Author Topic: OriginalMX Campaign by Cherry  (Read 7119 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
OriginalMX Campaign by Cherry
« on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 11:47:09 »
Cherry MX is doing a campaign called #Original MX to educate people about why cherry mx is still the default choice for most keyboard manufacturers .

It says "be careful when buying mechanical keyboards".

I've actually tried zealios switches. Its heavy, and it feels less scratchier than the reds i own, however the tactile bump is a bit delayed and i'd prefer more instant gratification.

What is your opinion on this? Do you feel that Cherry switches are the best out there or there are some better alternatives?

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Re: OriginalMX Campaign by Cherry
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 11:59:51 »
Cherry MX is doing a campaign called #Original MX to educate people about why cherry mx is still the default choice for most keyboard manufacturers .

I've actually tried zealios switches. Its heavy, and it feels less scratchier than the reds i own, however the tactile bump is a bit delayed and i'd prefer more instant gratification.

What is your opinion on this? Do you feel that Cherry switches are the best out there or there are some better alternatives?

LOL, Cherry lost the top spot quite awhile ago IMO. Sure they still make good switches, but with the rise of boutique & frankenswitches in the custom scene they are far from the best. Really I would think this is in response to them losing a ton of traction in the gaming space to clone manufacturers like Gateron, Kahil, Outemu, etc. Cause to be 100% honest there really isn't super dodgy MX clones out there anymore. I think they are hoping the use the price discrepancy between boards using genuine Cherry MX & ones using clones to show the ones using their switches is of higher quality. Which for the most is true, but it's still a white lie by Cherry at best since it not the switches that makes most boards using Cherry MX better. It more of the fact that Cherry MX are a more expensive option than clones so they find their way into higher end products.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 12:44:24 »
Cherry kind of reminds me of YKK zippers at this point.  They cost OEMs a little more to use, but you get a proven product and a name that people know.  When I read about newer mechanical keyboards with individual switches that have failed, they're not usually keyboards with Cherry switches.  This marketing campaign isn't going after people on boards like this.  They're going after the people who go down to Fry's or Micro Center and are looking for a gaming keyboard. 

Offline rxc92

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 14:51:45 »
It's like when drugmakers try to promote brand-name products over bio-equivalent generics, except in this case many if not most of the generics are superior to the brand-name. It's just preying on people who know nothing about keyboards and trying to drum up more business. Personally, I wouldn't give a care in the world if Cherry went under, the American/Chinese boutique switches are better.

Offline mode

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 14:56:22 »
They should really consider a complete redesign IMO, MX just isn't that good. If they put their minds to it they could probably do better than ALPS and then have fresh patents.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 15:10:39 »
If you can't beat them on merit you resort to marketing.

Cherry sat there on their laurels for way too long, happens when you are pretty much the only game in town. Now that they actually have to compete with cheaper switches that are as good or better this is kind of the only argument they can make. Only when all else fails will they start lowering prices.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 17:33:26 »
They should really consider a complete redesign IMO, MX just isn't that good. If they put their minds to it they could probably do better than ALPS and then have fresh patents.
I agree that much better switches than Cherry MX clones could be made, but I wouldn't consider Alps to be of a higher standard. IMHO, Alps can beat MX-based designs only on tactile feel.
Unfortunately, in the eyes of ignorant consumers these days, a "mechanical" keyboard switch has linear feel which has made those switches the benchmark.

Cherry has designed a new linear switch that is better than MX in some ways: the "Cherry MX Low Profile". It isn't a Cherry MX switch despite what the geniuses at Cherry's marketing department have chosen to call it. It only mimics Cherry MX Red's force curve somewhat.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2019, 18:52:08 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 18:16:12 »
Did they mention how they got there in the first place and how Cherry faired when they still had competitors? :p
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline mode

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 02:20:48 »
I agree that much better switches than Cherry MX clones could be made, but I wouldn't consider Alps to be of a higher standard. IMHO, Alps can beat MX-based designs only on tactile feel.
Unfortunately, in the eyes of ignorant consumers these days, a "mechanical" keyboard switch has linear feel which has made those switches the benchmark.

My ears disagree with you theere. Alps feel and sound better.

You could certainly do better, and alps have flaws like reliability and sensitivity to dirt. My original point stands though, I’d like to see cherry offer new premium game changing switch designs.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 12:42:35 »
Did they mention how they got there in the first place and how Cherry faired when they still had competitors? :p
Did anyone actually make consumer grade keyboard with Cherry switches back in the day?  I certainly don't remember seeing any.  They seem to have survived by being essentially the last man standing, but they do have many many decades of switch-making expertise.  My dad still has some Cherry microswitches from the '60s or '70s that work great.  Even if there's very little love for them in the consumer market, they have the POS keyboard market pretty well locked up for the moment.

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 13:14:04 »
I will take Alps and NMB 725 (Space Invaders) over Cherry.

Even the "clones" do a better job for most of them. Even the guy in the video doesn't seem to have good talking points as they are too vague. Colour is one of the main arguments...

Offline Herman

• college student
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 13:23:17 »
I think the Cherry clones feel better than Cherry's 80% of the time.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 13:24:12 »
Too little too late..

But it's not so much resting on their laurels,   in terms of contact point switches, there really isn't much to meaningfully improve. 

That said, it could be done,  Cherry didn't do it.  Now they're behind.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 13:31:43 »
Did anyone actually make consumer grade keyboard with Cherry switches back in the day?  I certainly don't remember seeing any.
"Consumer grade" would mean lowest cost, so no. If you look at 8-bit and 16-bit "home computers" from the 1980's they often had even cheaper types of key switches: spring on membrane, rubber dome or similar.
Keyboards in the "home PC" boom in the mid-90s, were often rubber dome keyboards.

But lots of office keyboards in the 80's and 90's had Cherry key switches. Cherry themselves had continued producing their older designs of office keyboards through the 00's before the revival, and I may be wrong, but I think mostly for the German market, even though other layouts than German existed for sure. When I started out with mech keyboards in 2010 there were quite a lot of used Cherry-brand keyboards on German eBay.
🍉

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 14:47:29 »
It's a joke that Cherry is trying to bill themselves as some kind of premium option now.  Cherry switches aren't the worst but they've certainly never been the best either.  If you look at vintage boards they're worse than even really cheap options like space invaders.

The only reason Cherry is relevant today is because everyone else looked at the rise of ultra-cheap rubber dome keyboards and set F it and left the mechanical switch market.  Then when there was a big revival of interest in mechanical keyboards they became the default option by virtue of being about the only company still making mechanical switches.  So they get points for persistence at least.

But not points for making good switches...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 16:06:41 »
But it's not so much resting on their laurels,   in terms of contact point switches, there really isn't much to meaningfully improve. 
The design was/is good, that's why it's lasted. It's simple, reliable, easy/cheap to produce.

Where they rested was on keeping up equipment, testing new materials, not trying to improve or even come up with any new designs in general. Patents expire and when it did they had nothing to fall back on other than keyboard manufacturing itself, which plenty of others were already doing. That didn't matter when no one cared about mechanicals enough to copy it but once others jumped in it was too late.

Spinning up departments you shuttered years ago is never easy, especially at a large company. Meanwhile you had smaller companies who not only had those departments, but also hungry for a bit of that money.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Venaros

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 17:50:17 »

Have you tried the V2 zealios? The bump is really sharp at right at the top. The only good Cherry switches are Vint Blacks, Good Retooled Blacks, and Clears (for making ergo clears). 

This whole campaign is just bull****, they can't win through having the better product, so they prey off the ignorant.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 November 2019, 17:51:50 by Venaros »

Offline rxc92

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 23:56:30 »
If the majority of your switches suck and you can only pick out a tiny portion as being 'good', they aren't good. Also Clears > ergo clears, fight me.  ;)

Offline GlennL42

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 00:01:47 »
Went through the official video from Cherry and some of the stuff they said just makes me sad how they remain so ignorant despite years of intense competition from other manufacturers. The entire video are just pointless obfuscation for those not well informed of "don't choose anything other than Cherry MX" without really telling why you should, and attempt at framing of anything else other than Cherry MX as rip-off is pretty sad. Seriously this is some desperate move that I for one can't believe Cherry think they can still get away with in this age of time, the dislike ratio pretty telling already.

Offline Venaros

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 13:43:28 »

Cherry has designed a new linear switch that is better than MX in some ways: the "Cherry MX Low Profile". It isn't a Cherry MX switch despite what the geniuses at Cherry's marketing department have chosen to call it. It only mimics Cherry MX Red's force curve somewhat.

You think Cherry blues sound better than SKCM Blues?

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 13:57:00 »
Cherry survived for the same reason Unicomp survived-- they had niche markets that kept the business of mechanical boards afloat until enthusiasts came back.

I suspect for many years, their biggest sellers weren't the mainstream 1000/3000 boards, but stuff like the POS boards (8133 and 8200), the rackmount sized boards (1800 and 11800) and the speciality card-reader boards.  These were selling to markets where they weren't directly competing with $4.99 rubber domes.

They also had a wide array of other switch products, so the keyboard business itsewlf didn't have to sink or swim solo-- the first Cherry switches I ever saw were leaf-contact microswitches used to transiently activate power to sections of a model railway!
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 14:41:59 »
BTW, this campaign is from the same people who gave us this back in 2014 where they called Cherry MX "outdated inside":

229837-0

You can watch their original campaign against their own mechanical keyboards in the Internet Archive.
🍉

Offline envyy24

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 14:45:49 »
After reading this thread I am genuinely concern about getting Cherry MX sswitch keyboard. So just for the sake of asking, what do you guys generally think is the best witch to go for in today market?

Online Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 15:07:57 »
After reading this thread I am genuinely concern about getting Cherry MX sswitch keyboard. So just for the sake of asking, what do you guys generally think is the best witch to go for in today market?

Cherry isn't bad but i rather go with Gateron these days.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline envyy24

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 15:24:07 »

(Sorry everyone for being off topic)
Can you recommend me some brown switch gateron 65% kbs?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 16:21:14 »
Depends on what kind of feel you want.

More importantly though, pretty much all will last a long time and there are few turkeys in the bunch from major players, the only question is where you put your priorities:
Longevity (oh no, it might only last 20 years!), feel, wobble, color, internet points (e-peen), etc...  For every switch you will find someone pooping on it and another wanting to give it a star on the Walk of Fame.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Online Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 17:04:48 »

(Sorry everyone for being off topic)
Can you recommend me some brown switch gateron 65% kbs?

Tada68 is a good keyboard.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 20:16:21 »

LOL, Cherry lost the top spot quite awhile ago IMO. Sure they still make good switches, but with the rise of boutique & frankenswitches in the custom scene they are far from the best. Really I would think this is in response to them losing a ton of traction in the gaming space to clone manufacturers like Gateron, Kahil, Outemu, etc. Cause to be 100% honest there really isn't super dodgy MX clones out there anymore. I think they are hoping the use the price discrepancy between boards using genuine Cherry MX & ones using clones to show the ones using their switches is of higher quality. Which for the most is true, but it's still a white lie by Cherry at best since it not the switches that makes most boards using Cherry MX better. It more of the fact that Cherry MX are a more expensive option than clones so they find their way into higher end products.

The reds included in my gaming board are so scratchy, but they still count as mechanical.

Friendship ended with Cherry MX Reds, now Razer greens and Zealios my new best friends

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 20:16:55 »
Cherry kind of reminds me of YKK zippers at this point.  They cost OEMs a little more to use, but you get a proven product and a name that people know.  When I read about newer mechanical keyboards with individual switches that have failed, they're not usually keyboards with Cherry switches.  This marketing campaign isn't going after people on boards like this.  They're going after the people who go down to Fry's or Micro Center and are looking for a gaming keyboard.

And that's why Corsair and others don't go for others.. because it makes them look bad

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 20:17:16 »
If you can't beat them on merit you resort to marketing.

Cherry sat there on their laurels for way too long, happens when you are pretty much the only game in town. Now that they actually have to compete with cheaper switches that are as good or better this is kind of the only argument they can make. Only when all else fails will they start lowering prices.

They will be dethroned someday. Hear. Me. Out.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 20:17:57 »

Nope, in the twitter they claim that "we invented the switch " and "yaydayadaya"

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 20:18:36 »
Did anyone actually make consumer grade keyboard with Cherry switches back in the day?  I certainly don't remember seeing any.  They seem to have survived by being essentially the last man standing, but they do have many many decades of switch-making expertise.  My dad still has some Cherry microswitches from the '60s or '70s that work great.  Even if there's very little love for them in the consumer market, they have the POS keyboard market pretty well locked up for the moment.

