Author Topic: Nutrition, help pls!!  (Read 9293 times)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Nutrition, help pls!!
« on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 20:34:45 »
I think one of the hardest things to do is eat well. And breaking bad habits are hard as hell. And having a construction job makes it even worse since I don't have a steady place I can bring a lunch to throw in the fridge and heat up at lunch time.

So any fitness gurus out there mind giving your 2 cents on what to eat while watching your weight/excersizing?

Also, people that work in an office, do you pack your lunch or eat out? If the former, what do you usually take?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: Nutrition, help pls!!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 20:56:03 »
learning the basics of the glycemic index will give you a good idea of what types of foods are good for particular activities, especially if you're counting carbs for one reason or another.

also just eat burritos for every meal, it's the official food of bicyclists world wide and you get a complete protein + veggies. can't lose!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 20:57:21 »
ugh carb counting is hard as hell :(

can't carry around a pocket scale to check out my portions

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Nutrition, help pls!!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 20:58:06 »
mmmm burritoz

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 20:59:31 »
haha i am so damn lazy about it... but insulin does not directly correlate with glucose levels afaik after factoring exercise, state before eating/taking insulin etc. you will have to be more 'exact' about it though.

nutrition facts are your friends until you start getting an idea of how many carbs are in common things (like roughly 45-50g per can of non-diet soda). also apples are high on the glycemic index so eat a lot of those and dont worry about burning the glucose, it takes all day :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 21:04:32 »
Become asian and then you won't have to worry about your weight ^^

Otherwise... eating oatmeal every morning may help. That's what I do.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 21:05:57 »
yeah demik why dont you try just not gaining or retaining weight. duh.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 21:15:03 »
If you are burning off "X" amount of calories, you need to be taking that same amount in.

If your calories are junk food, you need to get your nutrition elsewhere.

I have a juicer that I love. You can get a new one for $30-80 (or 5 times that) or if you are lucky you can get one at a yard sale or thrift store (while searching for junked keyboards) for $5-10.

This morning, typically, I had 4 carrots, half a green pepper, half a cucumber, a stalk of celery, and a couple of tomatillos which buzzed down to a large glass of greenish-orange liquid. All or part of a tomato and some fruit like berries or pineapple are a good addition. Half a beet (with or without greens) and a few kale leaves make the color much darker and richer, and the drink healthier.

So, besides a load of fresh micro-nutrients, I have 2-3 servings of quality vegetables down before 8:00 am.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 21:19:45 »
Being a fellow construction worker, you should have an advantage over some of the others who don't have a physically demanding job. Sometimes however, the extra physical activity becomes an excuse for eating more or eating poorly.

I have found that I do better by not deliberately limiting my caloric intake, but instead to make sure I get plenty of servings of vegetables and fruits in my diet. If I do that, there usually isn't a lot of room left for the garbage. The best thing is, you don't feel deprived so you're less likely to have to depend on willpower - something most of us don't have enough of. Many people on diets think of food as bad. I think that's a mistake. If we think of food as fuel, and recognize that we actually need it just like we need gas for our cars to run, then we're heading down the right path toward healthy eating.

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 21:46:10 »
Eat a balanced diet (4 food groups) and not too much. You should get 4-5 fruit and veg. a day. And make the grains like bread and pasta whole-grain when you can (Barilla has a good pasta that's 50% whole grain). Go easy on the meat and processed food (esp. deli meat).

That is eating well in a nutshell.

You can easily fit the 4 groups into things like burritos and american chop suey. If you snack more than once a day, make at least one of those snacks granola.

Hope that helps. :)
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline biochem

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 21:47:29 »
I recommend The Engine 2 Diet.  It is basically a low fat diet where only 10% of your calories come from fat. You can eat as much as you want as long as the food is low fat. You will lose weight on this diet. I've been on this diet for six months and my BMI went from 30 (just into overweight range) down to 25 (middle of normal range). And I eat whenever I'm hungry.

The author, Rip Esselstyn, is a former triathlon competitor so this diet will work for office workers or athletes.

Filco MJ2 tenkeyless (blues)
Heatware

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 21:56:28 »
One thing to look out for, though: A ton of foods (esp. processed foods) that are labeled as Lowfat have higher carbs than normal.

Sugar is one of those ingredients that they try to stuff into every single damn thing these days.

Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 21:58:43 »
you can read a ton of special diets, but if you just stick to whole, unprocessed foods; remove sugar from your diet, stop eating white rice, bread and focus on vegetables, lean meats and lots of water, you will be fine.

Of course, definitely try to stay in the 2000 calorie per day range on top of all of that. Exercising regularly helps too.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 22:19:27 »
http://www.johnstonefitness.com/

Everything, including the forums, have helped me recognize and do what I need to get and stay healthy.

But generic points:
Processed grains are bad, keep an eye out for them
Most prepared foods have a lot more sodium than you realize, which means you retain water and stay puffy.
White meat > red meat in terms of protein content.
Protein powder can be your friend if you pick the right one. Shake in the morning with fiber keeps you full (and regular) and always have one right before you work out.  I use http://www.dymatize.com/products/protein/detail/85/elite-gourmet-protein-2-lb/ or http://www.dymatize.com/products/protein/detail/73/iso-100-1.6-lb/ (the former is tastier, the tasiest I've ever had) my roommate uses http://www.atlargenutrition.com/
Since you work outdoors, if you haven't already, buy one of these bad boys and pack it full of chicken, turkey and veggies.  http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers/All-Coolers/9-Quart-Island-Breeze

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 23:18:21 »
There are a few things that you can just gorge on if you're dieting. Beans, greens, and baked birds. Just prepare a good amount and that should sustain you for a few days, and throw some lean beef steaks or buffalo in there for variety. Steer clear of 'white' carbs like pasta and white breads, pork(sadly) and other red meats. Better to just cut out bread altogether because it's tricky. Also avoid sugar and salty food and cut out soda and fruit juice. Lower sodium the better, none if that's doable. Also avoid bananas, recent studies show they make your body store fat longer or something. Other good things to eat are nuts avocados, dark berries like blueberries and pomegranate. One more thing, set aside 1 day a week where you just eat whatever you want for dinner. Mine was Saturday, I would eat an entire pizza, a six pack of microbrews, and ice cream for dessert. This keeps your metabolism active, because it will slow down if you just stick to a diet for a extended period.

Lastly, exercise, I used to just diet and never exercise but as soon as I started doing just 10 minutes of exercise in the mornings each day I started to lose more weight. I have tried a ton of diets and pills of all sorts, but this is what worked for me. I went from 357lbs to 176lbs in two years, the first 100 dropped in less than 6 months but the rest I had to work hard for. Good luck, the key is sticking to it, not planning.

Oh, almost forgot one more trick. Drink a full glass of cold water before every meal and wait 5-10 minutes after until you eat. This was a game changer for me. F***ing amazing how it worked.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 October 2012, 23:26:35 by noisyturtle »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 23:47:44 »
Being a fellow construction worker, you should have an advantage over some of the others who don't have a physically demanding job.

You'd think, right?

But after so many years of doing (almost) the same thing, it stops being a work out. I go up and down ladders all day, you'd think that'd be a hell of a work out but sadly.. it does nothing. But, your second point makes sense.

Sometimes however, the extra physical activity becomes an excuse for eating more or eating poorly.
This is true, before I got into the mindset of wanting to lose weight and get into shape I used the excuse of "Well, I'm working 12 hours so those large fries and large drink will be gone by then." But then it became a habit of ordering everything large.

I have found that I do better by not deliberately limiting my caloric intake, but instead to make sure I get plenty of servings of vegetables and fruits in my diet. If I do that, there usually isn't a lot of room left for the garbage. The best thing is, you don't feel deprived so you're less likely to have to depend on willpower - something most of us don't have enough of. Many people on diets think of food as bad. I think that's a mistake. If we think of food as fuel, and recognize that we actually need it just like we need gas for our cars to run, then we're heading down the right path toward healthy eating.
Yes, but getting into the habit is the hard part lol. And you're completely right, whenever I diet I feel guilty if I break it even for one meal. Hell, even on my cheat meal I get that guilty feeling.

Eat a balanced diet (4 food groups) and not too much. You should get 4-5 fruit and veg. a day. And make the grains like bread and pasta whole-grain when you can (Barilla has a good pasta that's 50% whole grain). Go easy on the meat and processed food (esp. deli meat).

That is eating well in a nutshell.

You can easily fit the 4 groups into things like burritos and american chop suey. If you snack more than once a day, make at least one of those snacks granola.

