Author Topic: Men of GH who dabble in high fashion - I need your suit-buying advice  (Read 14573 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
This will be my first ever suit. Initially needed for my brother's upcoming wedding, but also looking for something I could potentially wear for interviews and meetings as well. So I'm looking for a few pointers and tips on picking out something that will look great and stand the test of time.  I have a budget in mind ($400-600,) which I'll probably sell a few high-ticket keyboard items to reach.

I am like 75% sure I want it in a dark blue (lighter than navy, darker than blue) or a dark charcoal. Looking at 3-piece options since I really want a vest as well, maybe in a contrasting color.
2-button single-breasted, and will be getting it tailored.

Anything else I should keep aware of? Where does one even go (besides Men's Warehouse) to get a competitively priced nice tailored suit? Keep in mind I am a large man - 6'3 240lbs so a blindingly white polyester double breasted will make me look like televangelist.

Here's a few I really like design-wise (but are probably out of my budget)

this one I don't like the thin collars, or whatever you call them. Lapels?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Men of GH who dabble in high fashion - I need your suit-buying advice
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:04:37 »
Anything that brings out your waist, will look good..

if you do not have a waist.. then something which broaden the shoulders.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:12:18 »

If anything I would want to hide my waist.

Or maybe not? I know nothing about cutting suits.

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:18:37 »
I was in your shoes a few months ago and can provide some input as we are nearly the same body shape - 6'4'' 245lbs. I also was looking for a three piece, although when I tried on the vest I found that my body style did not work with it. For whatever reason, the vests that I tried made my torso look even shorter than it already is. I guess I wouldn't get your heart set on the vest although hopefully it works out better for you than it did for me  :thumb:

Also, bring the dress shoes you are going to wear when you try on the suits. If you don't have them yet you can most likely borrow a pair from the shop you are getting the suits from. The trend today is to wear suits that are slimmer fitting suits, which doesn't pan out too well for us bigger dudes. However, there are suits out there that are slim(ish) fitting in larger sizes which will elongate your body to make you look slimmer. 

I did end up getting my suits from Mens Warehouse and got a pretty decent deal - 2 suits (blue and black) of the same manufacturer/style for $700 + $100 gift card to use in the future.

Best of luck!

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:21:41 »
If you are looking for a 3-piece it means that you don't have to button the suit when use
this is very important as for 2 piece, you would be required to button the top button ONLY when standing, and open it when sitting

As for first suit, I would definitely get a basic colored one like dark grey or even blue, but remember blue suit would pair better with brown shoes, don't use black color shoes with it
or get something with light pattern like stripes, etc very light one if you wanna keep it classy and to hide waist :D

Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:24:47 »
If you are looking for a 3-piece it means that you don't have to button the suit when use
this is very important as for 2 piece, you would be required to button the top button ONLY when standing, and open it when sitting

As for first suit, I would definitely get a basic colored one like dark grey or even blue, but remember blue suit would pair better with brown shoes, don't use black color shoes with it
or get something with light pattern like stripes, etc very light one if you wanna keep it classy and to hide waist :D

Agreed with the brown shoes! IMO one of the best suit combos is Blue suit + light blue shirt + red tie + light brown shoes/belt.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:25:36 »

If anything I would want to hide my waist.

Or maybe not? I know nothing about cutting suits.

gym hides your waist also
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline scubaste

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:29:01 »
You can use this site to mock up a variety of options and get an idea of what you like. I bought one from them and was satisfied with the results. 
http://www.tailor4less.com/en/men/custom-suits/configure

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:51:26 »
These are some great tips. I'm actually keeping a spreadsheet on suit buying tips, thanks doc and Jok :)

I am indeed leaning towards either blue suit w/ a salmon or red tie and light-blue shirt, or charcoal w/ light-blue shirt and navy tie. Not sure about the shoes, I was actually considering wearing tennis shoes. Is that a faux pas if they are very clean? Initially I had my heart set on a green tie, but can't get the colors to match.

Also considering light pinstripe but want to avoid looking like some mafioso (difficult for an intimidatingly sized man not to look like a thug when wearing a suit)
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:53:58 by noisyturtle »

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:53:53 »
These are some great tips. I'm actually keeping a spreadsheet on suit buying tips, thanks doc and Jok :)

I am indeed leaning towards either blue suit w/ a salmon or red tie and light-blue shirt, or charcoal w/ light-blue shirt and navy tie. Not sure about the shoes, I was actually considering wearing tennis shoes. Is that a faux pas if they are very clean?

