Author Topic: Best switches for Typing  (Read 59531 times)

Offline mariusmssj

Best switches for Typing
« on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 09:45:38 »
Hello everyone,

Once again i'm sorry to start a generic thread I just need some help.

Today I received these:

Soon I will be starting my PhD, and that will involve a lot of typing. I will be sharing an office with few other collogues so this means I can't use the MX Blue switches.

I've been playing around with the Brown switches and they somehow feel weird, at the moment I use Reds so the Browns feel like broken Reds.

I haven't tried a full keyboard with Brown switches just the one in the picture, so I am not sure if I should get Reds or Browns.

Any advice?

Thank you
CM Storm QuickFire Pro [MX RED]

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: Best switches for Typing
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 09:51:38 »
If you are used to the reds and comfy with typing on them, then, by all means, stick with them.

It is hard to tell with just one switch (especially when your goal is hours on end of typing time), so you could grab a board with browns and sell it on if you don't like it.

I prefer browns over reds for typing after giving reds about 2 months of time; I am sensitive to the very minimal tactile bump and type better with it.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 09:58:54 »
It's unfortunate that you can't use Blues.  IMO Blues are by far the best MX switches.  Definitely better then Browns and Blacks.  I have yet to try Reds though.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Dajm

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 09:59:03 »
Personally, blues and browns are just too loud for the way I type (or maybe it's just my noise-perception). I have blues at home right now and it goes on my nerves how loud they are. I recently switched from browns to reds and blacks at work and I find it much better (both in terms if noise and of how it feels). Reds are my favorites.

But it's like everybody will tell you: Tastes are different and to many people, the noise is not that bad when using blues or browns.

Offline mariusmssj

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 10:04:16 »
If you are used to the reds and comfy with typing on them, then, by all means, stick with them.

It is hard to tell with just one switch (especially when your goal is hours on end of typing time), so you could grab a board with browns and sell it on if you don't like it.

I prefer browns over reds for typing after giving reds about 2 months of time; I am sensitive to the very minimal tactile bump and type better with it.

I did read that Brows allow touch type, the bump allows you to know your pressed enough for key to register and you can release it now. With Reds I need to bottom out as I'm still need to mech keyboards

Offline mariusmssj

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 10:05:32 »
It's unfortunate that you can't use Blues.  IMO Blues are by far the best MX switches.  Definitely better then Browns and Blacks.  I have yet to try Reds though.

I did like the feel of the blue switch, the tactile feel was much sharper compared to Browns and had the nice click noise. But it will definitely drive other in the room mad

@Dajm What made to make the switch from Browns to Reds?
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 August 2012, 10:07:23 by mariusmssj »

Offline Dajm

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 10:27:33 »
@Dajm What made to make the switch from Browns to Reds?

The noise. Even though I had o-rings on my browns, I still found it too loud (nobody in the office ever complained to me, but I just found it too loud, personally).
I bottom out when typing.

Then I tried blacks and eventually reds and, aside from the noise-reduction, they also *feel* nicer to me.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 11:00:03 »
Since you mentioned nothing about your typing habits (whether you strike so hard that you bottom out the key, or whether you prefer lighter or heavier keys), PointyFox wrote a pretty good guide that will help you narrow it down to two, if not one.

Heavy typer/Mostly plays games/Strong hands: Black
Heavy typer/Mostly plays games/Weak hands: Blue (if you pick your fingers completely off the keys before pressing again)
Heavy typer/Mostly types/Strong hands: Buckling Spring, Clear
Mostly types: Blue
Light typer/Mostly games : Red, Blue (if you pick your fingers completely off the keys before pressing again)
Light typer/Mostly types/Noise sensitive: Brown
50-50% Typing-Gaming: Blue (if you pick your fingers completely off the keys before pressing again), Brown (noise sensitive)

But since you mentioned that you already have reds, just stick to them. If just pressing one makes it feel broken to you, then pressing a lot of browns will just feel really, really broken haha.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 August 2012, 11:04:36 by swagpiratex »

Offline mariusmssj

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 15:24:18 »
It's just annoying that i can't actually try out a full keyboard with Brown switches instead of a single switch

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 15:27:06 »
Any switch works :)
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 15:29:47 »
Blue is the best for typing. If you need it to be quiet and don't like brown, rubber dome and blacks are good. Reds don't have much feel to them but are good if you are sickly and rubber dome or MX blacks hurt your wrists.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 August 2012, 15:34:17 by PointyFox »

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 15:32:24 »
Well if you wanted to try a full keyboard with Browns you could always go for something cheap like a Compaq MX11800.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPAQ-PS-2-Keyboard-with-Trackball-MX-11800-185152-001-186591-001-/330751254823?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4d024fa127#ht_7830wt_1163

There is a review on this particular keyboard on OCN.

http://www.overclock.net/t/706002/compaq-mx-11800-review
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline pyro

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 16:21:58 »
This has also been discussed over at deskthority: http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/brown-vs-red-t3455.html

If you have a light touch and don't tend to press keys all the way to the bottom, I think you shoud keep the reds. Browns only start to feel nice after about 10 minutes of continuous typing (like a typing test), while reds feel nice all the time once you get used to them.

