Author Topic: [GB] 16ga metal ergodox cases -- Shipping R2 recommencing  (Read 86473 times)

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
Re: 16ga metal ergodox (Getting quote "soon" for round two)
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:56:25 »
No, sorry extended vertically from bare minimalist. 'mini' case was just the base, and switchplate. Several people wanted the top cover too. That, six layers with top cover (using the 'classic' .dxf files) was the extended minimalst.
2x bottom, plate and top - 6 layers. Understood.
6061 Alu or 304 SS?

I have the quote in front of me now. Full case classic was (cost to me not counting driving to the next city to get them) $83.50 in 6061, or $96.50 in 304 SS. Full hand, $86/$98.50.

I bet with some math I can figure the proportions out, if folks want to pursue this route.
I would love to get one complete SS, just to test, but I still need to calculate the total to see if it fits into my pocket.
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 13:45:42 »
The savings between classic, and "extended minimalist" was $23+ dollars, implying that for non-keyswitch layers it's just under $12 for each left/right pair. That would see a spacer kit land between forty and sixty, as JD's file has both sides in something that's just a little more surface area that a single layer for Listser's case (all those numbers are for 6061 aluminum).

When I get a chance I'll ask them for a quote on the spacer, and ask more details about "full sheet" savings (in the case of the ext-mini it was about a 1/4th drop in price -- impressive).

Again, everybody chime in if you want to pursue this route.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline geniekid

« Reply #252 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 17:40:19 »
I'm in if the price for classic extended SS is close to $100 after shipping (CONUS). 

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #253 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 19:27:41 »
i hope i don't come off badly doing this but im going to have to pull out of round 2 :(

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #254 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 00:38:49 »
I've updated my spreadsheet with the cancellations.

I'd still rather deal with the local shop but if folks here want to move forward, the big-city shop is probably the best bet for that. I'll post here tomorrow when I hear back from them about the spacer quote.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #255 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 03:00:43 »
with the cost of the case, then shipping to the u.k. then getting reamed for import duty and fees & whatnot, i can only really justify going for cheapy aluminium options, so local, low-cost, and slow suits me ;)

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #256 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 06:27:29 »
with the cost of the case, then shipping to the u.k. then getting reamed for import duty and fees & whatnot, i can only really justify going for cheapy aluminium options, so local, low-cost, and slow suits me ;)
Same for me but Alu, I would prefer 304 SS.
I think we can wait, no stress AKmalamute.
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #257 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 23:15:01 »
Sorry, I haven't read through all the pages (at work supposedly  :p)...

Just looking through that order form:

Does the SS case have the plate with removable switchtops?

Also, when it says "full case", that just refers to the number of layers, right? I don't want the fullhand ergodox, just the smaller one.

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #258 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 23:36:54 »
Full case is all 10 layers vs Minimalist which is the switch layer and the base.  Extended Minimalist is Layers 1, 3, and 5 or base, switch, and top.  The classic case is the smaller form factor as apposed to the full hand. 

The plate Dorkvader posted pics of looks like it has the cutouts to open switches without de-soldering.  AKmalamute would be able to confirm it.
DK9008 MX Blues | CM QFR MX Blues | CM XT MX Greens

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #259 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 01:17:13 »
Well, I guess I will be buying the massdrop set instead of finding everything myself.  Hope to get the minimalist some time soon AK! 
Hi :)

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Metal Ergodox proceeds a [glacial] pace.
« Reply #260 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 12:08:20 »
The plate Dorkvader posted pics of looks like it has the cutouts to open switches without de-soldering.  AKmalamute would be able to confirm it.
Technically it would depend on where we got it. The .dxf I have, is the widely distributed one which has the cutouts but we (I) were looking at watejet, which would badly smudge those cutouts

