Author Topic: Do you guys still "PLAY" single player games?  (Read 7528 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Do you guys still "PLAY" single player games?
« on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 15:44:18 »
Got a couple of single player games in my back log..

I start them, and in the back of my mind... I'm itching to just watch someone else play through it on Youtube...

Why bother...  The progression is predetermined... And you can find most of the "secret" endings on youtube as well...

Why put in the work playing the game myself...

That is to say.. I've outsourced my gaming...

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Do you guys still "PLAY" single player games?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 15:46:28 »
Who even plays games these days?

Offline theeattre

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 15:51:12 »
why read a book? the progression is predetermined and i can listen to someone else read it to me.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 15:55:36 »

I start them, and in the back of my mind... I'm itching to just watch someone else play through it on Youtube...

Why bother...  The progression is predetermined... And you can find most of the "secret" endings on youtube as well...

Show Image

If you're itching to watch some yahoo play the game for you while jabbering all over it then that's an issue with you, not with singleplayer games.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 15:55:39 »
why read a book? the progression is predetermined and i can listen to someone else read it to me.

Choose Your Own Adventure.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 15:56:14 »

Well, many people have switched to "audio book" for entertainment-reading...

As far as the "task" of reading itself.. I do believe reading it yourself is faster than the audio book.. if your goal is "completion"..   

And Obviously if you need to Learn a complex task for the job... you'd still read the book/manual..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 15:57:08 »

Show Image

If you're itching to watch some yahoo play the game for you while jabbering all over it then that's an issue with you, not with singleplayer games.

ah... they have ones with "no commentary"... clearly you're out of touch with the pace youtube has moved...

and for the most part, the commentary isn't "that bad"...

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 16:00:10 »

Show Image

ah... they have ones with "no commentary"... clearly you're out of touch with the pace youtube has moved...
Show Image

" HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA" " WTF WAS THAT" -Youtube walkthrough commentator

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 16:02:36 »

Show Image

Show Image

sometimes the guy who plays the game has some commentary.. but it's the usual text, like, OMG wtf, oh **** no-he-did-nt.. awwwwhhh----shiiiiiiitt.. omfg, rage quit.. stay tuned for the next video...

Nothing that "you urself" wouldn't say had you been playing the game.  so, it's not really disruptive... for the most part.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 16:09:41 »
Solitaire's a pretty good single-player game.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 16:13:19 »

solitaire is not a game.

it's a life lesson...

You can stack these cards all you want... sooner or later, they're gonna fall on ya..

This applies to all manners of "human-collections", be it wealth, status, keyboards, OLD COMPUTER PARTS/ software.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 16:15:12 »

Show Image

Show Image

sometimes the guy who plays the game has some commentary.. but it's the usual text, like, OMG wtf, oh **** no-he-did-nt.. awwwwhhh----shiiiiiiitt.. omfg, rage quit.. stay tuned for the next video...

Nothing that "you urself" wouldn't say had you been playing the game.  so, it's not really disruptive... for the most part.

When I play games I shut up and enjoy the scenery while trying to beat the level making some grunting noises. But I don't go WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO every other time something pops up

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 16:15:49 »

solitaire is not a game.

it's a life lesson...

You can stack these cards all you want... sooner or later, they're gonna fall on ya..

This applies to all manners of "human-collections", be it wealth, status, keyboards, OLD COMPUTER PARTS/ software.

To Microsoft it is.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 16:16:17 »

Show Image

Show Image

When I play games I shut up and enjoy the scenery while trying to beat the level making some grunting noises. But I don't go WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO every other time something pops up

neither does the commentator...  It's not always whoooooo... but there's SOME wh00000 involved.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 16:16:47 »

solitaire is not a game.

it's a life lesson...

To Microsoft it is.

hahahahaha

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 17:50:18 »
I still love single player games like The Last of Us, Skyrim, or any JRPG xD
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 17:50:38 »
"to be played" folder: 17 games

"playing" folder: 3 games

"played" folder: 4 games.

I need to stop playing GW2 and play some of these.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 17:56:16 »

now imagine... some one can level your character in GW2 FOR YOU... omg... heaven... while you just sit around and do this...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 17:56:29 »
Yes, but I don't have anywhere near as much time to play as I'd like.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 17:57:38 »

xactly... that's why I go to youtube...

I want to find out what happens to batman...  Now I'm thinking, a few more retries on this level, and grinding for another level up will take 2hrs...  OR I could go to Youtube.. and just find out what happens...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 18:01:27 »

I want to find out what happens to batman...  Now I'm thinking, a few more retries on this level, and grinding for another level up will take 2hrs...  OR I could go to Youtube.. and just find out what happens...
Show Image

I prefer to find out for myself.

I like exploring the game worlds, and sometimes wish the game maker allowed exploring areas outside the, often linear, path allowed by the game.

I use games to relax - I can switch my mind off and for a little while just enjoy the scenery.

No, I don't get out much ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 18:07:23 »

Show Image

I like exploring the game worlds, and sometimes wish the game maker allowed exploring areas outside the, often linear, path allowed by the game.