Also considering light pinstripe but want to avoid looking like some mafioso (difficult for an intimidatingly sized man not to look like a thug when wearing a suit)

Just my opinion, but if you're going to wear a suit you might as well wear a nice pair of shoes  :thumb:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:55:29 »
I see some guys wearing clean 3-piece suits with bright tennis shoes as a style. The comfort aspect appeals to me, and additionally I never wear dress shoes so they would only see use maybe 4-5x a year.

I dunno how fashion-mined people feel about the Sienfield look though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:56:44 »
I see some guys wearing clean 3-piece suits with bright tennis shoes as a style. The comfort aspect appeals to me, and additionally I never wear dress shoes so they would only see use maybe 4-5x a year.

Are you exceedingly good looking, such that you can look good wearing anything, and people cower to judge you?

hahahahaha

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:59:02 »
Well ****. How much are nice shoes then? Like another $100 or so? Should I buy them at the same joint I buy the suit?

I have so many questions about dressing like an adult  :confused:

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:59:28 »

I dunno how fashion-mined people feel about the Sienfield look though.

The pants cutting need to be right and on spot for you to wear a sneakers
It's not an easy thing to do, not all sneakers would go well with suit; only the classic looking one
and I rarely see 3 piece with sneakers

I would suggest that you get a cheap oxford shoes, it will get the job done better
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 20:18:44 »
I highly suggest a pair of Clarks to go with the suit. A nice black pair of some kind. I think they're affordable and they've got models that pair well with suits.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 00:39:53 »
if you are going to get a dark blue suit, you would want to wear it with deep brown oxford, not derby.
also, go get full wool suit, they look so much better than polyester.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 01:04:23 »
Don't get a vest that contrast, get a vest that compliments.

Your watch, belt, tie, or pocket hankie should be highlights

Modest & Refined > Flashy and Eyecatching

I'd agree a good pair of shoes, even if they are cheap, go better with a suit than sneakers. Sneakers + suit make you look like you are going to be on set for a rap/hip hop music video

And get real leather shoes too, get a good pair and you only have to buy once, if someone knows anything about shoes, they can tell faux leather instantly. Leather shoes aren't that expensive if you look in the right places

Also keep in mind that only few people can pull off stubble. Bite the bullet and shave your face if you don't otherwise you will just look unkept.

A nice white shirt, or light blue shirt goes well with blue suit, I have seen so many people wear wine red shirts with a black suit and they look like a ASUS motherboard. Also seen people wear rodeo shirts... Do not ever do this, its not the wild wild west

Also this is a really good site if you are looking into dressing appropriately and personal upkeep: http://www.artofmanliness.com/

I like this one the best as well

Source of knowledge: went to a private school for 5 years and had to wear a suit every day... RIP
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 April 2016, 01:07:15 by jaffers »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 01:48:01 »

I have seen so many people wear wine red shirts with a black suit and they look like a ASUS motherboard.

:))

Offline iri

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 04:25:39 »
I strongly suggest not to wear tennis shoes (or, heaven forbid, sneakers) with a suit.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 04:43:07 »
What is your build like?

For example:
Matt Bomer pulls off thin everything because of how skinny and chiseled he is. (first pic guy)

I have a 3-piece in dark grey that I copped for a formal wedding when I refused to rent a tux. Beauty is that I can choose whether or not to wear the vest as the jacket buttons up high enough.

When working in real estate, I used to cop all my suits at bloomingdales. Only after I didn't need so many suits anymore did I find a local mom-n-pop with competitive prices and much more attention to detail. Problem with that is you need an IRL recommendation of such a place so you know their **** is right. I wouldn't go blind guessing into any small biz tailor in a strip mall.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 07:44:22 »
Fit is king when it comes to suits. If the suit doesn't fit properly in the shoulders when you get it initially, there's a good chance it won't look good even tailored.

Here's a solid infographic when it comes to fits:

You may want to check out JCrew, as their suits are pretty well reviewed. As far as shoes go, I'd recommend investing in a nice pair, as it'll make a world of difference as far as your look goes. Depending on what you're looking to spend on the shoes, I'd recommend some Allen Edmonds if you're looking for the pricier router, or some Clarks or Florsheims for the lower end of the budget.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 07:53:58 »
Brook's Brothers has great suits but they are pricey. If you are gonna use it frequently and for the wedding you mentioned I suggest going to Brook's Brothers. You can get one selected their and tailored there as well I believe.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 08:00:09 »
Brook's Brothers has great suits but they are pricey. If you are gonna use it frequently and for the wedding you mentioned I suggest going to Brook's Brothers. You can get one selected their and tailored there as well I believe.

