Author Topic: What color?  (Read 5309 times)

Offline Danny356

What color?
« on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 02:52:47 »
What color blank key cap would show the least noticeable amount of shine/wear? Would be in a well lit office type of environment.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
Re: What color?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 03:36:47 »
White usually. And some shades of grey.

Black is usually the most noticeable for shine.
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 22:01:13 »
Wouldn't that depend more on the key cap material than the colour?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline karljs

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 13:34:04 »

I have some white keycaps from WASD and they definitely shine. I'm really just guessing, but grey or beige might be better.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 15:52:01 »
Just polish them all and make them all shine.  Problem solved.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 17:04:34 »
All colours will become shiny as they all start out matte and end up smooth.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 18:28:33 »
I would think that white would be the least noticeable and darker colors would show shine the most.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 18:29:37 »
PBT colored.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 18:53:56 »
Agreed, just go PBT and you won't have to worry about shines for a while.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 20:24:02 »
PBT colored.
PBT is my favourite color.

I don't mind shiny keycaps: Reminds me of my Selectric typewriter: Old School!

The reason I think white is less noticeable shiny is because shine or glare is normally bright white, and it'd blend it better to the already white keycaps, as opposed to the black keycaps, which would contrast to it. That's my theory, anyway.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 22:19:47 »
PBT colored.

The reason I think white is less noticeable shiny is because shine or glare is normally bright white, and it'd blend it better to the already white keycaps, as opposed to the black keycaps, which would contrast to it. That's my theory, anyway.

White reflects more light than black, so the gradient is smaller and the shine is less noticeable.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 23:12:08 »
PBT colored.

White reflects more light than black, so the gradient is smaller and the shine is less noticeable.

what gradient, lol that's making stuff up right there.  :p

Maybe color constancy plays a role.  :-*

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 00:42:03 »
PBT colored.

what gradient, lol that's making stuff up right there.  :p

Maybe color constancy plays a role.  :-*

(These take into account only light in the axis of concern)

Light reflected = total incident light - light scattered due to surface roughness - light absorbed
difference between shine reflection and non shine reflection =  ABS [ (light scattered due to surface shine - light scattered due to surface roughness) ]
Light gradient = difference between shine reflection and non shine reflection / light reflected 

Here, "light reflected" will be higher for white and lower for black due to less light being absorbed.
That results in a smaller difference between shine and no shine areas on white in relation to a higher reflected light total.

Q.E.D.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 September 2012, 00:43:54 by PointyFox »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 20:35:24 »
PBT colored.

So you think it's the differing albedo? I like you way of putting it as a lesser colour gradient. The terminology quite fits.

If one had a green-lit room (think thesoulhunter), then green keycaps might be better than white

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 20:42:32 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 22:34:35 »
PBT colored.

So you think it's the differing albedo? I like you way of putting it as a lesser colour gradient. The terminology quite fits.

If one had a green-lit room (think thesoulhunter), then green keycaps might be better than white

Yes, differing albedo.  Higher albedo will produce a higher "noise floor" for the shine/no-shine gradient and make it less noticeable.

If the walls are green and the key caps are green, green light reflecting off the walls will then reflect again off the key caps, but not be absorbed as much as other colors.
This would decrease the "light absorbed" value which would increase the "light reflected" value.  If the light reflected is increased, the light gradient would be decreased and the relative difference of the shine versus no shine would be decreased and shine would not be as noticeable. 

« Last Edit: Mon, 03 September 2012, 22:39:48 by PointyFox »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 22:47:22 »

Offline posthaste

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 10:35:17 »
Those old white/beige IBM Model M keyboards were very resistent to that kind of wear.  Apple also made a full-size white (heavy-duty) keyboard back in the early '90s that never shined up no matter how much I pounded on it.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 20:33:48 »
Those old white/beige IBM Model M keyboards were very resistent to that kind of wear.  Apple also made a full-size white (heavy-duty) keyboard back in the early '90s that never shined up no matter how much I pounded on it.
'cause the Apple Extended keyboard and the IBM keyboards both used PBT keycaps.

That's why "pbt coloured" keycaps don't shine.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 20:34:47 »
i should take a picture of my AEKII. the case is disgusting but the keys are sparkling white.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline posthaste

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 21:15:51 »
For old time's sake:

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 22:38:08 »
that one actually looks pretty decent. the body on mine is very yellow.
in related news i got an imate in the mail so i might actually start using my aek!

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 04:50:11 »
@PointyFox
Are involved in some sort of image/video processing/compression development by chance?
Just asking because your way of explaining this things sound so familiar to me... >.>

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 06:13:49 »

All 50 shades of grey work
Razer 'White'widow [Blue MX Switch]
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39342.0

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 02:21:17 »
@PointyFox
Are involved in some sort of image/video processing/compression development by chance?
Just asking because your way of explaining this things sound so familiar to me... >.>

Nope!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 02:27:31 »
A deep hue of off-auburn periwinkle with a cream wine lime base.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
What color?
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 02:29:29 »
A deep hue of off-auburn periwinkle with a cream wine lime base.

Made me lol