Author Topic: Making a MAME Cabinet  (Read 21269 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Making a MAME Cabinet
« on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 18:20:15 »
Growing up, I spent a ton of time in arcades. I never could afford a lot of video games for my own home but for a few dollars, I could play games all day. I spent many hours shooting random baddies in games like Time Crisis, Metal Slug, and Silent Scope. I still love a good arcade and I'm lucky enough to live near a couple.

One day I was browsing Lifehacker and came across this article. Being a lover of arcades, I figured I could do better. I've never done anything like this so forgive anything that seems silly. I'm learning as I go.

First I bought some computer parts. I'm literally just going to be running MAME and MaLa on this machine. MaLa is the front-end launcher for MAME on Windows. Since I'm just running some games, the computer doesn't need to be anything special. So what I have for this build:

Motherboard: Foxconn P45A-S
CPU: Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale (Dual Core 2.5Ghz)
RAM: Corsair XMS (2GB)
PSU: ThermalTake TR2 (500W)
HDD: Seagate Momentus 250GB
GPU: Gigabyte G210
Monitor/Screen: Acer S230HLAbii Dell M992 19" CRT Monitor

Now I did have an old Samsung monitor that I bought years ago but when I shipped it to my home, FedEx smashed it. So I got reimbursed and I'm going to be upgrading from that Acer. Might as well use it somewhere else right? The monitor, the original GPU, and original RAM I was going to use all came DOA. Which is why just getting the computer running is a big accomplishment.

Now I have all these parts (Please excuse my mess):

I obviously plugged everything in and then wanted to install Windows. So next I learned to start the computer without the power switch. And Big_Brother (from the GH IRC) taught me how to reset the CMOS to get the machine running.

So my next steps are to build the actual cabinet, figure out how MAME/MaLa work, and then build joysticks. I have a friend helping me with the cabinet and have an idea of what I want it to be like. Instead of standing, I want to sit at the machine. The old fighting game arcade cabinets have this setup. This picture is from a local arcade:

I'm going to buy a nightstand or something that is like the piece of furniture from the Lifehacker article and make that as the base. I'll have to create an incline in order to mount my monitor on it.

I'll keep updating this as I move along with the project. It might take a little while since I have work and I have another important project I'm working on simulatenously.

Please let me know what you guys think and I welcome as much help as I can get. I honestly have no idea where I'm going to get the joystick/buttons and don't know how I'd hook that all up. Thanks for checking this out!

Edit (2/8/13): So my goal was to get the MAME software running and try out some games. I figured this would be a quick task since I already installed Windows 2 weeks ago. Turns out I got trolled and I messed up the install somehow. It took me like 2 hours to figure out I messed up. I reinstalled Windows, got the video driver and MAME working. Some pics...

I never thought I'd be so happy to see that stupid Windows flag. Took me forever to figure out  that I should just reformat and reinstall the OS.

Got MAME running, it was way easier than the last time I tried. Finally, something that goes smoothly on this project.

I did it! I celebrated by smashing buildings. ALL THE BUILDINGS

Next task is to get a front end going like MaLa and to actually build the cabinet itself.

Edit (3/12/13): This project is slow going. I got side tracked with other projects and then work decided I needed to work a lot more. But I'm still going. Check out the new retro hotness :D.

Now I have all the computer parts. Next is to actually build the cabinet itself.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 March 2013, 17:01:21 by CPTBadAss »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Making a MAME Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 18:20:30 »
Reserved for future updates.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 18:25:06 »
Good luck, I love arcade machines, I used to own a double time crisis machine which I had to sell for space. But I still have a good old fashioned Space Invaders in storage which needs a new plug and a clean, you've inspired me to get it out :D
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 18:26:05 »
Good luck, I love arcade machines, I used to own a double time crisis machine which I had to sell for space. But I still have a good old fashioned Space Invaders in storage which needs a new plug and a clean, you've inspired me to get it out :D

You had a double Time Crisis machine?? I'm so jealous. If I didn't already have this cabinet project in mind, I would've bought up a few....and an SNES....and an NES.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 18:28:16 »

You had a double Time Crisis machine?? I'm so jealous. If I didn't already have this cabinet project in mind, I would've bought up a few....and an SNES....and an NES.