I also find it's easier not to bottom out on reds, because I don't feel like I have to press the key past the tactile point but just far enough for the character to appear on the screen.

Offline gvfarns

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 17:02:23 »
I share a pretty small and quiet office and I use blues.  Hasn't been a problem.  I have O-rings under the keys to quiet the bottoming-out noise.  With the blues there is a high-pitched click as the key actuates and then a louder low pitch click when it bottoms out.  If you silence the latter, you may find that the former isn't actually all that loud, though it is a different pitch than people expect and in therefore possibly more distracting.

All the cherry keys bottom out loud, I believe.  So the largest component of noise (to me, anyway) is corrected not by avoiding the audio feedback of the blues, but by silencing the bottom-out with o-rings.

When I first got the blues at home, my wife was unhappy with the noise (our computers are side-by-side and she sometimes watches movies while I am typing).  After I installed the O rings she changed her mind and now the remaining noise doesn't bother her at all.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 August 2012, 17:06:51 by gvfarns »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 17:21:25 »
In practice my MX blue switches are slightly quieter than my mouse buttons.  it is the bottoming out, that you will get with all MX switches, that is much louder.

I like the blues for typing, and have a keybaord with browns on order.  I also have one with blacks, but that is a lot stiffer and I get the impression that my fingers would get tired quicker if I had to type on it all day.

If you are going to be doing a lot of typing, a switch with a tactile bump (blues, browns) would probably be best, as you could train yourself to stop pressing when you feel the bump (about half way down the key stroke).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 17:22:31 »

I did read that Brows allow touch type, the bump allows you to know your pressed enough for key to register and you can release it now. With Reds I need to bottom out as I'm still need to mech keyboards

I think it's really the muscle memory, so you should be able to do so with both switch types.  When typing fast I don't think you have enough time to sense the bump.  I suspect that once you get in the zone, your muscle memory sends enough power to push the key before you've even touched it, and you are already pulling the finger back by the time the switch activates.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 06:08:16 »
There is no "best switch for typing". I used to be in the BLUE camp. But being at the 130wpm barrier for 4 months and switching to a bunch of different switches. I've realized that the Keyboard makes no difference whatsoever.

Stick with your regular keyboard.

4 things happen when you're typing FOR WORK.  ::::::::::::

1 you don't think about the keys

2 you don't care about the keys

3 you're busy coming up with things to write

4 you don't come up with material fast enough to saturate your _average_ typing speed.

If you're just looking for something to buy to fill that emptiness feeling courtesy of consumerism, then buy whatever switch you "believe" is the best.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 07:53:34 »
If you're just looking for something to buy to fill that emptiness feeling courtesy of consumerism, then buy whatever switch you "believe" is the best.

a unicorn just died...

Offline pyro

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 09:01:59 »
Of course it's easier to write for work if you can jot down your thoughts as fast and with fewest distractions as possible.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 11:13:03 »
There is no "best switch for typing". I used to be in the BLUE camp. But being at the 130wpm barrier for 4 months and switching to a bunch of different switches. I've realized that the Keyboard makes no difference whatsoever.

4 you don't come up with material fast enough to saturate your _average_ typing speed.

HAHA I would like to see anyone come up with prose at 130 WPM. Most people can't even think that quickly.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 13:58:13 »

HAHA I would like to see anyone come up with prose at 130 WPM. Most people can't even think that quickly.
Roses are red, violets are blue, something something and qwerty u.
Nope, doesn't work.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 August 2012, 13:59:59 by PointyFox »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 15:13:05 »
Prose != poem.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 15:19:56 »
Prose != poem.

I make a rhyme every time.  :cool:

Offline skriefal

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 15:41:24 »
I don't find the blues to be loud at all.  They do make noise, of course -- but so does a cheap rubber dome keyboard that forces you to smash the keys, bottoming them out.  The primary difference is in the character of the sound -- with the blues having a quick, higher-pitched click as opposed to a lengthier "thunk".

