Author Topic: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition - Basically BlackWidow Tenkeyless  (Read 21594 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Hey I just saw this from their site just now:  http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.254099000/categoryId.35156900

$79.99 seems like a nice price for a cheap tenkeyless mechanical keyboard even though I know most people here kinda don't like Razer quality products.  Though seems like they stuck with MX Blue, I wonder why they're so set on MX Blue for gaming oh well.

So what do you guys think?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline lavieest

Re: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition - Basically BlackWidow Tenkeyless
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 21:55:59 »
At that price range (and tenkeyless) I would go with a http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-QuickFire-Mechanical-SGK-4000-GKCL1-US/dp/B0068INSUM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top.  You could also always look on ebay and amazon warehouse for deals.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 22:00:05 »
I think your $79.99 would be better spent on a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid. It also has blue switches, but the build quality is probably far superior, comparable to a Filco or Rosewill. Razer is not known for their quality control or longevity.

As far as MX blues for gaming, most gamers don't like them due to the reset point being higher than the actuation point of the switch. If you hover just above the actuation point (bottom out) on rubber domes, you won't like the reset of the blues. For gaming, try a linear switch such as MX blacks or reds.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 22:05:56 »
Looks better than the normal Razer BW to me. As far as blues: It's marketing and differentiation. Steelseries, Razer, and Corsair all have their reasons to go with blacks, blues, and reds (respectively).

I wonder how they got 10KRO over usb. Or is that just more lies?
"Anti-ghosting capability for 6 simultaneous key presses, 10 key presses in gaming mode "
Why wouldn't hit have NKRO in "gaming mode"? Are they playing games with modifiers over USB?

Also, the link didn't work for me, but the URL is the same. I just had to pick it out of their products list.
---
WAIT! It says it has a reduced 2mm actuation distance. What's up with this 'board? Looking in the gallery, it looks pretty thick, too.

Offline roffle24

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 23:27:44 »
I'd feel more confident buying this than the full size board for some reason. Razer makes flimsy products, so with less parts it would seem less likely to break.

Seriously though I think consensus is that the CM QFR is the better way to go for a cheap TKL. For $80 your money is better spent elsewhere than the razer.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 23:49:50 »
Its part of their 2013 line... I wonder if anything actually changed to warrant it being better than the 2012. Besides apparently new NKRO (10)

You can also tell now by I guess the green backlight of the 2013 ultimate.

They copypasta'd so hard on the 2013's description it says; "...the 2012 edition of Razer BlackWidow Ultimate..."  :P

F1 is properly over the 2 key I just noticed on the 'tournament'.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 July 2012, 23:53:29 by Lu_e »

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 04:42:58 »
Still mx blue? no backlit? The only thing I'm happy about ..  this is a tenkeyless  ???
At least better than bwu 2012 version vs 2013 version ...

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 08:49:35 »
Blues aren't bad for gaming, they just take some time to get used to. However reds are still better for gaming.

What can I say about razer..... still looks like crap. Anything labeled "gaming", I avoid. Plus it still has a dumb layout that will make it hard to replace keys.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 09:09:23 »
Have to say that the only thing I really like from Razer is their DeathAdder ;x I like the TKL version of the Black Widow more than the regular just because I like TKL in general but I dunno. I wouldn't get it lol.

Offline Nutriment

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 11:08:06 »
Like others said, too bad replacing the keycaps on those is impossible or a pain (the spacebar and stuff). If it's 80$ retail, it might be a good choice on sale " 55-60 though.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 17:39:37 »
Replace keycaps isn't hard if you use Cherry. I am amazed it isn't 2KRO honestly. I wouldn't buy it but at least they are making some effort as tenkeyless is much better for gaming mouse position so at least they got that right instead of adding extra rows of macro keys.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 19:25:11 »
LOL ops sorry I think my original post was misleading, I wasn't going to buy this.  Just want to see what's everyone's opinion on this "new" product haha.  I think for general consumer that doesn't know much about mechanical keyboard, it should still sell quite a bit.

For replacing keycaps, the cherry keys should still fit, except they're not standard "set" so you have to kinda mix and match.

As for me I have my White Filco Ninja MX Red and Das Silent MX Brown so I think I'm good for a while :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Hyde

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 19:26:35 »
Oh it seems like for their 2013 line they have switched from glossy to matte to avoid fingerprint.  Though personally I find my Das' gloss look very nice.  Maybe I'm one of the few that didn't mind the gloss >____>

Offline Rafen

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 19:28:13 »
I will probably get one of these when they come out with the stealth version so I can get the brown switches.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 20:21:56 »
I will probably get one of these when they come out with the stealth version so I can get the brown switches.