I am actually pretty lucky, they belonged to my dad, who gifted them to me when he moved house :D He tells me he used to play them in the news-agents next door to his shop, and when they closed down he bought them :)
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 18:39:14 »
Always wanted to have a MAME cabinet, never had the time or space.   I like the standing ones but with a stool.   I would want to build it with a shallow profile so it would sit against the wall when not in use.

I also picture some kind of rotating screen setup so it could be used with vertical scrollers and side scrollers.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 18:40:54 »
Always wanted to have a MAME cabinet, never had the time or space.   I like the standing ones but with a stool.   I would want to build it with a shallow profile so it would sit against the wall when not in use.

I also picture some kind of rotating screen setup so it could be used with vertical scrollers and side scrollers.

Slowly. Slowly. First we build iteration one. Then we add in the goodies.  ;D

Offline epicsilas

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 19:18:42 »
I want to build a MAME cab so bad. Someday I will, I swear!
Check out http://www.reddit.com/r/cade for some cool pictures and info.

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:16:51 »
Wow, mame and arcade cabinets were my life for about five years. That ended about 5 years ago. I used a front end called mamewah. I worked with the guy that wrote it and developed a lot of third party apparently for it and make. I Also did lots of layouts for the front end in Photoshop. Here is a link where someone preserved them.

http://wahki.mameau.com/index.php?title=Extras:CPviewer_Mamewah_layouts

I had 3 cabinets, a full size, a cocktail and a barrios. His have since given them all away. Ahhhhh,  the good old days. I will try and post a few pics if I can find some.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:20:28 »
Wow, mame and arcade cabinets were my life for about five years. That ended about 5 years ago. I used a front end called mamewah. I worked with the guy that wrote it and developed a lot of third party apparently for it and make. I Also did lots of layouts for the front end in Photoshop. Here is a link where someone preserved them.

http://wahki.mameau.com/index.php?title=Extras:CPviewer_Mamewah_layouts

I had 3 cabinets, a full size, a cocktail and a barrios. His have since given them all away. Ahhhhh,  the good old days. I will try and post a few pics if I can find some.

Looks awesome! I might be sending a few PMs your way for help.  :p

I want to build a MAME cab so bad. Someday I will, I swear!
Check out http://www.reddit.com/r/cade for some cool pictures and info.

Start building one now. We can fumble along together lol

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 22:18:49 »
the cabinets in the OP are taito (?) astro city. another popular japanese sit-down cab is sega's blast city cab. if you're handy with wood (lol) and sketchup, you can make compatible cabs with some MDF, glue, nails and a few hinges, then buy the controller plates populated directly from japanese (akihabarashop is one option, see shoryuken for more refs). the controller mounting boards are the only really difficult part, and in my experience, you're way better off just getting a complete, populated blast city plate with a full wiring harness than trying to DIY that bit. there are a number of micro-based electrical controller front-ends. the only thing to really look out for is key rollover, and compatibility with the wiring harness you end up with. believe me, it's worth paying more for something that's will just socket into your controllers. wiring everything by hand is a mess. also, budget lots of extra microswitches and other wear parts if your box will see high usage. when you were a kid, you didn't see the tech that replaced all the microswitches and restrictors every month at the local arcade; but now, you get to be that tech!

source: until recently have been screwing around with/maintaining a hyperspin based full-mdf, very diy and VERY heavily trafficked mame/emu box built by some friends for the last year or so.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 03:09:22 »
I highly recommend a CRT for the Pincushion feel...

