Author Topic: Trying to find my first car.  (Read 5573 times)

Offline zzAaron

Trying to find my first car.
« on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 23:15:14 »
Hey guys,
I'm getting my license next month and I need to find a car or else I'd have to drive a honda odyssey to school. -cringes-

(Yes i am pretty darn young)

I have a small budget around 5k. Seems like I can only buy a ****ty old car but I dont mind as long as it runs and it looks satisfactory.

Right now I'm trying to get maybe an old integra or bmw 325/8i. Lol.. maybe a normal civic or civic hatch.

I'm looking around on craigslist and I see a lot of potential cars :D but I dont know what to look for under the hood. My dad barely knows about cars and I'm scared it might break down etc.

tldr: help a noob find out what to look for in a used car.

- Aaron
Ducky 9008G2 Browns, White Filco TKL Reds

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Re: Trying to find my first car.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 23:23:54 »
Shouldn't be too big of a deal to find an E36 anywhere from $1500 - $5000.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3343855217.html This one should be ok, I'm worried about how there's no good picture of the repairs that caused the title to become salvage, but if you could get it for $2200-$2500 it's a good deal.

(I own a 318i.  My biggest issue is lack of power, but considering this is your first car I'd say keep the power low.  Plus there are a ton of mods available to make this awesome since it's the same chassis as the e36 m3, which means all of the suspension parts transfer for the most part.)

From there, tips to avoid getting hosed:

Look for puddles:  Be vigilant about this, if you go to someone's house, they may have moved it from where they normally park it so keep an eye out for stains and ask about them if you see them.
Listen to it idle/rev the engine gently in neutral:  If it makes a metallic clicking or thrumming sound, it could have damaged internals or be low on oil.
Look for things that don't make sense, like parts left/right that don't match, ripples in paint/body, mismatched tires.  Again, ask a ton of questions.

There are several others and I'll add some more of my own when I can think of them.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 23:30:55 »
I'd drive the Oddesy. I'm a new driver too, so the car I drive is a '96 Grand Am that isn't the greatest, but point A to B is all I need.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 23:35:25 »
My friend was recently looking at cars too..  He ended up with a Nissan R32.  It's got a nismo certified/tuned engine and aftermarket shocks.

ALL for $15,000

Pretty sure NOTHING will beat it at that price.

That I6 Engine especially, will probably outlast most cars out there...

Offline zzAaron

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 23:41:18 »

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3343855217.html This one should be ok, I'm worried about how there's no good picture of the repairs that caused the title to become salvage, but if you could get it for $2200-$2500 it's a good deal.

(I own a 318i.  My biggest issue is lack of power, but considering this is your first car I'd say keep the power low.  Plus there are a ton of mods available to make this awesome since it's the same chassis as the e36 m3, which means all of the suspension parts transfer for the most part.)

Look for puddles:  Be vigilant about this, if you go to someone's house, they may have moved it from where they normally park it so keep an eye out for stains and ask about them if you see them.
Listen to it idle/rev the engine gently in neutral:  If it makes a metallic clicking or thrumming sound, it could have damaged internals or be low on oil.
Look for things that don't make sense, like parts left/right that don't match, ripples in paint/body, mismatched tires.  Again, ask a ton of questions.

There are several others and I'll add some more of my own when I can think of them.

Thanks for the quick reply. This list is something I was looking for. I need to know what to watch out for.
On another note. It seems like I'd probly have to automatic. Not that I want to but my parents want me to be more experienced before driving manual.

Heres something I found not sure if it has problems though.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3356612704.html

I'd drive the Oddesy. I'm a new driver too, so the car I drive is a '96 Grand Am that isn't the greatest, but point A to B is all I need.

Trying to make my parents use the van so I can drive the accord instead but they have a long commute and it saves more gas. I want to get my own car because I wont always be able to drive my parents car.

Offline zzAaron

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 23:42:17 »
My friend was recently looking at cars too..  He ended up with a Nissan R32.  It's got a nismo certified/tuned engine and aftermarket shocks.

