dante

What is it about the Filco Zero that you don't like?

I wish it had a metal case like the Kingsaver.

And native great thick PBT key caps.

PS - and keep the attached cable by all means !!

There will be no metal case; the jury is still out if the V80 PCB fits in a "Filco standard" aftermarket case but that would be your best bet.  Plus you would get many styles/colors to choose from.

Attached cable - I'm there with you - in fact we may be the only two on GH that prefer hardwired; unfortunately it will share the MX V80 assembly line so doubtful they will deviate from detachable.

PBT keycaps - still waiting to hear back from TaoHao if they can do these for Alps... but if not have no idea when Matias will be releasing his.

Offline Hypersphere

I think that the keycaps that will be available from Matias will be ABS with lasered legends, although he might also have blanks. However, there should also be PBT available for the bottom row on the Matias 60, and if they manage to exceed their sales quotas, there might eventually be PBT keycaps for all rows of the Matias 60. If anyone has updates on keycaps from Matias, please let us know.

Offline RoflCopter4

Any chance they could do PBT caps? If they're just going to be another Matias board with ABS keycaps I see zero reason why anyone should get one over just getting a vintage Alps board, tenkeyless or otherwise.
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline dante

Any chance they could do PBT caps? If they're just going to be another Matias board with ABS keycaps I see zero reason why anyone should get one over just getting a vintage Alps board, tenkeyless or otherwise.

Your only options for a tenkeyless Alps board are the Ducky 1087, Leopold FC200R Lite, and Filco Zero.

The first two are pretty crappy.  The Zero will run $50-$100 more than this one will sell for.

The test board will be ABS; depending upon release date PBT may be an option.

Offline Hypersphere

Sent my email to Daniel, and got a nice reply already. Although my main interest is in an updated V60 (programmable; dye-sub PBT keycaps), I would also be interested in a V80. I like Matias switches much better than Cherry mx, and it would be good to see more keyboards with Matias switches on the market. If this happens, there will be more incentive for companies to start producing keycaps for these boards.

Offline dante

Yay.. ANOTHER tkl..  wh00t

Didn't know there was other TKL w/ Alps around.  Perhaps you can clue me in?