If you get an LCD there's going to be image lag no matter what, and the games won't give you that ah... "good ol' days"  sensation.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 03:27:08 »
I agree with tp4 for once, go CRT.   We've got a MAME cabinet near my desk at work loaded with mostly 80s-era classics.  Good stuff.

Incidentally, I just purchased one of these bad boys and have loaded my phone up with childhood SNES favorites.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 03:32:18 »
I agree with tp4 for once, go CRT.   We've got a MAME cabinet near my desk at work loaded with mostly 80s-era classics.  Good stuff.

Incidentally, I just purchased one of these bad boys and have loaded my phone up with childhood SNES favorites.

hazbaz, since you're the only one awake right now, did you give me that warning... ;D jerk...

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 03:37:46 »
If you want some hardwood panels to dress it up, hit me up. I think they would look pretty sweet for where the joysticks are
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 03:42:08 »
If you want some hardwood panels to dress it up, hit me up. I think they would look pretty sweet for where the joysticks are

OR the viewlix replica from HORI.  Now if you can make that from wood, ;D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 19:08:39 »
the cabinets in the OP are taito (?) astro city. another popular japanese sit-down cab is sega's blast city cab. if you're handy with wood (lol) and sketchup, you can make compatible cabs with some MDF, glue, nails and a few hinges, then buy the controller plates populated directly from japanese (akihabarashop is one option, see shoryuken for more refs). the controller mounting boards are the only really difficult part, and in my experience, you're way better off just getting a complete, populated blast city plate with a full wiring harness than trying to DIY that bit. there are a number of micro-based electrical controller front-ends. the only thing to really look out for is key rollover, and compatibility with the wiring harness you end up with. believe me, it's worth paying more for something that's will just socket into your controllers. wiring everything by hand is a mess. also, budget lots of extra microswitches and other wear parts if your box will see high usage. when you were a kid, you didn't see the tech that replaced all the microswitches and restrictors every month at the local arcade; but now, you get to be that tech!

source: until recently have been screwing around with/maintaining a hyperspin based full-mdf, very diy and VERY heavily trafficked mame/emu box built by some friends for the last year or so.

Kawa, I said slowly! Not feed me info from a firehose!!  :p

I'm pretty new to woodworking. I'm hesitant to go CRT because of the sheer weight I'd have to support. Plus I don't want this to be too big since my apartment is relatively small.

It might be awesome to have a hardwood panel/box to hold the joystick. I'll let you know once I get there.Right now I'm thinking that the cabinet/furniture itself is going to be something I mod from Ikea. Unless my friend can help me make something better or has something laying around that he'll donate.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 19:13:37 »
Are you making a 16:9 box or a 4:3 box.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 19:14:54 »

I have no idea. I was just gonna run it off that LCD I have in the OP.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 08:22:08 »

I have no idea. I was just gonna run it off that LCD I have in the OP.

you're gonna use a 23" lcd?

I recommend a 27-32", because at 23 inches, you're going to have to sit quite close to this thing, and that was a fatal flaw of the older arcades, eye strain from having to sit so close to the monitor.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 08:31:00 »
we used a 20" 4:3 with no issues at normal distances

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 16:15:04 »

Yes, but screens are so inexpensive, since you're never going to be able to fit a "different" screen size in the same cabinet, why not build it with the largest sensible one.

it's hard to find good 4:3 panels these days...

OP, you should consider the possibility of screen rotation, because there are lots of great vertical scroller titles that would be much much larger if the screen was portrait. while it'd be abysmally small on landscape.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 16:24:09 »

Yes, but screens are so inexpensive, since you're never going to be able to fit a "different" screen size in the same cabinet, why not build it with the largest sensible one.

OP, you should consider the possibility of screen rotation, because there are lots of great vertical scroller titles that would be much much larger if the screen was portrait. while it'd be abysmally small on landscape.