Hope that helps. :)

I try to get all the food groups in but there is just stuff I can't stomach lol. But thanks for your input!

I recommend The Engine 2 Diet.  It is basically a low fat diet where only 10% of your calories come from fat. You can eat as much as you want as long as the food is low fat. You will lose weight on this diet. I've been on this diet for six months and my BMI went from 30 (just into overweight range) down to 25 (middle of normal range). And I eat whenever I'm hungry.

The author, Rip Esselstyn, is a former triathlon competitor so this diet will work for office workers or athletes.

thanks for the link! Funny enough, one of my main goals before I hit 35 is to compete in a triathlon. But first I need to train.. and learn how to swim.

you can read a ton of special diets, but if you just stick to whole, unprocessed foods; remove sugar from your diet, stop eating white rice, bread and focus on vegetables, lean meats and lots of water, you will be fine.

Of course, definitely try to stay in the 2000 calorie per day range on top of all of that. Exercising regularly helps too.

I have completely given up just about any drink that isn't water. I'll drink a gatorade here  and there but other than, strictly water. And when I'm cycling, water with for the electrolytes and potassium. I've been told gatorade would kind of do the same but that has a ton more sugar.

http://www.johnstonefitness.com/

Everything, including the forums, have helped me recognize and do what I need to get and stay healthy.

But generic points:
Processed grains are bad, keep an eye out for them
Most prepared foods have a lot more sodium than you realize, which means you retain water and stay puffy.
White meat > red meat in terms of protein content.
Protein powder can be your friend if you pick the right one. Shake in the morning with fiber keeps you full (and regular) and always have one right before you work out.  I use http://www.dymatize.com/products/protein/detail/85/elite-gourmet-protein-2-lb/ or http://www.dymatize.com/products/protein/detail/73/iso-100-1.6-lb/ (the former is tastier, the tasiest I've ever had) my roommate uses http://www.atlargenutrition.com/
Since you work outdoors, if you haven't already, buy one of these bad boys and pack it full of chicken, turkey and veggies.  http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers/All-Coolers/9-Quart-Island-Breeze
Thanks for the link! I used to take protein shakes while I did Muay Thai. Used to drink it with oj and blended strawberries. But this time around I'm trying to cut it out due to it maybe causing kidney stones. And, I've suffered in the past from kidney stones and it SUCKS.

But I'll definitely check out the link.

There are a few things that you can just gorge on if you're dieting. Beans, greens, and baked birds. Just prepare a good amount and that should sustain you for a few days, and throw some lean beef steaks or buffalo in there for variety. Steer clear of 'white' carbs like pasta and white breads, pork(sadly) and other red meats. Better to just cut out bread altogether because it's tricky. Also avoid sugar and salty food and cut out soda and fruit juice. Lower sodium the better, none if that's doable. Also avoid bananas, recent studies show they make your body store fat longer or something. Other good things to eat are nuts avocados, dark berries like blueberries and pomegranate. One more thing, set aside 1 day a week where you just eat whatever you want for dinner. Mine was Saturday, I would eat an entire pizza, a six pack of microbrews, and ice cream for dessert. This keeps your metabolism active, because it will slow down if you just stick to a diet for a extended period.

Lastly, exercise, I used to just diet and never exercise but as soon as I started doing just 10 minutes of exercise in the mornings each day I started to lose more weight. I have tried a ton of diets and pills of all sorts, but this is what worked for me. I went from 357lbs to 176lbs in two years, the first 100 dropped in less than 6 months but the rest I had to work hard for. Good luck, the key is sticking to it, not planning.

Oh, almost forgot one more trick. Drink a full glass of cold water before every meal and wait 5-10 minutes after until you eat. This was a game changer for me. F***ing amazing how it worked.

See, this is what confuses me sometimes. I used to take Muay Thai, and if anybody has seen the fights/training.. it's a hell of a work out. I was told by my teacher that carbs were good for energy. Of course, not too many but just enough that I don't feel drained at the end of the day. I figured that'd be the same as I go to the gym every night for 1-2 hours and then do cycling for 3-4 hours whenever I can (this past week I've done it almost every day due to work being low, but usually it's just Sundays until I get rollers or a fluid trainer).