Second this, they've got some great stuff here, and tons of different cuts.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 08:08:34 »

Second this, they've got some great stuff here, and tons of different cuts.

Yeah, the different cuts are definitely a big thing for me because of my height and body type. I need to get a suit from them as well soon.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 08:14:28 »
Fitting shouldn't be a huge issue if you're going somewhere nice. They will have an in-house tailor to help you.

Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain every suit you've pictured is above your budget, but you can get very similar looking suits for much less. I like the first and second picture the best, but I'm a sucker for wool.

And yes. Please god no tennis shoes with a three piece suit T_T especially at a wedding...

Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 08:22:00 »
I like this thread for the pics of Matt Bomer. That guy is so goddamn good looking it is stupid.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 08:43:40 »
I like this thread for the pics of Matt Bomer. That guy is so goddamn good looking it is stupid.

Agreed.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 08:44:26 »
I'm just going to say if you don't have any other suits, you want your first to be versatile. Since this is also a wedding, I'd go for charcoal over navy. Navy is more casual, which may not be good for some occasions whereas charcoal is good for anything. Pinstriping is also more casual, so choose as you desire here.

Get oxfords, not sneakers. You don't start off by breaking fashion rules, you want to understand them first, ya dig?

I saw you were considering a navy tie and charcoal suit, I would personally go with just a nice white shirt and probably a black tie, maybe you can get a patterned tie if the suit isn't striped. Shirt color is also hard to judge since I don't know how formal of a wedding this may be. Pocket squares are also a good way to add a touch of color and uniqueness without getting too crazy.

Unfortunately I can't offer fitting advice since we're very different sizes. However, a good store will have a person to take your measurements and offer advice, so don't worry about going in not necessarily knowing 100% of what you want.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 08:45:29 »
It's easy to look good in Anything you wear when you look that damn good.  :))

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 08:47:39 »

I saw you were considering a navy tie and charcoal suit, I would personally go with just a nice white shirt and probably a black tie,

Sorry to ugly up the thread, but this is my most recent. Charcoal 3 piece, white shirt, black tie for a formal (black tie requested) wedding.

I used to rock slim lapels and ties when I was 145 lbs. Adjusted stylee when I hit 200.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 11:38:36 »
Try to feel the suit ..

Ultimately fashion is an attempt to visually draw to the surface an emotional response..

Be careful with lists like,  Confidence, Sex, Intelligence,   Those are things the marketers want to say, because it sells clothing.. But they might not be appropriate and do not completely reflect your image or lifestyle..

So, if a person picked a suit simply based on the marketing design of that suit worn by ANOTHER PERSON, many times, the audience leans on terms like 'poser' or 'fraud'..

The lifestyle makes the man, the man makes the suit.

Any break in this chain, and one may find themselves in the uncanny..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 12:02:44 »
Another strategy some people take is, "ffff it", it's my money, I can wear whatever I want..

I won't name names, or point out any threads, but there are many of you guys here at geekhack.

However when a person puts on inappropriate clothes, it does not convey the right message.   

This in no way conflict with the physical ability to wear that piece of clothing. It's a certainty you can put it on yourself, yes.

Ultimately that person is doing a disservice to himself because he is consciously choosing to ignore the sensibilities of the audience, FOR who he wears clothing at all.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 12:04:51 »
Another strategy some people take is, "ffff it", it's my money, I can wear whatever I want..

I won't name names, or point out any threads, but there are many of you guys here at geekhack.

However when a person puts on inappropriate clothes, it does not convey the right message.   

This in no way conflict with the physical ability to wear that piece of clothing. It's a certainty you can put it on yourself, yes.

Ultimately that person is doing a disservice to himself because he is consciously choosing to ignore the sensibilities of the audience, FOR who he wears clothing at all.

Damn, TP4 hit it on the head.

Offline Blackehart

• Booty Aficionado Extraordinaire
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 12:16:48 »
Two words: Royal Purple.

