Author Topic: Acer Monitors (2020)  (Read 2276 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Acer Monitors (2020)
« on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 06:26:16 »
Seems everyone bought dat Wallywurl  Acer 32"(31.5) 165hz VA monitor this year.

Well, how is it ? <as measured by Tp>

model: ED320QR   

- $155
- 1800R (1.8m radius)  Curve
- 96.3% Srgb Coverage, Green isn't as wide, but it has nearly Perfect Blue and Red
- 3800:1 native contrast ratio (higher than most samsungs in this price range)
- 3730:1 post calibration (2 point gamma drags the curve slightly too low, but it gives better native accuracy)

- Has a CMS (color management system), 2-Point white balance, 6-axis Hue/ Saturation. Samsung doesn't give you this. Samsung in this range only has RGB gain, not nearly as good. Most other monitors give you nothing. This tells you they've put in a Strong lcd chipset.

- 165hz over displayport, 144hz over hdmi

- VRB, this is their Ulmb/Backlight strobe function:
... On a VA panel, there's quite a bit of strobe crosstalk (a light quadruple image ghosting @ 165hz), but this is merely the nature of VA's slower response vs fast-IPS.  You won't find much better strobe on VA. Still, overall motion clarity is much improved over Non-strobed panels.  This is quite a premium function, you almost never see it in this price range.

- Freesync Premium, so it works at 120hz and above.

- Screen uniformity good.

Overall, Blown away by what Acer is doing @ $155.

Movies and Dark-games (doom2016) look great thanks to good contrast ratio. Way ahead of any IPS.

We all know about those 5 dead pixel in the center of the screen Acers from 10-15 yrs ago. Clearly they've improved.

It's going in and out of stock online/local @ wallywurl.. still buyable, should be more during BF.

Wishlist: if they'd add strobe tuning utility or an editable strobe frequency/amplitude control, that'd be nice.

vvvv Witness that' Blue, it's sooooo right.

255786-0

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Acer Monitors (2020)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 11:06:42 »
I don't know what half of this stuff is but if you say it's good I'll pass the recommendation on if anyone asks - a tp4 approved monitor has to be better than a non-approved one, calibrated or not.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 19:41:05 »
I don't know what half of this stuff is but if you say it's good I'll pass the recommendation on if anyone asks - a tp4 approved monitor has to be better than a non-approved one, calibrated or not.

When in doubt, Contrast is King (For image quality)

VRB, ULMB/Lightboots/backlight strobe, (this are g4m3r stuffs)

Tp4 will be using this to replace his old smaller piano monitor for sheet music.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 01:38:09 »
I like my massive acer monitor, but does it really need to cycle through all inputs when cold-booting or even just waking up? All this nice pc gear and my monitor wants coffee to get going.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 02:12:13 »
damn that's honestly a great spec for $150. if it was 1440p that'd be unbelievable value. i'm trying to think about how to make a secondary gaming monitor fit in my setup with my main TV. i've been thinking about putting the gaming monitor on my monitor arm and pushing it away when i'm not using it but even that's a not very elegant setup

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 08:49:25 »
I like my massive acer monitor, but does it really need to cycle through all inputs when cold-booting or even just waking up? All this nice pc gear and my monitor wants coffee to get going.

Try setting the auto-input switch to off.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 08:50:26 »
damn that's honestly a great spec for $150. if it was 1440p that'd be unbelievable value. i'm trying to think about how to make a secondary gaming monitor fit in my setup with my main TV. i've been thinking about putting the gaming monitor on my monitor arm and pushing it away when i'm not using it but even that's a not very elegant setup

Tp4 did that back in the day. It's just easier to have m0ar computers in different rooms, or same room, but 2 tables.

Tp4 is also thinking about drilling into the piano to mount this monitor, because sheetmusic sucks.

Buhhh, it's really hard wood and the vesa mounting position is odd such that I wouldn't be able to swap out the monitor later to the same position.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 13:35:43 »
I say CX48 for a good monitor :D
Right, tp?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Drop CSTM80 | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline yui

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 02:35:21 »
Tp4 is also thinking about drilling into the piano to mount this monitor, because sheetmusic sucks.

Buhhh, it's really hard wood and the vesa mounting position is odd such that I wouldn't be able to swap out the monitor later to the same position.[/size][/color]
to me the new pi e-paper display would make more sense here but maybe a bit small for tp's taste :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 08:43:25 »
to me the new pi e-paper display would make more sense here but maybe a bit small for tp's taste :)

For sheetmusac, it has to be around 32",  An ultrawide would be even better, but the cost would be astronomical for the size.

E-ink is ok, but contrast isn't as good as LCD.  Because you want the panel down to ~ 20-30 nits peak High contrast really helps with legibility.

Offline yui

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 02:27:58 »

For sheetmusac, it has to be around 32",  An ultrawide would be even better, but the cost would be astronomical for the size.

E-ink is ok, but contrast isn't as good as LCD.  Because you want the panel down to ~ 20-30 nits peak High contrast really helps with legibility.

e-ink do not have brightness as it does not emit light and from what i have seen of them they have a pretty decent contrast, although i only can compare to my old laptops, they do not nearly get close to e-ink in term of contrast, but then old (10 next year!)...
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 10:13:34 »

e-ink do not have brightness as it does not emit light and from what i have seen of them they have a pretty decent contrast, although i only can compare to my old laptops, they do not nearly get close to e-ink in term of contrast, but then old (10 next year!)...

Some E-ink setups have no backlight, Some do.