I've minimized my sugary drink intake a ton. I've maybe drank soda once since I started trying to get into shape (2 months now). It's 99% water, with the occasional Gatorade here or there. About the banana thing, I've always been told it's good for working out due to the potassium it has. Not a huge fan of bananas so for the most part I ignored it.. until the other day I woke up due to the most painful cramp I have ever gotten. Since then, I eat a banana before working out (whether it's gym or cycling) and after (unless it's gym, because I get out late and I know that bananas can also be fattening).

For snacks, if I don't have fruits I usually eat trail mix. It'll kill my hunger until my next meal. I try to eat small portions every 3-4 hours to keep my metabolism going instead of holding my stomach hostage until the next meal. I have a cheat meal also, and it's also on Saturday. This past weekend I skipped it because I had just put in about 4 hours of cycling and I figured I'd just be throwing that away by eating a huge meal that I honestly didn't even want. Cheat day was the day I looked forward the whole week. I ****ing loved Panda Express, now just the thought of eating it makes me sick.

And congrats on the huge weight loss!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 00:01:17 »
Also, if you like it, drink unsweetened tea.  Gets your body temp up with the caffeine which in turn burns calories.  Additionally, I realize I didn't clarify, but I only use water with my protein powders.  I can't stand skim milk, whole milk is retarded since I'm not muscle building, I'm maintaining current amounts while trying to cut and I don't like fruit smoothies so the thickness powder adds to juice is bleh to me.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 00:09:16 »
There is a ton of stuff I need to get used to eating/drinking too.

So far in the ~2 months I've started this I've lost around 20 lbs.

Usually my diet consists of fruits, vegetables, chicken and fish. And tons of water.

Gym every night (unless I can cycle the next day) for 1-2 hours. Cycling for 3 hours whenever I can. So far it's working. But I'd like to eat a little healthier so I don't have to fall back on the ton of working out to even it out.

Offline chaumeow

• Does not like onions.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 00:18:56 »
^ Wow!! Congrats!!!!

I was just about to post what I think but sounds like you're doing perfectly fine! That's some dedication! :D Good job, Demik!!!

Filco White Tenkeyless Ninja- Cherry MX Red | Das Black Model S - Cherry MX Blue | Matias Tactile Pro

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 00:28:54 »
Thanks, and I'm open to all suggestions :).

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 00:32:46 »
I hear sperm is good for diets, it's filled with protein.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 00:33:12 »
lets be srs here.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 00:44:40 »
I hear sperm is good for diets, it's filled with protein.

Pretty sure it's got glucose in it, too, so it would be bad for diet.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 02:46:27 »
The only thing you have to worry about is Processed foods. This includes some off the shelf breads.

What I eat:

Protein: Meats, Eggs, unsalted peanuts
Carbohydrates: Rice, and assorted Fruits
Fiber: Assorted vegetables

Workout twice a week.

And finally, just remember, be weary of ALL "complicated" health advice.
Be weary of health advice in General.
Never take advice from fat people.
Never take advice from women, because they read stupid **** like magazines. "laden with 'emotion'"

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 02:49:34 »
Nice hat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 02:58:55 »
Nice hat.
What you doing up so late. Yea, that's my asian pride hat, internet version  :)

I'm on my 3G air card, piece of **** only gives me 50KB/s upload, and 50KB/s download.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 03:03:09 »
Also, I feel that many people should change their relationship with food.

Food is a "fuel"

However, people tend to eat for reasons well BEYOND that.

People eat to "feel" good. This is where all the problems usually begin in terms of overeating or undereating.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
Nutrition, help pls!!
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 03:05:55 »
You shall know this one for sure, but if not stay away from tacos
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 03:11:09 »
never been a fan of mexican food tbh

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 03:21:19 »
Yes, tacos are especially bad because it's in the "highly" refined category.

Tortilla: flour, yeast,  These things used to be mostly natural, Not so much anymore post industrial processing

Add to that creation of most off the shelf tortillas include "anti-mold" preservatives. and may also include "other" leavening agents.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 04:06:34 »
Eh, you guys seem to have more control than I. I'll avoid any physical exertion at most any cost. Exercise, doing the dishes, and Hitler are three things I try to avoid. Happy just not being fat anymore, being in shape... it seems like a lot of work.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
Nutrition, help pls!!
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 04:15:41 »
never been a fan of mexican food tbh
Shame on you ;-). I love it
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 00:32:23 »
I am a big fan of calories in vs calories out.  In short, eat less than you need in a day you lose weight.  Eat more, you gain weight. 