Offline Rafen

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 19:40:31 »
I have had blues and browns. I like the blues the best I find them lighter to type on and they don't make as much noise as the blues do. I would say try a board with browns for sure and you won't be sorry.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 21:57:21 »
I have had blues and browns. I like the blues the best I find them lighter to type on and they don't make as much noise as the blues do. I would say try a board with browns for sure and you won't be sorry.
:confused:

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 00:15:32 »

I don't know about prose, but I write my papers very fast. My typing improves by about 20WPM if I'm motivated and writing for myself. I'm sure that even if I doubled my sped, I'd be able to think faster. I do some of my best work at top speed, when a continuous stream of inspiration hits. (these are primarily papers for engineering classes, etc. But I did write a lot for english and philosophy clases, and it was pretty much the same.)

My flatmate (borrowing from UK english here, in this case it makes more sense than "apartmentfriend") has blues, and I can't hear him next-door, so they can't be that loud.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 05:04:48 »

I don't know about prose, but I write my papers very fast. My typing improves by about 20WPM if I'm motivated and writing for myself. I'm sure that even if I doubled my sped, I'd be able to think faster. I do some of my best work at top speed, when a continuous stream of inspiration hits. (these are primarily papers for engineering classes, etc. But I did write a lot for english and philosophy clases, and it was pretty much the same.)

My flatmate (borrowing from UK english here, in this case it makes more sense than "apartmentfriend") has blues, and I can't hear him next-door, so they can't be that loud.

Ah,, I am not a terribly fast writer. It takes me about half an hour to come up with 1 page of good presentable material. that's about 300-500 words depending on the font, calibri vs times

if you look at it that way, thats about 30 wpm, yup, no keyboard will sound loud at 30 wpm.

But when I'm on type racer, or 10fastfingers, blues can be hella annoying to the uninitiated.

Offline mariusmssj

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 05:49:36 »
Well I made myself a test bench to get a better feel:

I think I'll stick with with reds, I bottomed out the Browns really easily without feeling any tactile feeling. Compared to reds they feel like their getting a bit stuck half way and down. Blues I do like because of the sharper feeling and tactile click.

So I guess I'll be just getting Reds, with o-rings.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 09:26:14 »
Can't go wrong with reds. I really enjoyed them for typing, though my personal preferences tend towards tactile switches. Many people have said here that browns feel like "gritty reds". IT would seem that your experiences mirror this.

That's a nice switch test bench. I really like it!

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 09:27:31 »
Topre! I love typing on my HHKB far more than on blues or browns.

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
    • http://csm725.com
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 10:36:57 »
TOPRE!!!
55 cN, more specifically.
So much better than Reds, Browns, and Blues.

Offline Sinzz

Best switches for Typing
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 13:03:45 »

I think I'll stick with with reds, I bottomed out the Browns really easily without feeling any tactile feeling. Compared to reds they feel like their getting a bit stuck half way and down. Blues I do like because of the sharper feeling and tactile click.

Browns tactile feel aren't really noticeable unless you type on it slowly. It's like a light crunchy cereal feel. I don't like it. Feel broken and the lightness of the switch makes it feel cheap. I still like blacks for typing because of the solid feel. Though the cherry stabilizers are hurting my thumb because it's much more stiff than the other keys. I'm getting some blues in soon now because I love the sound of it.
Keycool 84 MX Blue | Pure Pro | HHKB Pro 2

Offline lbwmoo

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 14:14:40 »
I only recently picked up a brown board after using one with blues for a few months at home. Office mates wouldn't appreciate the blues clicking all day. I agree with what was said earlier, if you are typing fast, you won't really notice the bump on the browns. I threw on a few of the dampeners I got from WASD (40AR) and had leftover, and it is a very comfortable combination. Shorter stroke, almost no noise on the new bottoming out, and the noise that remains is a lower tone than the original. I only wish that I had used a better keyboard during my own grad school. That was a lot of typing.

Offline boredgunner

• GND-Tech
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 14:35:50 »

I bottomed out the Browns really easily without feeling any tactile feeling. Compared to reds they feel like their getting a bit stuck half way and down.

I agree.  I don't know why Clears haven't replaced them on more common mechanical keyboards.  I hope they do some day...
Ducky Shine II TKL (Green LED, Cherry MX Red) | Leopold FC210TP (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 18:43:30 »
Show Image

Show Image

[/quote
Show Image

Show Image

If you believe it is the best switch, then it is. That's the reality of hobby worship, there is no real top dawwg'.

There only exists the inane ramblings of fboi'

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 18:46:47 »
Show Image

Show Image

[/quote
Show Image

Show Image

If you believe it is the best switch, then it is. That's the reality of hobby worship, there is no real top dawwg'.