I use games to relax - I can switch my mind off and for a little while just enjoy the scenery.

I went outside today to get the mail... took a deep breath.. felt good... looked at the trees and tousled the leaves on the branches...   THEN I got mad... cuz I know these damn leaves are gonna fall off, and I'm gonna have to clean it up.... AGHHHHHHHH   Damn you outsideeeee......

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 18:09:27 »

Show Image

I went outside today to get the mail... took a deep breath.. felt good... looked at the trees and tousled the leaves on the branches...   THEN I got mad... cuz I know these damn leaves are gonna fall off, and I'm gonna have to clean it up.... AGHHHHHHHH   Damn you outsideeeee......
Show Image

What was the resolution like?

We have pretty good resolution over here, and the lighting is usually quite good.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 18:14:46 »

Show Image

Show Image

We have pretty good resolution over here, and the lighting is usually quite good.

aw, man it was awful... I didn't have my glasses on, so it was like the new ffff-ed up Depth of field filter in Deux Ex... BLURRRRRR...  total disappoint... 

It was also gloomy , guess god didn't care much for the color balance today... the gamma was not to my liking

I estimate I got 800x600 tops today..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 18:16:58 »

Show Image

Show Image

aw, man it was awful... I didn't have my glasses on, so it was like the new ffff-ed up Depth of field filter in Deux Ex... BLURRRRRR...  total disappoint... 

It was also gloomy , guess god didn't care much for the color balance today... the gamma was not to my liking

I estimate I got 800x600 tops today..

Show Image

Sounds like you are still using a 15" CRT monitor ;)

Offline regack

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 18:24:05 »
Meh, I like looking at time shifted videos of plants growing on YouTube so I don't have to spend as much time outside away from my single player games ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 18:25:16 »
Meh, I like looking at time shifted videos of plants growing on YouTube so I don't have to spend as much time outside away from my single player games ;)

There's two good ideas there!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 20:41:03 »
About 75% of what I play is single player. Why on Earth would I watch someone else play a game I've been looking forward to, when I can get the full experience first person. That's absolute insanity.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 20:55:28 »
About 75% of what I play is single player. Why on Earth would I watch someone else play a game I've been looking forward to, when I can get the full experience first person. That's absolute insanity.

Why do you want the full experience?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 21:16:49 »

now imagine... some one can level your character in GW2 FOR YOU... omg... heaven... while you just sit around and do this...
Show Image

But leveling is the best part :(

I did actually boot up skyrim and play that for a few hours.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 21:49:12 »
About the only time I will seek an online video of someone else playing a game is if I want to get into a certain area, but after multiple tries cannot figure it out.  This does not happen too often.

Or to see a speedrun, but only after I have finished the game.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 23:18:06 »

Because that's the only way one can truly judge an interactive art  form to it's fullest representation.

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 23:18:59 »
I'm not very fond of speedruns... it kinda takes away from the single player experience and turns the game into a chore than needs to be done precisely... lol

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 23:22:51 »

Because that's the only way one can truly judge an interactive art  form to it's fullest representation.

I can't understand why you would bother to "judge" it...   After playing SO MANY video games myself...  There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in the Journey to completion.. It boils down to trading time away for the designed rewards system..

So what do you really "GET" that's new at the end.. "potentially"... the story, or a new take on the story...   

But the interactivity itself... I find it lame to be playing the 20th 3rd person game that's got the same mechanics with some new visuals.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 23:25:55 »
I'm not very fond of speedruns... it kinda takes away from the single player experience and turns the game into a chore than needs to be done precisely... lol

It also makes a mockery of the game author's intentions - instead of experiencing a fantastic boss fight, you jump on top of the scenery and walk around the entire scene to the exit point (HL2).

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 23:30:49 »

I can't understand why you would bother to "judge" it...   After playing SO MANY video games myself...  There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in the Journey to completion.. It boils down to trading time away for the designed rewards system..

So what do you really "GET" that's new at the end.. "potentially"... the story, or a new take on the story...   

But the interactivity itself... I find it lame to be playing the 20th 3rd person game that's got the same mechanics with some new visuals.

You'll get no argument from me about 'same-feelness' in the industry, but the idea that you liken playing games to being like how a rat might gaining access to cheese by completing a maze seems to tell me that you don't really like playing video games.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 23:33:31 »

You'll get no argument from me about 'same-feelness' in the industry, but the idea that you liken playing games to being like how a rat might gaining access to cheese by completing a maze seems to tell me that you don't really like playing video games.

First I must iterate that I love video-games, but there has been some growing out of

Turtle.. I don't think our perceptions are in conflict...

I am merely pointing out the fact that after having gone through enough gaming... there isn't much except the completion stat at the end, and w/e story they managed to impart..

And if THAT is what I am after...  why shouldn't I just short cut it using youtube..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 23:48:21 »

First I must iterate that I love video-games, but there has been some growing out of

I am merely pointing out the fact that after having gone through enough gaming... there isn't much except the completion stat at the end, and w/e story they managed to impart..