I actually don't like 27" on a desk. I find that if I'm sitting at my desk, with my monitors 2 arms-lengths away from me, 23" are the best size. 27" is too much screen to focus on. I have two 23" screen right now. I'm currently looking for a new monitor to potentially replace the 23" I have in the OP but I can't find anything that doesn't say "OMG, KOREAN IPS 27 INCH".

I'm actually considering grabbing a CRT now since they're so cheap. Can't hurt to experiment with the 2 screens to see which ones I like more.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 18:52:29 »

I actually don't like 27" on a desk. I find that if I'm sitting at my desk, with my monitors 2 arms-lengths away from me, 23" are the best size. 27" is too much screen to focus on. I have two 23" screen right now. I'm currently looking for a new monitor to potentially replace the 23" I have in the OP but I can't find anything that doesn't say "OMG, KOREAN IPS 27 INCH".

I'm actually considering grabbing a CRT now since they're so cheap. Can't hurt to experiment with the 2 screens to see which ones I like more.

CRTs are great... Ideally FW900 is the holy grail.. but quite rare... the only other good gaming crt is the "sony wega widescreen ones" these are also quite rare..

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 19:30:43 »
I know the CRTs are best for gaming, but this is 2013...  Are you going to notice lag on a 2ms LED panel? nah

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 20:52:19 »

yes, we used that panel because we had a stable of decommissioned ones we could draw from (and that we did, at least one died on us). that said, i think i'd go for a 1080p 23" if i were to do it again, especially for a sit-down cab. you're actually quite close to the monitor with the japanese style 2p cabinets.

otoh, if you wanted four controllers and an original eg turtles in time style american standing cabinet, i'd go for the bigger 27" size (although again, 1080p, since you're going to have a heck of a time upscaling everything above <=_480i_ anyway)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 20:55:05 »

yes, we used that panel because we had a stable of decommissioned ones we could draw from (and that we did, at least one died on us). that said, i think i'd go for a 1080p 23" if i were to do it again, especially for a sit-down cab. you're actually quite close to the monitor with the japanese style 2p cabinets.

otoh, if you wanted four controllers and an original eg turtles in time style american standing cabinet, i'd go for the bigger 27" size (although again, 1080p, since you're going to have a heck of a time upscaling everything above <=_480i_ anyway)

HM. So many options for screens.

I'm thinking just 2P cab kawa.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 21:09:19 »
there's also the 24" 16:10 option. these give you a bit more vertical real resolution while not physically being much larger than the 23" panels.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 14:03:48 »
there's also the 24" 16:10 option. these give you a bit more vertical real resolution while not physically being much larger than the 23" panels.

why not go 30" then... it's not like you won't be able to do other stuff on this thing..

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 17:53:12 »

why not go 30" then... it's not like you won't be able to do other stuff on this thing..

I'm not hooking it up to the internet or any network. Isolating it literally just for games.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 19:52:01 »

I'm not hooking it up to the internet or any network. Isolating it literally just for games.

but then how are you going to play kaillera and pwnzorz all dem' n0bers.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 19:53:13 »
With my rig ^_^

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 19:53:30 »

It might be awesome to have a hardwood panel/box to hold the joystick. I'll let you know once I get there.Right now I'm thinking that the cabinet/furniture itself is going to be something I mod from Ikea. Unless my friend can help me make something better or has something laying around that he'll donate.

Great, once you decide to send me some drawings with some dimensions and I'll do my best to match it

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 19:56:04 »

Great, once you decide to send me some drawings with some dimensions and I'll do my best to match it

Soooo tempting. We'll see how this project goes. I want to get the machine running first. Really appreciate the offer though ^_^

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 19:57:23 »

Soooo tempting. We'll see how this project goes. I want to get the machine running first. Really appreciate the offer though ^_^

Well, I'm always there. And I typically do harder/newer projects for less $$$ since I don't know how hard it will be so I tend to undersell.

