Author Topic: MX-brown, Impressions + Hate thread  (Read 25109 times)

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
MX-brown, Impressions + Hate thread
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 20:42:43 »
Quote from: rknize;548108
My two cents: if you want tactile, get a Model M.  Nothing compares.  If you want to quiet it down a tad, do a grease or "floss" mod.  I've done both.

I challenge you to type on a 55g Topre and still say that.  If you like heavy switches with great tactility, but also like quiet switches, you will love the 55g. I would actually say that to me the 55g feels more tactile than my unicomp with buckling springs.  The 45g however, I wouldn't recommend, I'm still trying to get used to it.  You wouldn't think that only 10g would make such a huge difference, but it really is night and day.

Offline notnay

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 20:56:28 »
Has anyone gone from blues-> browns and acutally been happy with the switch? Currently on blues, but about to snag another board, was thinking browns.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 21:06:02 »
Quote from: notnay;548340
Has anyone gone from blues-> browns and acutally been happy with the switch? Currently on blues, but about to snag another board, was thinking browns.

I've had both plus reds and clears. Love browns. I don't like the high pitched whine that blues give off when they click. THey are ok to type on but not my best.

I prefer ergo clears.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 21:22:53 »
Quote from: quickcrx702;548332
I challenge you to type on a 55g Topre and still say that.  If you like heavy switches with great tactility, but also like quiet switches, you will love the 55g. I would actually say that to me the 55g feels more tactile than my unicomp with buckling springs.  The 45g however, I wouldn't recommend, I'm still trying to get used to it.  You wouldn't think that only 10g would make such a huge difference, but it really is night and day.

I have not been able to stomach the cost of a RealForce, so i can't really respond to that.  Having tried so many keyboards now, I always find my old Model M the easiest and most comfortable to type on.  However, that may just be due to the fact that I have been using it for so many years.  Having said that, I do notice that it takes more effort to type on it than my other boards.  When typing from muscle memory (i'm a programmer), I can really crank on it.

At this point, I'm just having fun switching things up once in a while.
Russ

Offline xquisit

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 21:28:40 »
I'm having such a hard time deciding, without ever trying browns (just black/red/blue).

I would like to have one keyboard, and not purchase any.  I actually liked the click the blues gave off on the BKU, that I tried at Frys, and I was wondering if it would get annoying after weeks/months/years of use.  I'd like to someday buy an ipad or laptop and use a TKL keyboard with them (even though I REALLY like scissor switches).  I can imagine late night gaming or bringing my keyboard to class/library and end up annoying everyone within 20ft of my blue switches.

No idea what to do, I wish I could try a brown :|
I\'d rather die like a man than live like a coward - 2pac

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 21:36:44 »
Brown is very similar to reds when you are typing fast. Theres just a small rough feeling in the keypress with the browns.

Offline yttrium

• http://boards.4chan.org/g/
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 21:39:33 »
Agreed, reds and browns are similar in many fashions.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline xquisit

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 21:56:16 »
In that case, I don't need to try browns. My first keyboard will be a blue. Thanks.

Offline yttrium

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 21:58:29 »
They're different, but they are similar.

Check the wiki for what I mean.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 22:00:51 »
Quote from: rknize;548368
I have not been able to stomach the cost of a RealForce, so i can't really respond to that.  Having tried so many keyboards now, I always find my old Model M the easiest and most comfortable to type on.  However, that may just be due to the fact that I have been using it for so many years.  Having said that, I do notice that it takes more effort to type on it than my other boards.  When typing from muscle memory (i'm a programmer), I can really crank on it.

At this point, I'm just having fun switching things up once in a while.

I agree, the cost really is very high.  However, if you buy one, you will wonder why you ever spent so much money trying out other keyboards.  I find more enjoyment in my 55g than I do on my mx blue, brown, and unicomp put together.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 22:05:38 »
Quote from: xquisit;548403
In that case, I don't need to try browns. My first keyboard will be a blue. Thanks.

The blue really is a good choice if you don't mind the noise.  Some people never get annoyed by the noise, and actually find it quite enjoyable.  I gave my blue board to my buddy as a permanent loaner maybe a month or two ago, instead of having it sit in my garage, and he absolutely loves the noise.  Like I said earlier, the noise is actually quite nice to me, but only in small doses.