We're back to looking at lasers, which have the precision to mainatain the cutouts. Haven't heard from the big city shop but prices are better if the local shop (who did the work before) can be convinced to accept our business -- or fix their laser cutter, whichever the problem actually is.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #261 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 12:22:21 »
Technically it would depend on where we got it. The .dxf I have, is the widely distributed one which has the cutouts but we (I) were looking at watejet, which would badly smudge those cutouts

We're back to looking at lasers, which have the precision to mainatain the cutouts. Haven't heard from the big city shop but prices are better if the local shop (who did the work before) can be convinced to accept our business -- or fix their laser cutter, whichever the problem actually is.

hmmm   what about small circles instead of square edges for the switch tool cutout.

or ovals even,   cuz all we need is the Clearance.. precision angles are not necessary.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #262 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 12:27:57 »
hmmm   what about small circles instead of square edges for the switch tool cutout.

or ovals even,   cuz all we need is the Clearance.. precision angles are not necessary.
I'd be in favor, but the waterjet shop wanted $32 per piece of metal -- a case would be $320.

Plus tax, shipping, PP -- it was too ugly to follow up on.

EDIT: I hope to have news Sunday night. Apparently the local laser shop tried getting work from the same waterjet shop, and got the same not-reasonable quotes. On the bright side now that the project manager is hearing me talk of the competition he's going to, I think, work a bit harder to get us back on the queue.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 May 2014, 15:04:55 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Online dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #263 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 15:59:51 »

I'd be in favor, but the waterjet shop wanted $32 per piece of metal -- a case would be $320.

Plus tax, shipping, PP -- it was too ugly to follow up on.

EDIT: I hope to have news Sunday night. Apparently the local laser shop tried getting work from the same waterjet shop, and got the same not-reasonable quotes. On the bright side now that the project manager is hearing me talk of the competition he's going to, I think, work a bit harder to get us back on the queue.

I love better news.

thanks for all the work you put into these. I will definitely be ordering a set in round2 when it happens (if I can afford it)

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Yes, the News is Good
« Reply #264 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 16:26:59 »
FINALLY Project Manager has looked at the kits, including full-hand, and given me a quote

Its always possible it'll turn out he was wrong but he was pretty close last time.

Same logic as before but I'm separating shipping and production costs, now that I have an idea what that will run.

FIRST: costs to the shop:
Aluminum, $35.50, $14.25 for the minimalist or $20.50 for the extended minimalist. Spacer kit $30.50 or $34.85 depending (about $4 each copy, plus tax, and it adds a few cents to the shipping cost but not much I'd assume).
FULL HAND will be on the menu this round, and: $39 for all ten pieces. $16/$23, as I understand it, for mini / ext-mini versions. (note, again, spacers' shape: the classic case; we don't have fullhand spacers at the moment)

Stainless Steel: $61/$28/$40 {$61/$70} $66.50/$30/$45 in the same order as listed above for 6061.

Shipping: please warn me if you're not in the states. Most orders went out last time for about $10-13 aluminum, and nearly $15 for stainless but that was across the whole continent so ... I'm approximating those numbers by saying $12 for your first case, add $2 for SS or $2 for more cases -- I probably have to double the effect for a second SS case, too. I'll look again at the postal services' flat rate boxes so I know where the upper limit to that game is.

While the international order we had last round was well over $25 to ship, several other countries I've looked at could fall into that range so that's my starting point. As I'm trying not to inflate shipping I'm listing the "low" number but if you're used to paying more for shipping from the US you probably will for this GB too. The shop manager said it wouldn't be unreasonable to drop-ship your kit straight from the plant via UPS but there's be paperwork on my part -- let me know if you want to pursue that particular route.

Don't forget I'll add 3.5% PP-tax when I create the invoice, and that should be it.

I'm off to edit the OP then I'm off to ride horses. Hope those of you on your day off are having a great weekend!

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline geniekid

Re: Yes, the News is Good
« Reply #265 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 19:50:21 »
From the OP:

I still have all the orders added to the form while I was investigating the waterjet shop; feel free to PM if using this laser shop changes anything.