I mean my MX reds are 50% ####, 50% good but that'll do.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 20:19:13 »
Went through the official video from Cherry and some of the stuff they said just makes me sad how they remain so ignorant despite years of intense competition from other manufacturers. The entire video are just pointless obfuscation for those not well informed of "don't choose anything other than Cherry MX" without really telling why you should, and attempt at framing of anything else other than Cherry MX as rip-off is pretty sad. Seriously this is some desperate move that I for one can't believe Cherry think they can still get away with in this age of time, the dislike ratio pretty telling already.

Razer greens are my favourite switch, i've expressed them many times. Although blues feel and sound good i know there's other alternative

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 20:23:25 »

Razer greens sound just as good as alps. But in terms of sound, nothing feels as good as alps.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 20:24:02 »
It's a joke that Cherry is trying to bill themselves as some kind of premium option now.  Cherry switches aren't the worst but they've certainly never been the best either.  If you look at vintage boards they're worse than even really cheap options like space invaders.

The only reason Cherry is relevant today is because everyone else looked at the rise of ultra-cheap rubber dome keyboards and set F it and left the mechanical switch market.  Then when there was a big revival of interest in mechanical keyboards they became the default option by virtue of being about the only company still making mechanical switches.  So they get points for persistence at least.

But not points for making good switches...

They're premium in the way that they're actually not membrane.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 21:45:14 »
There is a function called 'insert quote', by the way.

Offline Gampela

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 05:29:28 »
This is just me speculating but I recently watched this video tour around Cherry Mx factory and I wonder if their german way of rigorously testing every imaginable situation is also hampering their innovation and also achieving the perfect "feeling". Obviously boutique switch makers don't do this kind of stuff but I doubt Chinese manufacturers don't do this either, at least to the same extent. These kinds of things, I imagine, put a lot of extra work and money when trying new materials, designs or just renewing their old tooling etc. Ofc advanced testing makes sense and is demanded when they are making swithes for large variety of situations, some of them very demanding. Like wasn't industrial/manufactery use one of their biggest targets before mechanical gaming keyboards took off and allowed them to survive when other switch makers died? I'm just rambling here but maybe, just maybe, this is now working against them when they are competing against rivals who are not playing by the same rules.

That being said, they were behind the best semi-recent switch related invention. That is making a switch that is silenced on both up and down strokes without making it feel like ****, actually IMO improving the feeling. That was ofc promptly copied by others. Thank you very much Cherry. The tour video is down below, it's pretty intersting watch.

« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 05:33:10 by Gampela »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 05:37:05 »
This is just me speculating but I recently watched this video tour around Cherry Mx factory and I wonder if their german way of rigorously testing every imaginable situation is also hampering their innovation and also achieving the perfect "feeling".

That's all WW2 tech lvl,  nothing special in the whole factory tour.  They've clearly decided to stagnate.

Online Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 08:32:43 »

Razer greens sound just as good as alps. But in terms of sound, nothing feels as good as alps.

Have you ever heard SKCM Blue? No way near that they sound as good as Alps a plastic click jacket switch can't compare to a metal leaf clicker. Don't let Chyrosan see this.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 08:37:37 by Sup »
current
Coming soon

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 09:01:43 »

Have you ever heard SKCM Blue? No way near that they sound as good as Alps a plastic click jacket switch can't compare to a metal leaf clicker. Don't let Chyrosan see this.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 11:40:52 »
So that is where he got it from ...

I wouldn't consider Alps to be of a higher standard [than Cherry MX]. IMHO, Alps can beat MX-based designs only on tactile feel.

Sound is mostly subjective, so I didn't count that in my comparison.

Subjectively, I think both sound equally horrible without damping. I have always thought that light clicky keyboards should be damped, to isolate the click - whose purpose is to act as feedback to actuation.
I do prefer the sound of my Dolch with vintage MX Blue with O-rings* over the sound of my Dell AT102W with franken-Alps with click leaf from SKCM White and slider from SKCM Cream Dampened.
I have not tried clicky Alps and MX blue in the same keyboard, which would be required for a truly just comparison. Case construction and keycaps matter a lot, as does damping method.