Offline silat

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 22:10:14 »
Quote from: tp4tissue;547937
correction,, they're the Best for typing.

In your opinion.
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline yttrium

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 22:13:29 »
Quote from: silat;548423
In your opinion.

This.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 22:17:45 »
i can tolerate just about any switch besides red and black.

blue being my favorite. possibly being over taken by green once a get a board with either ghetto greens or actual greens.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline anselben

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 22:57:52 »
I really enjoy typing on the blues. They feel great to me, and I don't mind the noise at all. I'm wondering how much I'd like different switches after reading all of these split opinions on here.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 23:18:28 »
Would like to try Topre someday, but first I'll worry about ordering my first mechanical keyboard tonight!

Offline anselben

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 23:28:27 »
Quote from: xquisit;548472
Would like to try Topre someday, but first I'll worry about ordering my first mechanical keyboard tonight!

What are you getting?

Offline xquisit

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 23:32:48 »
KBT-RACE /w Blues

Offline anselben

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 23:39:53 »
awesome, enjoy

Offline sam113101

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 23:47:39 »
Quote from: notnay;548340

I HATE blues but love browns! And yes, I tried blues first.
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline andyhoang

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 23:54:51 »
Ergonomics > Brown

Offline anselben

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 00:17:25 »
Wondering what would be better to try next. brown, black, or red.. i could just deal with returning it each time if i don't like it lol

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 00:24:15 »
Browns were my favorite by far, for a long time. But I will say that the more I type on this RealForce, the more I like it.

Offline anselben

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 00:42:28 »
What exactly do you like about the browns?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 01:12:32 »
They just feel more solid. I like s good solid feel to my keyswitches. I found that while I did like blues, the tactile point and click were almost too sharp. It felt "thin". That's the best way I can describe it. Browns had a bit more of a solid feel to them (probably because I bottom them out a bit more). I like the deeper sound they make rather than the high pitched "click" of the blues. It's more of a "clack". Also, the slight tactile point gives me feedback that the switch is actually doing something.

However, I've found that as far as Cherry switches go, it depends on what I'm doing. For gaming, I definitely prefer the reds. But for working/writing, browns followed by blues.

Although I'm really, really starting to think that I might end up preferring Topre to all of 'em.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 01:14:40 »
I have a feeling I will end up buying more mechanical keyboards, after this first one >>

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 01:17:42 »
Quote from: daerid;548607
They just feel more solid. I like s good solid feel to my keyswitches. I found that while I did like blues, the tactile point and click were almost too sharp. It felt "thin". That's the best way I can describe it. Browns had a bit more of a solid feel to them (probably because I bottom them out a bit more). I like the deeper sound they make rather than the high pitched "click" of the blues. It's more of a "clack". Also, the slight tactile point gives me feedback that the switch is actually doing something.

However, I've found that as far as Cherry switches go, it depends on what I'm doing. For gaming, I definitely prefer the reds. But for working/writing, browns followed by blues.

Although I'm really, really starting to think that I might end up preferring Topre to all of 'em.

That's probably the main thing I don't like about blues. They have sort of a flimsy feel to them imo. I also like a solid feel.

Offline anselben

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 01:18:39 »
Quote from: daerid;548607

That's interesting. I know what you mean with the blues, and now I'm excited to try the browns and see how I like them. Would even be possible to replace my blue keyboard with them if i like em that much! But yeah, I definitely want to try the reds, I've heard they're great for gaming and all that.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 01:21:43 »
Quote from: xquisit;548612
I have a feeling I will end up buying more mechanical keyboards, after this first one >>

Oh definitely, you will. My current 5 are after a 3 month bout last year that saw me blow through $1000 and end up with 11 boards, and then I turned around and sold all but 2, and then I gradually replaced them. I'm happy with my current lineup tho (we'll see how long that lasts).