Why? I'm sure you can find a better keyboard for the money

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Merlin

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 July 2012, 21:29:35 »
Lol, Razer Tenkeyless. Just as well for Razer then. It's ten keys less for them to worry about finding a fix for since everything else on their keyboards goes wrong.

Offline Twig

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 02:08:37 »
This is actually quite temping as an ISO user, my only other option for a TKL w/ blues is the filco from KeyboardCo.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 03:16:15 »
I am surprised at the lack of macro keys and that the F1 is not right above W. Do they repackage a ready-made keyboard? I have not seen another tenkeyless with that layout on the bottom row.
🍉

Offline kalrykh

Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition - Basically BlackWidow Tenkeyless
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 03:49:04 »
Macro keys give them more opportunities to **** up.  Less is more in this case :p

Offline Zykos

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 05:53:32 »
This looks a lot better compared to their full size keyboards. Especially without the macro keys on the side.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 09:15:54 »
This is actually quite temping as an ISO user, my only other option for a TKL w/ blues is the filco from KeyboardCo.
The CMstorm QF rapid comes in ISO, though I imagine this RAZER BW would be easier to find.

Offline Twig

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 10:33:08 »
The CMstorm QF rapid comes in ISO, though I imagine this RAZER BW would be easier to find.
The ISO version of the QFR is only available in blacks, and browns next month. :/

Offline Kuroneko

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 19:16:51 »
It's a step in the right direction...with that said I still wouldn't buy one.

I remember my first BW had the right alt stuck to the spacebar so every now and then when I hit the spacebar a right alt would come out of nowhere. It was annoying.

Offline shogrran

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 14:25:33 »
I know I am not really a fan of the Razer blackwidow, not since I got to use other mechanical keyboards, but I just noticed several of the initial replies on this thread is recommending he CMStorm quickfire rapid.

I just would like to say for those recommending CMStorm quickfire rapid. The quality of the keyboard is not as good as it seems. I got some random key spamming problems on it right now. And the support
from CMStorm is the WORST.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 July 2012, 01:16:05 by shogrran »
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Hyde

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 20:47:34 »
858-0

lol I already own a Das and a Filco so most likely I wouldn't get this.  But I don't know I think it looks pretty nice though (ignoring the quality control issue).  I think it's enough to fool the general public into buying it :P

EDIT:  By the way if you want to see more pictures go on Razer's Facebook page

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 20:49:35 »
(Attachment Link) I think it's enough to fool the general public into buying it :P

That's how razer stays in business

Offline kurubio

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 23:13:02 »
Honestly, if you like it buy it! I bought my blackwidow (low-end) back when it first came out, back then even geekhack was happy that a brand like razer was gonna attempt to bring back mechanical keys into the mix. I probably agree with everyone that for the price of the ultimate you could get a better board. I've had my blackwidow for like 2yrs now and I really have no complaints, it feels solid, the keys feel right, I haven't had anything break or malfunction. The cherry blues are just fine for me when I type and when I game it up! Starcraft mostly... Only suggestion I have is that if you do have a roommate you might want to go with browns or black inconsideration of them, also the stealth variety come with a matte finish so not as much fingerprints, the bane of my existence.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 19:32:04 »
the reason why razer uses blues as their defacto switch for gaming is because blues are way more marketable than any other switch. You can say "look this keyboard CLICKS!" or say "look this keyboard... umg browns? reds?..." so yea thats why.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 11:45:46 »
I wont lie, my first mechanical keyboard was a BWU, but I loved that thing. Only thing I didnt like was the glossy finish on the face. I never had any issues with it whatsoever though.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Kuroneko

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 12:06:03 »
the reason why razer uses blues as their defacto switch for gaming is because blues are way more marketable than any other switch. You can say "look this keyboard CLICKS!" or say "look this keyboard... umg browns? reds?..." so yea thats why.

Guess you can say Das does that too but Das actually makes a better keyboard. haha.

Offline kurubio

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 14:59:56 »
1st video I could find

Offline Warduke

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 17:47:34 »
Saw this one today:
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 22:24:09 »
Unless you're a die-hard razer fan, why get this over the cheaper CM quickfire mx blues?

Offline WatchMaker

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 00:22:06 »
If I was gon get a Razer keyboard i'd go with Anansi.  it's got multiple spacebars which can be programed to do anything you want except make a sandwich.

