Author Topic: Software that changed everything for you:  (Read 4232 times)

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
Software that changed everything for you:
« on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 20:19:50 »
There have been a few pieces of software over the years that have changed everything about how I do things, a short list would be this:

1. Google Calendar
2. Deliveries (The MacOS App)
3. Terminology terminal. (Linux)
4. Nomachine (from windows to other OSes)

I could talk about all, and in time I probably will, but the one that changed everything for me the most was: Zerotier.

This is such a strange piece of software to describe, and I feel like I never do it right, but it in a way makes a VPN out of as many machines as you connect to it, but breaks down the connections so that they don't go all to one point and then relay, like with a VPN, they connect peer to peer, or as close as possible.

This allowed me to access my documents from across the planet quite safely, and ssh around with more security and minimal fuss. It also lets me interact with my Webserver more directly, and a variety of other things.

What it does is create a network interface on your machine, then you interact with all the other machines on the Zerotier network that you have created, as though they were all on the same LAN. It makes sharing files between friends easier for me too. (Lots of Linux user's in my friends group.) As well as share machines. I have a friend who remoted into a machine of mine to run complicated math with my excess compute cycles.

I still scour the net from time to time to find other pieces of software that may change everything for me again.

What about you? What software changed everything?

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Re: Software that changed everything for you:
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 19:52:23 »
Sound Source is fantastic on a mac if you want to control audio sources while connected over hdmi or usb c or whatever else. It's $29 so feels a little pricey just to get something back apple should have given you in the first place but it works well. I do recommend the trial though to make sure it works before using it as I had a friend not able to do what he wanted with it and was pretty bummed he paid for it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 23:45:28 »
I like MS Teams. Makes office communication and file sharing very easy.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 11:17:40 »
I like MS Teams. Makes office communication and file sharing very easy.

So I'm a Unix guy by nature and trade, but this right here:

Teams, and the Phone app, these are really cool bits of software that I just don't understand how Microsoft doesn't shout from the rooftops more. They advertise very little of the new things they are doing that are legitimately well built and good pieces of software.

I do dislike Microsoft for quite a few reasons, but I'll admit that from time to time they put out a good feature. I just wish they'd advertise them more.

I still surprise people by telling them I can text from Windows, using a Microsoft App.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline saesh

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 13:03:02 »
Software and systems they enabled me to do that sticked with me over the past years:

First YNAB, now hledger (macOS) - I have been using YNABs envelope budgeting system for 5 years now and it is a blessing for me. Gone are the days when impulse buys made me worry about future expenses. Now everything is budgeted and if a purchase exceeds a budget I have to think about from what budget I have to sacrifice money. I have transitioned to hledger two years ago and never looked back.

Docker (Linux) - This has made my life as a developer so much better. I use it personally to deploy self-hosted applications within minutes. I can go into more detail but it is a bit specific.

Things (iOS) - My inbox for all sorts of tasks and information. Things enables me to stay focused and dump all ideas and "need to look at later" stuff into one inbox. I have 15 minutes scheduled each day to look at the inbox and decide if the task is really worth my time, if yes it gets moved to a specific area and can be pulled when I am ready for it.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 19:37:37 »
So I'm a Unix guy by nature and trade, but this right here:

Teams, and the Phone app, these are really cool bits of software that I just don't understand how Microsoft doesn't shout from the rooftops more. They advertise very little of the new things they are doing that are legitimately well built and good pieces of software.

I do dislike Microsoft for quite a few reasons, but I'll admit that from time to time they put out a good feature. I just wish they'd advertise them more.

I still surprise people by telling them I can text from Windows, using a Microsoft App.

I hurd from microsoft wurkers that they had an extremely toxic culture @ microsoft throughout the later gates/ballmer days.  The new CEO has come in attempting to change that.

Their teams are also full of Older-Dudez, and u know how computer Geeks in the 60s-80s are like, they don't have the flashy personality of today's young folk.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 22:10:38 »
As simple as it is:

-Notes on iOS and Mac OS.

-AirDrop on Mac OS and iOS.

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 22:15:31 »
https://getgreenshot.org/ for taking screenshots, very handy, includes a pretty good image editor, can send to loads of destinations like Outlook, Paint, Word, Printer, built in image editor etc.
Gotcha. Those sacks look mouth watering.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 22:55:00 »
-Notes on iOS and Mac OS.

Ur not worried Apple will steal your 11 secret herbs and spices.

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 15:29:49 »
VirtualBox.  The ability to endlessly experiment with new software and OSs was a game changer for me.

Offline gipetto

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 16:37:00 »
I use telegram all the time now after I was introduced to it. I used to think encrypted messengers were too complex to use and it always put me on edge to know that what i wrote would come back and bite me some day. I know some would say the innocent have nothing to fear, but I find you can't please everyone all the time so it is an impossible task to try. I don't have many other ways to meet others rather than online.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • The sun god and destroyer of worlds
    • My promotion link
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 12:08:35 »
Premiere Pro and Blender with its wide range of plugins and other stuff changed the game in how i can create content and videos. Free if you crack premiere pro i guess.....

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 16:09:38 »
VirtualBox.  The ability to endlessly experiment with new software and OSs was a game changer for me.

I could probably talk at length about this too, this software blew my younger mind, and I still use it nearly daily.

I use Proxmox because of Virtualbox, and I learned tons about linux by using it.

Offline mariopepper

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 06:47:21 »
I don't even know what to say. Probably I can mention some of them. Visual studio for sure because that's how I started coding. EspoCRM is the second one because it means a lot for my work process and communication between co-workers.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 February 2020, 06:14:38 by mariopepper »

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 06:53:51 »
Sublime text 2 with many, many, […] many tweaks. Because for me it’s very fast, there is many packages, and this isn’t a click factory.
Synergy : Drive multiple OS / Computer with a single keyboard / mouse is very powerfull. I have buyed synergy 1 & 2 a long time ago but for some reason this isn’t stable anymore…
Paint.net, like paint but more powerfull.

and…

QMK
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline StickyBlueJuice

• Tactile pls
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 07:25:06 »
Sublime text 2 with many, many, […] many tweaks. Because for me it’s very fast, there is many packages, and this isn’t a click factory.
Synergy : Drive multiple OS / Computer with a single keyboard / mouse is very powerfull. I have buyed synergy 1 & 2 a long time ago but for some reason this isn’t stable anymore…
Paint.net, like paint but more powerfull.

and…

QMK
It's a shame what happened to Synergy.
I am using Barrier atm, it's a free fork of synergy. I think it's still being developed. https://github.com/debauchee/barrier - although last commit was in December.
Hopefully they are still working on it because there are a few kinks.

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 07:44:07 »
Premiere Pro and Blender with its wide range of plugins and other stuff changed the game in how i can create content and videos. Free if you crack premiere pro i guess.....

I have friends who had sworn off Premiere in favor of whatever native editing application they used. Needless to say we exchanged some strong words and now they see the light.

And blender used to be such garbage with a killer learning curve. With the most recent couple of iterations, it has really become an application that's friendly enough to the point that anyone should be able to use it. But seriously I remember back in 2010 trying to use it... yikes, and I've heard before that it was even worse.

Offline trashpanda

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 19:21:59 »
Google Maps / GPS, seriously, I was recently trying to remember life before I had Google Maps on my phone and had to actually remember step by step directions.

I almost think it's making people lose the ability to hold directions in their heads, or communicate them to others. If I had to tell someone how to get somewhere that involved more than 4 or 5 turns... honestly, I'm not sure that I could do it.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 19:38:41 »
There's been several.

Networking, Hamachi, VNC, Team Viewer - all allowed me to do more work from home.

Crashplan - cheap, easy remote backups, unfortunately it's gone and nothing has replaced it. This was a major loss.

Windows 2000 - The first truly GOOD Windows, it laid the groundwork for XP.
Linux - Windows be gone.
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/Vortex case, hand milled case, custom feet, custom paint, Klaxxon key caps, lubed and o-ringed Jailhouse Blues made from vintage Cherry MX Blues, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, removable cord, sound dampened. Winkey blockoff plate | Magicforce 68 w/Outemu Blues |KBT Race S L.E. w/Ergo-Clears, custom WASD keyset | Das Pro w/browns (Costar model) | IBM Model M (x2)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 22:03:47 »
Windows XP, ran everything great until microsoft forced DirectX 11 on us.

MPCHC, Plays all the videos

Lav Filter, video decoding, dedicated team, fast update

Madvr NGU, AI upscaling without image haloing.

Displaycal,  Everything is the right color.

HCFR,  Gooder tone response.

Offline zekth

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 04:13:20 »
DOOM

Offline DrivenKeys

• go down clickin', dawg
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 04:47:07 »
AutoHotKey makes relevant, professional tech support emails soooo much easier. A few strokes and you get your favorite paragraphs right there. With AHK, I could crank out 60-100 informative, personalized emails per day (it was still insane, very glad to no longer do that).
1994 Lexmark Model M, Unicomp EnduraPro, Leopold FC900R (MX Clears), Ducky One White LED (MX Whites), Das Keyboard X50q (love them Omrons!)

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 09:36:55 »
Vim

Python

Sed/Grep/Awk

Flux

IRC, and then Discord

All totally transformed how I do what I do with computers for the better, really paradigm-shifting software.
| Flickr | Current: GSKT-00/JaneV2CE/No2r1/Whale/Pro1/356mini/1390120/F107/3101

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 23:37:05 »
Vim

Python

Sed/Grep/Awk

Flux

IRC, and then Discord

All totally transformed how I do what I do with computers for the better, really paradigm-shifting software.

True story, Flux made me a nicer person. It allowed me to realize just how poorly I was sleeping in the evenings, I never ever thought it'd make a huge difference.

when I first used it, it was such a dramatic difference with how much better I slept, and then how much nicer I was to people after that.

It's one of the first pieces of software on any new machine of mine.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2020, 14:28:59 by jacethesaltsculptor »

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 14:24:27 »
  • SCCS made me love version control again.
  • Acme made me happily use a mouse.
  • Perl (Mojolicious) broke my stubborn mind about using a non-compiled language for web development.
  • iOS turned me from a Windows user into a system-agnostic user.
  • Pandora Mail (for Windows) makes e-mail a funny thing to do again.
  • Go (the language) has finally drawn me away from C.

Everything else does not really change anything for me.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122               IBM Model F XT
(review)

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 06:42:42 »
Lots of interesting software mentioned in this thread.

To me it'd be Linux (more precisely Slackware Linux, back in the mid nineties). I've been using Linux on the desktop ever since (and back then it took a real leap of faith).

Second contender is Emacs.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 06:45:51 »
Crashplan - cheap, easy remote backups, unfortunately it's gone and nothing has replaced it. This was a major loss.

I don't know Crashplan but I know Backblaze has quite a (apparently well deserved) cult following.  They're cheap and their blog posts are great (I love their trimestrial breakdowns about which hard disks models are the most reliable: they have so many they do know).

They're also "not MS, not Google, not Amazon" but a smaller player, which is always nice.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)