Offline xquisit

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 01:30:00 »
Quote from: daerid;548619
Oh definitely, you will. My current 5 are after a 3 month bout last year that saw me blow through $1000 and end up with 11 boards, and then I turned around and sold all but 2, and then I gradually replaced them. I'm happy with my current lineup tho (we'll see how long that lasts).

I dig your setup, and I wish I could try browns... I'm just not worried, with the amount of time I'm spending on this forum I know I'll pick up the "bug" to buy more.

I actually want to try Ergo Clears as well!
Where can I buy a ghetto keyboard with clears for cheap? I'm anticipating on learning how to solder/desolder and modify my first keyboard.

Offline Mugen

• O-Rings are the murderers of keyboard souls
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 01:32:59 »
Red ftw.
Blues are awesome because when you play SC2 with them it makes you feel like a boss!

Offline anselben

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 01:37:16 »
Quote from: Mugen;548629
Red ftw.
Blues are awesome because when you play SC2 with them it makes you feel like a boss!

Haha that's exactly how I feel. Even If I am terrible and get dominated.. at least it sounds cool

Offline xquisit

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 01:40:49 »
yeah, the first time I heard the sound.. I liked it!

Offline Tony

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 02:19:53 »
I watch enormous egos fighting and hating each other, different switches do not argue, just click.

Who dares to be holier than almighty me?
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline nocturn4l3030

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 04:35:29 »
i used to think that too, but after typing on reds for a while, that "tactile bump" feels damn nice
What happens when you discover GeekHack:
[strike]Black Ducky dk1087 Cherry (Brown)
Topre Realforce 103UB 55g
Topre Realforce 103UB
Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 (Clear)
White PLU ML-87 (Blue)
1990 IBM Model M 1391401
Cherry G80-3000LSCEU-0 (Blue)
[/strike]

Cherry G80-3600LYCEU-2 (Red)
Topre Realforce 86UB
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown)

[/SIZE]

Offline Surly73

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 08:18:36 »
Quote from: rknize;548108
My two cents: if you want tactile, get a Model M.  Nothing compares.  If you want to quiet it down a tad, do a grease or "floss" mod.  I've done both.

Shockingly, if you remove the sound from the equation, a model M isn't as tactile as you think.  I've put lots of miles on my Model M, I'm not saying they're bad, but a Realforce 55g is FAR more tactile than a model M in terms of "pop".  Put headphones on and 2/3 of model M characteristics are gone.

And, BTW, I'm not any faster on my M than I am on browns.  The opposite, in fact.

Offline yttrium

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 11:54:15 »
No need to be elitest, ripster.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 11:57:47 »
Quote from: ripster;548797
You noobs should have been around when Geekhack had REAL HATE threads.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44574[/ATTACH]
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

Offline slytown

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 14:40:26 »
If you like Reds I don't understand not liking browns.
List of my keyboards: Ducky OCN Edition 9008 G2 (ABS, browns), Thermaltake Meka G1 (ABS, blacks), PFU Happy Hacking Professional 2 (PBT, Topre 45g uniform, "Otaku")

Teamliquid.net Mechanical Keyboard Guide

Offline enoy21

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 16:48:51 »
I like both Blues and browns but browns are my preference. I use them both frequently for different rolls.

Blues for typing at work all day and pissing off my neighboring officemates and Browns for everything else at home.
hat
As you can see in my sig I tried reds and while they were ok , the lack of the 55g slight tactile bump made them feel too soft for me.  That barely distinguishable tactile bump is actually 10g worth of force difference.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 March 2012, 16:51:18 by enoy21 »
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline Inf3rn0_44

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 16:54:50 »
Quote from: bbbbqq;547380
mx brown, the most overrated switch of all.

So very true. MX Browns feel like ****. That is why they are Brown.
|IMO 1.0 Frankenmouse WMO Internals |
|Access-IS AKC090 Ghetto Reds w/ O-Rings |

Offline xquisit

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 16:58:45 »
So what about Ergo Clears, they are like browns and feel more firm? I'd really like to know the difference between the feel of clears vs ergo clears (I believe the ergo is from it using red/blue/brown switches?)