;D

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
  • I specialize in bird law.
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 19:28:12 »
Be sure to budget in a matching shirt, watch, cuff links, tie clip, shoes. It's all about the complete outfit, your wasting on a nice suit if you can't support it throughout the rest of your outfit. I'm not saying spend an arm and a leg on this stuff- you don't need an expensive matching watch/ cuff links- but you should have cuff links and a watch that match.
Hi, what's your favorite color?
I'm making keycaps, take a look if you give a damn.
Sale Thread

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 19:29:38 »
Be sure to budget in a matching shirt, watch, cuff links, tie clip, shoes. It's all about the complete outfit, your wasting on a nice suit if you can't support it throughout the rest of your outfit. I'm not saying spend an arm and a leg on this stuff- you don't need an expensive matching watch/ cuff links- but you should have cuff links and a watch that match.

Hi Dodgy, I am ugly, should I even bother dressing up ?  I am not able to thoroughly support the outfit ...

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
  • I specialize in bird law.
Men of GH who dabble in high fashion - I need your suit-buying advice
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 19:32:20 »

Hi Dodgy, I am ugly, should I even bother dressing up ?  I am not able to thoroughly support the outfit ...
Show Image

I think your beautiful.
Ha sorry- didn't mean to come off as pretentious, shoulda read that over before I posted it worded like that- but I do think the details I mentioned are important when it comes to a new suit.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 April 2016, 19:58:14 by Dodgy »
Hi, what's your favorite color?
I'm making keycaps, take a look if you give a damn.
Sale Thread

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 21:17:41 »

For cuff links you need a specific type of shirt, yes? Does the suit jacket need to be a certain type as well? Should the cuff links hang outside the jacket sleeve when your arms are at your side, or do they go higher in the jacket to where you never really see them? These might be stupid questions, but inquiring minds want to know.

I will be foregoing a matching watch due to price, but probably will be getting a simple brushed metal tie clip (or possible a wooden one to match the brown shoes.)

I used to rock slim lapels and ties when I was 145 lbs. Adjusted stylee when I hit 200.

You look great man, a good looking suit does go a long way and I mean that in no offense  ;)

I was thinking the same thing - thin lapels don't work with broad bodies. Good to have it confirmed and avoid the mistake of getting thin lapels.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 April 2016, 21:22:22 by noisyturtle »

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 23:51:44 »

For cuff links you need a specific type of shirt, yes? Does the suit jacket need to be a certain type as well? Should the cuff links hang outside the jacket sleeve when your arms are at your side, or do they go higher in the jacket to where you never really see them? These might be stupid questions, but inquiring minds want to know.

I will be foregoing a matching watch due to price, but probably will be getting a simple brushed metal tie clip (or possible a wooden one to match the brown shoes.)

You look great man, a good looking suit does go a long way and I mean that in no offense  ;)

I was thinking the same thing - thin lapels don't work with broad bodies. Good to have it confirmed and avoid the mistake of getting thin lapels.

the kind of shirt that uses cuff link is french cuff shirt.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 10:33:20 »
This will be my first ever suit. Initially needed for my brother's upcoming wedding, but also looking for something I could potentially wear for interviews and meetings as well. So I'm looking for a few pointers and tips on picking out something that will look great and stand the test of time.  I have a budget in mind ($400-600,) which I'll probably sell a few high-ticket keyboard items to reach.

I am like 75% sure I want it in a dark blue (lighter than navy, darker than blue) or a dark charcoal. Looking at 3-piece options since I really want a vest as well, maybe in a contrasting color.
2-button single-breasted, and will be getting it tailored.

Anything else I should keep aware of? Where does one even go (besides Men's Warehouse) to get a competitively priced nice tailored suit? Keep in mind I am a large man - 6'3 240lbs so a blindingly white polyester double breasted will make me look like televangelist.

Here's a few I really like design-wise (but are probably out of my budget)
(Attachment Link)
this one I don't like the thin collars, or whatever you call them. Lapels?

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

Um, not to be curmudgeonly, but your weight is not exactly representative of the models you linked.

I just can't imagine any of these guys (160lbs? 140lbs?) as 240lbs and still looking the same.

Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 20:05:26 »
Many people have good advice in this thread.  Stuff I agree with *strongly*: Go for charcoal grey instead of dark blue if you only have one suit.  Go for dark suit, light shirt, dark tie.  Wear real shoes, especially with a 3 piece. 