You're saying that not only these four different switch types have exactly the same level of function, but all things used in hobbies as well?  Though from an engineering prospective, having multiple types of one product usually indicates that none of them are ideal.

Offline Deekin

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 20:13:55 »

I bottomed out the Browns really easily without feeling any tactile feeling. Compared to reds they feel like their getting a bit stuck half way and down.

I agree.  I don't know why Clears haven't replaced them on more common mechanical keyboards.  I hope they do some day...

+1 on this! Browns are a halfhearted tactile version of the Reds imo, feels like broken/damaged Reds! Would be much better with some Clears around rather than Browns.

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 20:45:22 »
The MX blues might be ideal for typing without the pronounced click. Has anyone tried to remove the little plastic noise-maker from a blue switch?

As for Cherry's other attempts at tactile switches... I don't understand them as they appear to be added to the line as a second thought. The clears seem to be an attempt to go beyond the typing/gaming compromise that the browns are, but the stiff spring ruins it for most people.

I'm hoping the new Matias switches will exhibit a greater degree of care in their design.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 22:08:19 »

+1 on this! Browns are a halfhearted tactile version of the Reds imo, feels like broken/damaged Reds! Would be much better with some Clears around rather than Browns.
Show Image

Show Image

[/quote
Show Image

Show Image

You're saying that not only these four different switch types have exactly the same level of function, but all things used in hobbies as well?  Though from an engineering prospective, having multiple types of one product usually indicates that none of them are ideal.

You mean to tell me ' life's not perfect? jeebus halp!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 22:09:27 »
The MX blues might be ideal for typing without the pronounced click. Has anyone tried to remove the little plastic noise-maker from a blue switch?

As for Cherry's other attempts at tactile switches... I don't understand them as they appear to be added to the line as a second thought. The clears seem to be an attempt to go beyond the typing/gaming compromise that the browns are, but the stiff spring ruins it for most people.

I'm hoping the new Matias switches will exhibit a greater degree of care in their design.

Sounds like u need dem' ergo clears

Offline Deekin

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 22:20:04 »
Am I the only one who really enjoy typing on reds? Honestly, I can type so much faster with this keyboard (switch) than any other I have tested and owned.
Keep in mind I dont touch type and neither do I want cause I love that CLACK of the key hitting the board and rather dislike that CLICK from blues midway! Though this is ofcourse personal opinion and I can see people who touchtype on blues can be faster than reds. Its just that I love the reds typing experience.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 August 2012, 22:21:40 by Deekin »

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 22:30:47 »
Too much to read through, try topres imo. Specifically 55g. Otherwise I enjoy typing on blues.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 22:39:50 »
Am I the only one who really enjoy typing on reds? Honestly, I can type so much faster with this keyboard (switch) than any other I have tested and owned.
Keep in mind I dont touch type and neither do I want cause I love that CLACK of the key hitting the board and rather dislike that CLICK from blues midway! Though this is ofcourse personal opinion and I can see people who touchtype on blues can be faster than reds. Its just that I love the reds typing experience.
I type just as fast on mx black as I do on red.  I had them both at the same time.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 23:38:15 »
I think I probably type fastest on reds but I find typing on brown is more "comfortable", red kind of bottom out hard :P

So it all comes down to preference, typing wise I like brown > red > blue > black > scissor switch > rubberdome

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline karljs

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 23:51:52 »

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about the browns. People rave about them and it makes me doubt my own feelings.  These days (not having tried reds yet) I like blues when noise isn't an issue and Topre when it is.

Offline Deverica Wolf

• My name is Hack, Geek Hack.
    • Head-Fi
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 03:56:42 »
Reds are awesome. My fingers just glide with the keys...like butter. They are my main board right now.
Browns I love equally. Sometimes that bump just feels right.
Blacks are too stiff for typing.
Blues have a real cheap feeling to me and aren't as nice as Browns or Buckling Springs for that matter.

I'ma gonna get me some 40A 0.4mm and 50A 0.4mm O-Rings from WASD Keyboards and see how they change things. I wish I could a Topre but they do not currently offer a set of keys in Colemak.
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL
FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  Deck Legend - ToXic  |  CHERRY Touchboard ITA

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 11:47:26 »
Blacks are fine for typing.  Manly switches for Manly Men.

Black = cloud of boobs
Red = cloud of manboobs

Offline Bim Gao

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 11:59:31 »
I think for this kind of question the worth answer is from urself :) like u ask someone "should i choose thai food, western food or chinese food for my dinner?".

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 12:04:17 »
I think for this kind of question the worth answer is from urself :) like u ask someone "should i choose thai food, western food or chinese food for my dinner?".
It's more like "Should I swim in the adult pool or the kiddie pool?".  :D