Author Topic: Anyone know about walls (shelf question)  (Read 1482 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Anyone know about walls (shelf question)
« on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 06:41:39 »
I bought a shelf many years ago when I was young (at least 10 years ago) but got scared before putting it up.  Today I'm revisiting the idea having had some building related experience but I'm still coming up short on how this is supposed to work.

As I understand it walls are brick or block with plaster on top, in which case you drill a big hole, insert a rawlplug then screw in a wood screw or they have studs with plasterboard in which case you either find the studs and use wood screws or use special fixings which expand in the gap - either of these would be fine.

On removing a socket to check which my walls are I found a grey block with a chunk taken out for the socket with a 1/4" gap then a board.  Not enough room for expanding fittings, but surely putting all the weight on screws which are basically unsupported for the first 3/4" is not a good idea?  I'm hoping to put some weight on this shelf and plan to sleep below it so failure is not an option :eek:

Any thoughts?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Anyone know about walls (shelf question)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 07:14:51 »
I don't know about British construction standards, so I will not advise you directly.

That said, what you want to do is quite possible but I strongly recommend that you do not attempt it yourself if you are not competent and comfortable doing the work. For one thing, what do you know about drilling into masonry?

A good experienced handyman should be able to do this at a reasonable price, while a professional might not take on a job that small.

"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 07:31:20 »
I'm not entirely sure I understand the construction method used, it sounds like someone put up drywall over the blocks with a gap between. In which case I'm not sure how to advice you because of moisture issues it could cause. You don't want drywall right up against bricks, which would explain the gap, but I would have expected a larger gap. If you try and span that gap, yes the strength is an issue, but you could also pull the drywall into the brick.

More importantly though... Don't put a shelf over your bed.
If it comes loose and/or has a small slant, walls can rattle (trucks going by, earthquake)... Things can and do move around and fall off. My brother got nailed by a trophy once. He was not as amused as I was. I grew up in earthquake country so it may not be a big of a problem elsewhere but I still follow the same rules.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 08:10:27 »
Further searching has revealed a method which is basically "throw random blobs of plaster on the wall and stick boards to it" which seems to be what this is.  It's an internal wall so no damp issues, it's been up nearly 30 years.  No earthquakes here either and trucks are far enough to ignore but I'm not going to get a handyman to do it today (if it's even allowed during lockdown) and back to work next week so the shelf is back on hold.

I hope your brother wasn't literally nailed by a fishing or snooker trophy Leslieann, that sounds very painful!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 09:02:58 »
To get in brick, you don't need a hammer drill - you need a masonry bit that will cut into the brick.  But it sounds like a block base, with wood framing and drywall over that - if that's the case find the studs (wood framing over the block) and mount into studs - just make sure to use screws that are long enough to bite into the stud properly.  If you truely are unsure, hire a handyman or contractor to put them up for you - I can bet there is someone in your area that could do it for a decent price and do it properly.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 10:36:21 »
To get in brick, you don't need a hammer drill - you need a masonry bit that will cut into the brick.  But it sounds like a block base, with wood framing and drywall over that - if that's the case find the studs (wood framing over the block) and mount into studs - just make sure to use screws that are long enough to bite into the stud properly.  If you truely are unsure, hire a handyman or contractor to put them up for you - I can bet there is someone in your area that could do it for a decent price and do it properly.

Well, if you're just doing a couple holes, the mason bit alone will be fine.   But without the vibratn' it takes longer to drill.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 17:51:59 »
You are not getting good advice here, and your description is equivocal.

If the structural wall is masonry and the interior finish is drywall or paneling, then you need to ascertain how the interior finish is affixed to the structural surface. Typically, "furring strips" are used to set the interior finish off from a masonry wall, for various reasons, and these are usually thick enough to create space for insulation and things like wiring, as well as to have some "meat" that you can realistically screw something into. That would usually be more than 1/4" (6mm), in the US at least 2x-3x that amount.

Depending on the bearing surface of the brackets or whatever holds up the shelves, crushing the drywall is not likely a problem, but collapsing the space behind it could be. One way of dealing with a void would be to drill a larger hole in the wall panel and stack up washers to come back up to the the bearing surface plane, assuming that you have good masonry anchoring.

My recommendation of seeking outside help (even a cousin's boyfriend or the friend of a friend of a co-worker) who understands construction and recognizes your situation still stands and would be invaluable. Maybe you could even pay them in beer.

"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 04:07:29 »
Thanks fohat, I like the idea of "big hole and washers" but no way am I going to try it.  I found two solid strips I assumed were studs so they may well be "furring strips" as there's definitely not 1 1/2" for a 2x4 stud (maybe 1/2" and the hole I was looking in had a fuzzy edge...) but then I found a ~6" solid circle(ish) where the next one should be.  Just as well or I'd have been using a wood drill and screws into masonary!

I'm not touching it, will have to wait for lockdown to be lifted to get anyone in regardless of what they would like to be paid in.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iri

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 13:49:16 »
Holes in the wall suck, use balusters.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury