Author Topic: Flipped the space bar around, WOW......  (Read 35185 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Flipped the space bar around, WOW......
« on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 12:36:46 »
Aww... Yea..... mmm..hm.... yea that's good...   :D

Y is this so much more awesome??????

I think this settles another argument for me.. OEM profile spacebar > Cherry profile

Because the spacebar is taller, you can reach it more easily providing tighter control on typing rhythm  :)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: Flipped the space bar around, WOW......
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 12:40:30 »

I think this settles another argument for me.. OEM profile spacebar > Cherry profile

Because the spacebar is taller, you can reach it more easily providing tighter control on typing rhythm  :)

Try one of the ones from EK -- either frontwards or backwards.  I think you will like it.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=sb_u2

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 12:42:29 »

Try one of the ones from EK -- either frontwards or backwards.  I think you will like it.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=sb_u2

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

what's special about this spacebar?

fk it... $3.5... I can afford to splurge a little  :D

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 13:23:09 »

I'm curious to know too.

I agree about the flipping around. Soooo much easier on the thumb when you're holding spacebar down to pan around photoshop and illustrator all day. Same with the Alt key.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 13:33:30 »
I'll flip between the 2, It's a matter of where it is. When I don't have a proper Palmrest or a Table of which my keyboard is on, i'll flip the Spacebar around to provide easier typing. When I'm playing games, however, I'll use it normally. I first saw it on, I think, the Korean Keyboards thread, and I tried it. It's AMAZING for typing, but not so much for gaming...I don't know why, I'm just used to playing games with a normal spacebar.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 14:28:31 »
I'll flip between the 2, It's a matter of where it is. When I don't have a proper Palmrest or a Table of which my keyboard is on, i'll flip the Spacebar around to provide easier typing. When I'm playing games, however, I'll use it normally. I first saw it on, I think, the Korean Keyboards thread, and I tried it. It's AMAZING for typing, but not so much for gaming...I don't know why, I'm just used to playing games with a normal spacebar.

Those who embrace change survive, those who fear it will slowly and painfully perish .....

I also think the dissonance between Gaming and Typing is that when you game, you're hitting the TOP  of the space bar, which the normal orientation is just dandy..

However, when you type, the right hand is usually hitting the "Lower" lip of the space bar, and this is where superior contour of the "flipped-orientation" comes into play  :D :D :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 14:40:22 »
I believe this has increased my typing prowess by a good 6.1%.... I am now averaging 138 vs 130

Offline inteli722

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 16:05:50 »

Those who embrace change survive, those who fear it will slowly and painfully perish .....

I also think the dissonance between Gaming and Typing is that when you game, you're hitting the TOP  of the space bar, which the normal orientation is just dandy..

However, when you type, the right hand is usually hitting the "Lower" lip of the space bar, and this is where superior contour of the "flipped-orientation" comes into play  :D :D :D

You hit the nail on the head. I can type with the Spacebar normally, but It's the only way I can when gaming, whereas I can flip between the two when I'm typing. Although I'm not suggesting that we ALL flip to this (That would be more up TotalChaos' alley, though I don't know how ergonomic it would be, so he may strive to stop people from using it, since he appears to be all about the ergonomics), but I think a Spacebar that had an extended surface that was curved down would be cool.
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 16:51:15 »

fk it... $3.5... I can afford to splurge a little  :D

A couple of things -- beyond the low cost.

- It has a different profile, somewhere between OEM and Cherry.

- It has a textured top surface that is nicely done.

- It works well in both orientations.

And yeah, for $3.50, it is worth a try.  I have a few different spacebars and try them with different keyboards and keycap sets to see what works best.  The three common ones are:
 - SP "Universal"  in ABS
 - OEM/Tall (WASD is a good source) in ABS
 - PBT Cherry/Imsto profile -- but PBT spacebars warp, so they need to be straightened with a hairdryer. Easy to do.

And the one from EK.  Counting orientations, that makes eight spacebar interfaces.

And then there are stabilizers, switch types, and springs.  Sheesh.

What was the question again?

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 16:54:08 »
Just flipped my SP spacebar around for some gaming....oh my, I think I like it better for typing as well. Although it does look outta place :D

Offline inteli722

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 16:57:44 »
Just flipped my SP spacebar around for some gaming....oh my, I think I like it better for typing as well. Although it does look outta place :D
It does, yes, but I think typing without a wristwrest with it flipped like that is a bit easier on the wrists, though it's probably better overall that you have a wristwrest whether it be one of Beast's nice wooden ones or just the curved side of your computer table (I, unfortunately, happen to be using the latter)...
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 17:13:44 »

You hit the nail on the head. I can type with the Spacebar normally, but It's the only way I can when gaming, whereas I can flip between the two when I'm typing. Although I'm not suggesting that we ALL flip to this (That would be more up TotalChaos' alley, though I don't know how ergonomic it would be, so he may strive to stop people from using it, since he appears to be all about the ergonomics), but I think a Spacebar that had an extended surface that was curved down would be cool.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823665001

This keyboard has the perfect space bar...  Too bad the rest of it suxorz.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 17:21:42 »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823665001

This keyboard has the perfect space bar...  Too bad the rest of it suxorz.

Those were the keyboards my old school had (primarily because I lived close to the Dell HQ) and those were the keyboards I kinda started typing on (and kinda where I got the suggestion from). Longer spacebar to allow more thumb contact and more comfortable typing without a wristwrest...
More

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 20:07:46 »
I'm not really feeling any "amazing" results, it's definitely interesting though.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 20:44:45 »
I'm not really feeling any "amazing" results, it's definitely interesting though.
It's easier to type w/o a wristwrest.
More

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 22:19:29 »
I just received my first SP set this week and I too flipped the spacebar and found it much improved. Bananas that this spacebar profile is used so much that putting it on backwards makes such an improvement.  :-\

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 14:05:14 »
i am going to necro this post since it is a interesting discussion.

i have been rocking the flipped spacebar for a few months now and i am totally hooked. it feels so good on my custom 60% with a low profile aluminum vortex case. it is much more natural feeling for me to have the bar backwards now. i think it is the soft angle my thumbs can hover on when i am slappin da keys.

SPH spacebars cannot be flipped. my round 4 SPH set spacebar is the same no matter how your flip it. pretty nuts. i have found myself not really grooving on the SPH spacebar and the TKL that set currently resides on has a Dolch space on it so i can flip it like a boss.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 14:06:52 »
I really liked the feel of the flipped spacebar on the FC660C and also when using an imsto thick pbt spacebar with dsa retro.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 14:12:38 »
I really liked the feel of the flipped spacebar on the FC660C and also when using an imsto thick pbt spacebar with dsa retro.

are you flipping the space on all your boards or only a select few utilizing certain profiles?  i am backwards on everything now.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 14:14:07 »

are you flipping the space on all your boards or only a select few utilizing certain profiles?  i am backwards on everything now.

I've only ever tried it on those two instances mentioned. Perhaps I should see what a backwards gmk space bar feels like....

Offline TrueOP

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 17:13:20 »
Flipping spacebar on my Noppoo was bestest decision ever.  Its been about 3 months like this and can't see myself ever switching back  ;D

I've messed around with flipping some other keys such as arrows and and delete, etc, but spacebar is only mod like this i found that is functionally ergonomic.
Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 17:17:32 »
I used to care about flipping the space bar... Hence this thread...

BUT THEN,   a star shower gleamed across the night sky.

A thunderous sound rumbled from my back yard.

I investigated, and recovered the asteroid.

It split open in two as soon as it cooled on my kitchen counter and inside was an Ergodox kit.

Heaven ordained..  Ergodox and Me.

You can too, head over to mass drop today.

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 17:55:31 »

It split open in two as soon as it cooled on my kitchen counter and inside was an Ergodox kit.

how do you flip the space bar on a mass drop?

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 18:39:49 »
Will have to keep trying it out to see how i feel about this...
More

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 19:07:37 »
Flipped spacebars are the best. They look really broken and everyone will question it but it angles it perfectly for your thumbs.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 19:09:05 »
dude you guys should try flipping all the keys!!!! it's what halverson and I do and it feels great. Why stop at only the space bar ?
I love Elzy

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 19:11:28 »
dude you guys should try flipping all the keys!!!! it's what halverson and I do and it feels great. Why stop at only the space bar ?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaahahha :D

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 19:15:27 »

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaahahha :D

I flip all my keys on my ergodox, 4LYFE

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 19:19:08 »
I flip my case upside down when I'm feeling dangerous!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 19:37:07 »
I flip my case upside down when I'm feeling dangerous!

unpossible

Living on the edge!!1!

