Author Topic: Radeon black screen bug - are you affected?  (Read 3459 times)

Offline bliss

• Retired
Radeon black screen bug - are you affected?
« on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 05:28:27 »
Are you or were you affected by the Radeon black screen bug haunting recent cards?
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2020, 09:33:36 by bliss »
Custom Color Process
"It was the Waldorf salad that was making me act like an a**!"
"Oh my god. You mean it, too!" She throws her head back in despair. "I knew it, I knew it."
"But you didn't even make it!" I scream. "It was catered!" - American Psycho, 'Christmas Party'

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
  • Topre Keysets Plz
Re: Radeon black screen bug - are you affected?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:20:58 »
Ditched 5700xt a while for 2060s. Very happy I made the move.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline bliss

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 16:01:49 »
Ditched 5700xt a while for 2060s. Very happy I made the move.

Interesting. On paper, performance of the two is virtually the same. Did the 5700xt give you problems or were you after Nvidia-specific features?

I normally choose Nvi cards for their compute ecosystem, but for a gaming-only system I am always open for a Radeon. When I see the issues on the software/firmware side at AMD, I am quickly discouraged though. Reports of the black screen bug have persisted for way too long now.
Custom Color Process
"Oh my god. You mean it, too!" She throws her head back in despair. "I knew it, I knew it."
"But you didn't even make it!" I scream. "It was catered!" - American Psycho, 'Christmas Party'

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
  • Topre Keysets Plz
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 05:56:00 »
I tried 3 different makes of the 5700xt on two different mobos. Had issues with all of them. Bad luck + bad drivers. I just wanted a system that I could use for school, gaming, and folding. Went back to good old nvidia and EVGA and I game and fold great on the 2060 super at 1440. I have really bad vision, so my settings being "ultra" never really mattered. I run close to it, though.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline bliss

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 07:31:41 »
I tried 3 different makes of the 5700xt on two different mobos. Had issues with all of them.

They only finish 95% and let the customers do the testing, it seems. Not good. Thanks for the input, should I build a gaming machine, it will be with Team Green.

Normally, I simply use my main PC when I want to play an occasional game, and it has RTX anyway. My future workstations will not have Windows installed any more though, and thus the interest for pure gaming hardware. I am preparing for STALKER 2; I want to fully dive into the game when it comes out, and will get an extra machine if "necessary" ;).
Custom Color Process

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 09:41:51 »
I had black screen bug back when ultra low voltage mode was introduced on the 6 and 7-series 2012 ish

Offline bliss

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 07:12:35 »
I had black screen bug back when ultra low voltage mode was introduced on the 6 and 7-series 2012 ish

What did you do to resolve it?

I am trying to get a picture about the state of AMD graphics nowadays. My Radeons were always without problems, both hardware and software. My newest one is an Antigua though, went Nvidia since.
Custom Color Process

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 04:07:10 »
No but I noticed Radeon Pro has an odd issue. It constantly quickly turns on/off the monitor backlight when unattended. Does the gaming one have this issue?