Author Topic: Star Wars movies  (Read 5655 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Star Wars movies
« on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 11:38:06 »
ALL the Star Trek movies are Great, New and Old.

ALL the Star Wars movies are Terrible w/ the exception of Original Trilogy.

Why is this SW so hard ?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Star Wars movies
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 11:50:36 »
ALL the Star Trek movies are Great, New and Old.

ALL the Star Wars movies are Terrible w/ the exception of Original Trilogy.

Why is this SW so hard ?

Show Image

Because some weeb thought it was a cool idea to make a space western with laser samurai swords, and didn't have any plans after that.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 14:47:24 »

tp: ALL the Star Trek movies are Great

Star Trek V:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 17:09:14 »

tp: ALL the Star Trek movies are Great

Star Trek V:

However not As-Great as the ~other Trek Movies,  it was still better than ANY Star Wars movie (excluding Orig-Trilogy).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 17:48:32 »
Star Trek was always more complex and less formulaic. As far as the movies go, I really liked the first one, that most people didn't, and never liked anything having to do with Khan, even the original TV show when I saw it in 1967 as a sophomore in high school. Khan was just a poor character, in my opinion, and casting Sherlock as the new Khan was even worse. I liked the whale one, and thought that the one with Spock's "insane brother" was pretty pathetic.

I didn't like the reboot at first, but with teenage kids we watched it multiple times and it kind of grew on me.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 18:33:10 »
On a more serious note, Star Wars was built off rough ideas Lucas had for a blockbuster film showcasing new special effects.

Star Trek was created for a TV series, so it had a lot more work to do to make it interesting for a lot longer.

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 20:31:56 »
there are only 3 star wars films. the rest are just a cash grab

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 21:07:03 »
there are only 3 star wars films. the rest are just a cash grab
All Star Wars movies are cash grabs.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 21:15:59 »
Star trek has always been about the story.

Star Wars was originally a silly idea made to work by Lucas' wife, but it told a story (she left him and the studio after the original series).
After the success of the first series Lucas realized the toys/fandom were worth a ton of money and they became a vehicle to sell merchandise, which is waaaay more profitable than the movies themselves. Why did we get a robot Elmo (BB-8) instead of using R2D2? Toys. Why even have R2D2 in The Force Awakens? Toys.  Why didn't they just digitally delete the puffins? Because toys. Story comes second. MUST. SELL. TOYS.  Go watch the Star Wars episode on "The Toys That Made Us" (on Netflix) it's fascinating the history if it all and Star Wars is the main reason all of it exists.

The other problem with Star Wars (and now becoming an issue for Star Trek) is fan expectations. Star Wars has a huge following and they all keep waiting for them to be as good as the first and frankly, it will never happen. Not because they are not good but because everyone is waiting with baited breath and analyzing every single frame of the movie. Like Fohat found, I told a lot of people to go watch Force Awakens again after they got over the disappointment, this removed the bias of expectations and most people actually enjoyed it better the second time around.

At any rate, there's a reason remakes and sequels almost always fail compared to the original is because the original was a wild shot. It was right place, right time, right people sort of thing and any studio who makes it isn't going to wait around for a cast/producers to find the right people they would rather roll the dice again and cash in on the name (a low buck sequel like  American Pie 27 or whatever) or they will pour cubic dollars into it and hire big names to make damn sure that movie is a blockbuster (Mission Impossible).

Oh, and they are aimed at the 16-25 year old age group, they don't care if you aged out of that group, that is who they target because that's who goes to theaters.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 21:50:15 »
George Lucas first wanted to make a Flash Gordon film but couldn't get the rights to it.
He had been brought up on film serials of Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers and also on Western and "Jungle" serials. (He ripped off the latter to create Indiana Jones.)

I was once a huge Star Wars fan. I have analysed Lucas'  early draft screenplays for what would have been the first movie. It was more of a collection of loose ideas for various scenes and relationships than a coherent story. Each draft had a very different story but made from the same collection of ideas.
He picked from that big bag of ideas to create the stories for the first three movies, and had to make it up as he went along. There was an idea to give Luke a sister (who was not Leia), but that was scrapped.
He continued go pick from the big bag to make the three prequels, but the overall story had already pretty much been defined by things said in the first trilogy.
The drafts contained also lots of names that he had come up with, but he had used them for wildly different things.
Right before Episode 3 was released, I noted down each idea and name I could find in the old drafts and gave it a checkmark if it was in a released movie (some things in more than one, obviously). The items left without a checkmark corresponded quite well to what happened in Episode 3.
So when Lucas had made six movies, I think he was pretty much out of ideas. He said that there was never going to be any more movie — and none was made until after Disney had bought it.