"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 19:50:24 »

how do you flip the space bar on a mass drop?

This is the best thing I have read all day.

Offline RubyGoldberg

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 00:39:00 »
This thread. I absolutely have to try this once i get my keyboard in! This seems like something amazing, or as said before, an elaborate prank.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 00:43:43 »
This thread. I absolutely have to try this once i get my keyboard in! This seems like something amazing, or as said before, an elaborate prank.

You must try it! I can vouch for it, especially if you have smaller hands. Once adjusted, your thumbs will naturally land more flat on the spacebar without the bottom edge hitting your thumb!

It may look weird at first, but the feels will justify it :P

Here are some pics of what it looks like when flipped!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 00:49:06 »
It does look totally weird, and my first instinct is still to say "you've put it on the wrong way around".

I am yet to gather enough courage to try this myself, but OTOH I do not have a problem with space bars in the conventional orientation.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 00:51:09 »
It does look totally weird, and my first instinct is still to say "you've put it on the wrong way around".

I am yet to gather enough courage to try this myself, but OTOH I do not have a problem with space bars in the conventional orientation.

I didn't really have a problem with the conventional orientation either, but I tried it out anyway out of curiosity a lil' over a year ago... my world was changed... Try it now... Just do it. It'll only take like 30 seconds to do it :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 00:57:01 »

I didn't really have a problem with the conventional orientation either, but I tried it out anyway out of curiosity a lil' over a year ago... my world was changed... Try it now... Just do it. It'll only take like 30 seconds to do it :P

Not while I am at work repairing a server, maybe when I get home (he said, knowing full well that he is currently using a Model M at home and those space bars cannot be flipped).  OTOH I might switch back to my Ducky which I am kinda missing, and try there.  Cherry stabs too, so no fiddling around with Costar inserts.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 01:07:08 »

Not while I am at work repairing a server, maybe when I get home (he said, knowing full well that he is currently using a Model M at home and those space bars cannot be flipped).  OTOH I might switch back to my Ducky which I am kinda missing, and try there.  Cherry stabs too, so no fiddling around with Costar inserts.

At first, I was like WTF work?! It's 2 AM, then I realized you were in my old hometown :)) Sounds like a plan. Let me know what you think! Give it a day, at least. If you say you don't like it after some good typing sessions for a day or two, I can't say otherwise :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 01:09:07 »
I might ask why you are up and posting at 2am! ;)  :p

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 01:11:10 »

A messed up sleep schedule and flexible work hours :))

What I can ask YOU is, what are you doing browsing GH at work! ;) :P Teehee~

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 01:13:08 »

A messed up sleep schedule and flexible work hours :))

What I can ask YOU is, what are you doing browsing GH at work! ;) :P Teehee~

I am repairing a server, and attentively watching a RAID rebuild.

Currently at 46% with about 111 minutes to go.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 02:58:07 »
Hmm not bad at all

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 03:09:06 »
But... where to get adapters for angled switch mounting?

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 03:18:41 »
Hmm not bad at all

Show Image

>:D Looks like we might have another huhuhu~ Keep it like that for a day or two... it'll stay that way... forever.

But... where to get adapters for angled switch mounting?

Eh???

Offline skuko

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 03:26:32 »
i was like - wtf is this crap, then i switched the stabilizer stems around and ..... WOW

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 03:28:33 »
i was like - wtf is this crap, then i switched the stabilizer stems around and ..... WOW

Huhuhu~ :D Feels good, man. Now time to do it to everyone of your keyboards :P

Offline ohgodpleaseno

• Nonononono please no
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 03:38:19 »
I flipped the spacebar on the FC660C without really knowing this was a popular thing!(It just felt too sharp the way I was using it.) Super glad to see others on the same page with this! :thumb:

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 03:46:29 »
I hate to say it. But it really feels a lot better.

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 03:48:28 »
I flipped the spacebar on the FC660C without really knowing this was a popular thing!(It just felt too sharp the way I was using it.) Super glad to see others on the same page with this! :thumb:

You're a natural :P

I hate to say it. But it really feels a lot better.

Why would you hate to say it? :P It is what it is, which is it feels awesome :P