I am also not a fan of 'dieting' in terms of eating less simply to cut out calories.  I agree it is important to eat healthy (most of the time).

If I were to lose weight I would simply add in the cardio ~40min a couple days a week of HIIT.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 00:35:24 »
Forget 'eat', most people drink far more calories than they realize and your body has no regulation for liquid calorie intake.  We evolved with water and our bodies don't know any better.

I lost 45 lbs by cutting soda and most juice out of my daily intake and the addition of some not terribly heavy manual labor (refinished a kitchen, did some drywall).  Did that in ~8 months and only ~3.5 had the labor.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline tcv

Re: Re: Nutrition, help pls!!
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 10:39:01 »
I think one of the hardest things to do is eat well. And breaking bad habits are hard as hell. And having a construction job makes it even worse since I don't have a steady place I can bring a lunch to throw in the fridge and heat up at lunch time.

So any fitness gurus out there mind giving your 2 cents on what to eat while watching your weight/excersizing?

Also, people that work in an office, do you pack your lunch or eat out? If the former, what do you usually take?

Lean protein. Small meals. Water. No soda or alcohol.

Offline nokcha

• * Vendor
  • www.Keypop.net [키팝.net]
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 11:21:11 »
If you're doing heavy construction work your BMR should be higher than most people your size.
Work towards a Paleo diet. Start including steamed vegetables and protein in your meals. Little to no rice or any refined carbohydrate.
It's not how much you work out but how well you eat. You can work out like an athlete but you won't get much weight loss if you're eating junk food.
Drink **** tons of more water. Hell, drink a nice tall glass of water before a meal. It'll definitely help you control the portions you eat.

Overall just get into the habit of eating better foods. The first 1-2 weeks will make you feel like **** because your body is producing amino acids specifically to digest all the junk food. Once you can break the first 1-2 weeks I promise you that you won't have a strong craving for junk food like you did before.

And try crossfit. There are beginner routines. If muscle retention is not a concern for you then just power walk, run, or jump rope.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 15:38:51 »
If you're doing heavy construction work your BMR should be higher than most people your size.
Work towards a Paleo diet. Start including steamed vegetables and protein in your meals. Little to no rice or any refined carbohydrate.
It's not how much you work out but how well you eat. You can work out like an athlete but you won't get much weight loss if you're eating junk food.
Drink **** tons of more water. Hell, drink a nice tall glass of water before a meal. It'll definitely help you control the portions you eat.

Overall just get into the habit of eating better foods. The first 1-2 weeks will make you feel like **** because your body is producing amino acids specifically to digest all the junk food. Once you can break the first 1-2 weeks I promise you that you won't have a strong craving for junk food like you did before.

And try crossfit. There are beginner routines. If muscle retention is not a concern for you then just power walk, run, or jump rope.

This is "false" There isn't nearly as much heavy lifting in construction as many think, you're on your feet often, but it's nothing like a "gym workout" where you grow mass. Because there isn't adequate rest period on the JOB.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 16:34:28 »
yeah what tp said. My work is mostly finish work. Lots of walking and going up and down ladders but not so much lifting.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 17:11:53 »

Hey Demik:

When I started my dieting/exercise, I made up a few rules. This is what I did, and for the most part, I still keep up with it.

1> Avoid pre-processed foods.

Of course this can't completely be avoided but I try to cook with fresh meat, fruit, and vegetables. I don't buy microwave meals, lots of canned foods, etc.

2> Cook my own food and completely stop eating fast food.

This ties in with 1. I learned to cook my own food and made it a hobby. When you have control over what types of ingredients, the amount of oil, sugar, and the kind of meat that you're eating, you're much better off. I cut out fast food entirely as it's completely unhealthy for the most part and it doesn't taste that good to me.

3> Use Splenda instead of sugar.

I use splenda in my coffee, I use it when I make smoothies, milkshakes, even desserts. If you use it for a while instead of sugar, you can't tell the difference.

4> Eat my largest meal in the morning.

I basically switched dinner to breakfast. Because I eat mostly Asian food anyway and am used to eating rice and meat for breakfast, this wasn't difficult. But I remember hearing that it's healthiest to eat your biggest meal in the morning so that's what I did. Now that I run almost every day or bicycle, by the time I get home I'm completely starved anyway.

5> Replace potato chips, cookies, and other snacks with fruit and vegetables.

I love to snack but used to eat anything, snack cakes, potato chips, whatever. Nowadays I still snack a lot between meals, but it's baby carrots, apples, bananas, mango, lychee, you name it.

6> Don't eat before going to bed.

This was a must for me. I used to eat sandwiches, leftovers, whatever just before bed. I stopped doing that completely. I do still drink beer at night. A lot of people said you can't drink and lose weight. I drank beer throughout my diet, I still think you can in moderation and as long as you continue to exercise.

7> Bring my lunch to work.

I started bringing my lunch to work. I still bring the same two things and it's been over two years. I bring a massive salad with baked chicken w/ a side of light dressing (you can eat almost as much of this as you'd like as long as you cut out the croutons and the bacon bits). I also make vegetarian tortilla wraps with either hummus or some other kind of beans with pickles and a container or light yogurt on the side.

8> Drink diet soda

I like drinking soda. I hated drinking diet soda. Just like anything else, you do it enough, you can't tell the difference.

8> Reward myself once in a while.

Once a month or so of consistent diet and exercise, I go to and absolutely destroy a buffet. There's nothing wrong with rewarding yourself once in awhile.

9> Spice it up.

When I started cooking my own food, I thought it tasted bland because it wasn't fatty, oily, or greasy. That is all learned, and had to be unlearned. I started making my food super spicy instead. Now I can eat with Thai people, as hot as they like it, and it doesn't bother me at all.

10> Continue exercising.

This is probably the most important part. Consistent exercise. I started by walking, did it everyday. Now I run 6-8 miles a day, or bicycle 22-24 miles, and I do that six days a week.

Hope this helped...

Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 17:47:33 »
Valuable info moon! Thank you very much :)

Is there anything specific you cook?

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 18:21:18 »
Valuable info moon! Thank you very much :)

Is there anything specific you cook?

Well most of the food we cook is Asian but here are some examples... all for breakfast no less...

Shaking Beef with fried rice and vegetables

Grilled pork with jasmine rice and pickled vegetables in lime/fish sauce

Vietnamese pancakes :)

Custard stuffed Kobacha Squash (not for breakfast)

Lotus Root and mushroom stir fry

Vietnamese crepe with shrimp, turkey loaf strips, and bean sprouts

Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 19:18:26 »
Holy Sh!t!

That is almost too beautiful to eat.

I wish I could convince my kids to eat stuff that looked like that.

Great Work!
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 19:20:15 »
that first meal.. holy crap that looks delicious.

then i scrolled down and now im hungry

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 19:28:17 »
I'm sorry Demik. I was going to modify my post and delete the pictures, that was rude of me, sorry for getting you hungry. I guess I posted them because it's a bit difficult to explain what I cook except it's mostly Asian. I eat a lot of rice, I eat that or noodles daily, so I don't think eating rice is bad at all. Most Asians in Asia eat rice and most are still thin. Really, I eat what I want for breakfast, but it's all fresh food, fresh ingredients. I think that's part of the key to success, this doesn't have to be torture, we can still eat good food and lose weight.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 19:32:02 »
no it's okay, 5 o'clock is the time i eat since i have to hit the gym at 8. gives me time to digest my food so i dont feel full when im running

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 19:42:59 »
Yeah I don't like to run with food in my stomach, either. I wish you the best of luck, Demik.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 19:43:48 »
thank you sir! you've been a huge help and inspiration :)

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 21:17:00 »
Thank you so much for that, Demik. If there's anything I can do to help or give you motivation, I will.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 03:52:45 »
Treat your body more like a machine, ignore all emotional attachments to taste or joy of food.

This is how I do it.

low maintenance and 4 miles running from cops capable.

Not all of us are gifted with the time to do what m00nshake does with his food.

M00nshake are you Filipino? Viet?

Offline m00nshake

Re: Re: Nutrition, help pls!!
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 04:55:19 »
Treat your body more like a machine, ignore all emotional attachments to taste or joy of food.

This is how I do it.

low maintenance and 4 miles running from cops capable.

Not all of us are gifted with the time to do what m00nshake does with his food.

M00nshake are you Filipino? Viet?

No I'm just a Farang but my wife is Viet. I lived in South East Asia for five years teaching ESL. My wife mostly cooked when we came back but then she got a job and didn't have time to cook any longer. I made it a hobby to learn how to cook Asian cuisine because that's what I had been accustomed to eating for years.