Offline jayeph

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 17:29:18 »
having used both, my opinion is that the browns feel and sound much better

Offline RC-1140

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 17:44:27 »
Quote from: xquisit;549145
So what about Ergo Clears, they are like browns and feel more firm? I'd really like to know the difference between the feel of clears vs ergo clears (I believe the ergo is from it using red/blue/brown switches?)

Well, the Clears use one of the stiffest springs of all the Cherry MX switches. After typing for a while your fingers will fatigue. ErgoClears have the much lighter spring of the Red/Blue/Browns, so they are much more fun to type on for longer periods. And if you buy a keyboard with PCB mounted switches as basis for your modding project, you don't even have to solder. PCB mounted switches can be opened without desoldering them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Unicomp 122-Key Terminal Emulator - IBM Model M 1394309 - IBM Model M 1394312 (Terminal) - Cherry G84-4100 - Cherry G80-1800 MX Black - Cherry G80-2551HAD (with a spare NIB)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 00:25:11 »
Quote from: Inf3rn0_44;549139
So very true. MX Browns feel like ****. That is why they are Brown.

Bwahahahahaha.....

Offline xquisit

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 01:14:24 »
Quote from: RC-1140;549192
Well, the Clears use one of the stiffest springs of all the Cherry MX switches. After typing for a while your fingers will fatigue. ErgoClears have the much lighter spring of the Red/Blue/Browns, so they are much more fun to type on for longer periods. And if you buy a keyboard with PCB mounted switches as basis for your modding project, you don't even have to solder. PCB mounted switches can be opened without desoldering them.

Unfortunately/fortunately (I want to learn to solder), I pre-ordered a KBT Race /w Blue switches. I believe I'd have to de-solder the LEDs to remove the switch (it is PCB mounted).

I bought a $15 kit from Frys - it's a learn-to-solder kit and I'll be making a european siren!

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 03:07:40 »
I'm no fan of Cherry switches.  They all feel cheap IMO, but if I were to choose, I'd pick the Reds. I can type fast on those, and their linear force curve is light enough not to get in the way.

The Browns feel like you're running through mud -- loud mud.  The Blues are barely tactile.  I've used rubber dome keyboards that felt better than either of these.

Offline RC-1140

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 06:08:36 »
Quote from: xquisit;549510
Unfortunately/fortunately (I want to learn to solder), I pre-ordered a KBT Race /w Blue switches. I believe I'd have to de-solder the LEDs to remove the switch (it is PCB mounted).

I bought a $15 kit from Frys - it's a learn-to-solder kit and I'll be making a european siren!

Yup, that means you have to desolder the LEDs. But that shouldn't be as time consuming as desoldering the whole switches. And you should also get one of those: http://www.frys.com/product/6582353?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

You will need it to remove the solder.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Unicomp 122-Key Terminal Emulator - IBM Model M 1394309 - IBM Model M 1394312 (Terminal) - Cherry G84-4100 - Cherry G80-1800 MX Black - Cherry G80-2551HAD (with a spare NIB)

Offline xquisit

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 06:23:04 »
Quote from: RC-1140;549590
Yup, that means you have to desolder the LEDs. But that shouldn't be as time consuming as desoldering the whole switches. And you should also get one of those: http://www.frys.com/product/6582353?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

You will need it to remove the solder.

I'll do the european siren kit, and then buy that. I just hope theirs a youtube video on this, and a guide (I'm sure there is, I'm just not even ready to search it).

Offline Surly73

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 06:48:25 »
Quote from: xquisit;549145

The clear stem is supposed to provide a much more prevalent tactile "bump".  I haven't tried them (yet) but I expect that they'll be more like Realforce switches that have a "pop" in them that you can still feel as a "pop" when typing at speed.

Everyone needs to also remember that Cherry calls the brown switch "ergonomic" and not "tactile".  Other people have called browns "tactile".  If Cherry never meant them to be dubbed tactile, perhaps we shouldn't bash them and their switch for not being highly tactile - they were never meant to be highly tactile.

Based on my previous posts about how the brown's bump is enough to train the brain but not enough to feel like a bump (unless compared to a linear) I think that "ergonomic" is an excellent term to use.  These properties are also probably why companies like Kinesis have used the brown all along.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 March 2012, 06:50:43 by Surly73 »