Author Topic: Will a Filco top panel fit other, cheaper keyboards?  (Read 4290 times)

Offline spash11

Will a Filco top panel fit other, cheaper keyboards?
« on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 22:17:38 »
Was just wondering whether the top panel for a filco majestouch tenkeyless (camo) will fit a cheaper board such as a HPE 87 key or Keycool 87 key (e.g. this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HPE-87-Mechanical-Gaming-keyboard-Cherry-MX-Black-switches-W-Black-body-/300738923231?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item46056fcadf)?

Any feedback or ideas to make it fit, even if it won't right of the bat will be much appreciated :D

Filco Camo top:

HPE87 board:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Will a Filco top panel fit other, cheaper keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 22:34:32 »
It probably will...

But what's the point?

It's like girls who get major plastic surgery,, yea,, they're prettier, but you just got that little "emotional" hiccup where it's not "all there"....

Like you could buy a fake  Dali, and it could be a great forgery, but, there's just that little thing in the back of your mind.

Offline spash11

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 01:43:17 »
It probably will...

But what's the point?

It's like girls who get major plastic surgery,, yea,, they're prettier, but you just got that little "emotional" hiccup where it's not "all there"....

Like you could buy a fake  Dali, and it could be a great forgery, but, there's just that little thing in the back of your mind.

You make a very good point, however this filco board has become a very rare commodity in Australia (at a reasonable price). I think replacing the top panel of a cheaper keyboard could be a cost effective solution, although I'm even now considering spending a bit extra and one-upping the original filco with some shiny backlights :D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 01:59:26 »
You may need the bottom half and maybe even the plate.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 02:05:29 »
You could also buy a QFR for a similar price and I'm fairly certain it works no problem.

I have been wrong, though, but everything else that fits that filco works with the QFR.

Offline spash11

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 02:11:44 »
You could also buy a QFR for a similar price and I'm fairly certain it works no problem.

I have been wrong, though, but everything else that fits that filco works with the QFR.

Thanks for the suggestion, but QFR's are also a rare commodity in AUS >_>. Even on Amazon none of them seem to ship to my location :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 02:20:14 »

Thanks for the suggestion, but QFR's are also a rare commodity in AUS >_>. Even on Amazon none of them seem to ship to my location :(

QFR is rare???????

:D

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 02:54:36 »
Filco top will NOT fit on a QFR bottom. Owner of both can confirm. As for the boards you've mentioned I'm not sure, I'll let you know if I get my hands on any.
I love Elzy

Offline Nunez

• BACK!
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 02:55:23 »
It probably will...

But what's the point?

You make a very good point, however this filco board has become a very rare commodity in Australia (at a reasonable price). I think replacing the top panel of a cheaper keyboard could be a cost effective solution, although I'm even now considering spending a bit extra and one-upping the original filco with some shiny backlights :D

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/multicam-filco-tenkey-less-camouflage-mechanical-keyboard-tactile-silent-brown-cherry-keyswitches-n-key-rollover-w-sheathed-usb-cable-and-ps-2-converter-puller-green-wasd-keycaps/

They also have Blues and Blacks.

Note that price is shipped.
I miss Ripster :(
HHKB Pro 2 || KBC Poker || Filco MJ2

Offline spash11

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 03:12:54 »
It probably will...

But what's the point?

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/multicam-filco-tenkey-less-camouflage-mechanical-keyboard-tactile-silent-brown-cherry-keyswitches-n-key-rollover-w-sheathed-usb-cable-and-ps-2-converter-puller-green-wasd-keycaps/

They also have Blues and Blacks.

Note that price is shipped.

Oh, wow! That is actually very decent. How did I skim over this gem? >_>

Offline Nunez

• BACK!
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 03:23:46 »
Not sure lol, I would have initially said PC Case Gear, but their variety seems smaller now for Filco boards.
I miss Ripster :(
HHKB Pro 2 || KBC Poker || Filco MJ2

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 03:31:16 »
No TKL Filco.  But they do have TK Filco camouflage.

I'm waiting to see whether PCCG get the Ducky Zero TKL in.  Might give QFR a run for its money in Australia, especially seeing as how hardly anywhere has the QFR any more.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline spash11

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 04:03:29 »
No TKL Filco.  But they do have TK Filco camouflage.

I'm waiting to see whether PCCG get the Ducky Zero TKL in.  Might give QFR a run for its money in Australia, especially seeing as how hardly anywhere has the QFR any more.

YES! THIS! ^^^ Ducky zero is so well priced on PCCG, if only TKL!!!

Offline LifeIsGooD2

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 10:22:20 »
how do I take the top of my filco off ? I want to switch the tops between my two filcos ... I like the top of the red ninja better but I use my old brown

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 11:17:21 »
how do I take the top of my filco off ? I want to switch the tops between my two filcos ... I like the top of the red ninja better but I use my old brown

de screw,, stick credit card between "front",  PULL outwards, gently......   then do the back... ALWAYS do the front first...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 16:13:41 »
The screw is ion the middle on the bottom under the silver(?) sticker.

Guitar picks and Ipad repair tools work good for opening them.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 13:05:02 »
Filco top will NOT fit on a QFR bottom. Owner of both can confirm. As for the boards you've mentioned I'm not sure, I'll let you know if I get my hands on any.

what about the other way around, will a QFR top fit on a FILCO bottom?

Offline cyberwave

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 13:08:50 »

what about the other way around, will a QFR top fit on a FILCO bottom?

i doubt it.. since the screw holes do not line up.
need an owner of both boards to confirm :o