Does this mean those of us who submitted orders don't need to do anything extra to stay in this GB?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: Yes, the News is Good
« Reply #266 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 20:01:30 »
From the OP:

I still have all the orders added to the form while I was investigating the waterjet shop; feel free to PM if using this laser shop changes anything.

Does this mean those of us who submitted orders don't need to do anything extra to stay in this GB?

That's right. I assume you're still interested so if current prices look good, I'll invoice "soon" and in due course you'll get your case.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline clickclack123

Re: [GB] 16ga metal ergodox cases -- Round two happening now
« Reply #267 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 20:05:03 »
I'm in for an aluminum minimalist to Australia!  Thanks AKMalamute!! ;D

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #268 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 20:06:13 »
HALLELUJAH!
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 June 2014, 20:50:13 by slickmamba »

Offline yuiop

« Reply #269 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 21:55:45 »
Great news!

I'd like to revise my order.  I'd imagine the easiest way is to submit a new order.  When I do, can you please disregard my old one?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #270 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 23:56:38 »

I think that's one of the "farther countries" -- but I'll investigate. Spacers? Minimalist kit doesn't weigh much it's less than half a kilo. Glad to be of service.

Great news!

I'd like to revise my order.  I'd imagine the easiest way is to submit a new order.  When I do, can you please disregard my old one?
Can do.

Quote from: Slickmamba
HALLELUJAH!
You were going to put the Teensy underneath the left hand, correct?

...I think all you need is a minimalist case and seven spacers, but I'm feeling fuzzy right now so I'll post to the group: Would swapping the right upper for the left lower, and moving one of the "extra" above the PCB in "other" cases so that it's below the PCB, be enough for everything to fit smoothly?

Brainstorm: you may need one more spacer than you think you need. I was looking at my case today, and it occurred to me that JD's spacer might fit around the PCB. This is a very good thing for stability but the count of seven assumes, if I recall, that the PCB will be a fully fledged and participating member of the case -- if the spacer fits neatly around it, that will make that assumption completely true at the expense of a spacer.

I don't know, because I haven't seen them. I'll post pictures when I have them in my hand so this question can be answered by all.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #271 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 00:10:39 »

...I think all you need is a minimalist case and seven spacers, but I'm feeling fuzzy right now so I'll post to the group: Would swapping the right upper for the left lower, and moving one of the "extra" above the PCB in "other" cases so that it's below the PCB, be enough for everything to fit smoothly?

Brainstorm: you may need one more spacer than you think you need. I was looking at my case today, and it occurred to me that JD's spacer might fit around the PCB. This is a very good thing for stability but the count of seven assumes, if I recall, that the PCB will be a fully fledged and participating member of the case -- if the spacer fits neatly around it, that will make that assumption completely true at the expense of a spacer.

I don't know, because I haven't seen them. I'll post pictures when I have them in my hand so this question can be answered by all.

yessir :)  I was assuming that the spacers fit around the pcb, I don't see why they wouldn't.  So I would need to account for the increased height of the pcb from the left hand teensy.  I have no clue what the height of the teensy is so I would need to ask someone.  Dorkvader? 

I'm not really in a rush anymore, so take your time :)  Thank you!

I may just end up soldering the teensy on the top inverted rather than on the back. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 June 2014, 00:16:08 by slickmamba »

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #272 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 02:02:37 »

I think that's one of the "farther countries" -- but I'll investigate. Spacers? Minimalist kit doesn't weigh much it's less than half a kilo. Glad to be of service.

Doesn't get much further...

I don't need spacers, I actually like the "open" look where you can see the insides...

Offline yuiop

« Reply #273 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 19:43:46 »
Order re-submitted.  please destroy my old one.

JD's spacers fit around the pcb for sure.  I think we should go with 8 spacers.  3 can go between the top and the middle(plate). 5 between the middle and the bottom.

