Author Topic: Anyone plays Eve online here?  (Read 1484 times)

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
Anyone plays Eve online here?
« on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 17:09:05 »
I don't play eve online, but really really really wants to try it because it is sooooooo cooollll!!!! I really like space exploration game, but I heard eve online is not so easy to pick up. So the sad fact is I am very broke and don't want to spend a huge ton of money on the game, and I heard that there is some way to set up you game so that it pays off the game time by mining or something... Can anyone teach me how to set it up like that?

tl;dr: I need a mentor in Eve online -_-

Thanks in advance!!
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
Re: Anyone plays Eve online here?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 22:14:09 »
Used to, gave it up.  There's a reason the game's nickname is "Spreadsheet Wars." 

Yes, you can mine enough stuff to generate in-game currency, which can be traded for game subscriptions.  But that's too much like work.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 05:15:26 »
Same deal with margin trading. It's a chore. Combat is also a dull affair and considering spaceship pew pew is the biggest selling point for me...

Yeah, they're doing lots of things right by having a player-made economy and a massive sandbox model, but that alone doesn't make the game fun.

Offline Andrew3000

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 05:56:31 »
In Eve you can pay for the subscription with in-game currency (ISK). The pilot license extension (PLEX) sells for about 500 +/-50 million ISK atm and extends your subscription for 30 days. However, reaching the level when spending that much is not a serious leak in your ingame wallet takes some time, maybe a year if you don't want to make the game your fulltime workplace.

Eve evolves constantly, the recent Odyssey update changed a lot again. If you're interested, you can make a trial account but read the game forums before that - you can find players who would readily sponsor your first days. Eve supports inviting others and participants can invite up to 3 people per month. If an invited newcomer becomes a subscriber, the person who invited him/her will receive an in-game incentive. Some players share a few million ISK of their incentive with the invited ones to help them settle, some of their offers are published openly in the forums.

Once you're in, you might want to find a decent corporation matching your attitude and play style where more experienced players will answer all questions and help find the sources of information. There's plenty of opportunities, but learning what the game has to offer is a long, long way:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 06:37:17 »
You know how all the highest graduates, best of the best economists are hired by the fortune 500. Most of those guys still fvk up something serious, and they're supposed to be the best..

now there's Eyjolfur Gudmundsson, he's an economist who was only good enough to be hired by a video game company...  if we broke economists into tiers, starting from the lowest,  Your cat< You< Eyjolfur Gudmundsson < ....

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 11:19:50 »
I used to play it a lot, I mean a lot really! (more than 3 hours per day)
Then came CCP and blocked my account saying that I was booting.
Oh gosh, damm.
Bye my 50mil credits
Bye my orca, some of my stuff, etc.
It's an addictive game bro - beware!
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 11:24:00 »
So it is not as fun as it looks because of all those economy and stuff?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Andrew3000

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 12:00:37 »
That depends much on your definition of fun, but in fact there's pretty much you can do in Eve - PVP, PVE, politics, trade, industry, exploration, doing things in a group or alone - whatever you may prefer, but most career paths require some time (actually, a lot of it) before you can enjoy full access to all available options.