*Slim 3/16" orthodontic bands, not O-rings for OEM profile, you heathens!
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 19:47:21 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 12:24:32 »
This is just me speculating but I recently watched this video tour around Cherry Mx factory and I wonder if their german way of rigorously testing every imaginable situation is also hampering their innovation and also achieving the perfect "feeling".

That's all WW2 tech lvl,  nothing special in the whole factory tour.  They've clearly decided to stagnate.

It's been years since they uploaded that video too. Equipment could be somewhat worn out by now.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 12:28:34 »

Have you tried the V2 zealios? The bump is really sharp at right at the top. The only good Cherry switches are Vint Blacks, Good Retooled Blacks, and Clears (for making ergo clears). 

This whole campaign is just bull****, they can't win through having the better product, so they prey off the ignorant.

I ordered a 10-pack to test out, and yes i do agree with you that the tactile bump kinda feels like a needle if i thump it too hard.

But again, those switches are made for gentle hands and not bottoming out.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 12:29:44 »

I wouldn't consider Alps to be of a higher standard [than Cherry MX]. IMHO, Alps can beat MX-based designs only on tactile feel.

I think both are equally horrible without damping.
I do prefer the sound of my Dolch with vintage MX Blue with O-rings* over the sound of my Dell AT102W with franken-Alps with click leaf from SKCM White and slider from SKCM Cream Dampened.
Although, I have not tried clicky Alps and MX blue in the same keyboard, which would be required for a truly just comparison. Case construction and keycaps matter a lot, as does damping method.

So you're telling me to use my elastics on my keyboard? 😳😳😳😳

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 12:30:15 »

Oh no

Offline Venaros

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 18:32:59 »

I disagree, click jackets can never hope be as good as click leaves, click bars or beamsprings, their sound is just awful compared to them IMO.

I ordered a 10-pack to test out, and yes i do agree with you that the tactile bump kinda feels like a needle if i thump it too hard.

I don't see where you are coming from here either, the tactile bump on the V2 Zealios is so strong that you basically cannot avoid bottoming out during normal use (except for maybe the 78g ones).   

It's been years since they uploaded that video too. Equipment could be somewhat worn out by now.
That is what happened to the retooled blacks, at first they were pretty good, but now they're pretty scratchy.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 19:09:12 by Venaros »

Offline Venaros

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 19:11:33 »

Sound is mostly subjective, so I didn't count that in my comparison.

Subjectively, I think both are equally horrible without damping. I have always thought that light clicky keyboards should be damped, to isolate the click - whose purpose is to act as feedback to actuation.
I have not tried clicky Alps and MX blue in the same keyboard, which would be required for a truly just comparison. Case construction and keycaps matter a lot, as does damping method.

I mean, tactile feel is also mostly subjective

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 20:03:44 »
I mean, tactile feel is also mostly subjective
True, but force graphs aren't, and there are some things that can't be achieved with Cherry's mechanism alone.
Kaihl's click bar is an improvement in tactile feel, but a clicky switch should not be as loud on reset as on actuation.
🍉

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 22:42:32 »
Without getting too deep into the philosophical nature of subjectivity, switches are subjective. Arguing a particular switch "sounds" or "feels" better is an exercise in futility. "This thing sounds better and feels better than that other thing". Who are you talking to? It's like they're trying to convince themselves of this thing. In any case I think that the scorn towards Cherry is an interesting psychological occurrence analogous to angsty disdain of any "mainstream" thing. I think that there are many layers to that, but one possibility is there are good psychological reasons for this (we don't innovate or evolve if we don't get this type of hostility - which leads to that evolution and innovation).
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 22:47:45 by ptykozoon »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 11:42:33 »

I disagree, click jackets can never hope be as good as click leaves, click bars or beamsprings, their sound is just awful compared to them IMO.

I don't see where you are coming from here either, the tactile bump on the V2 Zealios is so strong that you basically cannot avoid bottoming out during normal use (except for maybe the 78g ones).   

That is what happened to the retooled blacks, at first they were pretty good, but now they're pretty scratchy.

I got the 65 G V2's