Online dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #274 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 06:37:16 »

yessir :)  I was assuming that the spacers fit around the pcb, I don't see why they wouldn't.  So I would need to account for the increased height of the pcb from the left hand teensy.  I have no clue what the height of the teensy is so I would need to ask someone.  Dorkvader? 

I'm not really in a rush anymore, so take your time :)  Thank you!

I may just end up soldering the teensy on the top inverted rather than on the back. 

I put the teensy above the LH, so I could have room for a socket.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #275 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 15:52:38 »
Okay I'm at work and don't have time to check what's updated and what's not, but I'm pretty sure 1st/2nd posts are accurate.

A couple orders via PM-only, and we're at about ten cases for each metal. I'm going to create invoices this weekend, give everybody a week to pay I guess, during which time last-minuters can get in too, then send in the order.

But in the mean time I'm going to drive out there at lunch to see how close to production the spacer order is. Should be done by now if he hasn't slipped us down the line any.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #276 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 16:59:31 »
Woo excited!  What do you have me down for AK? 

Offline witbliz

« Reply #277 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 03:17:48 »
Anybody having pictures of the final product ? Both minimal and classic ? If I buy classic can it also be minimal by removing a few plates ?

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #278 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 08:15:09 »
DorkVader posted a photo of the classic plate here http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55651.msg1284878#msg1284878

Minimal is just the middle and bottom layers of a complete case, either in the classic or the full hand shape.

Offline witbliz

« Reply #279 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 12:28:44 »
Thanks zflamewing.. I missed those posts when I was overseas.. im up for it !! Looks great

Offline oystein.krog

« Reply #280 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 14:04:36 »
I posted some pictures of mine earlier in the thread.

Offline tbc

« Reply #281 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 22:45:23 »
akm, did you get my order?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #282 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 00:49:01 »
akm, did you get my order?
I didn't create a spreadsheet entry, and I didn't save the last PM I sent you. What I have, is notes for a full hand case, with spacer kit, all in stainless steel.

Just one case, or were you wanting a second case is 'classic' ? I hadn't thought so but something about my notes makes me think you were hoping for that.

I'll create the entry now for one FH case in stainless and you can PM if that's wrong ;)

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline tbc

« Reply #283 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 00:55:39 »
pm sent :)

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #284 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 23:56:11 »
Here's a small update, and why I haven't created invoices today. I'm off work tomorrow, and I spoke with the shop guy Friday who said, since they were so backlogged he'd send my job off to their other site, and expected them by courier Monday -- that would be the spacers that no one's seen physical copies of because no one's made them yet.

It's remotely possible that the project manager is holding off having the small order of spacers cut because I said I was seriously gearing up for another real order (in which case he wants to have one cutting job, not two) -- not sure how I feel about that, if it turns out to be true but he really did cut our cases for round one, so I'd probably go ahead with billing if I can't show you guys pictures tomorrow afternoon / evening.

HOPEFULLY I can show you guys pictures of the spacer layer as-cut, and we can all decide how many for our respective cases we'll need to make everything fit.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #285 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 00:02:07 »
Here's hoping that the spacers miraculously appear tomorrow! :D

But seriously, if you don't get anything from him regarding the spacers by tomorrow, you should try to convey to him that the only thing holding up you placing the new, sizeable order is the need to physically inspect those spacers before you can proceed. Maybe that will get him to move on it for you.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Round two happening now
« Reply #286 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 14:51:17 »
I've created about half the invoices; more after work.

No, I haven't seen the spacers but he insists their other shop has cut them. Since that's "only" about two, maybe three hours (granted, each way) I can threaten to drive down there and pick them up myself. But he did say that if they're not en route today, he'll have them UPS 'em to my door -- so, really -- very soon. Or else.

I think I'll quote Cave Johnson: "I like your grip, son. Hustle could use some work though. now lets SOLVE THIS THING"

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #287 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 15:15:04 »
What is looking like the cut off time for this round?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #288 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 15:44:26 »
What is looking like the cut off time for this round?
I'm wanting to place the order Monday, so "about a week" unless zeitgeist or real-life express opposing opinions.

Edit: just realized we have a user by that name. No, I meant "hive mind" or "generally stated opinion of 'everybody'"

In completely unrelated news, I just figured out how and where to order brand new plate-mount Cherry stabilizers. This calls for a bookmark.

So, edit the thirde: June 11th. Spacer kits fell through the cracks again. But I think I got the manager in trouble because I called the other site, who had not cut his parts, so I really am in the queue this time. Pretty sure.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 June 2014, 17:29:15 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline geniekid

« Reply #289 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 11:15:58 »
Paid!  I have my ergodox all soldered except for the switches.  Very much looking forward to this :)

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #290 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 20:08:32 »
Paid!
 :D

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #291 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 23:32:22 »
Paid!

US$14.25 for metal that was dug out of rock, crushed and melted into shape using extreme temperatures, then cut with a computer-controlled laser to an amazing tolerance.

US$25 just to get it to Australia.

Postage is a scam.

Offline tbc

« Reply #292 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 23:39:05 »
paid!!!

ps, i've never gotten stuff from seattle to bc before.

anyone know how long that usually takes?

i need to show my ergodox to somebody and would like to get it encased in metal by then.  but it's honestly not a big deal.  curious more than anything.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #293 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 23:54:04 »
Ordered an extended minimalist!

I can't believe I just found this now, I have been looking for exactly this. :)

I am happy to see that my minimalist case concept has inspired others. :)

Offline EppyKay

« Reply #294 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 00:44:31 »
Just received and paid my invoice.

I can't wait to see what the full hand looks like in person.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #295 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 07:21:36 »
I am looking to build my first hand wired keyboard with this and the Enabler PCBS. My main question is how to extend the matrix between the two sides. I am planning to use a teensy for this. I am assuming that I will need to connect one wire for each row and column from the non teensy side to the teensy side. Thats a lot of wires (maybe even more than an RJ45), so is there a way to simplify that?

Maybe I should start my own thread for this question?

Offline eviltobz

« Reply #296 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 09:04:20 »
check out some of the (admittedly huuuge) threads on the design of the ergodox. it uses an i2c chip to allow the teensy in the right hand to communicate with the switches on the left via only 4 wires. in the normal design this is the dreaded trrs cable & connectors that have been problematic for a number of ergodoxers, but that could be replaced with a sturdier socket like a phone jack, or just have a 4 connector wire permanently attached.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #297 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 09:14:32 »
check out some of the (admittedly huuuge) threads on the design of the ergodox. it uses an i2c chip to allow the teensy in the right hand to communicate with the switches on the left via only 4 wires. in the normal design this is the dreaded trrs cable & connectors that have been problematic for a number of ergodoxers, but that could be replaced with a sturdier socket like a phone jack, or just have a 4 connector wire permanently attached.

Thanks for the response.  When I have an hour or so I will do some research in those threads.  I will also look into finding an i2c chip.  Thanks...

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
E-Dox w/o PCB discussions
« Reply #298 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 11:41:27 »
I am looking to build my first hand wired keyboard with this and the Enabler PCBS.

It would be worth its own thread in making-stuff, yes, but:

One solution, if you didn't want to learn how to talk to an IO expander, would be to use a ribbon cable like from an old IDE hard drive. I believe the Ultra-DMA capable cables had 80 wires, although separating them is likely to be a complete pain BUT they were made in 3-foot lengths.
IF you had one, with no middle connectors, you could roll it up, and it would be a stout but otherwise unremarkable cable that would give you at least two feet between the two hands.

Of course, an IO expander would let you use a phone cord, and then you could embed that into your recliner. Add some bluefruit wireless modules and you could sit in your favorite easy chair, 'internetting' on the wide screen television.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline GSimon

« Reply #299 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 12:28:56 »
Can't wait for these plates!!

Am happy this is happening, nice to have a quality metal case for a the ergo.