Author Topic: Achieving endgame  (Read 6320 times)

Offline colorcutclarity

Achieving endgame
« on: Fri, 02 August 2019, 21:33:47 »
Looking for advice on achieving my endgame.

I am on the search for a TKL kit of great quality but can't find where to buy one or a groupbuy to enlist in. I also have been periodically checking the classifieds to no avail.

What would you guys suggest? Budget around ~$800.

Offline Kevadu

Re: Achieving endgame
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 00:13:00 »
Endgame is a lie.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 00:18:18 »
Like this guy above me said there is no end game.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 00:22:27 »
What is Hydro?

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 00:56:25 »
Endgame is like but things of high quality certainly aren't, for 800 if you are lucky enough you can win a keycult raffle and buy a keycult (super high quality boards). You could also browse interest checks and find a board you really like and wait for the gb. There are no boards that are readily availiable that are endgame or super high quality in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline popkorn62

• No keyboards for old men
    • Mekibo
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 01:10:23 »
Endgame exists when you stop searching for endgame
==============
https://mekibo.com/

Offline colorcutclarity

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 17:10:26 »
Endgame is like but things of high quality certainly aren't, for 800 if you are lucky enough you can win a keycult raffle and buy a keycult (super high quality boards). You could also browse interest checks and find a board you really like and wait for the gb. There are no boards that are readily availiable that are endgame or super high quality in my opinion.

If I'm lucky enough to win a raffle to pay money. Hilarious scene we have here.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 17:54:16 »

I mean look at it this way when you pay the 800 Dollars that keyboard isn't 800 more like 2.5k if we are talking about key cult. You would be tripling your money instead of losing anything. There is a lot of people that would want to buy it off you.'

There is to much Asking but no supplies so that's why the keyboard gets raffled and then sold to the winner.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline colorcutclarity

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 18:43:56 »

I mean look at it this way when you pay the 800 Dollars that keyboard isn't 800 more like 2.5k if we are talking about key cult. You would be tripling your money instead of losing anything. There is a lot of people that would want to buy it off you.'

There is to much Asking but no supplies so that's why the keyboard gets raffled and then sold to the winner.

I am quite familiar with supply and demand and your post pretty much sums up my frustration--"there is a lot of people who would want to buy it off you" , "there is too much asking but no supplies".

If so many people want this stuff why is no company stepping up? At least have a consumer based line that is quality with limited units but consistent restocks. I just want a solid board so I can put some custom switches and caps on. It shouldn't be this difficult.

I am uniformed so if someone has a better understanding of the process please do correct me.

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 18:50:31 »

I am quite familiar with supply and demand and your post pretty much sums up my frustration--"there is a lot of people who would want to buy it off you" , "there is too much asking but no supplies".

If so many people want this stuff why is no company stepping up? At least have a consumer based line that is quality with limited units but consistent restocks. I just want a solid board so I can put some custom switches and caps on. It shouldn't be this difficult.

I am uniformed so if someone has a better understanding of the process please do correct me.
So yeah keycult isnt a huge company, they are just a duo of 2 people who love designing and making keyboards, they are currently stepping up offering 75 kits, and they have also implemented a preorder so more can be made. (To join preorder you need to win the raffle too). They're quality control is insane, even small nicks that are barely visible are marked B stock, to achieve this great quality they need time to review the boards, thus limiting the amount of boards they can sell.

Offline colorcutclarity

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 19:03:19 »

So yeah keycult isnt a huge company, they are just a duo of 2 people who love designing and making keyboards, they are currently stepping up offering 75 kits, and they have also implemented a preorder so more can be made. (To join preorder you need to win the raffle too). They're quality control is insane, even small nicks that are barely visible are marked B stock, to achieve this great quality they need time to review the boards, thus limiting the amount of boards they can sell.

Cool, thanks for the information. That definitely makes sense for their offerings and the quality in which they uphold.

But for someone like me who actually wants to build it and use it -- and not put it in a trophy case or resell it for 400% markup -- I still feel there's a void here.

And before someone comes in here who won a raffle and says "well I won a raffle and I'm using it daily" - well you were lucky enough to win and that's pretty much it.

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 19:12:13 »

Cool, thanks for the information. That definitely makes sense for their offerings and the quality in which they uphold.

But for someone like me who actually wants to build it and use it -- and not put it in a trophy case or resell it for 400% markup -- I still feel there's a void here.

And before someone comes in here who won a raffle and says "well I won a raffle and I'm using it daily" - well you were lucky enough to win and that's pretty much it.
Well the best customs are all fcfs, or raffles. There are also less common unlimited groupbuys, check out the polaris for example which is set to run in the next weeks. Sorry, but you have to just enter raffle and pray or join others. This is a community driven and small hobby in the end of the day.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 19:16:06 »
If you can DEFINE your endgame keyboard very precisely. Then it's possible.

However,  this is only possible if You've ALREADY spent $1000s of dollars TRYING OUT all the various combinations. Not just tapped a few keys at a convention, but own-ed and daily-ed. 1000s of hours typing, actually using different keyboards.

Imagine asking someone who doesn't play guitar, what's his favorite guitar.  At the same time, ask a 5yr guitar student vs a 20yr guitar student.  There will be major differences.

It is Impossible for any n0vice to the hobby to even begin contemplating their personal END_GAME.

The Fabled END_GAME is also not something of uncertainty.  If you are unsure of what it is, or even where to get it,  Then you're NOT READY, and Your_End_Game simply does not yet exist..

But don't be discouraged, this only means you have 20 years and several $Thousand Dollars$ left on your JOURNEY 2 End_Game.

Offline colorcutclarity

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 19:35:48 »

However,  this is only possible if You've ALREADY spent $1000s of dollars TRYING OUT all the various combinations.

So, in truth, it is IMPOSSIBLE for any n0vice to the hobby to even begin contemplating their personal END_GAME.

My end game is a high quality TKL kit (winkey) that's either new or in great shape. Not looking for any specific brand.

PS. I was around these parts before you my son.

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 19:39:11 »

However,  this is only possible if You've ALREADY spent $1000s of dollars TRYING OUT all the various combinations.

So, in truth, it is IMPOSSIBLE for any n0vice to the hobby to even begin contemplating their personal END_GAME.

My end game is a high quality TKL kit (winkey) that's either new or in great shape. Not looking for any specific brand.

Search interest checks section many tkls

Offline colorcutclarity

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 19:46:27 »

Search interest checks section many tkls

Will do, I'll keep an eye on it. I wanted to start this build sooner than later but I think patience will play a factor here.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 22:51:32 »

TKL is a highly unrefined and novice arrangement.

A partial argument could be made for a TKL Lefty type as end game.

Overall if that's your idea of endgame,  you've got lots to learn and a LONG way to go on typing.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 04 August 2019, 00:14:31 »

I bet you weren't around here before me...  :)

As far as the OP is concerned...you have no idea the embarrassment of riches keyboard enthusiasts have today. 

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 04 August 2019, 15:00:44 »
Endgame is like supercars, there's another (keyboard/switch) around the corner. 5 years ago you could think you had an endgame board and now we have 3 times as many keyboards, layouts and switches to choose from. That doesn't even account for caps (and keycap materials) and rgb.

At any rate, if you plan on using it some super rare model may not be the best choice, not to mention that a $200 keyboard can feel and look just as good as an $800 keyboard. My advice, start with a Vortex/Tex case and add a compatible keyboard and programmable pcb or controller. If something gets broke or you want to try a new switch you can buy another to slip inside or replace what's in it without replacing everything unlike some one off group buy.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline colorcutclarity

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 04 August 2019, 19:18:23 »
Endgame is like supercars, there's another (keyboard/switch) around the corner. 5 years ago you could think you had an endgame board and now we have 3 times as many keyboards, layouts and switches to choose from. That doesn't even account for caps (and keycap materials) and rgb.

At any rate, if you plan on using it some super rare model may not be the best choice, not to mention that a $200 keyboard can feel and look just as good as an $800 keyboard. My advice, start with a Vortex/Tex case and add a compatible keyboard and programmable pcb or controller. If something gets broke or you want to try a new switch you can buy another to slip inside or replace what's in it without replacing everything unlike some one off group buy.

Thank you for this response it's actually incredibly helpful. I guess I used the term "endgame" too loosely haha. I am by no means an active hobbyist in this space so that's why I come here and ask for all of your input to help me gameplan a way of achieving the board I want. I have switches, caps, coil cable, just need the case/pcb.

So if I were to get something like this : https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1263 , would this be the programmable PCB that is compatible? https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=536 ?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 August 2019, 19:20:29 by colorcutclarity »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 04 August 2019, 23:01:12 »

Thank you for this response it's actually incredibly helpful. I guess I used the term "endgame" too loosely haha. I am by no means an active hobbyist in this space so that's why I come here and ask for all of your input to help me gameplan a way of achieving the board I want. I have switches, caps, coil cable, just need the case/pcb.

So if I were to get something like this : https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1263 , would this be the programmable PCB that is compatible? https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=536 ?

Thanks!
You're welcome.
That pcb is listed on the case page as compatible, as well as a few others. Don't forget plate and stabs, you will require a plate to use that case.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 06:06:00 »
Omae wa mo shinderu

Offline shadowku

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 15:33:30 »
My end game tomorrow is not necessarily my end game today.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 09:41:48 »

Thanks!

Let me just say that I genuinely dislike the Tex cases.  They are hollow-sounding and rattly.  Also non-removable cable is ick.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 17:53:59 »
I have the Vortex which *should* be similar.

Rattle is usually stabs, but hollow could be plate related. The Phantom plate bolts to the top frame and is a simple plate while the Filco and a few others use a bent plate which is firmly, and I mean REALLY firmly clamped between the upper and lower half of the case.  It's probably the most solid plate mounting system in the industry.The unfortunate downside to the oem plate is you can't open the switches when mounted and odds are the Phantom pcb will not accept holtites. The other option is to use the universal/Phantom plate with some adapters, info is here. I have used these for years. I also use some motherboard foam in the bottom of the case to tone down the sound.

Regarding the cable, that is a VERY easy fix.
Guys who make custom cables offer them but making your own is pretty easy as well. On the other hand, it's a joint that is constantly getting bumped and pushed around and I've seen two fail so far. I'm currently using a straight cord for this reason on mine. This is an issue on laptops as well where the power cords get tugged and bumped and while they can destroy the connector, they more often than not get torn off the pcb itself. Lenovo and other business grade laptop manufacturers got around this issue by using a flexible mount and wires to connect the connector to the PCB... Blah blah blah... What I'm saying is is that having a connector there isn't all it's cracked up to be. You might be wise to have a lead coming out to a connectors with some room to flex (a much easier part to make) than to have a hard mounted port.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline jamster

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 19:48:29 »
Looking for advice on achieving my endgame.

I am on the search for a TKL kit of great quality but can't find where to buy one or a groupbuy to enlist in. I also have been periodically checking the classifieds to no avail.

What would you guys suggest? Budget around ~$800.

"Endgame" is in your head, so it depends what you want, and "TKL of great quality for $800" is more than a little vague. And if you think you need to spend $800 on a keyboard, I would suggest that "endgame" here is chasing a rainbow.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 20:01:15 »

That's too true! 4-5 years ago I got a very nice Korean custom with lubed clears and that was about as good as things got for tactile switches back then, but now quality and selections gets better and better; back then Kailh were considered inferior to Cherry, and box switches didn't exist. I'd honestly say that my $180 Chinese TINA is of much higher quality than my GON board (in RGB, plate/build, PCB, switches) at a fraction of the price. 

The only real way to endgame is to just stay off keyboard forums forever so you don't get tempted by the new fancy switches, cases, mods, what have you. Ignorance is bliss!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 20:04:11 »
I have been here for 6 years and my end game is a board you can purchase VERY easily. Realforce 87UB Silent. The keyset however is tough to get. Kbdfans PBT 9009 Set. The only way youll know if you need a custom or a bought keyboard is to try them at meetups or spend the money to buy them. Ive bought so many expensive ass customs and none of them were as nice. But many people dislike Topre (Realforce) so it all comes down to typing on them yourself.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 21:07:08 »
It you're particular about what you "stop" with... then you're going to need to get out there and try things and figure out what you personally feel attached to. And then hope that doesnt change.

If you're just looking for a keyboard that people drool over and call an actual "endgame" board then just go pick one and pay the prices on mechmarket.
-Dana

Offline rxc92

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 00:32:42 »
Is the 9009 really hard to get? It's available on KBDfans's website right now. Regardless, I can concur. My most-used keyboard is an LE R2 87U. However, metal case boards are very different and I like them as well.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 03:18:50 »
Is the 9009 really hard to get? It's available on KBDfans's website right now. Regardless, I can concur. My most-used keyboard is an LE R2 87U. However, metal case boards are very different and I like them as well.

Maybe it’s back in stock. The mod set was sold out for a bit to work with realforce.