Author Topic: no0 i-fone gonna be Bananas.  (Read 3013 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
no0 i-fone gonna be Bananas.
« on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 10:42:09 »
Look what AMD is able to cook up on the latest 7nm process from TSMC. +19% IPC, Zen3 architecture.

AAPL has dibs on TSMC's entire 5nm capacity.   

no0 i-fone CPU's gon' be crazy gud'.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: no0 i-fone gonna be Bananas.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 11:57:55 »
IPC is the last thing I'm worred about in a phone and as a modder a totally locked down system is not at all attractive.  The only good part could be battery life but that's only for a couple of years if you're lucky until they decide you need a new one and 'update' it with the poor battery life patch.

Are AMD skipping 5nm or is dibs only on current capacity with expansion planned?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 12:40:36 »
AAPL picking up the tab to build out the 5nm capacity.  That's the dibs.  TSMC does not have any more capacity than that which is sold to AAPL.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 22:39:14 »
Meh, anything upper end from the last couple years has been more than enough for me to do what I need. I don't seem to be alone in that sentiment, a LOT of tech people have really just noped out of the whole phone scene.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline JianYang

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 01:42:41 »
AMD went from 7nm to 7nm and managed a 19% IPC...

On the other hand, things become less intuitive at these small feature size - so I would place less emphasis on that. Regardless of that Apple has always managed to impress with gains on each iteration of their processor design...

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 02:01:59 »
Look what AMD is able to cook up on the latest 7nm process from TSMC. +19% IPC, Zen3 architecture.

AAPL has dibs on TSMC's entire 5nm capacity.   

no0 i-fone CPU's gon' be crazy gud'.

well it is a phone CPU so while AMD has 15 to 90W and a lot of die space apple has maybe 2 to 5W and a way smaller die the whole cpu package fits in one of zen's die, and lastly, ARM64 vs AMD64, or RISC vs CISC, ARM will not be as good at doing random computation as x86 is because it does not have specialized instructions and so need much better optimizations. so with all of that i do not really expect it to be too crazy, well when it comes to power, when it comes to pricing i am confident that apple is fully capable of making it crazy expensive, who wants a 3k$ phone? :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 13:15:46 »
Just watched the i-fone 12 presentation.

Honestly,   League of Legend is coming to Iphone.  I mean.. Tp4 would buy 1 for THAT ALONE... LOLOL..

The Camera is also quite impressive.  They tout Dolby Vision workflow record in 10bit HDR.

It remains to be seen what depth that software is capable of.  But For the camera to have an HDR dynamic range is pretty interesting.

As for the Lidar.  mm... it's cool, but, meh..

If benchmarks hold up..  Tp4's in 41.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 08:06:20 »
The cameras on the iPhone 11 and 12 have been, so far, the only draw for me to go back to an iPhone.  Apple at least got their video capabilities right compared to the competition.  In the end it's still a small sensor compared to a Full Frame camera, and I have to say for the price of the new phones I'm torn between them or a Canon EOS R w/ EF Adapter (so I can keep my glass I currently run).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 09:41:19 »
The cameras on the iPhone 11 and 12 have been, so far, the only draw for me to go back to an iPhone.  Apple at least got their video capabilities right compared to the competition.  In the end it's still a small sensor compared to a Full Frame camera, and I have to say for the price of the new phones I'm torn between them or a Canon EOS R w/ EF Adapter (so I can keep my glass I currently run).

There's no way a small sensor will have the REAL dynamic range of a big sensor.

Their marketing is based on the fact that those critical scenarios don't apply to the average user. For the amateur hour world, computational photography, essentially fake dynamic range is good enough.

That said, whatever the case is for small sensor,  AAPL is still doing a crazy good job with it.

Their sensor stabilization is pretty cool.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 20:53:52 »
Imagine not including a charger

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 22:33:26 »
"It just works"*

*Sort of. May require a bag of dongles, all of which are readily available at your nearest Apple store (you DO live near one right?). May not work with non Apple certified dongles (because we said so!). Payday lenders are standing by the help. That feeling of doubt eventually goes away if you spend enough, how about a new Mac Pro, we have mortgage brokers standing by to help.

Note:
It just works does not apply to Mac Pro owners who bought an $60k machine just before we announced a new architecture making it obsolete in less than a year. Welcome to the Apple product cycle. We'll have a replacement soon. Can't afford it (you pleb), don't worry, we'll have lawyers standing by to help you sign over your soul or first born child, however we no longer accept wives because of Joe. Rot in hell Joe.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 22:49:19 »
"It just works"*

*Sort of. May require a bag of dongles, all of which are readily available at your nearest Apple store (you DO live near one right?). May not work with non Apple certified dongles (because we said so!). Payday lenders are standing by the help. That feeling of doubt eventually goes away if you spend enough, how about a new Mac Pro, we have mortgage brokers standing by to help.

Note:
It just works does not apply to Mac Pro owners who bought an $60k machine just before we announced a new architecture making it obsolete in less than a year. Welcome to the Apple product cycle. We'll have a replacement soon. Can't afford it (you pleb), don't worry, we'll have lawyers standing by to help you sign over your soul or first born child, however we no longer accept wives because of Joe. Rot in hell Joe.

I feel like if they weren't gonna include a charger,  why not include a USB-3.0 to Lighting cable instead of a USB-C to lightning.

So now essentially they've increased e-waste because everyone has to upgrade to C-chargers. ??

Offline Sniping

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 23:35:41 »
"It just works"*

Note:

I feel like if they weren't gonna include a charger,  why not include a USB-3.0 to Lighting cable instead of a USB-C to lightning.

So now essentially they've increased e-waste because everyone has to upgrade to C-chargers. ??

I doubt they care about e-waste. it's definitely more about pushing people on fast charging (which is great honestly) and selling people a 97w power adapter that they definitely wouldn't have thrown in for free. i can see the need. honestly the normal power blocks charge so slowly nowadays that the only thing it's still good for is that they're so plentiful now

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 00:59:18 »
They did that with the Iphone 10 or X, I'm lost on Iphone names at this point. As much of a jerk as Jobs was at least he wasn't doing this sort of crap.

You couldn't charge from any of their laptops since they only have USB type C.
Now you can charge from their computers, but not a common power brick or most other laptops, including many of the bricks they themselves sold previously. The best solution is to make the Iphone type-C but that won't happen unless they're forced. They get royalties on anything sold with it and by the time that patent expires they will probably be doing wireless charging and remove the port entirely.

It may have been good at one time but these days Iphones  (and Macs) are the hardware equivalent of pay-to-win games. Including the warranty on them.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yui

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 01:58:44 »
I would go for the dslr any day, even a cheap dslr will outperform the iphone in pretty much any metrics, especially fun of tinkering with all the settings, lens, flash, etc.. although an adapter will either be costly or you will lose any auto-focus and stabilization. for the price of a new iphone i got a perfectly capable android phone(120€), a Nikon D3100 (300€ when bought) and 5 lenses (from 15€ to 75€ + one with the body) and i still have a chunk of money left (about 340€) although apart from 2 lenses and the body everything was used, so helps too.
But you have more chargers and a much bigger bag to carry all of that around. and from my experience, i only ever use my yongnuo 50mm or helios 42 depending on how involved i want to be, so could be even cheaper.
so yes the iphone can run photoshop etc and my phone can't and it can't hold a candle to the i phone in photo quality but i have something more comfortable and overall better to take photos and with the leftover money i think i could buy a pretty good screen for photo editing, if i ever wanted to edit photos.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 07:58:36 »
I doubt they care about e-waste. it's definitely more about pushing people on fast charging (which is great honestly) and selling people a 97w power adapter that they definitely wouldn't have thrown in for free. i can see the need. honestly the normal power blocks charge so slowly nowadays that the only thing it's still good for is that they're so plentiful now

Fast charging kills the battery cycle count..  And without removable batteries, it's a huge pain down the line, and additional cost/ risk.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 08:02:11 »
I would go for the dslr any day, even a cheap dslr will outperform the iphone in pretty much any metrics, especially fun of tinkering with all the settings, lens, flash, etc..

Everyone agrees with that.  But, unless it's for a JOB,  if you're just outside,  it's plain cumbersome to have a DSLR ball and chain around the neck.

Of course the ideal solution is don't go outside, don't take pictures.  Buhh, Only Extremely High Lvl Cave dwellers like Tp4 can manage such feat of Hermitude..

Offline yui

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 08:18:03 »
I would go for the dslr any day, even a cheap dslr will outperform the iphone in pretty much any metrics, especially fun of tinkering with all the settings, lens, flash, etc..

Everyone agrees with that.  But, unless it's for a JOB,  if you're just outside,  it's plain cumbersome to have a DSLR ball and chain around the neck.

Of course the ideal solution is don't go outside, don't take pictures.  Buhh, Only Extremely High Lvl Cave dwellers like Tp4 can manage such feat of Hermitude..

i miss the good old days of being a no social life cave dweller :) and you get used to the weight, or do like me and not put it around your neck and instead wrap the band around my wrist, must freer to take pictures that way although as i do not look at either the screen or viewfinder most photos end up over or under exposed but that's the game :)

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 08:40:29 »
Yeah I rarely use my camera strap around my neck, also my camera bag doubles as a backpack  :thumb:
I mainly use my phone's camera for those moments I cant get to my camera fast enough with my son - also my current cameras don't have video capabilities (Canon 50D and XSi/450D) which is why I mentioned the EOS R (prefer Canon's UI and ecosytem - but have considered Sony's as well).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 09:21:54 »
Yeah I rarely use my camera strap around my neck, also my camera bag doubles as a backpack  :thumb:
I mainly use my phone's camera for those moments I cant get to my camera fast enough with my son - also my current cameras don't have video capabilities (Canon 50D and XSi/450D) which is why I mentioned the EOS R (prefer Canon's UI and ecosytem - but have considered Sony's as well).

Gotta future proof all your videos with 10bit or 12/16bit .

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 09:32:40 »
Good thing the new iPhone will be 10bit  :thumb:
Also other than the EOS R been looking at the R6 since the R5 is way out of budget for now.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 October 2020, 09:34:39 by Darthbaggins »

Offline yui

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 10:01:35 »
true that oldish dslr are very lacking in video capabilities and i kinda hate the fact that owning a nikon locks me into buying nikor lenses and if i change body either i have to buy all new lenses or stick with nikon, same with pretty much all of them but those using the micro 4/3 and C mounts i think, kinda why i hate the apple way of life also.
and the 50D completely outclasses mine, better in every way even being older, nice one

Offline Sniping

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 11:46:08 »

Fast charging kills the battery cycle count..  And without removable batteries, it's a huge pain down the line, and additional cost/ risk.

**** it man, imma just keep fast charging my phone. not sure if the battery health estimate is remotely accurate but my battery health went from 100% to 90% in a year. my phone will be long gone before the battery depletes. it's kinda like overclocking, who cares if it shortens the lifespan of the component, i'm gonna do it anyways. also, i'm not sure if you use an iphone but there's a charging feature where your phone will charge to 80-90% capacity when you charge it overnight and only charge the last 10 odd percent right before your normal waking hours in the morning.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 12:01:12 »
**** it man, imma just keep fast charging my phone. not sure if the battery health estimate is remotely accurate but my battery health went from 100% to 90% in a year. my phone will be long gone before the battery depletes. it's kinda like overclocking, who cares if it shortens the lifespan of the component, i'm gonna do it anyways. also, i'm not sure if you use an iphone but there's a charging feature where your phone will charge to 80-90% capacity when you charge it overnight and only charge the last 10 odd percent right before your normal waking hours in the morning.

The way it's rated is  after ~ 300 cycles,  it will be around 80% initial capacity, at this point it's considered depleted and should be replaced.  The risk of swelling / fire greatly increases.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 15 October 2020, 12:51:34 »

The way it's rated is  after ~ 300 cycles,  it will be around 80% initial capacity, at this point it's considered depleted and should be replaced.  The risk of swelling / fire greatly increases.

honestly that never concerned me haha. 80% initial capacity sounds like plenty to me, and honestly i've never even heard an anecdotal story about someone's iphone swelling or catching fire on any model. maybe i'm just living life on the edge.

also a tangential note that i looked more into those dual cell panels that hisense was coming out with that you were talking about a bunch...they're kinda expensive. it's like 3500 aud. honestly i have a hard time swallowing any tv that's price anywhere near a grand and above. seems like for the current gen hisense has been letting people down with panel lottery and support.

Offline yui

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 01:19:53 »
if you really want to save your battery lifetime (even if it is for the next owner) just keep the battery between 90 and 20%, Li-ion batteries would rather spend their life as far away from either extremes as possible, while Ni-Cd do want to be at 100% as much as possible and be fully discharged before charging again