Some set design in Star Wars shows clear inspiration/homage to Flash Gordon serials, and Lucas originally also wanted the starships to be sleek silver designs reminiscent of those in that serial. He got that wish realised first with CGI starships in the prequels.
Lucas (and his friends Spielberg and Coppola) was a big fan of Akira Kurosawa. The first "Star Wars" is said to also have contained clear inspiration from Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress". (princess Leia, two bickering side-characters providing comic relief, reveal at end, "The rebels' hidden fortress").
There was also inspiration from Asimov's Foundation series (smugglers, robots, atomic energy, galactic empire, capitol being a city-planet, "Corellia", "Kessel") and from Dune (spice mines, dune sea).

I find Star Trek the original series to be like it ripped off an existing sci-fi novel in each episode. The starship Enterprise and its crew was there mainly to provide a frame narrative.
🍉

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 22:15:55 »
Star Wars was originally a silly idea made to work by Lucas' wife, but it told a story (she left him and the studio after the original series).
Marcia Lucas influence should not be underestimated. She also won an Academy Award for her editing of the first movie.

The divorce shook George Lucas. He had to pay a huge sum to her, and to fund it he sold the computer division of ILM to Steve Jobs. It was called Pixar.

She left him for a contractor who made the stained-glass windows at Lucas' headquarters Skywalker Ranch. For years, visitors to the place were quietly warned not to mention the windows at all because if you did there was a chance that George could overhear you and throw a tantrum.
There are lots of other legends about George Lucas' would have lost his mind.

There has been speculation that the real reason why Lucas made the "Special Editions" of the original trilogy would have been because he wanted to undo Marcia's editing... still holding that grudge.
🍉

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 00:47:20 »
Lucas is a madman. Did you know he legit wanted to name a character Darth Icky and Darth Insanius?

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 16:33:30 »
Okay then...…

I've been to all three of the sequel films on premiere night. The last "original" film came out when I was 1!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 17:55:29 »
Lucas is a madman. Did you know he legit wanted to name a character Darth Icky and Darth Insanius?

U can tell he really hit those pizzas after the divorce. 

But this also means he should be fairly sane, because pizza is medicinal when it comes to -holding back- bad emotions. (at least temporarily)

Cheese contains Casomorphines (a morphine analog) + lots'o delicious Grease.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 02 August 2019, 18:36:11 »

Darth Icky should be the name of the beauty marks on my hand

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 05:06:14 »
I'm not sure exactly how someones "life force" can flow into someone just by killing them.

Why is this unfunny blind man begging when he can damn well do it himself
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 December 2019, 05:26:14 by Sintpinty »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 05:21:16 »
Hey! No more spoilers!
Even if the entire story was leaked online a month ago, and the movie is so bad that it is widely considered the worst "Star Wars" movie ever made (if it even deserves to be called "Star Wars"),
there are still people who have avoided spoilers who'd want to see it with an open mind during the holidays!
🍉

Offline Coreda

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 05:25:51 »
Empire is the only SW film that holds up from beginning to end as a good film imo. The other two are serviceable for the context of the trilogy but not particularly great. Have only watched the prequels apart from that and they're garbage.

Empire also suffers from the least amount of Lucas'ing of the OT.

Edit: the end battle VFX of RotJ is pretty great for practical it must be said.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 December 2019, 05:29:49 by Coreda »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 05:27:00 »
Empire is the only SW film that holds up from beginning to end as a good film imo. The other two are serviceable for the context of the trilogy but not particularly great. Have only watched the prequels apart from that and they're garbage.

Conehead is hands down the best character in the entire movie.

He's like me with social interaction. Says "h-ello" and then when something comes around, conehead zooms off with that one wheel and says " no thank you"

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 05:27:18 »
Hey! No more spoilers!
Even if the entire story was leaked online a month ago, and the movie is so bad that it is widely considered the worst "Star Wars" movie ever made (if it even deserves to be called "Star Wars"),
there are still people who have avoided spoilers who'd want to see it with an open mind during the holidays!

Yep, put it in spoiler tags

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 11:32:32 »
The movie overall was great. The ending wasn't as fulfilling as I'd like, but overall did a good job closing the saga. I had a lot of fun watching it, and definitely will rewatch it in theaters at least once more.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 07:49:52 »
The movie overall was great. The ending wasn't as fulfilling as I'd like, but overall did a good job closing the saga. I had a lot of fun watching it, and definitely will rewatch it in theaters at least once more.

Hehe! Agree with you.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 07:51:50 »
I swear my movie experience was great.

There was only two people clapping during the movie! One at the beginning shouted "WOoOOOoo" and the other clapped when rey said that "its rey." "rey skywalker."

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 09:49:43 »

Undeniably a ton of fun to watch. Unfortunately my fellow theater-goers were into the clapping thing, and I got a lot of that.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 17:40:11 »

Undeniably a ton of fun to watch. Unfortunately my fellow theater-goers were into the clapping thing, and I got a lot of that.

The same people who clap on the plane are the same people who clap when a character does something.

Like even if it was palpatine shooting lighting from his hands consisiting of over 100,000 volts they would still be clapping omg