Author Topic: PBT Keycaps, worth the money? Also Cherry profile or OEM?  (Read 9261 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
PBT Keycaps, worth the money? Also Cherry profile or OEM?
« on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 12:12:54 »
Hello guys so I noticed my Filco MX Red's keycaps feel a bit thin.  I'm not sure if that's because of the switch (I came from MX Brown) or that's just the way it is wit Filco MX Red (I'll do some keycap swapping to test this later this weekend).  So I start considering into buying thick PBT keycaps for better feel.  Now I have a few questions.

I saw a set of thick PBT keycap wit dye sub lettering, but it cost $100 it's almost like buying another keyboard.  Do you guys think it's worth the money?  Does it actually make it feel a lot better?  Or should I just get the cheaper $60 something PBT ones?

Another question is I think some PBT set comes in Cherry profile (lower height).  How does it compare to OEM profile.  I've only used keyboards with OEM height so I'm not sure how the Cherry ones would feel like.

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks !!!

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: PBT Keycaps, worth the money? Also Cherry profile or OEM?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 12:57:46 »
I've got a set of Ducky lasered PBT that cost me $45 and a set of Imsto's thick dye-sub PBT that was ~$90.  They are different, but the value in the thick keycaps for me is more in appearance and the quality of the legends.  Some of the Ducky's look faded or dirty because the lasering is uneven.

The thicker caps sound different, but not in a way that is better or worse.  They feel different, the texture is a little less obvious on the thick caps.  I'd like a stronger texture but that's a miniscule issue for me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 September 2012, 12:59:46 by alaricljs »
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline modulor

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 14:18:27 »
IMO: Are the thicker caps better...in comparison to thin?  I'd say so.  Is it worth the higher premium?  That's debatable - depends what you're comfortable with.  In terms of feel, I think PBT caps are awesome, be it thick or thin.  You'll likely notice a difference coming from the OEM Filco ABS caps regardless of thickness if you go with PBT.  Both plastics have different textures and weight to them that only holding them and typing on them yourself will reveal.  Regardless of material, I would personally prefer the lower cherry profile over OEM.

Ultimately, you won't know until you've tried them to find what you'll prefer.  It's the same as the situation with various switches.  If you try something out and don't like it, you can always put it in the classifieds and someone will likely take it off your hands.  :)

I'd also recommend checking out o-ring switch dampeners if you are looking to alter typing feel.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 16:52:24 »
Yes, pbt are nice and I also prefer Cherry profile to anything. If you want a set like that for cheaper, take a look at my groupbuy, tomorrow is the last day for orders.

Offline DarkShot

• Professional Procrastinator
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 16:57:07 »
Can't comment on the different profiles as all I've used is OEM as well, but the difference between ABS and PBT keycaps was noticeably in a very good way. Each keypress had a more solid feel to it, and the texture also feels great in my opinion.

I'd say grab a set of PBT keys and try them out. I love them and don't wanna go back to ABS keycaps.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 17:23:07 »
I asked the same question a few months back, PBT is worth it but I also really like DS keys.

My favorite profile SP but that's because I haven't tried cherry profile yet.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 18:43:26 »
You can usually get some cherry PBT (Or POM) pretty cheaply (try classifieds, my set was $20). PBT is way better than ABS, and it's not even that expensive.

Offline Wess

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 21:32:07 »
You can usually get some cherry PBT (Or POM) pretty cheaply (try classifieds, my set was $20). PBT is way better than ABS, and it's not even that expensive.

Can you please put together a group buy for some front printed keycaps for TKL boards? I would be grateful if I can get some for that price :P

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 21:52:25 »
The thick PBT are different from the regular pbt.

The thick pbt adds a great deal of weight to the keys. They also rebound a little bit slower.

They're definitely NOT worth the price. but people around here are you know, a little crazy..

The regular pbt are the same thickness as the abs caps. the only difference is the "satin" texture on them do not wear out as quickly.

But, rest assure, they DO wear out. It's only a matter of time.

Shine looks ugly on "black" abs because it looks like a layer of oil on otherwise satin keys.

But if you have bright colored ABS, it looks fine, and is hardly noticeble.

I recommend the WASD abs caps for bright colors.

they do make White and black PBT, i don't recommend black keys in general, because they'll shine, EVENTUALLY, pbt or abs.

The white keys, you might choose to go with the PBT on ebay from feng. But take note, they're not printer paper white. They're shifted towards Blue and violet.

The abs keys from WASD are closer to printer paper white.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 21:55:39 »
I'd also recommend checking out o-ring switch dampeners if you are looking to alter typing feel.

lol I tried the 40A o-ring before and didn't like the reduction in bottom out distance.  Took it off after 20 minutes haha.

But yeah PBT sounds pretty promising because I also like thicker/heavier keycaps.  I think I'll give it a try.  Also maybe I'll give cherry profile a try too if the opportunity comes by, seems like everyone all prefer cherry over OEM out of all the posts I've read :)

Thanks guys !

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 22:00:38 »

lol I tried the 40A o-ring before and didn't like the reduction in bottom out distance.  Took it off after 20 minutes haha.

But yeah PBT sounds pretty promising because I also like thicker/heavier keycaps.  I think I'll give it a try.  Also maybe I'll give cherry profile a try too if the opportunity comes by, seems like everyone all prefer cherry over OEM out of all the posts I've read :)

Thanks guys !

Yea, it honestly felt like typing with a "condom" on the keys, it's just not the raw experience. that's the best way I can describe orings.

I gave it a good month, but eventually I took it off.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 22:11:40 »
Yea, it honestly felt like typing with a "condom" on the keys, it's just not the raw experience. that's the best way I can describe orings.

LOL I think I read it from another post somewhere, this guy was comparing the short travel distance of Cherry ML switches vs the long travel of Cherry MX swithces.  He was saying how it's like doggy style where you want the longer travel distance to have this satisfying thrust and bounce back when you bottom out.

People on this forum have the best analogy on keyboards.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 23:42:54 »
There is a very noticeable feel between ABS and PBT. If it's "worth it" is relative to how bad you want them and how much money you have. No one can really speak for you on this matter. But I think if you're on this forum for a while, the price shock will eventually subside.