For buying: I'd avoid places like Mens Warehouse and JoA Banks.  They deal in volume, and are only an OK buy when they have a sale for buy one get two free or some similar silliness.  I feel like Brooks Bros is the sweet spot for most things: they have great selection, good prices for the quality, and most importantly sales help and tailors who actually know what they are doing.  I've found dept. stores to be hit-and-miss with the tailoring.

The best suits on a budget are going to be done by traveling tailors who will take your measurements, have you pick your fabrics, and then have your clothes made-to-measure in the far east.  I will not buy a suit, or a shirt, anymore that isn't made to my measurements.  Sure, you can get your suit tailored, but if your shirt has the wrong sleeve length, then it looks like your jacket doesn't fit.  I can't stress enough that the tailoring is by far the most important thing in making a suit look good, and nothing will ever be tailored as well as something that is made to measure.  Check around in your area, search style and clothing forums, and see if you can find a haberdasher/traveling tailor who deals in these types of things.  I think you can just make it in with that budget, but honestly, it's going to be a tight squeeze for anything good.

Additional notes, since you seem to be interested in how to make a suit style your own. Suit style is all about the subtleties.  You can see it in some of the pictures you selected.  One person tied a full windsor (perfectly symmetrical knot) one is a half windsor, and the other is a four-in-hand (very rough knot and the collar unbuttoned to boot).  I will wear open-lace brogues with a 3-piece for everyday work, but if I have a presentation to the board I'll wear the park avenues (closed lace cap toes).  Sneakers with a suit screams "I want to project my style, but I don't have any clue what I'm doing", while a strongly contrasting pocket square says "I'm interesting, ask me more".  It, very unfortunately, takes time wearing the clothes, and a not insignificant amount of money to acquire them, but it does make a difference.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 03:53:54 »
You can't be a different body type and weight (i.e. much heavier), and still expect to look like any of the models/actors you posted. Also it would help to smell nice (FRESH and clean, not doused in fragrance), and shower periodically (at least once a day), you know, because good hygiene is very important for people to enjoy being around you, and helps make it pleasant to be around you.

Suit wise, definitely don't buy any striped patterns or any textures that might make your large shape (waist) more apparent. Ask the shop assistant to help find a suit that would suit your body type. They're there to help you, and generally are knowledgeable enough to help you pick out something good.

If you really want to look good in a suit, you should focus on getting fit, and looking healthy/good in the first place.

Bonus: Make sure to impress your present company by telling them about the time when you didn't send out a Secret Santa present. Cause you know, that's good manners and respectful etiquette when you're participating in a gift exchange.

P.S. Suits aren't exactly high fashion...
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 April 2016, 03:56:38 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 22:47:26 »
The absolute worst thing you can do is have a suit that isn't fitted well. People with larger bodies (haven't seen you so I'm not really sure how it's spread out or fat/muscle) should still get a suit just as tailored as a slimmer person. When you wear an ill-fitted, baggy suit, it makes you look substantially bigger.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 16:12:31 »
Ahhhh forget it. Not getting a suit.

Just getting a dress shirt and slacks and maybe a vest.

The suit I'd want would be far more than I'm comfortable spending on an item of clothing I'd wear maybe once or twice a year.

At least it'll be nice to own a piece of clothing that's not just jeans and a t-shirt.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 16:14:45 »

The suit I'd want would be far more than I'm comfortable spending on an item of clothing I'd wear maybe once or twice a year.

At least it'll be nice to own a piece of clothing that's not just jeans and a t-shirt.

Wow lad. Spend so much on keyboards but nothin on a suit

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 16:24:45 »

Wow lad. Spend so much on keyboards but nothin on a suit

Don't need a suit.

I need keyboards.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 17:53:48 »
So I was in to get a new suit made and struck out on finding a cloth like what I had in mind (chocolate brown with sky blue chalk stripes or window panes). Then I thought about this thread, some of the suits pictured and was like "what if I go for something blue and really bold?"  Found a fabric, went all in on contrasting stitching, and had plenty of nervous time thinking "I might have gone a little too far". I typically wear very subdued clothes. This was way out of my comfort zone. Apologies for the potato pic, but I think it turned out well:

I'm not sure about the tie... I have more options incoming. Most of my ties are patterned, which really won't work with a suit this busy. Happy with the end result generally, and many positive comments from coworkers.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 17:57:37 »
That material us awesome.

Tie needs to be tighter ;) but I know what you mean about the colour. Maybe something brighter.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin