Poll

Which do you prefer?

Track ball
Mouse
Other
Whichever I think will work best at the time

Author Topic: Do you value your health or productivity more? >Track ball's Vs. Mice!  (Read 35917 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Do you value your health or productivity more? >Track ball's Vs. Mice!
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 02:37:10 »
I think the overall concept of the trackball is inherently flawed.
Standard mice can reach DPI levels of 5k without even breaking a sweat, but if you try that on a trackball it becomes a complete mess.
There's got to be another solution. One that combines both natural 3D movement and accuracy.

Offline csmertx

• proprietor of waffles
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Linux Geek
    • https://csmertx.github.io
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 13:06:01 »
Standard mice can reach DPI levels of 5k without even breaking a sweat, but if you try that on a trackball it becomes a complete mess.
There's got to be another solution. One that combines both natural 3D movement and accuracy.

What does 'breaking a sweat' in this context even mean?

Offline buryberry

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 13:11:50 »
i used a wacom for awhile and it was nice. i have one with the wheel which i used for scrolling. putting down and picking up the pen was really annoying though

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 15:11:55 »
i used a wacom for awhile and it was nice. i have one with the wheel which i used for scrolling. putting down and picking up the pen was really annoying though

there are alot of alternatives now. cheaper and laminated.

Offline buryberry

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 15:46:56 »
yep i know huion is popular. apparently even their cintiq alternatives are really good now, which was not the case a couple years ago. my wacom is quite old already (intuos 4), so i hope it lasts a long time still. i still have an rs232 intuos 1 :P

Offline micmil

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 19:36:38 »
Good luck playing games that require pixel perfect cursor precision and a lot of very fast movement on a trackball lmao. I would like to see some good input device that has the precision required, but have yet to find anything that's not a mouse (or a drawing tablet for Osu! purposes). I mostly play games that require 2D aiming, so I just play with a relatively high DPI of 2000 on 1080p.

I use a noisy gaming keyboard and mouse for gaming.

I use a quiet keyboard and trackball for work.

Right tool for the job and everything.

Why would you want 5k dpi on a trackball? Are you going to be 720 noscoping your Excel spreadsheets or something?  :p

Offline trace.

• 「ひとりぼっち」「empty4ever」
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 10:54:45 »
Good luck playing games that require pixel perfect cursor precision and a lot of very fast movement on a trackball lmao. I would like to see some good input device that has the precision required, but have yet to find anything that's not a mouse (or a drawing tablet for Osu! purposes). I mostly play games that require 2D aiming, so I just play with a relatively high DPI of 2000 on 1080p.
I use a noisy gaming keyboard and mouse for gaming.

I use a quiet keyboard and trackball for work.

Right tool for the job and everything.
Yea sure, but I don't like using different peripherals for every single thing I do, so it would be nice if there were mice that could do proper ergonomics while having high precision as well.

Offline alertArchitect

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 11:59:24 »
Yea sure, but I don't like using different peripherals for every single thing I do, so it would be nice if there were mice that could do proper ergonomics while having high precision as well.

To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if mic had a situation where they have their personal PC for games and leisure, and a work PC for their job. Not uncommon and would basically be one set of peripherals per PC.

But not everyone has the space for multiple PCs or multiple sets of peripherals, or the money to afford it all, or even just the feeling of not wanting to have to swap the cables every time you want to move from one thing to the next if you only have that one computer. No shame in any of that.

Offline micmil

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 12:12:14 »

To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if mic had a situation where they have their personal PC for games and leisure, and a work PC for their job. Not uncommon and would basically be one set of peripherals per PC.

But not everyone has the space for multiple PCs or multiple sets of peripherals, or the money to afford it all, or even just the feeling of not wanting to have to swap the cables every time you want to move from one thing to the next if you only have that one computer. No shame in any of that.

One PC. It takes all of a minute to swap out a keyboard and I don't even have to swap to the trackball, I just power it on.

Using the appropriate tool for the job saves you more time than you spend in the changeover.

Offline alertArchitect

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 12:33:08 »

One PC. It takes all of a minute to swap out a keyboard and I don't even have to swap to the trackball, I just power it on.

Using the appropriate tool for the job saves you more time than you spend in the changeover.

Fair enough. Honestly the reason I don't have anything like that at home is because I don't have the room for it, and would have to completely re-box my primary keyboard, then pull out the one for work, then unbox it and get it set up. Which is not the easiest task with my setup, especially since I have a fairly small desk Just better to have one set of peripherals, for me, and not bother with the 10-15 minutes it would take to change everything out every single time I need / want to change those peripherals.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 14:52:13 »
Edit: nvm, noticed the sub-quoted post wanted to avoid graphics tablet form factor.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 February 2021, 14:55:04 by Coreda »

Offline micmil

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 17:50:12 »
Fair enough. Honestly the reason I don't have anything like that at home is because I don't have the room for it, and would have to completely re-box my primary keyboard, then pull out the one for work, then unbox it and get it set up. Which is not the easiest task with my setup, especially since I have a fairly small desk Just better to have one set of peripherals, for me, and not bother with the 10-15 minutes it would take to change everything out every single time I need / want to change those peripherals.

Yeah, if you're precious about your gear it won't really be the best option. Nothing I have is terribly valuable and I buy it all to be used anyway. I think if I had like a $300+ Topre board or something like that I'd be way too fussy to ever use it.  :))

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 19:40:28 »
TB's sure do remind you of your hand cleanliness and general disgusting nature of the human body. If even under my currently strict cleaning and washing regimens the ball accumulates dead skin at a rate that makes me want to go full Howard Hugues. If only just my seemingly clean hand that I spend more time keeping sterile far more than that of any other area in these times of high hand alertness can produce this level of filth in such a short time, I shudder to think what the rest of this unoptimized skin pile of filth is shedding off around me, and at what gaggingly quick pace. I'm probably sitting in absolute muck of my own making right now and now even seeing it! I make me sick.

Offline micmil

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 20:13:33 »
TB's sure do remind you of your hand cleanliness and general disgusting nature of the human body. If even under my currently strict cleaning and washing regimens the ball accumulates dead skin at a rate that makes me want to go full Howard Hugues. If only just my seemingly clean hand that I spend more time keeping sterile far more than that of any other area in these times of high hand alertness can produce this level of filth in such a short time, I shudder to think what the rest of this unoptimized skin pile of filth is shedding off around me, and at what gaggingly quick pace. I'm probably sitting in absolute muck of my own making right now and now even seeing it! I make me sick.

You're just one huge sentient oil-covered skinflake.

Goodnight!  :thumb:

Offline csmertx

• proprietor of waffles
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Linux Geek
    • https://csmertx.github.io
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 22:19:01 »

Hold on, lemme clean the crude from the sides, top, and bottom of my Steelseries Sensei 310... And now the ball and guides for my trackball.  There.  Yep, can confirm. :blank: