Author Topic: Credit Cards on Tv  (Read 1574 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Credit Cards on Tv
« on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 03:42:31 »
Why do peeps get embarrassed when their credit card gets declined ?

There are so many conditions where this could happen, the majority of which don't seem embarrassing.

Offline yui

Re: Credit Cards on Tv
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 04:56:15 »
Why do peeps get embarrassed when their credit card gets declined ?

There are so many conditions where this could happen, the majority of which don't seem embarrassing.

i get embarrassed when i slow down other peoples, if my payment get refused even though it is because of a dirty chip, i make everyone wait more than they need to, so i feel embarrassed. i know that it may seem strange but this is my reason, other peoples well being seems more important to me than my own.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 08:23:23 »
In the days before internet shopping/fraud there was only one reason a card got declined - you were broke.  Many shoppers are still old enough to remember these times...

These days it's often for 'security' but when I went somewhere I'd never been and bought something expensive and didn't notice they added an extra 9 before the . making it my biggest ever physical shop purchase by a long way it just went through, which is kinda worrying.

@yui - do you hold others to these high standards or is this an ego thing and you should be better while if someone else had the problem it's expected/accepted?  While I wouldn't call it embarassment I can relate and it's definitely ego for me - 'if I can't even shop efficiently what use am I?' type thinking.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 09:50:32 »
When I worked retail in college, a declined card usually meant the user was overdrawn and overdue for payment.  Certain codes in the system would require us to call the credit card company.  I can remember on a few occasions we were told to destroy the card and not return it to the customer. 

But yeah, mostly now a declined card just means you purchased something expensive or in a market area where you haven't ever spent significant money or is known to be a spot for theft purchases.

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 14:12:10 »
In the days before internet shopping/fraud there was only one reason a card got declined - you were broke.  Many shoppers are still old enough to remember these times...

These days it's often for 'security' but when I went somewhere I'd never been and bought something expensive and didn't notice they added an extra 9 before the . making it my biggest ever physical shop purchase by a long way it just went through, which is kinda worrying.

@yui - do you hold others to these high standards or is this an ego thing and you should be better while if someone else had the problem it's expected/accepted?  While I wouldn't call it embarassment I can relate and it's definitely ego for me - 'if I can't even shop efficiently what use am I?' type thinking.
i very rarely hold anyone to those standards, but then i view pretty much everyone else's time as more valuable than mine, so it is why i hate wasting peoples time and am perfectly fine when someone is wasting mine, although i do not use cards anymore because their security is rather worrying (there is almost none, only a tiny bit of weak encryption and a lot of obscurity, that was enough 30 years ago, no longer is)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 16:38:46 »
I also don't like holding up the line when my chip doesn't get recognized. This is exponentially annoying during covid times.

And I've gotten threatened before when I worked in retail in high school and someone's card didn't go through. Like it was my fault...
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 09:23:50 »
Psychologists often will suggest things like co-dependency and being a “people pleaser”when you are concerned about how you actions affect others. Step back and take a deep breath. You are just being considerate.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 October 2020, 09:47:54 »
The base human culture has been rotted by capitalism to reward psychopaths with a total lack of empathy.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 14:00:17 »
The only times I personally have been declined, was due to I was buying something over my daily limit on my debit card (don't have credit cards, just cause problems in the long run for me) - normally I would tell the cashier to hold the transaction and help the next customer while I called my bank to have them raise the limit for 24hrs.  I normally pay attention to my accounts so I don't get declined due to insufficient funds.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D