Author Topic: Anyone like doing random typing on their mechanical?  (Read 6831 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Anyone like doing random typing on their mechanical?
« on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 20:28:26 »
I own a Corsair K63 and i've been loving it so far. The lightness of the switch and the overall design makes it feel so good on my hands and makes it a great experience to type and game on everyday. I'm a real fan of the rugged space bar because it adds a certain texture to when i touch the space with my right index finger.

Because of this, sometimes i just like to randomly get it out and do random typing or mashing of keys.
Anyone else do this?

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
Re: Anyone like doing random typing on their mechanical?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 20:55:26 »
I also do these with my boards and telling myself "wow, these feel really good. I'm glad I built this board" while trying to justify all the purchases I made in this hobby. XD
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 April 2019, 20:57:18 by Aerizu »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 23:50:14 »
All the time. I have tons of random boards lying around my house, and I routinely drive my wife crazy constantly typing on disconnected keyboards. Half the time I don't even pay attention to what I'm typing, or I type out what I'm saying as I talk to her.

Offline mythosmann

• keyboards aren't even useful
    • My GitHub Page
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 11:30:38 »
   You're not the only one! I used to do this all the time with my boards, until I discovered a fun typing game called type knight.  Now I play that, and I'm getting faster at typing.
   Do you have cherry reds in it?  My daily has suuuuper light linears in it, and I love it. (Spring swapped 35g cherry blacks)

sorry for bad formatting, I'm using Tapatalk on my phone

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 21:55:53 »
I usually only do that when the computer is not responding.

Doesn't seem to make any difference to the computer, but sometimes does make me feel better.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 01:30:10 »
Tried it on my F. Never repeated it because my fingers were in pain. But at least I could annoy my coworkers.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 04:17:45 »
I also type randomly when i have to wait for something to load  ^-^
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 05:51:43 »
   You're not the only one! I used to do this all the time with my boards, until I discovered a fun typing game called type knight.  Now I play that, and I'm getting faster at typing.
   Do you have cherry reds in it?  My daily has suuuuper light linears in it, and I love it. (Spring swapped 35g cherry blacks)

sorry for bad formatting, I'm using Tapatalk on my phone
Cherry reds, yes  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 21:53:31 »
I have also noticed that typing on a keyboard other than the one connected to the computer sounds and feels quite different to when it is connected to the computer.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 01:16:42 »
It’s the electromechanical coupling 👍🙂
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline flurryvelvet

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 01:43:26 »
well, i do remember typing random stuff in excitement when i found a mechanical keyboard in my uncle's house

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 21:52:57 »
It’s the electromechanical coupling 👍🙂

Must be the weather, then.

Offline deacon

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 15:55:01 »
Absolutely and have data:text/html, <html contenteditable> first in my Chrome Bookmark Bar for this exact reason.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 April 2019, 20:51:45 by deacon »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 16:01:19 »
Pretty sure everyone does.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 21:52:12 »
ewrwklgrhjcowerghjucwopegthjp2-45089tuc3op45itgjcew;gijwcmp[45iyjtw[4

Offline RehnMan

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 14:22:39 »
I do this all the time with unplugged keyboards. When the keyboard is plugged in, I have an internal conversation with myself about how I like the keyboard, except its typed out in Notepad. "What do you think of this keyboard. I think I like this keyboard. The switches have a nice tactile feel and the layout is very suiting. Maybe I will map the raise and lower layers one key space to the right instead of where its at"

That sort of thing. I do this all the time.

I also use a switch tester and/or a little two key macro pad like fidget spinners at my desk lol.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 21:49:07 »

ioaweawetio ??

tp4 losing the plot - that's the second post in a month or something NOT in large cyan letters.

Offline decaf

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 07:25:17 »
too often. I'll mash some keys while thinking or figuring out how to phrase a sentence for example in an email or document, then delete and carry on work.
I also have a second keyboard close by, albeit disconnected but will mash on that one to spice things up once in a while.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 11:21:07 »

ioaweawetio ??

tp4 losing the plot - that's the second post in a month or something NOT in large cyan letters.

Offline networkdrift

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 13:36:26 »
I'm not sure if this counts, but I used to sit and do 10fastfingers on my boards for way too long. It made me such a better typist though, so it kinda paid off.

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 20:25:43 »
YES. I do it all the time with all the boards I really like the most, even when I don't have anything to do at times. They just feel THAT good to my fingers no matter how hard of a day I've had. I would never get this same feeling ever from a crappy, cheap Logitech or HP membrane board for sure. Trying to type on those for real to me feels like pounding on a brick wall now.
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 03:15:44 »
Hello my name is Thomas and I'm typing on a Zenith Data Systems ZKB-2R right now. I really like typing on this keyboard, and it has a lot of personality somehow. Really quite like this thing.

Oh dear, I was doing it again, wasn't I? :p
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 10:41:41 »

wuowroohrowihrowihe?

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 16:13:06 »
Been doing a whole bunch of random typing today.

This HHKB feels brand new again. I just took out the stock domes, put some BKE Redux Ultra Lights in there, and added silencing rings yesterday and the difference has been night and day on this thing. I love it. Really light but really tactile at the same time and it all sounds like raindrops. No more harsh upstroke sound. It was already lubed before, but this board has really become something else now. :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2019, 16:27:02 by mkkeyboardvigilante »
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 20:06:22 »
HHKB good

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 21:57:55 »

wuowroohrowihrowihe?

Sometimes.