And if THAT is what I am after...  why shouldn't I just short cut it using youtube..

Well do you fast forward to the ending when watching a film, or skip to the last page when reading a book? Or rather, have someone fast forward for you really.
Then what's the point in even playing a game or saying you enjoy them? You saw the reviews and read the wiki, therefor you played the game? Or watched it through a let's play, that defeats the entire notion of what a video game is which is an interactive experience. It's hot media.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 23:54:08 »

Well do you fast forward to the ending when watching a film, or skip to the last page when reading a book? Or rather, have someone fast forward for you really.
Then what's the point in even playing a game or saying you enjoy them? You saw the reviews and read the wiki, therefor you played the game? Or watched it through a let's play, that defeats the entire notion of what a video game is which is an interactive experience. It's hot media.

That's the way it was meant to be consumed, I agree.

But let me give you an example..

You are being taught some basic 2nd order differential solves.. eventually you can do much of it in your head..

You are given an exercise book..

If they don't ask you to show your work..

Do you bother to write out everything..  OR do you just run it through your mind... and get the solution.... and hand it in for the resultant Cookie, with the stamp that says YOU WIN...

This is how I see video games, after having played so many of them thoroughly and to completion.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 00:01:21 »

You are being taught some basic 2nd order differential solves.. eventually you can do much of it in your head..

Do you bother to write out everything..  OR do you just run it through your mind... and get the solution.... and hand it in for the resultant Cookie, with the stamp that says YOU WIN...

This is how I see video games, after having played so many of them thoroughly and to completion.

Well I know a lot of designers, artists, and programmers that would be heartbroken over you outlook on video games but I don't think your in the majority with it. Have you tried slot machines?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 00:07:59 »

Well I know a lot of designers, artists, and programmers that would be heartbroken over you outlook on video games but I don't think your in the majority with it. Have you tried slot machines?

I think many people who do not, or have stopped playing video games intuitively adapts the way I've described...  Many people with large steam back logs.. I believe also demonstrate some similarities to this trend..

If machine gambling wasn't BY DESIGN forcing the player to lose, I'd probably consider it..

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 07:33:27 »
Good question Sir.
Seems that nowadays I'm playing only MMOs and online games ...
I love to play however playing alone is kinda boring!

This is a tendency?
Everybody connected into the matrix ...
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 09:22:31 »
Yes, I do. I play SC2 and Path of Exile occasionally. While both these games have multiplayer functionality, I find it most enjoyable to play by myself.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 10:00:28 »
Single player games aren't about the "stat" of completing, more about the entire experience of playing through the game. There's definitely a monotony in game design these days, I'll give you that, as most games are just boring after a few minutes of play. But occasionally a combination of setting, premise/story, and mechanics are just right and you get a truly entertaining game that's fun to play.

The best single player games (IMO) are the ones that have a really captivating story that ties well into the game play. Sure you can watch it unfold on YouTube, but you don't get the same experience as when you play through it yourself, the same emotional ups and downs and attachments. And a strong/well balance game mechanic will make it fun to keep playing so you can get the full experience.

To hazard a completely overused cliche: the journey is more important than the destination.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 12:06:30 »

I think many people who do not, or have stopped playing video games intuitively adapts the way I've described...  Many people with large steam back logs.. I believe also demonstrate some similarities to this trend..

If machine gambling wasn't BY DESIGN forcing the player to lose, I'd probably consider it..

All that machine gambling is for is to bring money into the state governments. And it's fundamentally crooked.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline dante

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 12:10:29 »
I still play single player.  Some of the best Atari 2600 / 7800 games have been homebrews released in the past few years.  See http://atariage.com/ and check out the store.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 13:21:14 »

Guild Wars 2???
 :)
Magumma!!!
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 13:25:58 »
I believe I am also on Maguuma... except I haven't really played out my characters... I'm only level 20 xD

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 13:34:35 »

All that machine gambling is for is to bring money into the state governments. And it's fundamentally crooked.

Thread-derailment... I need an adult... I need an adult... 

JK... I consider myself almost an adult...

The machine gambling does indeed bring money into the state....  but I don't think the mere labeling of the system as corrupt is meaningful/ useful..

It's the way it is for a reason...  There is a limit to social concord because we can not give equivalent information to all the players, nor can any individual handle ALL of the information required for perfectly Rational-Play-Choices...

The corruption could instead be looked upon as the cost (inefficiencies) of joint-human-efforts...

I believe many of the strategies we've employed to combat these issues are in fact TOO SIMILAR in principle to the cause of those very issues.

You can chastise  ONE GUY for doing something bad... but could you effectively do that to EVERYONE?  do you have the resource to do that...

Which is why I believe Punishment "after the fact".. is mostly for show..

I really wish they would put "ethics" into early educational courses... and NOT ONLY educate the children... but the PARENTS as well, because depending on background.... it may be the case that several generations of people misunderstand what it means to live-socially.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 17:24:59 »
I love some single player games for their story line or atmosphere. Unfortunately, this is something nearly non-existent in majority of multiplayer games. Especially MMOs are full of retards that have never heard of role playing.