I have a razer mouse that broke after a year.  but it had a 2 yr warranty so i'm using the replacement atm until it breaks again (I give it a year  :().  That said, software-wise I don't think anything can compete with razer though.

Just curious how fast can you spam a key on a mechanical keyboard 10x a sec.. 20x a second?  A razer product can spam +250x a second.  I'll link video below.  But I want to know can you really ghost on a CMStorm?  And is the advantage significant?  I bought a razer lycosa claiming it can ghost but anything  past 4-keys simultaneously wouldn't register.  idk what to buy but I need a new keyboard & the anansi is tempting.  Someone talk me out of it.  Or better yet, talk me into buying something else.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 16:32:36 »
lol I mean aside from all the quality control issue.  I have to admit the design does look pretty good, I think Razer did a good job on this one.  Also the matte finish turn out to be pretty good too, if only they can put a MX Brown switch instead of MX Blue.

Also if only they'll get rid of the macro keys on the full size one, never quite understand the big deal about macro keys.  I find it creates more problems than it solves problems.  Though other than that I guess I'll give them props for this one :P

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 23:09:50 »
If I was gon get a Razer keyboard i'd go with Anansi.  it's got multiple spacebars which can be programed to do anything you want except make a sandwich.

I have a razer mouse that broke after a year.  but it had a 2 yr warranty so i'm using the replacement atm until it breaks again (I give it a year  :().  That said, software-wise I don't think anything can compete with razer though.

Just curious how fast can you spam a key on a mechanical keyboard 10x a sec.. 20x a second?  A razer product can spam +250x a second.  I'll link video below.  But I want to know can you really ghost on a CMStorm?  And is the advantage significant?  I bought a razer lycosa claiming it can ghost but anything  past 4-keys simultaneously wouldn't register.  idk what to buy but I need a new keyboard & the anansi is tempting.  Someone talk me out of it.  Or better yet, talk me into buying something else.
With practice, you can ride the activation point of a linear switch really really fast. I'm not worried about 250 hz keypresses, so I haven't tired or anything. It's not really an issue in any of the games I play

The anansi appears to be a rubber dome and thus 2KRO. This is the main reason I turn to mechanical keyborads for gaming. I even have one with a bunch of spacebars (Look up the phantom 7bit plate) so I don't have to worry. Other keyborads, such as the kinesis, maltron, datahand, the upcoming ergoDOX and to a lesser extent the MX5000, Trulyergonomic, M15, marquards mini-ergo all have multiple keys easily accessible via the thumb.

I'm not seeing any extra spacebars on the anansi. Do you mean those buttons under it? They look like those PCB-mounted steel dome ones, which (if so) would be a huge pain to press. It says it have a gaming optimized matrix (so it might be more than useless at gaming) but I still don't like it that much. Why not get a footswitch or several or something? You can get USB footswitch 1-key-keybeards really cheap nowadays.

No, I enjoy my "no frills" razer mouse, but I don't think I'd get one of their keyboards. When I replace my mouse, I'll be looking at CM first for a replacement (Though who knows what I'll end up with, just not steelseries, their support sucks bigtime.)

Offline Nates13

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 01:29:23 »
I've had the BWU-SE since shortly after it came out and I have no complaints, but I wouldn't go for this 10keyless.  The reason I went with the BW is it simply had all the features I wanted(full size board, browns, 6KRO, and backlit). never had any problem with my BW, idk maybe I got lucky but I haven't experienced any of the problems I've heard about it.

for a bonus, I also liked how they added media keys without screwing up the layout with the FN key, and the 5 macro keys were a nice addition with being excessive(I used to have a G-11...18 ****ing macro keys).  I notice some people here don't like macro keys but I personal like a have at least a couple, in certain games they can save you a lot of time and tedious modifier key clicking.

a board with the features I wanted and that I could actually get in a timely fashion proved to be pretty difficult not that long ago.  hell even the BW was on backorder.  I also don't remember seeing nearly as many backlit boards as it seems there are today, did that just come about in the last year or was I just blind?

either way, I've considered the idea of getting a second, much more compact board that I can take with me, but if I were to get one like that now it'd probably be a KBT pure.  I still prefer to have a full size as my main board(I know not everyone does), and that razor 10KL just doesn't seem like it's much more portable.

PS: I suspect the 10KRO is done using the multiple devices trick, which I'm not a fan of but does technically work I suppose.

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 03:06:49 »
What i concern with the new razer mechanical keyboards is the QC, I'm enough with the crap QC in BW/U