+rests are getting boring and I'm always looking for challenges

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 20:00:39 »
Sounds good. I'll talk to you when I'm ready for that part of the project.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 20:02:36 »
Sounds good. I'll talk to you when I'm ready for that part of the project.

Awwww yeaaa, I like it hard ;P

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 23:07:26 »
Now that I've made a bit of progress and we've discussed displays ad naseum, I'd like to ask if anyone knows a place where I can get a joystick and buttons to make the controller. And maybe some knowledge as to how it all can get hooked up.

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 09:47:38 »
Here are some OLD pics of a couple cabinets I built. For a while, Mame (actually all emulation) was my life. I also had a full size standup cabinet but have no pics of it handy.

Bartop Arcade

13291-0

13292-1

13293-2

13294-3

13295-4

Cocktail Cabinet

13296-5

Sorry for the quality and randomness of the pics but you get the idea,
John

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 09:52:23 »
Awesome, that cocktail unit looks so good jcrouse

Offline epicsilas

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 11:16:33 »
I just remembered that some guy on Indiegogo or something was making arcade buttons with Cherry MX switches. I'll try to find a link.
EDIT: Found it. http://www.indiegogo.com/HBFS30

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 11:31:07 »
NICE jcrouse!

MX switches probably aren't the best for arcade buttons imo. imo, what you want is really light but very tactile switches. cherry does have a microswitch line that fits the bill; they're used in the il eurostick (that we ended up using) and are actually a staple vendingg machine switch as well.

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 12:06:33 »
If I remember correctly, the more desirable buttons had leaf switches and they were Cherry brand. One of the best sources is Happ Controls.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 12:13:10 »
If I remember correctly, the more desirable buttons had leaf switches and they were Cherry brand. One of the best sources is Happ Controls.

Thank you! I'm looking for the joysticks and buttons like you have in your pics. And that site looks amazing. And affordable. Now I need to buy em and figure out wiring.

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 12:17:47 »
Also, I believe the topic had an earlier discussion about monitors. I think you really need to base the decision on what vintage of games you plan on playing. I was an 80's guy and interested in stuff like pacman and donkey kong. Most of those game video was 15.75 hz. Most modern video cards do not support that mode. This is why mame has all the video settings available in the ini file. However, to look good it really needs to be done at the hardware level. There was someone making a special video card with an nVidia chipset thst would handle all the original modes. That paired with the proper arcade monitor, with a vga connector will accurately reproduce the vintage games.

Offline jcrouse

Re: Re: Making a MAME Cabinet
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 12:22:05 »

Thank you! I'm looking for the joysticks and buttons like you have in your pics. And that site looks amazing. And affordable. Now I need to buy em and figure out wiring.

Have you spent an time looking at the example cabinets or on the forums at arcadecontrols.com. You need to spend some time their to plan properly. I got out of this about 5 years ago and many new small specialized vendors were popping up. The hobby was really growing at that time.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 12:24:46 »
I've spent very little time on research because I don't really know what I'm doing and I'm just kind of winging it. Part of the reason why I made this thread.

And no I haven't really looked into monitors too much. I like the same games you like I think. But I was really planning on just building this first one and going from there. I didn't want to sink TOO much money into this yet.

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 12:36:41 »
Yes, start small and don't overspend but remember resesrch and self education is free. That forum used to be one of the bedt communities I ever belonged to. The people there were extremely helpful.

John

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 12:39:42 »
Thanks for the info john, I'll have to check it out when I get the  chance.. Knowledge is always good :D

Someone earlier in this thread suggested just picking up an old CRT monitor to use as a display. Do you have any experience with this? The ones I saw in that forum looks like hobbyist or actual screens used in cabs. I don't want to shell out $500 for just the screen yet...

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 12:46:44 »
Yes, that was how I started. It was in a full sized upright cabinet of which I have no pictures. It was a 21" IBM branded CRT. It was a great way to start. You can also save money by not going with a trackball. They are expensive and mostly used for the golf games.

Where are you located?