ALL for $15,000

I got around 5k. maybe 6. if I push it. Poor college student here haha.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 23:44:42 »

ALL for $15,000

That's a smoking deal for what it is.  Totally not a "just got license" car, but yeah.

Offline zzAaron

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 23:48:07 »
I've always dreamt of a skyline when I was in middle school. I always got picked on by those corvette kids. /sigh

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 23:48:46 »

Thanks for the quick reply. This list is something I was looking for. I need to know what to watch out for.
On another note. It seems like I'd probly have to automatic. Not that I want to but my parents want me to be more experienced before driving manual.

Trying to make my parents use the van so I can drive the accord instead but they have a long commute and it saves more gas. I want to get my own car because I wont always be able to drive my parents car.

Just basing it off of how the one light is fogged while the other is clear, it's possible there's been a fender bender in this thing's past.  From there, with it having 136k (a fair amount, tbh) there's probably a lot of maintenance that needs to be considered as well.

It may need a pair of tires soon as well (know the penny test?  ignore it and use a quarter instead)

All in all, it's a solid car.  Offer him $4500 and go from there. 

Offline zzAaron

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 23:57:26 »

Just basing it off of how the one light is fogged while the other is clear, it's possible there's been a fender bender in this thing's past.  From there, with it having 136k (a fair amount, tbh) there's probably a lot of maintenance that needs to be considered as well.

It may need a pair of tires soon as well (know the penny test?  ignore it and use a quarter instead)

All in all, it's a solid car.  Offer him $4500 and go from there. 

Oh god LOL. I didn't even notice the fogged light. Exactly what I was worried about. I'm scared I might miss out on some important info. Trying to find someone knowledgeable to bring to check out the cars but my dad sucks haha.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 00:13:44 »
where did you last leave it?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline zzAaron

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 00:26:54 »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 00:32:46 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 00:35:36 »
i dont know bro, where did he last leave it?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 00:39:21 »

Post# 2222
Keyboardless

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 00:46:56 »
I've always dreamt of a skyline when I was in middle school. I always got picked on by those corvette kids. /sigh

I've always felt that the Corvette looked very "feminine" being so svelte and close to the ground...

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 00:51:13 »
For a cheap, pretty reliable and alright looking....Honda civic. Both my roomates have them, and I see so many everywhere it makes me hate them!
But they are good cars.

Offline Surreal Killa

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 01:41:44 »
People never consider the safety rating of vehicles. You should check out these sites:

safecar.gov
howsafeisyourcar.com.au
You're not hardcore! (No, you're not hardcore)
Unless you live hardcore! (Unless you live hardcore)
But the legend of the rent was way hardcore!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 03:14:21 »
For a cheap, pretty reliable and alright looking....Honda civic. Both my roomates have them, and I see so many everywhere it makes me hate them!
But they are good cars.

The new "ghetto" version civics are like literally a giant box and mostly empty space.

If you look under the hood it just looks "empty.."   

I know this is sorta cuz they can make better engines nowadays, more power and smaller, but still.. it's feels and drives like a toy... ;D

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 18:16:22 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2015, 16:38:18 by esoomenona »

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: Re: Trying to find my first car.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 20:14:55 »
I picked up my all stock 2000 Civic Si from the first owner (a firefighter), with all service records, for $4300. I love this thing so much. EG/EK are just better and more reliable IMO. I've known a couple people with newer models, and they weren't nearly as reliable.

Show Image

Need to slam that thing and swap out the bottom with a b18 and gsr tranny :)
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 20:19:31 »
Just do this to your car:

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 22:47:50 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2015, 16:36:48 by esoomenona »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 22:49:19 »

Show Image

There are many times I want one of these more than I want my next breath.  Then, I remember that I have a 300zxTT and everything is ok for a little while longer...

Offline zzAaron

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 23:05:04 »

Show Image

I WISH.

I picked up my all stock 2000 Civic Si from the first owner (a firefighter), with all service records, for $4300. I love this thing so much. EG/EK are just better and more reliable IMO. I've known a couple people with newer models, and they weren't nearly as reliable.

Show Image

Need to slam that thing and swap out the bottom with a b18 and gsr tranny :)

Looking for a deal like this. Guess it just takes time